Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Fucking Democrats, proposing to take four years to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour.

Sanders proposed to do it over six years.
The Raise the Wage Act of 2019 would:
• Gradually raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 over the next six years to lift millions of
workers out of poverty, stimulate local economies, and restore the value of minimum wage;
https://edlabor.house.gov/imo/media/doc ... 0Sheet.pdf
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If there's a $15 minimum wage in January 2025, I'll mail you two hours, Steve.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:53 pm If there's a $15 minimum wage in January 2025, I'll mail you two hours, Steve.
Two hours at Steve's billable rate.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:53 pm If there's a $15 minimum wage in January 2025, I'll mail you two hours, Steve.
Sure. Who knows what will actually pass. I would not be surprised if the ultimate figure is cut at the behest of people who just have to see themselves as "moderate" and will insist on a compromise even if the original proposal is moderate.

But my point is that the folks who are blowing up the Twitters right now complaining about the "Democrats" because their bill includes a four-year phase-in are morons.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:36 pm
Sure. Who knows what will actually pass. I would not be surprised if the ultimate figure is cut at the behest of people who just have to see themselves as "moderate" and will insist on a compromise even if the original proposal is moderate.

But my point is that the folks who are blowing up the Twitters right now complaining about the "Democrats" because their bill includes a four-year phase-in are morons.
Every state that has made major increases to minimum wage has done it in increments over several years. It's much easier for businesses to manages a dollar or two each year and slowly increase than face a close to 50% increase. Keep in mind, they aren't just going to need to increase minimum wage employees, but most employees to keep a similar gap in wages between minimum wage jobs and more skilled/difficult jobs. This will also affect all employers, really, as they need to keep wages attractive, even if they are paying over $15/hour now. Then you need to factor in salaried employees needing to stay over the minimum wage equivalent, and the threshold for exempt salaried employees will go up (if an exempt employee earns less than minimum wage for the year, employers are required to go back and calculate total hours worked for the entire year and pay OT whenever they went over 40 hours in a week and in some states, if they went over 8 hours in a day). This isn't a simple change to implement.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:36 pm

Every state that has made major increases to minimum wage has done it in increments over several years. It's much easier for businesses to manages a dollar or two each year and slowly increase than face a close to 50% increase. Keep in mind, they aren't just going to need to increase minimum wage employees, but most employees to keep a similar gap in wages between minimum wage jobs and more skilled/difficult jobs. This will also affect all employers, really, as they need to keep wages attractive, even if they are paying over $15/hour now. Then you need to factor in salaried employees needing to stay over the minimum wage equivalent, and the threshold for exempt salaried employees will go up (if an exempt employee earns less than minimum wage for the year, employers are required to go back and calculate total hours worked for the entire year and pay OT whenever they went over 40 hours in a week and in some states, if they went over 8 hours in a day). This isn't a simple change to implement.
Yup. And I'm old enough to remember the last few minimum wage increases, which were also phased in incrementally.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I absolutely get the phase in. I don't believe there's a chance we have a $15 national minimum wage in 48 months.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 pm I absolutely get the phase in. I don't believe there's a chance we have a $15 national minimum wage in 48 months.
It's hard to put that genie back in the bottle. The minimum wage has never legislatively gone DOWN in the history of the country. It's not great optics for the Republicans to reverse it even if they could (I'm guessing Biden would veto even if GOP takes the House back and Senate in 2022).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:52 pm I absolutely get the phase in. I don't believe there's a chance we have a $15 national minimum wage in 48 months.
I thought you were criticizing the 4 year aspect of the proposal.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The minimum wage in San Francisco is currently $16.07.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:55 pm
It's hard to put that genie back in the bottle. The minimum wage has never legislatively gone DOWN in the history of the country. It's not great optics for the Republicans to reverse it even if they could (I'm guessing Biden would veto even if GOP takes the House back and Senate in 2022).
Agreed, but until people are universally receiving $15, there's nothing to reverse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm The minimum wage in San Francisco is currently $16.07.
I think a bunch of major cities (and my Whole Foods!) have it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:59 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:56 pm The minimum wage in San Francisco is currently $16.07.
In-N-Out starting salary is $17.5/hr (for whatever that's worth). If you pay employees a livable wage and treat them like human beings, you get good service and production. Weird how that works.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:59 pm
In-N-Out starting salary is $17.5/hr (for whatever that's worth). If you pay employees a livable wage and treat them like human beings, you get good service and production. Weird how that works.
But I can't pay out dividends to my stockholders in happy, productive employees.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even in public companies with dividends to pay and targets to hit I never understood the logic of treating your employees like replaceable cogs in a machine, but I'm getting a first-hand lesson in that this week. The wheels of machinery needs to be oiled with the blood of the workers.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think the whole dividends over wages shit is just rich people's excess over workers' gains and most rich people don't care about workers.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:10 pm I think the whole dividends over wages shit is just rich people's excess over workers' gains and most rich people don't care about workers.
Do companies even pay dividends anymore? It seems like the goal of management is to juice short-term profits so the share price goes up, then bail out before things fall to shit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:43 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:10 pm I think the whole dividends over wages shit is just rich people's excess over workers' gains and most rich people don't care about workers.
Do companies even pay dividends anymore? It seems like the goal of management is to juice short-term profits so the share price goes up, then bail out before things fall to shit.
If my Chrome suggested articles is any indication, Motley Fool has article after article of the "Best 2" or "Top 8" dividend stocks to jump on daily. Gets kinda annoying.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Not good!!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh my God. This fucking woman is disgusting.

