OFFICIAL things I’d probably never own but love to take advantage of if I encounter one thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

OFFICIAL things I’d probably never own but love to take advantage of if I encounter one thread

Post by rass »

a hammock
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL things I’d probably never own but love to take advantage of if I encounter one thread

Post by mister d »

Did some beach hammocking in Mexico. Lovely.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL things I’d probably never own but love to take advantage of if I encounter one thread

Post by Ryan »

Hot tub
Ping pong table
Lobby bathroom
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

this reminded me to order a hammock from the REI sale
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Fully equipped Japanese Toilet.

Really old Highland Park scotch (or similar)
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We bought a ping pong table when we moved. Wife was looking for things to get the kids excited about moving (my daughter was devasted leaving the only house she lived in). Gotta say, it gets little use. The echo of the balls from the basement fills the house, so we usually only play when my wife isn't home. Plus it always leads to fights. My daughter beats my son and taunts him, then she gets pissed because she can't beat me.

Previous house had Japanese toilet seat attachments the previous owners left. Couldn't figure out how to make them work, and I didn't want to fuck with the plumbing to try it out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

kinda stunned that it took seven posts to say "a boat"
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:15 pm kinda stunned that it took seven posts to say "a boat"
Ugh. You know the old saying. What are the two favorite days of a boat owner?
The day he buys it.
And, the day he gets rid of it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A second house on a lake that has a sailboat on one side of the dock, and a fishing boat on the other.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A beachfront condo that has a beautiful deck overlooking the beach and an equally beautiful view of the bay from your front porch.

A convertible

Country club membership
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A hammock is heaven. And you have a good backyard for some lazing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A concubine
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:15 pm kinda stunned that it took seven posts to say "a boat"
As a sailor, having friends with boats is WAY better than owning a boat.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its not ownership, but fits the spirit of the question I think: First class flight. I can't picture myself at a point where I pay several hundred dollars just for a nicer chair for a finite period of time.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Kayak

(although intrigued about the fold-up variety)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:20 am Its not ownership, but fits the spirit of the question I think: First class flight. I can't picture myself at a point where I pay several hundred dollars just for a nicer chair for a finite period of time.
I used to get free upgrades when I flew a lot for work. I definitely got used to that perk, and miss it now. But, as you said, I’d have to be pretty damned rich to actually pay for it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:20 am Its not ownership, but fits the spirit of the question I think: First class flight. I can't picture myself at a point where I pay several hundred dollars just for a nicer chair for a finite period of time.
I wonder that every time. The only time it might make sense are transoceanic flights. But even then, the delta is often crazy. Is one night's sleep worth a couple grand?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:15 pm
I wonder that every time. The only time it might make sense are transoceanic flights. But even then, the delta is often crazy. Is one night's sleep worth a couple grand?
Maybe try southwest instead?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume its almost always businesses paying for their employees to be super ready for that big presentation!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Frequent travelers who upgrade. Credit Card warriors too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, what you guys said about credit cards. We are currently in "Companion Pass" status with SW and flew out to Denver for zero cash (used points and then the pass.)

=-=-=-=-=-=

I've mentioned this before, but I have a very difficult time buying tickets to sporting events after years of access to a suite at Capitals games.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh yeah, I meant out of pocket, where its a decision between "do I pay real money or not".
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:15 pm
I'll fess up, I paid an extra $700 when my son returned from Germany last month so he could fly in the Condor Airlines business class.

Partly this was so he could sleep and have an easier time getting acclimated to the time change, since he didn't have a very long time until his next semester was starting. Partly it was so he could bring another suitcase, since he was moving back to the States. And partly it was because I had been doing a shit-ton of work on a case that was earning me a bunch of money.

I'd never spend that kind of money on myself though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, it's different when it's for your kid. Good on you there, Steve.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The only time I've ever flown in an upgraded seat was when I took the contacted carrier flight (known as a 'rotator') from Baltimore to Germany as part of my military move. I checked in early and asked about it. Sometimes the planes are the type Southwest uses, other times they are bigger. Depends on the contact for that flight. I got lucky that day.

It's typically based on rank as to who gets to board first, naturally, since nearly everyone aboard is military or military adjacent.

The other way you can get upgraded is that they'll call for a 'baggage team' and about 20 lower enlisted are voluntold get added to load crew for checked baggage. Yes, this is a thing because free labor is free labor in all facets of military life.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:12 pm Fully equipped Japanese Toilet.

How old is really old, I recently (with help from friends) drank a 30 year old bottle of Orkney's finest, and it was really lovely.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Tom 1860 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:41 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:12 pm Fully equipped Japanese Toilet.

How old is really old, I recently (with help from friends) drank a 30 year old bottle of Orkney's finest, and it was really lovely.
(Drooling)

Considering that a 30 year old bottle of Highland Park sells for $3,000... that qualifies.
Canadian International
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I have been collecting single malt whiskies from all over the world for the past 10 - 15 years and it represents a small part of my retirement plan.

I have some Bowmore, MacCallan, Highland Park, Yamazaki, Hibiki, Penderyn and Sullivan's Cove bottles stored away, which I will sell when I am 60. I try to get two bottles of each, so that I can enjoy them and I am not just building my pension pot.

I also have a pretty good run on picking up 'World Whiskies Award' winning bottles at retail price (two of each) as long as they are not really expensive, retail wise. Again drinking is key...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:50 am I have been collecting single malt whiskies from all over the world for the past 10 - 15 years and it represents a small part of my retirement plan.

I have some Bowmore, MacCallan, Highland Park, Yamazaki, Hibiki, Penderyn and Sullivan's Cove bottles stored away, which I will sell when I am 60. I try to get two bottles of each, so that I can enjoy them and I am not just building my pension pot.

I also have a pretty good run on picking up 'World Whiskies Award' winning bottles at retail price (two of each) as long as they are not really expensive, retail wise. Again drinking is key...
Let me know if you decide you need some bourbon in your collection!
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:56 am
Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:50 am I have been collecting single malt whiskies from all over the world for the past 10 - 15 years and it represents a small part of my retirement plan.

Let me know if you decide you need some bourbon in your collection!
I do have a bit of Bourbon, but I don't really know enough about it. I will say that I like what I have tasted and probably need to be educated in this area.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:49 pma hammock
HAMMOCKS ROCK!
or something like that - won't use a tent for camping anymore.. haven't really spent that much on it, not like i'm a hammock connoisseur