Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Wait until the great "What Retired Air Force Veterans Think About Board Games" hearings.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:58 pm Wait until the great "What Retired Air Force Veterans Think About Board Games" hearings.
Johnnie gonna roll over like a 20-sided dice.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nah. I've played enough social deduction games to bluff fairly decently.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

All the other kindergarteners laughed at me for loving taupe. Well who’s laughing now.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A while back, I had a disagreement with some folks about whether it was correct to accuse the Right of book burning where they burned some empty boxes as a stunt and they weren't actually burning books.

Well, they're explicitly burning books now - and making it part of their campaign platform.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

WTF is her accent?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:09 pm WTF is her accent?
No idea. Sounds atrocious.

But I did @ rapper Connor Price because she's using his song in this video. Hopefully he sees it. Doubtful though. I don't have enough of a following to get retweeted.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:09 pm WTF is her accent?
Mail-order.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hate that I live in a country where I can't be certain that that women won't be president someday.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:56 pm A while back, I had a disagreement with some folks about whether it was correct to accuse the Right of book burning where they burned some empty boxes as a stunt and they weren't actually burning books.

Well, they're explicitly burning books now - and making it part of their campaign platform.

I think it's pretty obvs they were floating a trial balloon. It's a despicable act that should be called as such. The fallback from the pushback would be the dink (Gina Carano) that got dumped on her huge ass by Disney for spouting anti-vax, anti-trans crap who is now claiming her free speech was violated.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:04 pm Hate that I live in a country where I can't be certain that …a… women won't be president someday.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, a woman will be president one day. A Republican one well before a Democrat one.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:55 pm Oh, a woman will be president one day. A Republican one well before a Democrat one.
I can’t imagine any of the currently prominent Republican women having much chance
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Unless/until the GOP separates itself from the whackadoo religious/cult bent they are on, they ain't electing a feemale to be president. These weirdos want things rolled back to 1950 (or earlier.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think the majority of the GOP would be fine to go back at least 90 years than that date.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:34 am Unless/until the GOP separates itself from the whackadoo religious/cult bent they are on, they ain't electing a feemale to be president. These weirdos want things rolled back to 1950 (or earlier.)
As long as that woman is willing to legislate their misogyny, it's even a bigger win. They feel it legitimizes their bullshit even more. It's the Candace Owens thing. "Oh if we're sexist, racist troglodytes, how do you explain her? Surely nobody would support policies intended to oppress them!"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I think a woman Republican president is a lot closer than some think. It'll be a Maggie Thatcher situation.

A female Republican - unless she's a complete nutjob like Greene - will naturally appear "moderate", and voters like that. Plus, she'll get a lot of votes from conservatives for the reasons Jerloma said.

Hell, it could be Nikki Haley. If Trump dropped dead tomorrow, I'd put solid money on her being president next year.

(And yes, that would be terrible.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not trying to be annoying, but what scenario would alter the landscape to allow for a Haley to succeed when she doesn't even beat "other" in this primary.

There is no scenario right now that allows for a moderate to get through the GOP primary process. That's the point I was making. Until that changes, it's not that a Haley type wouldn't be attractive in a general election... But that aint happening until the Tea Party-->MAGA trend wanes, they are stuck with their cult leadership/following model.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 pm I think a woman Republican president is a lot closer than some think. It'll be a Maggie Thatcher situation.

A female Republican - unless she's a complete nutjob like Greene - will naturally appear "moderate", and voters like that. Plus, she'll get a lot of votes from conservatives for the reasons Jerloma said.
I think that's a mindset that isn't true today. Maybe 20 years ago but not now, even including your nutjob disclaimer. And to be clear, I'm not saying that sexism doesn't play a role, i'm just saying that there are no guarantees a woman is even slightly less conservative than men, even in basic opinion.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:06 pm I think a woman Republican president is a lot closer than some think. It'll be a Maggie Thatcher situation.

I think that's a mindset that isn't true today. Maybe 20 years ago but not now, even including your nutjob disclaimer. And to be clear, I'm not saying that sexism doesn't play a role, i'm just saying that there are no guarantees a woman is even slightly less conservative than men, even in basic opinion.
to piggyback off this, the gutting of Roe v. Wade has likely changed the political calculus immensely. there's no real "moderate" thruway in the GOP
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:56 pm I'm not trying to be annoying, but what scenario would alter the landscape to allow for a Haley to succeed when she doesn't even beat "other" in this primary.