A nude photo of Claudia Conway was briefly posted on Kellyanne's Twitter

Jesus christ.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:41 pm Oh my God. This fucking woman is disgusting.

A nude photo of Claudia Conway was briefly posted on Kellyanne's Twitter

Jesus christ.
That family is just wanting a show on MTV..
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Fucking Tuberville
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Are women allowed on the punchable faces thread?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I felt a little bad for her when I saw the video of the kid who pretended to pose for a selfie with her on the street than berated her. Seeing this, fuck her. Berating a damned high school kid who survived a school shooting. Of course he didn't answer your questions, your a psychotic gun nut badgering a high school kid on the street.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

psunate77 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 pm Fucking Tuberville
Rape America Great Again?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Hopefully Puerto Rico is next.. Repubs are crying over this, but forget the shit they pulled in the Dakotas to get more seats.
Doesn't DC have a larger population than three or four states?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's going to get worse. It's going to get much, much worse. When Hawley or Cruz (or Trump/Trump Jr.) is elected in 2024, that's the end of democracy.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ah well but what can they really do, you know? Hands are tied by only having the majority of the Senate and House and the presidency.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:33 am It's going to get worse. It's going to get much, much worse. When Hawley or Cruz (or Trump/Trump Jr.) is elected in 2024, that's the end of democracy.

Do they really have the Trifecta tho? Biden is in the WH and after that isn't not clear, they have it on party numbers, but voting in the Senate is up in the air with Manchin and Sinema voting against Dems so much.

Them losing the House in 2022 is a real possibility that they need to face and really push shit right now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The thing about Greene and Parkland is this should be very simple to take advantage of. Either she believes it and isn't mentally sound enough to serve or she doesn't believe it and should be a fucking pariah to even Republicans.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 amRepubs are crying over this, but forget the shit they pulled in the Dakotas to get more seats.
The Democrats were in control of the House when they voted to approve the Enabling Act of 1889.

Congressional Record, bitches.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:23 pm The thing about Greene and Parkland is this should be very simple to take advantage of. Either she believes it and isn't mentally sound enough to serve or she doesn't believe it and should be a fucking pariah to even Republicans.
I disagree, and if she came out and said I trolled a school shooting survivor merely for publicity, she’d be lauded by the right.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don’t think that’s true. A certain Trump-ian faction for sure, but there’s a lot of the right that will allow the implicit but reject the explicit.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just a wild guess - none of the yokels in rural Georgia who elected her are calling for her removal or censure.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 pm Just a wild guess - none of the yokels in rural Georgia who elected her are calling for her removal or censure.
Jimmy Gomez is, but we all know this will never go through since they would need 2/3 votes in the House.
I bet McCarthy will give her some award or some shit considering when asked about this, he ignored it and bitched about Liz Cheney instead.

Lets hope the dems really push Brittany Smith down there. they just won the two Senate seats from that state so beating her is possible.
https://twitter.com/BTrambauer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Trump won that district by fifty points, so I don’t think it really screams “pickup opportunity.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Only real hope is that a non-nutjob Republican primaries her like finally happened to Steve King. Unfortunately, she's probably super popular with the kind of white supremacist mouth-breathers that make up most of the GOP base now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty sure putting her on Education & Labor indicates the Republicans see her as a useful tool. Too bad the Dems are powerless to respond.