NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:42 pm
Ryan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:06 pm Anyone care to guess the school responsible for the absolute dumbest loss ever?
[+] spoiler
https://x.com/mcallistermike1/status/17 ... Z6KGOlLOIg
Both of those whistles were suspect.
Looks like the ref on that first call fell for the defender’s flop, right in front of his face. Just a horrible call.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:24 am
Ryan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:06 pm Anyone care to guess the school responsible for the absolute dumbest loss ever?
[+] spoiler
Looks like the ref on that first call fell for the defender’s flop, right in front of his face. Just a horrible call.
Also, he had to know that the defense was going to try that.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:32 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:24 am
[+] spoiler
Also, he had to know that the defense was going to try that.
First offense Delay of Game, second offense technical. It was described in that Powerpoint slideshow he probably clicked through during the offseason.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I don't like Rutgers getting a #2 ranked recruiting class. Harper and Ace Baily are both top 3 ranked recruits. Rutgers are supposed to be quality wins for other B1G teams and not better than Maryland....
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t want them to if it’s fucks up in-state tuition.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:10 pm I don’t want them to if it’s fucks up in-state tuition.
timely, post incoming (not the HM post, also incoming)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:51 pm I don't like Rutgers getting a #2 ranked recruiting class. Harper and Ace Baily are both top 3 ranked recruits. Rutgers are supposed to be quality wins for other B1G teams and not better than Maryland....
That's nuts. I can't remember the last time a school came out of nowhere and signed two players like that. Has Rutgers ever signed anyone in the top 10 before? In the pre-NIL days, all of my red flags would have gone up, but there's really no need for secret payments anymore.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the only way I've heard of skirting rules is paying recruits to visit prior to any type of official commitment.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Even factoring in NIL, it's kind of odd, since Rutgers has next to no basketball history. I mean, they lost to Wake Forest by 19 just last night. I get that it's a large school with close access to a lot of population, but I'm really surprised if they have that kind of NIL funding to compete with the blue bloods for talent.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yeah but Harper is the brother of the Harper who just graduated and turned his Rutgers experience into a Toronto Raptor's roster spot (and son of the the former Chicago Bull).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:27 am Even factoring in NIL, it's kind of odd, since Rutgers has next to no basketball history. I mean, they lost to Wake Forest by 19 just last night. I get that it's a large school with close access to a lot of population, but I'm really surprised if they have that kind of NIL funding to compete with the blue bloods for talent.
Just curious…how regulated are NIL funding sources?
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If Rutgers just put "JERSEY" on the unis they'd be 5x more competitive
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

As I understand it, there are almost no real regulations or rules within the NCAA around funding sources at the moment. They are about to put that issue to bed with a list of rules/regs in January (or thereabouts.)

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-nil-cae ... 4068d905a4
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder if the blue bloods and major state schools are pushing for something akin to FFP to keep everyone else down from never coming up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, UVA beat NC Central the other night (a pre-exams cupcake) and the NCCU team's leading scorer (although he only got 4 against UVA) is Po'Boigh King.

Best name I've heard in a while.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... boigh-king
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is that (1) his given name and (2) pronounced like the sandwich?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:14 pm Is that (1) his given name and (2) pronounced like the sandwich?
1. I think so
2. Yes (the game announcers said he told them he's never actually had a Po' boy, which is wild.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Things up in Ann Arbor are on wobbly legs. Lots of smoke about a behind doors, but in front of the entire team, dust up between Howard and the S/C coach. ALLEGEDLY Howard's kid was being a problem and the S/C called him out and stated "this is why the culture here is messed up" (or words to that effect.) Juwan then gets in Sanderson's face and hilarity ensues.

Juwan's team made the E8 his second year and the S16 in year 3 (though, of note, that team finished 19-15 and that team underperformed by most metrics.) Last year they crapped out in the NIT after another underwhelming season where Howard was suspended for punching a Wiskey asst coach.

He's losing recruiting and portal battles. His health is pretty questionable. I don't think he's in danger at the moment. If he can turn things around and have a competitive B1G campaign and make the tourney in March, he's fine.

But this is an extremely wonky team. He's fighting an uphill battle at this point.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume he'd finish this one out, but would Martelli get the nod if Howard were out after the season?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Know Howard is a big guy but what I've seen of major program strength and conditioning coaches maybe not the one to try
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:02 pm I assume he'd finish this one out, but would Martelli get the nod if Howard were out after the season?
There was a fake Jon Rothstein twitter account that posted a few days ago that Howard was stepping down due to his health and Martelli was taking other, duping some folks.

A little funny to look at the two of them and realize Howard is the one with health issues.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No one who isn't a mortician has ever looked more like a mortician.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had an earlier post on this (not long, just different) about Martelli's version of this team seeming to have more discipline and focus, especially down the stretch of the games where they've been horrible the last 2 weeks.

I like Juwan just fine, but he's on extremely thin ice ("zero tolerance" after last year's debacle.)

I think college basketball is turning into hot garbage, btw. It's one thing when a football team does something like Texas ST or CO and takes a huge gamble on the portal. But the impact on college basketball is such that its quite easy to turnover a starting 5 + 1 and just start over.

I don't think that environment is all that conducive to quality basketball. Pros are pros, these are still kids (except for COVID redshirts who are 37.)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

College basketball isn’t quite hot garbage. If a program is bordering on a volatile, toxic stew, yeah, the portal might just amplify that cuz the very reasons as to why the program is in such an iffy state would suggest the people in charge are not going to pick the right players out of it.

Then you have programs like UConn, where Dan Hurley plucked Cam Spencer out of the portal last Spring (Loyola, MD > Rutgers > UConn) to fill the gap left when Jordan Hawkins left for the NBA and Joey Calcaterra graduated from last year’s championship squad.