There is no scenario right now that allows for a moderate to get through the GOP primary process. That's the point I was making. Until that changes, it's not that a Haley type wouldn't be attractive in a general election... But that aint happening until the Tea Party-->MAGA trend wanes, they are stuck with their cult leadership/following model.
Trump dying. Haley lost to "other," because those were Trump voters voting in a primary that Trump didn't run in. The Nevada Primary/Caucus is the craziest thing and not seeming to get much attention. Nevada law required a primary, so the RNC rigged the system to guarantee Trump the delegates. They held the primary, but stripped it of delegates and instead created a "caucus" that was really a separate primary, and said candidates could only run in one. For some reason, Haley chose to run in the one that didn't count. And despite breaking all rules and norms to cheat for Trump, he turned on Rona Romney McDaniel and demanded the RNC fire her as Chair to get an even more loyal Trumpist. I wish we could travel back in time and tell the GOP powers that giving Trump an inch would lead to him castrating the entire party with his bare hands, and they will all smile while he rips their balls off.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And the Republicans call Democrats the cucks. Trumps waltzed in and fucked the party while LeAdErShIp sat in the corner and watched.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Florida Democratic Party didn't even allow a primary. They just gave Biden the nomination.
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:33 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:29 pm

to piggyback off this, the gutting of Roe v. Wade has likely changed the political calculus immensely. there's no real "moderate" thruway in the GOP
To add to your point, it was the gutting of Roe v Wade reinforced by a woman Supreme Court justice appointed explicitly to help gut Roe v Wade.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:10 pm Put my vote under "somehow a private jet parking spot will open up for Taylor Swift".
In the end she had to land in the LA area and drive to Vegas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Couple of nuggets...

Turnout was closer to a mid-term than a special... Pollsters continue to underestimate Dem enthusiasm. Apparently, some polls had this neck and neck, others a 4 point margin... He won by 8 points.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The "Good thing happens...and how's that bad for Joe Biden" thing is a meme that political Reddit/Twitter/commentators jump all over.

It's such a fucking joke and shows how far down journalism has fallen.

If Joe Biden wins in November, I'm sure an outlet like The Onion will write "Biden re-elected president. How that hurts Joe Biden in 2028" or something.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:41 pm The "Good thing happens...and how's that bad for Joe Biden" thing is a meme that political Reddit/Twitter/commentators jump all over.

It's such a fucking joke and shows how far down journalism has fallen.

If Joe Biden wins in November, I'm sure an outlet like The Onion will write "Biden re-elected president. How that hurts Joe Biden in 2028" or something.
At least that would be true. This is in no way bad news, but I wouldn't read too much into it. I think after the embarrassment of Santos, the Dem was going to have a better chance, and this Dem was a longtime incumbent in the district.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m not pro fat-shaming, but that’s a great fuck you photo of Santos.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:09 pm Couple of nuggets...

Turnout was closer to a mid-term than a special... Pollsters continue to underestimate Dem enthusiasm. Apparently, some polls had this neck and neck, others a 4 point margin... He won by 8 points.
Polls will always overstate GOP strength. Nobody under 65 participates in telephone polls. Nobody under 65 has a landline. Nobody under 65 answers a call from an unknown number.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And while that is certainly true, the Sky is Falling Press has spent a lot of time overcompensating for fucking the 2016 election by saying Trump voters have been under-represented in polling to explain away what you are (essentially) saying:

Polling is not great anymore. There all sorts of reasons across all sorts of demographics that polling isn't giving us an accurate picture of those who are actually voting.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:30 pm I’m not pro fat-shaming, but that’s a great fuck you photo of Santos.
Aren't there waivers on rules for things like that?

Like, you wouldn't make fun of your friend's mother for becoming senile. But if it's Trump? Bombs away.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That seems remarkably inaccurate but OK.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I am truly stunned that an opponent of Putin died in prison.

My bet is on six shotgun blasts to the stomach...worst case of suicide they'd ever seen.

But it's probably a window.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Isn't poison the preferred method?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 am Isn't poison the preferred method?
I think they tried that on him and it didn't take so I figure they left nothing to chance.