8%
Not much at all, but I can't rule something minor out
58%
Never, I have the moral high ground
33%

Total votes: 12

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by A_B »

Not really. It's about plagiarism instead.

So all these people are getting caught plagiarizing. Harvard Pres, one of her big critics, heck I think I saw some stuff on the Supreme Court judges have plagiarized during school. Anyway I'm taking a poll.

In High school, I may have had some help from the Encyclopedia Britannica CD set. But high school is stupid and doesn't matter.

But I can say with 99% certainty that I didn't plagiarize in college and would like to think that 1% would represent me citing incorrectly or something similar. It was just pounded into me that you had to think about what was written, phrase it in a way that it fit your paper, and cite it. My mom was an English teacher as well, so it just didn't seem right. I'm not some holier than thou, mind you. I ain't no snitch either (unless you are driving a veteran's van, of course) and so long as it isn't fucking with me and my grade, you do you.

Anyhoos, answer the question. Or don't. I don't care.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by mister d »

I can say with 99.9% certainty that I didn't plagiarize during university and would like to think that 0.1% would represent me incorrectly citing or something similar. It was just reinforced to me that you had to consider what was written, phrase it in a way that it fit your report, and cite it. My mother wasn't an English teacher, but it still didn't seem right. I'm not self-righteous, mind you. I ain't no narc either (unless you are driving a tenured person's van, of course) and so long as it isn't having sex with me and my test results, you do you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Very confident on never. I guess there is always the possibility of forgetting a citation. I saw citations as proof I did research and wanted to include as many sources as I could. The last big paper I wrote was my law school journal note, and we were required a minimum 300 citations (that sounds too high, maybe it was 100?), so I was trying to wedge in as many as possible. Plus the fear of getting caught was terrifying.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ha, great thread title. I used Cliffs Notes extensively (like, instead of reading the book) but never really plagiarized. When you can avoid the literal definition of plagiarism just by knowing words, I don't see the point
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Im a lawyer so plagiarism is encouraged and expected once you graduate. Dont come in my office with your shitty written from scratch legal prose. Just go get one that some guy put a lot of time and effort into and ill slap some lipstick on it to make it work for us.

How many sources for my regurgitated thoughts do you want anyway? Plagiarism is white people shit. Syb losing sleep. Citations? Yall just bored. There really is a cultural aspect to this kind of stuff. Many people just do not view plagarism as morally wrong. Im not far off. Just give them a F and move on. Spare me the principled outrage.

Better question is how many of you have outright cheated. I was and still am shocked by the amount of cheating that goes on routinely from hs through grad school. My law school had schedule your own exams. Wtf? There is no one honorable left to write a code.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My school was notorious for the Liberal Arts wing foisting 25-50 page papers on students, in addition to often annoyingly difficult midterm and final exams. I was a pretty bad procrastinator, which meant tons and tons of all nighters.

So, did I pull a little too directly from some sources? Probably. I can't say for sure I didn't do that. But I also know that I'm a pretty good writer and can rephrase and simplify text... I didn't know it then, but it was a perfect training ground for a career in communications.

HC raises a good point, though. I don't really see plagiarism as a HUGE thing, unless you are straight up just copying another person's paper or dropping in full paragraphs from text books. I know I never straight up cheated, though. I kind of tried to do that, sort of, by taking a class where it was well known the teacher didn't change out the exam questions. (Some kind of music appreciation class everyone took to pad their grades.) Well, the professor did everyone a solid by saying he was aware of the issue at the beginning of the class (it was during the January short-term period), so we all knew we had to actually pay attention and study.

My first semester of my FR year was pass-fail and that was not good for me. I took until late in my SO year for me to figure things out. After that, I pretty much enjoyed all my classes and pulled up my GPA to a respectable number.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is it cheating if you go to a final in a non-core (art history/appreciation or something) class you attended on a rotating basis with three other people, then the professor who cares just as little assigns one question per row, you wait until they stop paying attention, switch rows and pass? If so, I've cheated.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I didn't write too many papers in college as an engineering student. Definitely never plagiarized. The last time I cheated on a test was middle school French and I wasn't very good at that, as my grade still sucked.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was given the answers to our Spanish II final in college by a dormmate who took the test before I did. I didn't have them with me while taking the test, so like 75% cheating?