Also the kid who entered the portal out of Towson and landed at Kansas (Timberlake??) is an example of things going right for CBB.

Of course, then there’s the curious case of Caleb Love, who declared he was going to Michigan only to find out he didn’t have the grades to play there. Ouch. He’s doing well as a starting guard for top-ranked Arizona though.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The transfer rule was always bullshit. Coaches can leave at will without punishment but the unpaid labor had to sit out a year if they didn't stay at the university they committed to as a high schooler, regardless of broken promises, being recruited over, hating the location, etc, etc.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:45 pm The transfer rule was always bullshit. Coaches can leave at will without punishment but the unpaid labor had to sit out a year if they didn't stay at the university they committed to as a high schooler, regardless of broken promises, being recruited over, hating the location, etc, etc.
Agreed.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI is notorious for not accepting credits from other schools and fucking themselves with transfers. There's a reason the bulk of their football portal guys are from places like Stanford and UVa... Those are the few schools that you can directly transfer in credits.

It's infuriating, but very very MI.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:32 am MI is notorious for not accepting credits from other schools and fucking themselves with transfers. There's a reason the bulk of their football portal guys are from places like Stanford and UVa... Those are the few schools that you can directly transfer in credits.

Is that different from other schools in their general academic rankings?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:32 am MI is notorious for not accepting credits from other schools and fucking themselves with transfers. There's a reason the bulk of their football portal guys are from places like Stanford and UVa... Those are the few schools that you can directly transfer in credits.

Is that different from other schools in their general academic rankings?
I don't really know, tbh. It's a problem for places like ND and Stanford, for sure.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:36 pm I had an earlier post on this (not long, just different) about Martelli's version of this team seeming to have more discipline and focus, especially down the stretch of the games where they've been horrible the last 2 weeks.

I like Juwan just fine, but he's on extremely thin ice ("zero tolerance" after last year's debacle.)

I think college basketball is turning into hot garbage, btw. It's one thing when a football team does something like Texas ST or CO and takes a huge gamble on the portal. But the impact on college basketball is such that its quite easy to turnover a starting 5 + 1 and just start over.

I don't think that environment is all that conducive to quality basketball. Pros are pros, these are still kids (except for COVID redshirts who are 37.)
The rumblings on this are looking grim for Howard. As stated, he's on a zero tolerance probation (or whatever)... It's hard to know what really happened with the S/C coach, but if he threatened another employee with violence... That's hugely problematic.

As I read about it, the same type of thing is going on at Harvard, where the president pretty clearly plagiarized a number of research papers.

The similarity is the legal liabilities the schools face if they don't hold these two to account... A whole host of others are going to claim unfair labor practices (again, or whatever it's actually called.) Unfair treatment is the bottomline.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, but Love was transferring from UNC. If that's not good enough, there really aren't many schools left to select from. It's only 1 spot below Michigan in the latest US News rankings (and actually ahead of UVA this time around, which might be a first).
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:27 pm

Yeah, but Love was transferring from UNC. If that's not good enough, there really aren't many schools left to select from. It's only 1 spot below Michigan in the latest US News rankings (and actually ahead of UVA this time around, which might be a first).
EXACTLY!!!

That's what I'm saying. MI's transfer rules are, again, notoriously restrictive.... And stupid.

It's not, necessarily, the quality of the school, it's that they require VERY specific courses to transfer over for credits towards a major. And if you don't have enough transferrable credits, they won't bend. This isn't about athletes, btw, they are known just in general to be a major PITA for all transfers.

ETA - The reason I mentioned those other schools is that, apparently, they have better like-for-like classes making it easier. I mean, I guess UCF and TN-Martin have similar set-ups, cause we've pulled portal guys from there, too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rough night for the Zags last night. They are very much a mid-level team this year...able to beat the mediocre teams, but overmatched against someone like UConn or Purdue.

Not going to beat many good teams going 2-12 on 3 pointers.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think I saw Jae’Lyn Withers (UNC) commit about 14 fouls vs Kentucky tonight. Lots of dirty / cheap stuff, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:23 pm I think I saw Jae’Lyn Withers (UNC) commit about 14 fouls vs Kentucky tonight. Lots of dirty / cheap stuff, too.
Hey me too! But shit happens. I’ll take the W and move on. Louisville next. Which is just the type of game we will shit the bed.

Though generally we are ready to play that one.

Doublespeak. Deal with it!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We are still no better than the second best team in north Carolina though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 am Rough night for the Zags last night. They are very much a mid-level team this year...able to beat the mediocre teams, but overmatched against someone like UConn or Purdue.

Not going to beat many good teams going 2-12 on 3 pointers.
If not being as good as Purdue or UConn makes you mid-level, then 99% of the teams in the country are mid-level at best.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:05 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:23 pm I think I saw Jae’Lyn Withers (UNC) commit about 14 fouls vs Kentucky tonight. Lots of dirty / cheap stuff, too.
Hey me too! But shit happens. I’ll take the W and move on. Louisville next. Which is just the type of game we will shit the bed.

Though generally we are ready to play that one.

Doublespeak. Deal with it!
Louisville is not beating Kentucky. No chance. I take that back if they fire Kenny Payne before the game.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This thread was at the bottom of page 3 in case anyone wonders how compelling this season has been.

That said, all the wacky re-alignment due to football leads to some happy accidents in basketball like UCF getting to notch a home conference upset over Kansas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:22 pm This thread was at the bottom of page 3 in case anyone wonders how compelling this season has been.

That said, all the wacky re-alignment due to football leads to some happy accidents in basketball like UCF getting to notch a home conference upset over Kansas.
the season doesn’t matter until after the new year. Yes, all the early season tourneys are fire, but football warps minds.
Noli Timere Messorem