NFL Conference Championships week

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

NFL Conference Championships week

Post by bfj »

Kansas City @ Baltimore (-3.5) - forecast is mid 30’s and rain at game time.

Detroit @ San Francisco (-7) - sunny and 72 in CA on Sunday.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: NFL Conference Championships week

Post by Ryan »

80s-baseball-ass playoffs. Go Niners.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Scott Garrelts isn’t walking through that door, Ryan.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Nice, lets inundate this thread with dudes naming dudes. Nobody cares about these teams anyway.

Steve Balboni
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:04 am Nice, lets inundate this thread with dudes naming dudes. Nobody cares about these teams anyway.

Steve Balboni
Steve Balboni recently moved out of my town. He lived a block or two down the hill from the high school, beautiful house.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If it's going to be nice then the Lions have a real shot at this
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am If it's going to be nice then the Lions have a real shot at this
But the rain really seemed to affect Purdy in the last game, or maybe he's not that good, rain or no rain.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:04 am Nice, lets inundate this thread with dudes naming dudes. Nobody cares about these teams anyway.
Rolando Roomes.
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:21 amSteve Balboni recently moved out of my town. He lived a block or two down the hill from the high school, beautiful house.
Never saw him and was never sure if I'd exceptionally recognize him or not recognize him at all. Atleast you've still got Kevin Whelan.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

An unpleasantness of Rat birds being feasted upon by some Motown Lions is in my opinion the only way to go.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:53 amRolando Roomes.
When I was in college, a friend and I would play a game where we tried to name as many shitty Reds players from the 80s as possible. Rolando Roomes was always one of our favorite answers (as were Alan Knicely and Junior Kennedy).
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:53 am
Rolando Roomes.
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:21 amSteve Balboni recently moved out of my town. He lived a block or two down the hill from the high school, beautiful house.
Never saw him and was never sure if I'd exceptionally recognize him or not recognize him at all. Atleast you've still got Kevin Whelan.
Right, forgot there was an obscure musician I never heard of living in town. OTOH, my not knowing who he is doesn't make him obscure.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:39 am An unpleasantness of Rat birds being feasted upon by some Motown Lions is in my opinion the only way to go.
Does this go back to the old Ravens v Titans days? That was some crazy football.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It'll be a tough road without Deebo. I don't think people realize how important he is to that offense.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 amRight, forgot there was an obscure musician I never heard of living in town. OTOH, my not knowing who he is doesn't make him obscure.
Put on The Wrens' Meadowlands. Elite tier album.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:38 am
Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:39 am An unpleasantness of Rat birds being feasted upon by some Motown Lions is in my opinion the only way to go.
Does this go back to the old Ravens v Titans days? That was some crazy football.
Yep, losing to the Rat Birds on January 7th 2001 has always sat happy with me. I actually like the current Ravens roster and the way they play, but Ray Lewis and some of the others can go fuck themselves. It is no Elway level anger, but it is close...

This write up:

Even though they had only 134 yards of total offense and six first downs, with quarterback Trent Dilfer completing just five of 16 passes, the Ravens broke a 10–10 tie in the fourth quarter with Anthony Mitchell's 90-yard blocked field goal touchdown return and Ray Lewis' 50-yard interception touchdown return.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm
Yep, losing to the Rat Birds on January 7th 2001 has always sat happy with me. I actually like the current Ravens roster and the way they play, but Ray Lewis and some of the others can go fuck themselves. It is no Elway level anger, but it is close...

This write up:

Even though they had only 134 yards of total offense and six first downs, with quarterback Trent Dilfer completing just five of 16 passes, the Ravens broke a 10–10 tie in the fourth quarter with Anthony Mitchell's 90-yard blocked field goal touchdown return and Ray Lewis' 50-yard interception touchdown return.
Did you know Mitchell’s son played for the team this year until he blew out his knee?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:07 pm
Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:59 pm

This write up:

Did you know Mitchell’s son played for the team this year until he blew out his knee?
Very cool, I had no idea!
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure he didn't feel that way.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Very unfortunate. He was a breakout and would have been in heavy rotation. In a very small sample size he had almost 400 yards on 47 rushing attempts. 8.4 YPC.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:06 am Kansas City @ Baltimore (-3.5) - forecast is mid 30’s and rain at game time.