I still think that professor had a crush on me cause I needed a 100 to get an 85 according to my calculations, but I ended up with a 90.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Absolutely wrote a whole bunch of math formulas on the desk before several tests

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Also had to a paper in International Law about the political system in Costa Rica. Library had exactly one book, so I basically rewrote the intro/conclusion to each chapter. It was well-received!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:35 pm Absolutely wrote a whole bunch of math formulas on the desk before several tests
I really don't see that as cheating, per the overall vibe of what Citgo said. I'm not a math person, so that colors things, but I never understood why it was important in Geometry and then in stuff like Physics to commit so much of those equations and formulas to memory.

Seems very antiquated today.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Depends on your major, right? If a maps major can't remember a building block formula, who cares. If a finance major has to look up a different formula or concept every time just to answer one question, its probably a bad sign. Like sometimes memorization does prove knowledge and/or acumen, other times its stupid and frivolous and so obscure to any potential day-to-day work that you say fuck the CPA exam altogether.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I can assure you it felt like hella-cheating back then and it's kind of pointless to think otherwise. I'm a huge rebel is what I'm saying

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You'd probably be making ... smaller maps? ... if not for that test. A huge leg up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:29 am Im a lawyer so plagiarism is encouraged and expected once you graduate. Dont come in my office with your shitty written from scratch legal prose. Just go get one that some guy put a lot of time and effort into and ill slap some lipstick on it to make it work for us.

How many sources for my regurgitated thoughts do you want anyway? Plagiarism is white people shit. Syb losing sleep. Citations? Yall just bored. There really is a cultural aspect to this kind of stuff. Many people just do not view plagarism as morally wrong. Im not far off. Just give them a F and move on. Spare me the principled outrage.

Better question is how many of you have outright cheated. I was and still am shocked by the amount of cheating that goes on routinely from hs through grad school. My law school had schedule your own exams. Wtf? There is no one honorable left to write a code.
Eh, a lawyer working off a template is much different than plagiarism.

As for actual cheating, I just remembered a class I took where the final was a random sampling of previous test questions. I'm thinking it was intro to Macro Econ or a World Civilizations required class, or something similar, with 300-400 students and a bunch of TAs. One of the TA's was selling the final, and a friend's roommate made a deal with me. He'd share the final with me if I taught him the material on the test. I think it was like paragraph long answers expected. I felt slightly guilty, but we had already seen all of the questions, it just narrowed down what we had to study. The guy was super paranoid and made me promise not to tell anyone I saw the test. I had a bunch of friends in the class and felt guilty not telling them what to study, but later discovered the TA sold the test to dozens of kids and all my friends saw it from different sources.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Would you call it cheating if a guy blew off a whole bunch of his 8 AM Statistics classes, then studied his roommate’s notes to get a B in the class?

Because, I absolutely did that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh no way, that's fair play. You legitimately study and pass, who gives a shit if you sat through the class?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And you blew a bunch of classes, so you put the work in!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:45 pm And you blew a bunch of classes, so you put the work in!
It's not work when you love what you do!
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's fair play.

And sexy!!
AB_skin__test
Jackie Treehorn

Post by AB_skin__test »

Scandalous!
THis forum does fucking rule!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This got weird.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 pmThis got weird.
Sure hope whoever that was woke up this morning and realized duplicating the thread again would have been more personally amusing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Just back from 5 days in my beloved Montreal, and I have to say that as much as the Toronto brewers try... they are not in the same league with the better Quebec brewers.

This may be why God created barley.

Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's good beer, no doubt!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I do love Unibroue. Even a bigger fan of Brasserie du Ciel.
-Pruitt