Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We've said it many times over the years, and it predates Drumpf... When the notion of "shame" left the political arena (almost exclusively, but not entirely, on the right side of the aisle) this type of shit was the logical endpoint.

The tipping point was probably Palin, but the deeper roots were from the right wing media faction that really began picking up steam in the mid- to late-90s.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Holy shit, the thread of sitcom names erases all the bad caused by the internet. That is amazing stuff. And referring to Boebert as "Granny GrabbinSchwantz" has me dying. Can't wait to tell my father that name.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

OMG. I missed that thread.

The Inbredables.

Comedy gold in that thread.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, added the link after my initial post and it was simultaneously bottom paged.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Strokey and the Bandit

That's brilliant.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm snickering.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:38 am I'm snickering.

Of course, you know the spin - east coast Harvard elites (including a Jew!) yadda yadda.

Just read about this guy - Next GOP Nominee For Governor of North Carolina
There was the time he called school shooting survivors “media prosti-tots” for advocating for gun-control policies. The meme mocking a Harvey Weinstein accuser, and the other meme mocking actresses for wearing “whore dresses to protest sexual harassment.” The prediction that rising acceptance of homosexuality would lead to pedophilia and “the END of civilization as we know it”; the talk of arresting transgender people for their bathroom choice; the use of antisemitic tropes; the Facebook posts calling Hillary Clinton a “heifer” and Michelle Obama a man.
Canadian International
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:40 am Just read about this guy - Next GOP Nominee For Governor of North Carolina
There was the time he called school shooting survivors “media prosti-tots” for advocating for gun-control policies. The meme mocking a Harvey Weinstein accuser, and the other meme mocking actresses for wearing “whore dresses to protest sexual harassment.” The prediction that rising acceptance of homosexuality would lead to pedophilia and “the END of civilization as we know it”; the talk of arresting transgender people for their bathroom choice; the use of antisemitic tropes; the Facebook posts calling Hillary Clinton a “heifer” and Michelle Obama a man.
Yeah, he's a real piece of work. Just crazy. And the GOP loves him because he's black, so he proves that they can't be racist.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sinema not running is probably a pretty huge deal for Gallego, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:29 pm Sinema not running is probably a pretty huge deal for Gallego, right?
I think.

Last I checked, he's allegedly trailing Scary Keri Lake though. (Rasmussen)

Like.... WTF on that. He must be running a shit campaign.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What will happen is with her out of the race, name recognition for him will jump quite a bit. He's likely "losing" in polls right now simply due to this name rec issue. Lots and lots of folks aren't paying ANY attention to a Senate race in Jan-March. Really, the vast majority of voters won't tune in until the end of summer.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:50 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:29 pm Sinema not running is probably a pretty huge deal for Gallego, right?
I think.

I think polls are worthless. Only people even older than me participate in them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I genuinely hope that whenever Sinema is out in public someone yells at her that she could have protected the right to vote for Black Americans, yet chose not to. Fuck her straight to Hell.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I think.

Or a majority of the fine people of Arizona are paranoid angry white Christians. It's the Occam's Razor approach to political analysis. Remove the preconceptions of what you think people (even friends and neighbours) should be like and you will never be surprised when they act like Austrians in the late 30's.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Polls are useless. Too much information available to people so ill let sancsrlos fill in the rest as that’s his twitter thing. Lo e when he goes on a tear.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:58 pm I think polls are worthless. Only people even older than me participate in them.
There are people older than you?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think.

Fuck Ruben Gallego for being polite to that piece of shit.

Borrowed/lifted from the comment section on a Defector article:
Senator Kyrsten Sinema of the Coruscant Delegation voted in favor of Emperor Palpatine.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:33 pm I genuinely hope that whenever Sinema is out in public someone yells at her that she could have protected the right to vote for Black Americans, yet chose not to. Fuck her straight to Hell.
The link in his first tweet is 404'd, so Michael fixed it himself.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Actually its racist to call a black guy antisemetic so really both sides are wrong here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus, North Carolina. This woman also won her primary.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That Mark Robinson dude is like (Uncle Ruckus + Samuel L. Jackson's character from Django Unchained + Kanye West) x 1,000.