Detroit @ San Francisco (-7) - sunny and 72 in CA on Sunday.
It might be nice on Sunday in Santa Clara, but it probably won’t be a fast track. Several days of rain before it turns nice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m sure Baltimore isn’t looking past the Chiefs, but it must be nice for them to know that they outscored Detroit and San Francisco by a combined score of 71 to 25.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:28 pm Very unfortunate. He was a breakout and would have been in heavy rotation. In a very small sample size he had almost 400 yards on 47 rushing attempts. 8.4 YPC.
I had no idea. I had him in my fantasy team and was just getting excited about him becoming the lead back when he got injured.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 amRight, forgot there was an obscure musician I never heard of living in town. OTOH, my not knowing who he is doesn't make him obscure.
Put on The Wrens' Meadowlands. Elite tier album.
Listened to half of it, really enjoying it so far! Seems like the kind of album you need to listen to 3 or 4 times to fully appreciate it. Not sure if I will, but I definitely like what I've heard so far.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vivid Seats is saying almost all secondary tickets being sold for Detroit-SF are from Michigan zip codes. Factor in the general Michigan diaspora and they’re saying Levi’s Stadium will be 20 percent Lions fans.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I won’t bother posting them here, but Taylor in and around some of Baltimore more lovely sites memes are quite funny to those of us who live here. I made this today.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Looks legit.

I mean not at all. But I bet it was fun!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 pm Looks legit.

I mean not at all. But I bet it was fun!
I agree Michael B Jordan wouldn’t be hanging with Taylor.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The city with the most NFL players for the 2023 season? That would be Detroit.

Full list of all cities with 10 or more:

Detroit, MI - 19
Bradenton, FL - 17
Houston, TX - 16
Las Vegas, NV - 15
Atlanta, GA - 14
Miami, FL - 14
Cincinnati, OH - 11
Plantation, FL - 11
Tampa, FL - 11
Cleveland, OH - 10
Indianapolis, IN - 10
Jacksonville, FL - 10
New Orleans, LA - 10
St. Louis, MO - 10
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(That’s not metro areas as you can probably guess. That would add a lot to Detroit as well but would probably mean Houston would be at the top of the list I’d think. Or maybe LA.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:13 pm The city with the most NFL players for the 2023 season? That would be Detroit.

Full list of all cities with 10 or more:

Detroit, MI - 19
Bradenton, FL - 17
Houston, TX - 16
Las Vegas, NV - 15
Atlanta, GA - 14
Miami, FL - 14
Cincinnati, OH - 11
Plantation, FL - 11
Tampa, FL - 11
Cleveland, OH - 10
Indianapolis, IN - 10
Jacksonville, FL - 10
New Orleans, LA - 10
St. Louis, MO - 10
Curious if Bradenton counts IMG grads.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:16 pm Curious if Bradenton counts IMG grads.
That’s my guess and thus why it’s so inflated.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was pretty good all week but my stomach is in knots today.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:45 pm I was pretty good all week but my stomach is in knots today.
Year in, year out, the Super Bowl often is a letdown compared to its hype, but conference championships are often very exciting. Looking forward to a fun day.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:45 pm I was pretty good all week but my stomach is in knots today.
A couple disappointments and you eventual get used to it and make the successes that much sweeter. Take my word for it.

And SC, maybe back in the 80s when the NFC champ would steamroll poor Elway and the Broncos, but at least since 2000, the Super Bowls have been fantastic. I just went through in my head, and starting with Rams-Titans 15 of them have been at very least close and entertaining.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 pm
A couple disappointments and you eventual get used to it and make the successes that much sweeter. Take my word for it.

And SC, maybe back in the 80s when the NFC champ would steamroll poor Elway and the Broncos, but at least since 2000, the Super Bowls have been fantastic. I just went through in my head, and starting with Rams-Titans 15 of them have been at very least close and entertaining.
I think I have the disappointment part down pat by now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:02 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 pm

I think I have the disappointment part down pat by now.
You sure? Part of what you’re feeling has to be the knowledge that they can break you new and awful ways today.

Anyway totally rooting for the Lions. And the Chefs, want a SFJ today.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:14 pm You sure? Part of what you’re feeling has to be the knowledge that they can break you new and awful ways today.

Anyway totally rooting for the Lions. And the Chefs, want a SFJ today.
I get it and I shouldn’t tempt fate by saying this aloud but I don’t know if any fanbase has been tortured as uniquely as Lions fans. We had a player die on the field and another one die in his front yard mowing his lawn after being run over by a truck. That’s not even getting into all of the crazy losses like our best kicker ever (at the time) missing a chip shot in 1983 playoffs vs SF or the Calvin Johnson Rule or I could literally go on ad nauseum.

So even if we lose today it would really have to move the needle to be devastating. In a sense (and I said this last week too) they’re playing with house money so hopefully that’s an advantage over SF. The weight of expectations are real. Down the road they may have that but for now all fans want is a 100 percent balls out effort and they’ve never failed to deliver on that in the Campbell era.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Lamar has the same stop-and-start movement (citing that 4th and 1 that went for a bunch) that reminds me most of Barry Sanders.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Was anyone else a little surprised that Jerry Rice didn’t have 6 career postseason TDs in this round? I sure was. I went back and looked on Pro Football Reference. He only had 4 in Championship Games.