Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by mister d »

How would you answer balancing current events with the appearance of negativity?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My personal opinion is that people are dying in a genocide and all bets are off. I continue to hold the opinion that there are enough cultural/societal issues that make voting for anyone other than Biden in November is the ultimate cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's unconscionable, tbh.

But these protests and this pressure is absolutely appropriate.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

(Some of you guys seem incapable of reading "this isn't my opinion, I'm just conveying a school of thought" I guess.)

((And I'm just kidding, I get it.))
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think me asking you to clarify shows that I was very capable of understanding your first post. Mister Reading Comp.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

On my business card, next round.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, I meant me. You can't use that.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This whole damn charade comes down to the fundamental question of what's more important: the required geopolitical alliance between America and Israel or telling Israel to settle the fuck down when they start acting like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas?

Since it continues to be the former why should people* care about who's president ever at all? Because if ongoing genocide and continued human rights violations are being tacitly allowed by the good guys, then WTF?

*(And please note, I'm talking about normies who barely follow politics in the grand scheme. Not the ones who can read between the lines and parse the nuance.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:58 pm This whole damn charade comes down to the fundamental question of what's more important: the required geopolitical alliance between America and Israel or telling Israel to settle the fuck down when they start acting like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas?

Since it continues to be the former why should people* care about who's president ever at all? Because if ongoing genocide and continued human rights violations are being tacitly allowed by the good guys, then WTF?

*(And please note, I'm talking about normies who barely follow politics in the grand scheme. Not the ones who can read between the lines and parse the nuance.)
My sister sent this in a text when we were discussing things..."The kids are usually on the right side of the issue, but they are terrible publicists." Which sounds about right.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 pmMy sister sent this in a text when we were discussing things..."The kids are usually on the right side of the issue, but they are terrible publicists." Which sounds about right.
The kids don't pay for major television networks.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:58 pmSince it continues to be the former why should people* care about who's president ever at all? Because if ongoing genocide and continued human rights violations are being tacitly allowed by the good guys, then WTF?
To protect a woman's right to abortion.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:15 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:58 pmSince it continues to be the former why should people* care about who's president ever at all? Because if ongoing genocide and continued human rights violations are being tacitly allowed by the good guys, then WTF?
The cynic in me believes that never codifying Roe v Wade was a long term "if the bad guys ever catch the car guess what we can campaign on" galaxy brain political strategy.

And let's be serious here. Abortion is never getting codified. Ever. Democrats don't have the balls or votes in the Senate to expand the Supreme Court and neutralize Alito or Thomas. And they damn sure won't go Michael Corleone on Republican Governors if and when that same Supreme Court rules the president is basically a king.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Supreme Court could only pound sand if you can get a constitutional amendment passed.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:56 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:15 pm
The cynic in me believes that never codifying Roe v Wade was a long term "if the bad guys ever catch the car guess what we can campaign on" galaxy brain political strategy.

And let's be serious here. Abortion is never getting codified. Ever. Democrats don't have the balls or votes in the Senate to expand the Supreme Court and neutralize Alito or Thomas. And they damn sure won't go Michael Corleone on Republican Governors if and when that same Supreme Court rules the president is basically a king.
I don't think codifying Roe v Wade would have prevented red states from restricting abortion as they have. Congress tried to codify a federal legal standard for reviewing local laws impinging on the free exercise of religion, and the Supreme Court struck that down.

Codifying Roe v Wade would accomplish a few things, for sure, but the basic problem of states passing laws restricting the right to abortion would still exist.

The right to abortion will only be reinstated when the Dems get a majority on the Supreme Court. Which requires electing Democrats to the White House and the Senate.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Thu May 02, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I definitely think it’s a risk that disillusioned young people might not vote.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:39 pm I definitely think it’s a risk that disillusioned young people might not vote.

Yeah, it’s by far my biggest fear right now. I’m clinging to the hope that because memories are so short, this will all be forgotten in six months.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kinda feels like Biden lost the race today and it's all fucking self-inflicted.

1. Dissent only led to disorder because the police stepped in. These were mostly peaceful protests.
2. Dissent and disorder is how we fucking became a country.

It's easy for me to say since I live here, but if the election was today, I definitely would not be voting for him.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:02 pm if the election was today, I definitely would not be voting for him.
Yeah, let’s give Trump another shot. He’s harmless, right?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:02 pm Kinda feels like Biden lost the race today and it's all fucking self-inflicted.

1. Dissent only led to disorder because the police stepped in. These were mostly peaceful protests.
2. Dissent and disorder is how we fucking became a country.

It's easy for me to say since I live here, but if the election was today, I definitely would not be voting for him.
You would, because you'd remember all the other reasons why he is millions times better than the alternative - including on Israel-Palestine.

Sadly, though, so many others would not, and we would be fucked.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:11 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:02 pm if the election was today, I definitely would not be voting for him.
Preface this by saying this is not directed at you SanCarlos ...

