NFL 2023 - Week 14 - Bills play the “random headlines” game

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

NFL 2023 - Week 14 - Bills play the “random headlines” game

Post by rass »

At a hotel with no bar and DirecTV on non-smart TVs in the rooms so I think I need to go to a chili’s about 1/2 mile away to watch TNF.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: NFL 2023 - Week 14 - Bills play the “random headlines” game

Post by L-Jam3 »

McDermott: We need to stress coming together and communicating in the face of adversity.

Assistant Coach #1: Well, it can be a touchy subject, but if you can pull it off, there were great examples on 9/11.

McDermott: I got it! That’s a great suggestion! I’m going to my office now to write up some notes! (Gets up and heads out.)

Assistant Coach #2: Is he going to use the FDNY or United 93? Or something else?

Assistant Coach #3: (Calling to him down the hall.). Coach! The Fire Department or the Flight 93 guys?

McDermott: Neither! One even better!

Coach #1: What story from 9/11 is better than those two to illustrate teamwork?

Coaches all look at each other.

Coach #3: He’s not going to use… no, he’s not going use… no, that’s crazy talk.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can’t believe I bought bottomless chips and salsa and a couple of Bud Lights just watch this.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 pm Can’t believe I bought bottomless chips and salsa and a couple of Bud Lights just watch this.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Did you cucks want to gaslight me now or do I need to say the blatantly obvious things first?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Zappe. Zappe. Defense. But not special teams.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm actually disappointed by this win.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:21 pm I'm actually disappointed by this win.
They don't move anywhere in the draft order.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:21 pm I'm actually disappointed by this win.
They don't move anywhere in the draft order.
Still.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Dude literally got booed into taking a TO because he hadn't even remotely considered what he would do if 4th and short came along.

Stop.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 pm Did you cucks want to gaslight me now or do I need to say the blatantly obvious things first?
I am willing to listen a little more to you now, yes.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 am
Jerloma wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 pm Did you cucks want to gaslight me now or do I need to say the blatantly obvious things first?
He's a fucking disaster, man. "Oh, I'll just say it's redemption week and everyone will think I'm cool again!!" Like, what the fuck does that even mean? Who were you getting redemption on? You were gonna get back at the Cardinals by beating the Patriots? Did either of these 2 win teams even want to win those fucking games?

When's the last time any of you cucks saw a Steelers game where they looked like they had a game plan designed to exploit the other team's weaknesses? Fine, I'm a privileged asshole for thinking that barely winning one more ugly game than the ugly games that you fucking lose makes you Vince effin' Lombardi.

He's a PR guy. That's all he is. The standard is the standard or some shit. Stop.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Has...has Jerloma fucked all our wives?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 am Has...has Jerloma fucked all our wives?
I think he’s trying to hide the weaknesses of his arguments behind bluster and heightened language. Kind of Tomlin-esque. And ironic?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

There is this attorney for a client I work with whose name is Chuck. I invariably type cuck before catching it. One day though... Can't imagine I'd be the first
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's my new thing. You don't like it?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:21 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 am
He's a fucking disaster, man. "Oh, I'll just say it's redemption week and everyone will think I'm cool again!!" Like, what the fuck does that even mean? Who were you getting redemption on? You were gonna get back at the Cardinals by beating the Patriots? Did either of these 2 win teams even want to win those fucking games?

When's the last time any of you cucks saw a Steelers game where they looked like they had a game plan designed to exploit the other team's weaknesses? Fine, I'm a privileged asshole for thinking that barely winning one more ugly game than the ugly games that you fucking lose makes you Vince effin' Lombardi.

He's a PR guy. That's all he is. The standard is the standard or some shit. Stop.

The main issue right now is having any faith in Mitch Trubisky. I don't really care what your gameplan is, Mitch Trubisky will not execute it. I don't know why Tomlin continues to employ Trubisky.

