Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d »

Probably similar corporate bullshit?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I'd imagine that too. Apparently Sirota is okay with that, though?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve, are you more annoyed if you get tripped by an opponent or a teammate?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am Steve, are you more annoyed if you get tripped by an opponent or a teammate?
I'm more annoyed when tripped by a teammate.

But Sirota clearly sees the Democratic Party as opponents more than teammates, so I'm not sure how that helps.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 am
mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am Steve, are you more annoyed if you get tripped by an opponent or a teammate?
I'm more annoyed when tripped by a teammate.

But Sirota clearly sees the Democratic Party as opponents more than teammates, so I'm not sure how that helps.
Kinda seems like it's Manchin and Sinema who are doing the tripping. Not the person reporting it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 amI'm more annoyed when tripped by a teammate.

They party was like 95% of the way to $15 and two people blocked it and are now profiting. You can go semantics or parse analogies, but we both know you know exactly what everyone is saying here.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 amI'm more annoyed when tripped by a teammate.

They party was like 95% of the way to $15 and two people blocked it and are now profiting. You can go semantics or parse analogies, but we both know you know exactly what everyone is saying here.
Just so I'm clear, you agree that the Democratic Party, led by Joe Biden, is 95% on board with a $15 minimum wage?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm not particularly surprised or even disappointed that Manchin leans right; that's the only way he could possibly win in West Virginia. I'm much more disappointed in Sinema. I naively thought that a nutty, LGBT woman would've been more progressive instead of being so beholden to bipartisanship.

ETA: and corporate interests.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 amJust so I'm clear, you agree that the Democratic Party, led by Joe Biden, is 95% on board with a $15 minimum wage?
I said they were 95% of the way there and allowed two people to obstruct. Probably not the same thing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 amJust so I'm clear, you agree that the Democratic Party, led by Joe Biden, is 95% on board with a $15 minimum wage?
I said they were 95% of the way there and allowed two people to obstruct. Probably not the same thing.
"Allowed".

Yes, once again, the Democrats allowed 48 to be less than 50. They suck.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I ask this sincerely: How many less wins would the GOP have had during the last admin if Schumer rather than McConnell was in charge of getting Murkowski/Collins/Romney et all in line?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Actually, Mister D, you must be forgetting about the _______ vote."

I'm not talking about outliers, I'm asking overall, how much less successful would they have been pushing the McConnell/Republican agenda.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm I ask this sincerely: How many less wins would the GOP have had during the last admin if Schumer rather than McConnell was in charge of getting Murkowski/Collins/Romney et all in line?
the same number because you subtract those three and add Pence and you still have a GOP majority from 2018-20 (because there was no one else with a remote chance of deviating from a party-line vote)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How do you want me to well-actually proof phrase this? "Would Schumer have gotten Kavanaugh and Barrett seated?" Does that work for the point I'm trying to make and the answer "some people here" are trying to avoid?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:11 pm How do you want me to well-actually proof phrase this? "Would Schumer have gotten Kavanaugh and Barrett seated?" Does that work for the point I'm trying to make and the answer "some people here" are trying to avoid?
With a majority made up of Senators who wholeheartedly wanted to see Kavanaugh and Barrett on the Supreme Court, as McConnell had? Yes.

What evidence do you have that McConnell is more able to force R senators to do what they don't want than Schumer does with D senators?

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when McConnell couldn't get ACA repeal through the Senate despite having a majority.

Edit: Let's also turn the clock way back to March 6, 2021. Two of the worst human beings on the planet, Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema, both cast decisive votes in favor of "the most significant legislation for working people that has been passed in decades."

If Chuck Schumer is responsible when either or both of them *don't* vote for something the Democrats want, isn't he also responsible for their votes on the ARP Act?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:11 pm How do you want me to well-actually proof phrase this? "Would Schumer have gotten Kavanaugh and Barrett seated?" Does that work for the point I'm trying to make and the answer "some people here" are trying to avoid?
sometimes I feel like you're intentionally P**N***-level obtuse in these discussions in an attempt further your argument when the inverse may actually be the reality
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The argument was that two Dems were profiting off their tanking of the $15 minimum wage. Steve asked why people aren't equally mad at Republicans. It devolved from there into whether Schumer had any ability or desire to lead the party as a whole. If you want to say I shouldn't have bothered taking the diversion bait ... sure. But which part is obtuse, willfully or not?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm
But which part is obtuse, willfully or not?
The hypothetical question you asked, namely.

