Swamp Movie Club: The Coen Brothers, O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU, 4/1, 9:30 pm ET

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Swamp Movie Club: The Coen Brothers, FARGO, 3/18, 9:30 pm ET

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The dinner scene with her high school classmate is so well done. So creepy...

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:04 pm The dinner scene with her high school classmate is so well done. So creepy...

That’s one of those scenes that made that movie so special, and ultimately a litmus test for the episodes / seasons of the show, as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:28 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:04 pm The dinner scene with her high school classmate is so well done. So creepy...

That’s one of those scenes that made that movie so special, and ultimately a litmus test for the episodes / seasons of the show, as well.
It's interesting, because it IS a good scene and it's one of the scenes you talk about after the movie's over. And yet, it has nothing to do with the main plot of the movie. It's the kind of scene a "good" editor would try to cut. But it's just interesting and jarring, sad, funny, etc.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:21 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:28 pm

It's interesting, because it IS a good scene and it's one of the scenes you talk about after the movie's over. And yet, it has nothing to do with the main plot of the movie. It's the kind of scene a "good" editor would try to cut. But it's just interesting and jarring, sad, funny, etc.
I used to think that too, but that’s actually not right.

This scene sets the stage for Marge to think twice about how honest Jerry Lundegard is being about the Buick. Almost immediately after this scene and the conversation with her friend about how messed up Mike Yanagina is, Marge goes back to confront Jerry, which leads to his downfall.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. (Confession, I didn't rewatch last night. I'm actually three films behind now!)
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Hudsucker suffered from weak lead casting, imho. Story resolution got a bit convoluted at the end as well. Still some enjoyable moments though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:36 am Hudsucker suffered from weak lead casting, imho. Story resolution got a bit convoluted at the end as well. Still some enjoyable moments though.
I’d agree with all of that. I like those actors, too. But something just missed the mark.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Swamp Movie Club: The Coen Brothers, THE BIG LEBOWSKI, 3/25, 9:30 pm ET

Post by L-Jam3 »

Look, that’s just your opinion man.

Another total classic tonight.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, we didn’t really discuss Fargo. Absolute classic. As is Lebowski.

Calmer than you are, Dude.

I’m just gonna go find a cash machine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Next Swamp meetup at the In-N-Out Burger on Pico!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Similar to Rass’s story in the Point Break thread, I introduced my daughter to the original Fargo movie last night. She was excited to see it, and really enjoyed it. Which made us both happy. Nice bonding experience.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm Similar to Rass’s story in the Point Break thread, I introduced my daughter to the original Fargo movie last night. She was excited to see it, and really enjoyed it. Which made us both happy. Nice bonding experience.
That’s awesome. Fargo is one I’m looking forward to sharing with the kiddo when she’s older.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:25 pm So, we didn’t really discuss Fargo. Absolute classic. As is Lebowski.
I remember the reactions to Lebowski being decidedly mixed when it was first released. I remember seeing it in the theater opening weekend, and walking out thinking it was pretty good, but not a classic like Fargo. I think its one of those movies that grows on you after a few viewings.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:17 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:25 pm So, we didn’t really discuss Fargo. Absolute classic. As is Lebowski.
I remember the reactions to Lebowski being decidedly mixed when it was first released. I remember seeing it in the theater opening weekend, and walking out thinking it was pretty good, but not a classic like Fargo. I think its one of those movies that grows on you after a few viewings.
Definitely. It's weird like Raising Arizona, but not as in-your-face funny. It definitely gets funnier with each viewing.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Swamp Movie Club: The Coen Brothers, O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU, 4/1, 9:30 pm ET

Post by L-Jam3 »

So for the last one before we take off next week for UConn's eventual title, O Brother Where Art Thou. I'm a few behind, but I'm looking forward to it; I haven't seen it since I saw it on VHS. We should have a few weeks to catch up. It appears it's on Hulu.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.