The lucky wins shadowed the fact that this roster is pretty bad outside of a few players - they need like 6 new defensive starters.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:52 am
If you want to sound like a red-pilled, too-online dickhead, it's good.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:44 am
Jerloma wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:52 am
If you want to sound like a red-pilled, too-online dickhead, it's good.
Oh. I thought fucking our wives was his new thing.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rhode Island has a word for everything
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:55 amThe main issue right now is having any faith in Mitch Trubisky. I don't really care what your gameplan is, Mitch Trubisky will not execute it. I don't know why Tomlin continues to employ Trubisky.
I agree. Except then, what the fuck were they thinking on those last two plays? It's a drive you HAVE to score on, so you know you have four downs. It's 3rd and 2, so you have two attempts to get 2 yards and keep the drive alive. You've been running fairly well (not great, but OK) all night, but the passing game has sucked for anything beyond 3 yards past the LOC. So what do you call? Two straight difficult deep passes. What. The. Fuck? I just don't get that at all. I mean the Steelers are the most conservative team in the NFL and NOW they're trying that shit? That was awful.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:56 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:55 amThe main issue right now is having any faith in Mitch Trubisky. I don't really care what your gameplan is, Mitch Trubisky will not execute it. I don't know why Tomlin continues to employ Trubisky.
I agree. Except then, what the fuck were they thinking on those last two plays? It's a drive you HAVE to score on, so you know you have four downs. It's 3rd and 2, so you have two attempts to get 2 yards and keep the drive alive. You've been running fairly well (not great, but OK) all night, but the passing game has sucked for anything beyond 3 yards past the LOC. So what do you call? Two straight difficult deep passes. What. The. Fuck? I just don't get that at all. I mean the Steelers are the most conservative team in the NFL and NOW they're trying that shit? That was awful.
The second to last play was an easy throw to 18 for a first down that Trubisky was staring at but didn't throw because he sucks.

The Patriots obviously made it difficult to get a 2 yard completion on the 4th down play but to me it looked like the left slot WR made a bad read and should have cut back outside and been wide open. Looks like it was 11. He slips and then runs right into coverage and there's no other choice. Does seem like a bad playcall but I don't think it was a predetermined deep shot.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Looking at it again I have no idea what the plan was for the backside WRs on the 3rd and 2. It's almost like the top of the field was designed to beat man defense and the bottom half zone. Doesn't sound like something that most teams do but the open WR is still there and he's staring right at him but he never does anything on time.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He should have waited six weeks in my case so as not to cuck me.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Intresting that there are two lineman rushing there. I know guys practice two minute offense and probably see lots of coverage but maybe not the simplest read there. Doubt it looked like that at the snap but dont recall the play
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think I was going for that you'd let Tomlin fuck your wives, but yeah okay...I'll retire that one.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And why are 3 pats within a yard and a half. Some sort of pick? Guess thats a primary option but guys dropping out and you have to see if the rub works. I know hes an NFL qb just maybe not so simple again
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's toilet humor, but NFL meme pages are hilarious to me.

(Swipe through)

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:24 pm Intresting that there are two lineman rushing there. I know guys practice two minute offense and probably see lots of coverage but maybe not the simplest read there. Doubt it looked like that at the snap but dont recall the play
Remember when you said all QBs should just watch film and become masterminds like Mac Jones? Anyway, Trubisky is in his 7th year and he's panicking and throwing off his backfoot against a 2 man rush. I'm sure 99% of it was Belichick being a wizard though.

Mitch Trubisky is the slowest processing QB in the entire NFL.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:31 pm And why are 3 pats within a yard and a half. Some sort of pick? Guess thats a primary option but guys dropping out and you have to see if the rub works. I know hes an NFL qb just maybe not so simple again
Because the play worked exactly as designed and Mitch still couldn't throw it in time.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No one has seen the play except you and we're trying to make something out of a still.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

J-Lo, you’ll be happy to know a big Jets fan host on WFAN thinks they should be willing to trade their high 1st for Mike Tomlin.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If that would happen it would slot Tomlin as the second best Jets coach in my memory. First if you only want to include guys who lasted more than a day.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:56 pm If that would happen it would slot Tomlin as the second best Jets coach in my memory. First if you only want to include guys who lasted more than a day.
Too soon!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:40 pm No one has seen the play except you and we're trying to make something out of a still.
Let me track down this obscure video.

Mitch is staring right at it but the slot corner bluffing for 0.2 seconds is enough to break his brain.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Found it. Wish the NFL would provide easier access to this stuff. Most popular game yet almost nobody can follow what's going on. Impossible in real time.

