Swamp Travel Guide: Orlando

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Swamp Travel Guide: Orlando

Post by The Sybian »

Taking the boy to Orlando next weekend to go to the Pro Bowl as a graduation trip. After making fun of him for watching the Pro Bowl for years, my wife suggested I take him and he was excited, so I'm dropping several grand to watch a flag football game. My wife was suggesting some VIP trip that included on-field access during the game and skills competition, access to the players entrance, on field for trophy ceremony and a bunch of other stuff. So glad he didn't want that package. Skills comp was the only interesting thing, and that's on Thursday, so it'd mean an extra 3 days in the trip, with some lame shit on Saturday.

Anyways, looking for suggestions for things to do Saturday afternoon/night and restaurants. We are staying in the Central Business District, which seems walkable to a lot of stuff.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Travel Guide: Orlando

Post by A_B »

I think there are a couple of amusement parks in the area.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:37 pm Taking the boy to Orlando next weekend to go to the Pro Bowl as a graduation trip. After making fun of him for watching the Pro Bowl for years, my wife suggested I take him and he was excited, so I'm dropping several grand to watch a flag football game. My wife was suggesting some VIP trip that included on-field access during the game and skills competition, access to the players entrance, on field for trophy ceremony and a bunch of other stuff. So glad he didn't want that package. Skills comp was the only interesting thing, and that's on Thursday, so it'd mean an extra 3 days in the trip, with some lame shit on Saturday.

Anyways, looking for suggestions for things to do Saturday afternoon/night and restaurants. We are staying in the Central Business District, which seems walkable to a lot of stuff.
As mentioned in another thread, the Olympic qualifier for the marathon is going on this Saturday at 10, and while the course is smaller than many marathon courses (3 laps of an 8 mile loop plus one lap of a 2.6 mile loop), it is absolutely in/around the CBD (no idea if anyone refers to it as such). There will be road closures for sure from early Saturday morning (maybe late Friday night) through mid afternoon Saturday. There are some super sketchy neighborhoods between CBD and Camping World (I assume that's where they're holding the Pro Bowl). I suggest walking east (from your hotel to the stadium) on either Central or Church. Central and Church are the streets on the north and south side of Exploria stadium, where Orlando City and Orlando Pride play. The only other recommendations that I have for you would be 4 Rivers BBQ (statewide chain that started in Orlando), and The Ravenous Pig (not BBQ) in Winter Park.

link to Olympic trials course map
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:37 pmTaking the boy to Orlando next weekend to go to the Pro Bowl as a graduation trip. After making fun of him for watching the Pro Bowl for years, my wife suggested I take him and he was excited, so I'm dropping several grand to watch a flag football game.
This made me laugh because one of my biggest perpetual annoyances is my wife suggesting something in front of the kids before we discuss ourselves.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:37 pm Taking the boy to Orlando next weekend to go to the Pro Bowl as a graduation trip. After making fun of him for watching the Pro Bowl for years, my wife suggested I take him and he was excited, so I'm dropping several grand to watch a flag football game. My wife was suggesting some VIP trip that included on-field access during the game and skills competition, access to the players entrance, on field for trophy ceremony and a bunch of other stuff. So glad he didn't want that package. Skills comp was the only interesting thing, and that's on Thursday, so it'd mean an extra 3 days in the trip, with some lame shit on Saturday.

As mentioned in another thread, the Olympic qualifier for the marathon is going on this Saturday at 10, and while the course is smaller than many marathon courses (3 laps of an 8 mile loop plus one lap of a 2.6 mile loop), it is absolutely in/around the CBD (no idea if anyone refers to it as such). There will be road closures for sure from early Saturday morning (maybe late Friday night) through mid afternoon Saturday. There are some super sketchy neighborhoods between CBD and Camping World (I assume that's where they're holding the Pro Bowl). I suggest walking east (from your hotel to the stadium) on either Central or Church. Central and Church are the streets on the north and south side of Exploria stadium, where Orlando City and Orlando Pride play. The only other recommendations that I have for you would be 4 Rivers BBQ (statewide chain that started in Orlando), and The Ravenous Pig (not BBQ) in Winter Park.

