Swamp Travel Guide: Boston

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide: Boston

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:39 am Driving in that area was an absolute nightmare due to constant road closures. Even walking was a hassle.
I've taken a bunch of Uber/Lyft rides while I've been here...and I can't even begin to imagine what driving in this town is like. Just seems completely baffling.
It's actually a really simple city once you know your way around. The beauty is it's such a small and walkable city, you learn your way around really quickly. What is confusing is the odd angles of all the streets around the Commons. The streets follow the paths that were originally beaten down cow paths to the Commons, where farmers were graze their cows. That takes some getting used to, but other than that, super easy to learn.

I never had a car when I lived there, as you really don't need one. I rented several times when I went on trips, and it was instantly intense. I lived on Commonwealth between BU and BC (Brighton/Allston). Commonwealth is a 4-lane road there with an access road on each side and the Green Line T is above ground. Add in all of the students running through traffic to catch the trains, and it was an absolute shit show. There was a bad accident on my intersection once a week. We realized that there was no delay from the light on Commonwealth turning red before the light on the side street turned green. That was usually the cause, a car on Commonwealth running the light as a car crossed or tried to turn onto Commonwealth. Also saw a bunch of cars and a motorcycle clip the cement barrier protecting the people waiting at the T stops, which were in between Commonwealth and the access road. I was on the phone with someone looking out the window when the motorcycle clipped the barrier. The guy flipped over his handlebars and landed on his 20 feet away, then slid for another 10 feet. Luckily he had a helmet, but he didn't move for a long time. Then a crowd circled him, so I never saw if he got up. I called an ambulance, always wondered if he was ok.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:10 pm Now try it with a Thule on top*. And a tray on the back. IT's a terrible city to drive and I'd sell my car if I lived there.

I assume I have told this but I went into a parking garage down by the harbor but the thule was too tall. So I had to take the thule off and put in the minivan with all the seats down. I actually sent the kids to the hotel on the metro because the oldest was familiar. Luckily no one in the garage was from Boston so I think they felt sorry for me. A true bostonian would have murdered me (and not convicted). Also reminds me of a nashville story that I may go post.
Biggest issue with owning a car was the lack of parking. Hopefully they improved the situation in the past 23 years, but they used to issue parking permits for specific neighborhoods. Street parking was mostly permit spots with some meters (iirc). They gave out far more permits in some neighborhoods than there were parking spots. If you came home late, you'd be circling for hours looking for a spot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:27 pm

Biggest issue with owning a car was the lack of parking. Hopefully they improved the situation in the past 23 years, but they used to issue parking permits for specific neighborhoods. Street parking was mostly permit spots with some meters (iirc). They gave out far more permits in some neighborhoods than there were parking spots. If you came home late, you'd be circling for hours looking for a spot.
In my experience from 2018-2022, they did not fix this issue. When we were loading the van to move the oldest back they were itching to write me a ticket while we were parked along street, which was just for residents of course during most hours. And my kid was two blocks form Comm Ave so too many people looking for parking as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Lucky enough the apt we rented for the most part had a driveway so we had off-street parking, also lived in where there was only off-street and it wasn't bad for the most part, aside from the Tuesdays they supposedly swept the street and you had to drive around trying to find a spot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I never really found it that big a deal to drive in Boston, but also didn't go out of my to drive when walking to/from our hotel where tended to stash the car. (Or usually a cheaper garage nearby).

The only cities I've been to where I thought driving as a default kind of sucks are LA and Houston. And even in LA, if there weren't so many homeless folks, their Metro system seems just fine. And I was only in Houston for a wedding once and it was more that the place didn't seem to make much sense. Like... They just kind of threw things together as they went without a lot of planning.

Giff - what say you?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's hard for me to have good perspective from a "tourist" point of view, but it seems pretty well laid out to me. Most of the main streets either go east/west or north/south. Do you remember where you were?

Detroit is one that was very confusing to me. Also, Waco is jacked up directionally.
Last edited by Giff on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:02 pm It's hard for me to have good perspective from a "tourist" point of view, but it seems pretty well laid out to me. Do you remember where you were?
The 16 lane highways are neat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Boston is fine once you learn the correct alley that doubles as the entrance ramp to the one open tunnel
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not sure who make the recommendation, but we went to the EvenTide by Fenway for dinner tonight, and it was really damn good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd like a full list of everything you ordered.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Damn. I just looked at that menu. I need to get into Boston more often
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:20 pm I'd like a full list of everything you ordered.
Bloody Mary oyster shooters...salad...fries...Lobster rolls! Soooo good.

Place has gotta be nuts on Game days (its about a block from Fenway).