Lets say (hypothetically, of course) Biden decides his 2nd term platform is fixing the country's infrastructure and, to fund it, he proposes a massive tax code restructuring so the burden only falls on people above the middle-middle class. A wealth tax plus every dollar over $100,000 is taxed at 40%. What percentage of the people who present-day say there's literally nothing Biden can do to justify withholding your vote as long as Trump is the other side would suddenly find that one thing Biden can't do?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:18 pmYou would, because you'd remember all the other reasons why he is millions times better than the alternative - including on Israel-Palestine.
Yeah, imagine what would happen under Trump? There could be an US-funded genocide or something.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Or pregnant women might have to wear tracking devices. Fortunately I’m a straight white guy so I don’t have to worry about things like that and I can entertain either party in office.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:25 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:18 pmYou would, because you'd remember all the other reasons why he is millions times better than the alternative - including on Israel-Palestine.
Yeah, imagine what would happen under Trump? There could be an US-funded genocide or something.
There would be a far increased chance of an actual genocide, as opposed to what is happening now (which is still murderous and unjustified and indefensible IMO).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:24 pm
Preface this by saying this is not directed at you SanCarlos ...

Lets say (hypothetically, of course) Biden decides his 2nd term platform is fixing the country's infrastructure and, to fund it, he proposes a massive tax code restructuring so the burden only falls on people above the middle-middle class. A wealth tax plus every dollar over $100,000 is taxed at 40%. What percentage of the people who present-day say there's literally nothing Biden can do to justify withholding your vote as long as Trump is the other side would suddenly find that one thing Biden can't do?
The people on Twitter you're referring to would still stay with Biden.

But millions of others would not.

Hell, change your hypothetical to "adopting single payer health care", and it would be the same outcome. Anyone who promises to raise taxes on basic non-rich Americans will get killed in the polls.
Last edited by Steve of phpBB on Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pretty sure my vote's not going to count regardless. If I lived in a swing state, I would. But his response to all of this has been very awful. He doesn't deserve my vote by default.

At this point, even if Biden won I wouldn't trust him. If these were a bunch of pro-choice people doing the same thing these students are doing, I don't believe that he wouldn't have the same exact take. And fuck that. Someone 61 years ago had it exactly right. Insert LGBTQ+, pro-Palestine supporters, pro-choice supporters, pro-gun control supporters, etc. His recent actions shouldn't give anyone any comfort he wouldn't do the same to other groups to keep the peace.
MLK wrote:First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:29 pm Or pregnant women might have to wear tracking devices. Fortunately I’m a straight white guy so I don’t have to worry about things like that and I can entertain either party in office.
Biden's president now and I'm at the point I'd risk being stopped if I tried to travel to your state with my oldest daughter or wife.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:29 pm Or pregnant women might have to wear tracking devices. Fortunately I’m a straight white guy so I don’t have to worry about things like that and I can entertain either party in office.
Biden's president now and I'm at the point I'd risk being stopped if I tried to travel to your state with my oldest daughter or wife.
Fair, but we have exactly two choices in this country. And the other one is WAY worse.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm
Yes. Because eight years ago, too many people didn’t care enough whether Hillary beat Trump.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It was ridiculous Wisconsin didn't travel to see her campaign speeches.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So cool Pelosi and the party helped fight off the leftist challenger to Cuellar.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Our boy Joe just lost a bunch of people, probably permanently, amongst the youth.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A_B wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:03 pm Our boy Joe just lost a bunch of people, probably permanently, amongst the youth.
This?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:30 pm
A_B wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:03 pm Our boy Joe just lost a bunch of people, probably permanently, amongst the youth.
This?
That's what I was referring to, yes.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:31 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:30 pm
This?
That's what I was referring to, yes.
Listen, if Joe needs to be pro Anti-Semitism to win, I'm good w that. We'll be ok. FTJ!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hadn't read that article yet. Yeesh.

It's not antisemitic to say that that Israel killing people indiscriminately with American money is bad and wrong.

How tough is this? Is the necessity for having Israel as an ally this important? It really makes me think politics is a big fix that the current U.S. president has to be so tone deaf about this.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its the same as calling americans anti-american because they don't agree with the american government. Intentional conflation of a government and its people.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's tricky with Israel. If you criticize, say France, for their policies, nobody calls you a racist or anti-semite. Of course, the vast majority of reasonable people can separate the actions of the Israeli government or IDF from all Jews (and Hamas from Muslims/Palestinians), but American politics and media are absolutely not driven by reasonable people anymore.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So anti-semitism isn’t on the rise since October?

Several things can be true at once:

1) Incidents of anti-semitism have risen dramatically since October.
2) It’s reasonable and responsible to call this out.
3) Legitimate criticism of Israel’s government is not anti-Semitic
4) No one reasonable is suggesting that it is.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

All true. But as I said above, it's not the reasonable people driving the narrative.
Totally Kafkaesque