Thanks, your post about the marathon is what made me think to ask. Looks like our hotel is dangerously close to the NW corner of the first lap, but we are just on the other side of I-4. Looks like we shouldn't have an issue getting from the airport to the hotel, but who knows what that will do to traffic.

We are staying the Crowne Plaza, which is NE of Camping World, I was planning on walking towards Exploria, then heading West. Google Maps makes that are look like a nice shopping district kind of area. Seems like a bunch of breweries, but I don't know how much my son will enjoy watching me sample flights. I'd try to get him a good fake ID, but he'd freak out.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:57 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:37 pmTaking the boy to Orlando next weekend to go to the Pro Bowl as a graduation trip. After making fun of him for watching the Pro Bowl for years, my wife suggested I take him and he was excited, so I'm dropping several grand to watch a flag football game.
This made me laugh because one of my biggest perpetual annoyances is my wife suggesting something in front of the kids before we discuss ourselves.
She did send it to me first. I tried to hedge by saying it was the price (the VIP thing was insanely expensive), but she justified it by saying it's a graduation present, and we haven't been able to book a decent vacation since COVID for various reasons, mostly my daughter's soccer. I was equally concerned with how I was going to spend 5 days with him 24-7.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:12 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 pm

Thanks, your post about the marathon is what made me think to ask. Looks like our hotel is dangerously close to the NW corner of the first lap, but we are just on the other side of I-4. Looks like we shouldn't have an issue getting from the airport to the hotel, but who knows what that will do to traffic.

We are staying the Crowne Plaza, which is NE of Camping World, I was planning on walking towards Exploria, then heading West. Google Maps makes that are look like a nice shopping district kind of area. Seems like a bunch of breweries, but I don't know how much my son will enjoy watching me sample flights. I'd try to get him a good fake ID, but he'd freak out.
It looks like the short loop of the course (which is at the start of the race, and only run once, right around 10 a.m.) goes somewhat near you, but you should be ok other than traffic and road closures. It's not like your hotel is within any of the loops. I have no idea what traffic will be like or what the road closures will be. We're going to try and be down at Easy Luck with our run crew, then zipping back to Tampa as fast as possible after the race. Not that your kid would want to meet your internet friend.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The two things that make it painful when going through an airport security line and boarding an airplane are groups containing lots of young kids and groups of really old people. Luckily for you, you won't encounter any of that at the Orlando airport.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm The two things that make it painful when going through an airport security line and boarding an airplane are groups containing lots of young kids and groups of really old people. Luckily for you, you won't encounter any of that at the Orlando airport.
Oh fuck, I didn't think about that at all! That's funny. At least it's a short flight.

I see Jim Florentine is performing at a comedy club a few blocks from my hotel, but I think it's 18 and over. My son misses by a couple of months.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would they even card with an adult? Just say he doesn't drive.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:46 pm Would they even card with an adult? Just say he doesn't drive.
Called ahead to the Comedy Cellar in NY a couple weeks ago, thought about taking the kids to an 18+ show. They said they are strict on requiring ID.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:20 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:46 pm Would they even card with an adult? Just say he doesn't drive.
Called ahead to the Comedy Cellar in NY a couple weeks ago, thought about taking the kids to an 18+ show. They said they are strict on requiring ID.
Orlando ain't NYC, amigo.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If your son won’t get a fake ID why don’t you get one for yourself - Rep. Matt Gaetz. No one will blink at you two.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:42 pm
Dm the artist on twitter or aomething
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:35 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:42 pm
Dm the artist on twitter or aomething
Not sure Jim Florentine is appropriate anyways. He was usually pretty blue back in his heyday and on O&A. My son is still traumatized that I laughed at a Jeselnik bit. He told me about this horrible clip he saw of a comedian joking about dropping babies. I told him it was Jeselnik and he's the best. I pulled the clip, laughed my ass off, and he looked at me in horror and told my wife and my parents that I'm a horrible person who thinks its funny to drop babies. Speaking of Florentine, I should introduce him to Crank Yankers.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dropping a baby isn’t funny. Dropping babies plural is a hoot.