Athletic lb uche on the edge shows pressure. Takes a first step toward qb at snap then switches immediately with slot corner and drops into coverage on slot wr. Slot corner sits and watches qb and wr and switches it off again with lb when wr breaks outside. lb turns outside with slot wr before switching with slot corner and running with outside wr. Not zone cause boundary corner follows his man inside and upfield. Nickel safety high but out of play. No way the slot corner ever gets there cause outside receiver gets upfield and forces slot corner outside to avoid his man before he can cover out breaking slot.

So qb has to recognize that uche isn't coming then the switch with lb on slot wr, then recognize that lb doesn't follow wr. Outside receiver gets upfield and inside corner but lb is still able to get back to outside receiver as he beats corner inside. Outside wr can't beat lb clean inside even after lb! feints pressure then turns outside with slot receiver then turns back inside and upfield to run with wr. Qb is looking that direction and slot is wide open for first once lb switches again starts trailing the outside receiver. But the read may have been off the outside breaking route once qb sees lb switch and turn outside on slot. But the outside wr can't beat the lb back inside and the throw is bad.

Not saying trubisky can play but you can freeze a vid on most NFL snaps and find someone open. Especially when you freeze it late. Trubisky has made his decision and is in process of throw. The decision making point was three steps earlier.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:01 am Found it. Wish the NFL would provide easier access to this stuff. Most popular game yet almost nobody can follow what's going on. Impossible in real time.
It is absurdly easy to find it, go to youtube and type in the two teams that you want to see highlights from. I also uhhh, linked to it?

Athletic lb uche on the edge shows pressure.
Athletic unblockable LB with 2 sacks on the year feigns pressure for a literal millisecond and is already into coverage before Mitch even looks that way.
Takes a first step toward qb at snap then switches immediately with slot corner and drops into coverage on slot wr. Slot corner sits and watches qb and wr and switches it off again with lb when wr breaks outside. lb turns outside with slot wr before switching with slot corner and running with outside wr. Not zone cause boundary corner follows his man inside and upfield. Nickel safety high but out of play. No way the slot corner ever gets there cause outside receiver gets upfield and forces slot corner outside to avoid his man before he can cover out breaking slot.

So qb has to recognize that uche isn't coming then the switch with lb on slot wr, then recognize that lb doesn't follow wr.
Well yeah, that's the NFL, and every team does this. The bad ones fall for it more often than the good ones. Trubisky should get with Mac Jones and watch more film, even though Mac Jones has also been falling for every bit of subterfuge that teams throw at him.

And this switch is happening right in front of his dumb face. Uche turns with the WR that Trubisky is looking right at. Mitch Trubisky doesn't notice in time because he is the single slowest processing QB in the entire NFL. NE probably knew this was coming but there is plenty of time here for a competent QB to not predetermine the throw.

This play here (at 8:32) is my favorite Trubisky read of all time. He never recognizes anything.

Outside receiver gets upfield and inside corner but lb is still able to get back to outside receiver as he beats corner inside. Outside wr can't beat lb clean inside even after lb! feints pressure then turns outside with slot receiver then turns back inside and upfield to run with wr. Qb is looking that direction and slot is wide open for first once lb switches again starts trailing the outside receiver. But the read may have been off the outside breaking route once qb sees lb switch and turn outside on slot. But the outside wr can't beat the lb back inside and the throw is bad.
That's exactly what the read is but again teams try to do this because dumb QBs will often throw it to the wrong guy and Mitch Trubisky is consistently one of those dumb QBs.
Not saying trubisky can play but you can freeze a vid on most NFL snaps and find someone open. Especially when you freeze it late. Trubisky has made his decision and is in process of throw.

He's not mid-throw by any stretch, he's just set his feet.
The decision making point was three steps earlier.
YES THATS THE ENTIRE PROBLEM WITH TRUBISKY HE DOESNT SEE WHATS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS FACE

Do you think Bill Belichick is the only person smart enough to do simulated pressures or do you think a journeyman bust of a QB is bad at this? Where do you think Tom Brady would throw that ball?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You're all about QBs being smart and recognizing things until it's the Patriots doing it on defense, then my goodness how could another professional QB ever see what's happening here?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Trevor Lawrence is going to start. I just don't think that's a good idea, but what the hell do I know?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This has to be at least the 4th Jets home* game this season played in a miserable rain storm.

*don’t feel like looking up which team was officially “home” for the giants game