It's fair to say that the Democratic coalition -- if you want to call it that -- is much more broad than the Republican one is. And I say that as an observation, and not a defense of anyone or anything. I don't think it's all that unexpected or surprising to see 4 percent of the Democrats in the Senate not in line on that. it's just more noticeable because the majority margin is so thin.

and as to the original question above -- none. The GOP had both chambers and the executive for two years and then a three-seat edge in the senate for the last two of that presidential term.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm The argument was that two Dems were profiting off their tanking of the $15 minimum wage. Steve asked why people aren't equally mad at Republicans. It devolved from there into whether Schumer had any ability or desire to lead the party as a whole. If you want to say I shouldn't have bothered taking the diversion bait ... sure. But which part is obtuse, willfully or not?
Yes, you never should have responded to the person who brought up Schumer. Who was that, anyway?

Anyway, I didn't realize that the argument was that two Dems were profiting off their tanking of the wage. I don't know if I buy that - I thought Sinema and Manchin tanked the minimum wage because they are terrible people.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t see the distinction, Steve.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pmIt's fair to say that the Democratic coalition -- if you want to call it that -- is much more broad than the Republican one is.
I don’t know if I buy this. I think they vote far more narrowly, but I don’t think they’re all tightly bunched ideologically.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe better put, I doubt many Dems vote against their conscience nearly as often as a lot of republicans do. They play as a team.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This Florida anti-riot bill is just some classic big-government conservatism. Shit is nuts and is so obviously going to be rampantly abused.

https://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/ ... /Filed/PDF
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A minor whose driver license or driving privilege
452 is revoked, suspended, or withheld under subsection (8)(7) may
453 elect to reduce the period of revocation, suspension, or
454 withholding by performing community service at the rate of 1 day
455 for each hour of community service performed. In addition, if
456 the court determines that due to a family hardship, the minor's
457 driver license or driving privilege is necessary for employment
458 or medical purposes of the minor or a member of the minor's
459 family, the court shall order the minor to perform community
460 service and reduce the period of revocation, suspension, or
461 withholding at the rate of 1 day for each hour of community
462 service performed. As used in this subsection, the term
463 "community service" means cleaning graffiti from public
464 property.
what in the turquoise fuck
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This is some Nazi-ass shit
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That's the law that removes civil liability for running a protestor over with your car, is it not?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 pm That's the law that removes civil liability for running a protestor over with your car, is it not?
Yep. It's chock full of ridiculousness.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It also allows citizens to sue their local governments for inadequate protection during a protest, basically giving cops an even pointier jackboot.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:24 pm It also allows citizens to sue their local governments for inadequate protection during a protest, basically giving cops an even pointier jackboot.
And there's no liability if the municipality in any way "obstructs or infringes" on the actions of the municipal police force (which is odd as if this bill becomes law there will no longer be any such thing as a municipal police force in practice).

Anyway get ready to go clean some graffiti, poor kids with suspended licenses.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ben Shapiro is ALL MAN.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's actually just a shingle.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am Ben Shapiro is A LITTLE FUCKING PISHER.

FIFY
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Did Home Depot take a Conservative stand on something? So bizarre. I love how he put the board in a plastic bag to create waste to own the Libs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pressuring them on Georgia voter rights.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Is there a single con commentator who isn’t an abject dipshit?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Not only that, but he owned the libs by buying a premium product since lumber prices are through the roof. MONEY!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am Did Home Depot take a Conservative stand on something? So bizarre. I love how he put the board in a plastic bag to create waste to own the Libs.
The co-founder is/was a huge Trump supporter.

Home Depot co-founder Bernie Marcus: Trump deserves a second term and has my vote. Here's why
President Trump has stared down COVID-19, the biggest threat this country has faced in at least a generation. If re-elected, he will quickly end this COVID nightmare and restart the American dream. Just look at Thursday's record 33.1 percent GDP growth for the latest proof.

Trump deserves a second term not despite his COVID-19 response, but because of it. While Democrats try to blame Trump for the roughly 220,000 disease victims, far more would have perished if Joe Biden were in office.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am Ben Shapiro is ALL MAN.

Nothing says 'Manly' like a schmedium tee shirt tucked into a pair of Kirkland brand jeans.