(Don’t @me. I’ve dropped 50 percent of my offspring off a doctors exam table).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:23 pm Dropping a baby isn’t funny. Dropping babies plural is a hoot.

(Don’t @me. I’ve dropped 50 percent of my offspring off a doctors exam table).

Jeselnik is the best joke writer out there. Nobody better at turning the premise on it's head with a surprise twist at the punchline.

-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/02 ... ic-trials/
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:11 pm

Fucking great. Thanks for posting. Looks like I'll stay West of I-4 Saturday. There is a ton of breweries within a mile or two of the hotel, might just make the boy watch me take down flights in 4 or 5 of them. Why would they schedule this the same weekend as the Pro Bowl? Then again, maybe the Pro Bowl isn't all that big a draw and the hotels prices were jacked up and almost fully booked two months ago for the marathon. At least the Magic are out of town.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:24 pm

Fucking great. Thanks for posting. Looks like I'll stay West of I-4 Saturday. There is a ton of breweries within a mile or two of the hotel, might just make the boy watch me take down flights in 4 or 5 of them. Why would they schedule this the same weekend as the Pro Bowl? Then again, maybe the Pro Bowl isn't all that big a draw and the hotels prices were jacked up and almost fully booked two months ago for the marathon. At least the Magic are out of town.
No clue why they scheduled this on the same weekend. Didn't make sense to me when I figured out that they were. To be fair, this is an invitational race (only fast fuckers actively trying to make the Olympic team), so everyone will be done in less than 3 hours (by 1 p.m.). There won't be any fun runners looking to just finish their 26.2 miles.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There were only 2 bids to host the event. And then Chattanooga got Dq. Late in the selection process, USATF, with the support of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC), disqualified Chattanooga’s bid, due to a conflict of interest. A member of USATF’s board of directors, Jim Estes, was a consultant on Chattanooga’s bid.

Then the race was announced for a noon start and the athletes were like ...I know it is Feb but Orlando is still hot. So they asked for a 6AM or 7AM but got it negotiated to 10AM.

oh and the Pro Bowl was awarded to Orlando in 2023 and the Marathon in 2022. So the NFL accepted this conflict.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm

There were only 2 bids to host the event. And then Chattanooga got Dq. Late in the selection process, USATF, with the support of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC), disqualified Chattanooga’s bid, due to a conflict of interest. A member of USATF’s board of directors, Jim Estes, was a consultant on Chattanooga’s bid.

Then the race was announced for a noon start and the athletes were like ...I know it is Feb but Orlando is still hot. So they asked for a 6AM or 7AM but got it negotiated to 10AM.

oh and the Pro Bowl was awarded to Orlando in 2023 and the Marathon in 2022. So the NFL accepted this conflict.
It should be really nice racing weather, forecast is 59 and sunny at 10 a.m., rising to 70 at 1 p.m. I was kind of hoping for a hotter day as it would likely inure to the benefit of the woman from my running crew, who does all of her training in Florida.

Am I wrong in thinking the Pro Bowl is always in Orlando?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:41 pm
Am I wrong in thinking the Pro Bowl is always in Orlando?
I thought it was after leaving Hawaii. Looked it up, the game was in Hawaii from 1980 - 2009, then bounced around. It was only in Orlando from 2017-2020. Interesting that the first NFL All-Star game was played at Wrigley Field in 1938. From 1938-1942, the game was an All-Star team against the NFL Champions. It went on hiatus until 1950, when it became American Conference vs National Conference.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

(worst all star game of the big 4)

/obligatory
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:15 pm (worst all star game of the big 4)

/obligatory
Have fun syb!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:15 pm (worst all star game of the big 4)

/obligatory
Always was, but now that it's a friggin' flag football game? Do the linemen even play? I've had no interest in even watching this on TV since around 1990.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's really the only sport that you just can't play it half-ass and have it not be farce. We've talked about this so I don't want to dead horse the thing, but in NHL and NBA you are still able to play a no defense version and it's still fun. MLB is what it is (you can pretty much play it straight up.)

