My Fantasy Football League Needs One...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: My Fantasy Football League Needs One...

Post by Jerloma »

Weird but yeah I can work with that. Wouldn't mind getting the practice for mine later in the week too.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Lots of pressure on you, J-Lo. You gotta keep Syb's record of seven straight under-.500 seasons alive.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Well with 17 roster spots and only 5 starting skill players, this league appears heavily reliant on just picking the right lineup over the actual draft so even more of a crapshoot than other head to head leagues. I'm chalking it up to bad luck.

Edit: That's not a true thing I see now.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What doe this mean?

1 - 50 Recpts = 0.5 points for every 1 Recpt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:52 am What doe this mean?

If someone get 51 catches they win automatically I assume.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:52 am What doe this mean?

Half-point PPR. When doing the scoring settings, you have to put a top-end number in. A little under 240% of the current single-game record seemed like an okay ceiling.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ah! Gotcha.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry tennbengal. In a week where you would have beaten every other team by at least 36.5 points, you had to face someone who would've beat everyone by at least 50. I've never seen anything like that in my 22 years of fantasy football.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:04 pm Sorry tennbengal. In a week where you would have beaten every other team by at least 36.5 points, you had to face someone who would've beat everyone by at least 50. I've never seen anything like that in my 22 years of fantasy football.
Guy in one of my leagues a few years ago lost out on playoffs to a nearly identical scenario in the last regular season week.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

it's absolutely brutal. 1-2 with two just horrible bad beats.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Get those out of the way early! Your team is stacked.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:07 pm it's absolutely brutal. 1-2 with two just horrible bad beats.
In my other league, I had the highest total points after week 2 and was somehow 0-2. My team sucked this week, so I'm 0-3. It's an ESPN league, and they project what place every team will finish and update each week. I'm still projected as finishing first with an 0-3 record. That projection is almost as bad as CBS giving JLo an A+ for drafting my team. (Just kidding, buddy, still grateful you jumped in so I didn't auto draft 4 kickers).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:53 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:07 pm it's absolutely brutal. 1-2 with two just horrible bad beats.
In my other league, I had the highest total points after week 2 and was somehow 0-2. My team sucked this week, so I'm 0-3. It's an ESPN league, and they project what place every team will finish and update each week. I'm still projected as finishing first with an 0-3 record. That projection is almost as bad as CBS giving JLo an A+ for drafting my team. (Just kidding, buddy, still grateful you jumped in so I didn't auto draft 4 kickers).
Lol. The Allen Robinson experience has been anticlimactic at best. Only 3 more weeks til D-Hop though!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:53 pm
Lol. The Allen Robinson experience has been anticlimactic at best. Only 3 more weeks til D-Hop though!
I really thought Robinson would revert back to his old self after leaving the Bears. Just extra painful to endure as I drafted him last year and it took me far too long to give up on him.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah and you know the week you bench him he's going to go off.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:06 pm Yeah and you know the week you bench him he's going to go off.
I'd be happy to see a spark of life out of him.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I feel your Robinson pain. I’ve got him in both my leagues. This is the worst swamp league team I’ve ever had. Fecking auto draft.

Seven guys on my team being listed as “questionable” doesn’t help, either.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ha, DSafe rated his own gambling story!!!
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 pm Ha, DSafe rated his own gambling story!!!
There are inside jokes for some people every week.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 pm Ha, DSafe rated his own gambling story!!!
I figured, a lot of lines seemed like jokes that weren't meant for me. What is the origin of the TIGHT jokes?
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm
I figured, a lot of lines seemed like jokes that weren't meant for me. What is the origin of the TIGHT jokes?
Four or five years ago, when it was Stick's Picks (we've whored out the job to different people willing to do it), he started noting that the playoff picture was always TIGHT (including all-caps) because there's usually 11 of 12 teams still alive with three weeks to go and nine teams who aren't officially dead in the final week. He also enjoyed it when I had to write stupidly long and detailed playoff updates. So, after I took it over a few years ago, I kept using TIGHT and added the corporate sponsorship thing, which I'm already trying how to figure out how to change for next season.