Holy shit, man.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:33 pm Jeebus, North Carolina. This woman also won her primary.
this is a national trend at this point -- extreme candidates win GOP primaries more often than not because the base wants that extremism. it's been heading that way for years.

probably not the best general election strategy overall, but still incredibly scary
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

This would seem like the easiest winning strategy for Dems. Put screenshots of this guy’s FB posts denying the Holocaust on giant billboards with a red background and stick them around the Research Triangle. Then do the same with his anti-Black posts and put them in Black neighborhoods in Charlotte and Wilmington. And then end it by saying if you don’t vote then this guy will be in charge. It’s not that hard.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:08 am This would seem like the easiest winning strategy for Dems. Put screenshots of this guy’s FB posts denying the Holocaust on giant billboards with a red background and stick them around the Research Triangle. Then do the same with his anti-Black posts and put them in Black neighborhoods in Charlotte and Wilmington. And then end it by saying if you don’t vote then this guy will be in charge. It’s not that hard.
Yet, it could end up being too difficult for them to do.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:08 am This would seem like the easiest winning strategy for Dems. Put screenshots of this guy’s FB posts denying the Holocaust on giant billboards with a red background and stick them around the Research Triangle. Then do the same with his anti-Black posts and put them in Black neighborhoods in Charlotte and Wilmington. And then end it by saying if you don’t vote then this guy will be in charge. It’s not that hard.
FFS, there are cities in red states where people have to transfer buses to get to their polling station.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:23 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am
FFS, there are cities in red states where people have to transfer buses to get to their polling station.
To be clear, I was talking about the strategists.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't know why Aaron Rupar splits this into 5 videos (there's a few more tweets in not linking), but what Nancy Mace did here is simply disgusting.

I would not have been able to do what George Stephanopoulos did in keeping his composure.

Watching that back and forth reminded me of this Bill Burr skit:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Where was Mayor Pete???

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You have a real hard-on for that guy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How can this be read any other way than a US Senator saying an ally will stop intentionally starving civilians if they get what they want?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:13 pm

How can this be read any other way than a US Senator saying an ally will stop intentionally starving civilians if they get what they want?
Yeah, this is nuts. So many people have lost their minds over October 7 and the reprisals.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gotta love how Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO) dropped a huge giant "Fuck You" to Boebert on his way out the door.

Boebert slams Buck’s decision as ‘weak sauce,’ says she won’t run in special election
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) called Rep. Ken Buck’s (R-Colo.) decision to resign early “weak sauce” but said she would not be resigning to run in the special election to fill his seat.

Boebert represents the state’s 3rd Congressional District, which includes the Western Slope and much of southern Colorado. She announced late last year, however, that she would run for Buck’s seat, which is the 4th District in eastern Colorado, after Buck announced he would not seek reelection.

But Buck moved up his retirement, saying Tuesday he plans to leave Congress at the end of next week. The decision triggers a special election this summer to fill out the remainder of his term and threatens Boebert’s chances of being elected to his seat.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So they're going to have a special election in the summer AND the normally scheduled election in November?

And boo fucking hoo.

ETA: Just read the linked article. That's chef's kiss good.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:07 pm So they're going to have a special election in the summer AND the normally scheduled election in November?

And boo fucking hoo.
I think so.

A similar thing happened to McCain's seat in AZ. Had he stepped down honorably once his cancer wasn't going away, it would've triggered a special election.

Instead, he stuck around, died after the cutoff date for a special election, allowed the Republican governor Doug Ducey to appoint John Kyl to serve out his term, and kept the Republicans from ceding control of the Senate.

I'd have to double check the timeline, but yea. He could've fucked Trump over and didn't. Maverick.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:12 pm Instead, he stuck around, died after the cutoff date for a special election, allowed the Republican governor Doug Ducey to appoint John Kyl to serve out his term, and kept the Republicans from ceding control of the Senate.
And then when Kyl stepped aside, Ducey appointed Martha McSally, who had previously lost the OTHER senate seat to Sinema.

And then McSally lost to Mark Kelly.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So now we’re focused on the evils of Tik Tok? Fortunately, there are aren't any more important issues ongoing in our country, right? Right?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 pm So now we’re focused on the evils of Tik Tok? Fortunately, there are aren't any more important issues ongoing in our country, right? Right?
I mean, the critiques are fair, but they were also equally fair 4 or 5 years ago. And back then, Tik Tok wasn't nearly the behemoth it is today.
Totally Kafkaesque
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 pm So now we’re focused on the evils of Tik Tok? Fortunately, there are aren't any more important issues ongoing in our country, right? Right?
I mean, the critiques are fair, but they were also equally fair 4 or 5 years ago. And back then, Tik Tok wasn't nearly the behemoth it is today.
Seems similar to the attacks on Twitter before Musk destroyed it. Any large messaging platform that they can't buy or influence enough is a threat (which also relates to the importance of local media in another thread)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:00 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 am
Seems similar to the attacks on Twitter before Musk destroyed it. Any large messaging platform that they can't buy or influence enough is a threat (which also relates to the importance of local media in another thread)
That's a different conversation though. TikTok is run out of Singapore by a Chinese national.

The irony though is if they're so concerned about bad actors shaping public opinion, they need to look in the fuckin mirror.
Noli Timere Messorem