What I DO like is the move to no contact and embracing the skills competition. Accept reality.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:41 pm It's really the only sport that you just can't play it half-ass and have it not be farce. We've talked about this so I don't want to dead horse the thing, but in NHL and NBA you are still able to play a no defense version and it's still fun. MLB is what it is (you can pretty much play it straight up.)

What I DO like is the move to no contact and embracing the skills competition. Accept reality.
Skills comp could be fun, but it's tonight! I think they were giving away those tickets for free, and I think the fans are on the field for that, but not really sure. What I'm most surprised about is the lack of any fan events outside of the game itself. I was in Boston when they played the MLB All-Star game at Fenway. They had a weekend long fanfest that was awesome. I think it was all free, too.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

NFL track meet

powerlifting competition.

Arm wrestling tournament
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Fwiw marathon trials have to be some putrid in person viewing. Everyone is the same speed and theres only a couple hundred and I recall Orlando being flat so no posting up on heartbreak hill to look for bodily fluid mishaps. Maybe worth it at the finish to see someone come in 4th
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My wife just suggested Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs) for Saturday evening. When we took the kids to Disney around 10 years ago, I went to dinner with my wife and walked around, but don't remember too much. Anyone been lately? Looks like it's 20 miles from the hotel, guess we'll see how much an Uber will cost to see if it's worthwhile.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do you or your son have any interest in the space program? The Kennedy Space Center is maybe an hour away.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm My wife just suggested Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs) for Saturday evening. When we took the kids to Disney around 10 years ago, I went to dinner with my wife and walked around, but don't remember too much. Anyone been lately? Looks like it's 20 miles from the hotel, guess we'll see how much an Uber will cost to see if it's worthwhile.
City Walk at Universal is essentially the same type of thing and considerably closer to downtown Orlando. Was just there last weekend. Haven't been to Downtown Disney in years.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Have fun. easy in orlando. father son time always worthwhile.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:11 pm Do you or your son have any interest in the space program? The Kennedy Space Center is maybe an hour away.
I do, not sure he does and I wasn't planning on renting a car, as the game is walkable to the hotel. Went there as a kid with my parents and absolutely loved it. Got a behind the scenes tour when I worked for Homeland Security. One of our attorneys worked on a case where Customs found someone smuggling in a moon rock that was originally gifted to another country, and they teamed with NASA on the case, so afterwards a bunch of us got a tour. Got to go inside the launchpad area while a shuttle was on the pad, ready to takeoff a few days later. The sheer size of those things standing on end is unreal.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:05 pm My wife just suggested Downtown Disney (now called Disney Springs) for Saturday evening. When we took the kids to Disney around 10 years ago, I went to dinner with my wife and walked around, but don't remember too much. Anyone been lately? Looks like it's 20 miles from the hotel, guess we'll see how much an Uber will cost to see if it's worthwhile.
Was there in February. How do the two of you do with crowds?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Legit good food. Go to homecomin’
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:53 pm
Was there in February. How do the two of you do with crowds?
We both have patience, but don’t love it. Thinking go karts or Universal Citywalk. Thinking he’ll prefer go karts. Wife told me to bring some beer back to the hotel and make him drink one.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pro tip: always check your kids bags when they pack. I planned on it, but he waited until 11:30pm to pack despite hours of continually asking him to pack. I told him no liquids over 2 ounces. Get stopped for a bag check at TSA, and they pull out a quart jug of prescription ointment. Guy says he needs to throw it away. It was over $400 dollars. Then he pulls out 4 more problem items. Had to go back and check his carryon. He started to argue it’s a gel, not a liquid. Technically not wrong… and TSA missed the full sized tube of toothpaste, hair gel and a couple other items. But they did touch both our dicks both times through, so that was a fun father son bonding moment.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That's really expensive jerk lube. Cocoa butter