So, just world-building in a gambling column for a fantasy football league.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I have to tell you it's impressive you do those every week. I tried this year in the league I've commished for 22 seasons and lost steam after week 2.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:04 pm I have to tell you it's impressive you do those every week. I tried this year in the league I've commished for 22 seasons and lost steam after week 2.
Thank you. It is a real drag some weeks and there was one a couple years ago I closed the last game preview with something like, "sorry the jokes sucked, I'll do better next week". Hearing anyone appreciates a joke or refers to it in any way feels great because it just feels like I'm sending it out into the abyss and no one actually reads it.

A big help I figured out a couple years ago was to chop it into thirds. Tuesday - tally results from week before and write intro, Wednesday - first draft of the game picks and edit intro, Thursday - update lines and edit before posting. I still always sweat the Thanksgiving week to try to get it out early Thursday.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:13 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:04 pm I have to tell you it's impressive you do those every week. I tried this year in the league I've commished for 22 seasons and lost steam after week 2.
Thank you. It is a real drag some weeks and there was one a couple years ago I closed the last game preview with something like, "sorry the jokes sucked, I'll do better next week". Hearing anyone appreciates a joke or refers to it in any way feels great because it just feels like I'm sending it out into the abyss and no one actually reads it.

A big help I figured out a couple years ago was to chop it into thirds. Tuesday - tally results from week before and write intro, Wednesday - first draft of the game picks and edit intro, Thursday - update lines and edit before posting. I still always sweat the Thanksgiving week to try to get it out early Thursday.
That's a great idea.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I feel obligated to read, because you clearly spend a lot of time on it, but it’s always funny and I like the corporate sponsorships. Davo on Men in Blazers always says TIGHT in an overemphasized way, so I always read that in his voice.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

it is HUGELY impressive. Best part of joining this league by far. It has been delightful.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:08 pm
it is HUGELY impressive. Best part of joining this league by far. It has been delightful.
Good, I hope you use the dating advice I doled out in Week 3.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh learned scribe - since I've been carrying two rather shitty underperforming defenses, pretty easy call to pickup a K and just carry two through Carlson's bye week. He's good and what not.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:37 am Oh learned scribe - since I've been carrying two rather shitty underperforming defenses, pretty easy call to pickup a K and just carry two through Carlson's bye week. He's good and what not.
Oh, new guy - yet another ongoing theme from previous seasons.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Not carrying two kickers made me learn the hard way this league locks players at effed up times!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone interested in a fantasy basketball league? A league I'm in needs one for a draft tonight.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:23 am Anyone interested in a fantasy basketball league? A league I'm in needs one for a draft tonight.
what are details? Platform? Etc.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:30 am
Giff wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:23 am Anyone interested in a fantasy basketball league? A league I'm in needs one for a draft tonight.
what are details? Platform? Etc.
Head-to-head roto. $50 buy-in. Yahoo!

Roster Positions: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL, IL+
Players Stat Categories: Field Goals Made (FGM), Field Goal Percentage (FG%), Free Throws Made (FTM), Free Throw Percentage (FT%), 3-point Shots Made (3PTM), Points Scored (PTS), Total Rebounds (REB), Assists (AST), Steals (ST), Blocked Shots (BLK), Turnovers (TO)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I think I can. Snake draft? What time?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Snake draft at 9:30. Waiting to hear back to see if he found anyone yet.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:25 pm Snake draft at 9:30. Waiting to hear back to see if he found anyone yet.
Ok.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He filled it apparently. Thanks for stepping up.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Phew. $50 saved.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well, this has been a fun free fall!

I walked off both my other cash leagues last night. Was down ~2 in both leagues. In one, my opponent had the Saints and that score cost him 3 points, but he had the kicker, so I ended up winning 117.14-117.04. In the other, I had White going as my RB and went from down 2 to up 5. Very nice.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You only got 7 points out of White with a TD? Lucky, that was with like 4 seconds left in the game.