Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

If Boris said this he'll be looking for another fridge to hide in

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The one on the right.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nothing like a little genocide for Rick Santorum...

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:54 am The one on the right.
I dunno ... isn't that too obvious?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The electoral college changes a bit.

TExas gets two more seats. Colorado, Florida, Montana, NC and Oregon gain one.

California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia and Ohio all lose one.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A few on twitter are saying NY lost their vote by a margin of under 100 people (who surely exist and simply weren't counted).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:59 pm A few on twitter are saying NY lost their vote by a margin of under 100 people (who surely exist and simply weren't counted).
Yeah, that's a drag. There were uncounted people I'm sure in MN (?) also, but probably way more in NY.

On the other hand, there's probably a bunch of people in NY who responded to the various census surveys but died of Covid before 4/1/20.

If the House was several times larger, as it should be, this would be less of an issue.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I couldn't find the answer on a cursory (30 second or so) Google check. What happens to the House when a new state is added in between census? Like if DC ultimately becomes a state in, say, 2022. Does the House then just have 436 members until the new census in 2030 and then it gets reapportioned to 435?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm The electoral college changes a bit.

TExas gets two more seats. Colorado, Florida, Montana, NC and Oregon gain one.

California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia and Ohio all lose one.

I made this point after the 2016 election. The surefire way for Democrats to win the presidency is population distribution into red states.

Take a million of the surplus of Democrats out of California and put them across the red states where it was close and it could very well lead to better gains politically.

Any reasonable person should be able to conclude this. Biden won by 7 million more votes but nearly lost the presidency by 43k.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hot take from Brian Kilmeade on Fox and Friends, making excuses about why Biden has a higher approval rating than Trump. The made up Russia stuff, but more ridiculous, because Hillary refused to admit she lost the election!!!! WTF, she conceded the night of the election unlike the asshole who called for an insurrection that lead to storming the Capitol and continues to throw rallies saying the election was stolen. I mean, do they realize how idiotic they sound?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:23 pm Hot take from Brian Kilmeade on Fox and Friends, making excuses about why Biden has a higher approval rating than Trump. The made up Russia stuff, but more ridiculous, because Hillary refused to admit she lost the election!!!! WTF, she conceded the night of the election unlike the asshole who called for an insurrection that lead to storming the Capitol and continues to throw rallies saying the election was stolen. I mean, do they realize how idiotic they sound?
To whom? They're rewriting history so that it can be consumed by the masses.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:18 pm I couldn't find the answer on a cursory (30 second or so) Google check. What happens to the House when a new state is added in between census? Like if DC ultimately becomes a state in, say, 2022. Does the House then just have 436 members until the new census in 2030 and then it gets reapportioned to 435?
I believe that has to be addressed in the Enabling Act for the state - but I do think they would almost certainly do it as you suggested.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I put a Pod Save America interview with Hunter Biden right down there with any conservative podcast interviewing any other conservative personality. Just why?

And anytime I hear about Hunter Biden all I can think of is the opening part to this Damon Wayans bit about kids:

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:23 pm I mean, do they realize how idiotic they sound?
No

Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Speaking of stupid...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For a second I was like...Signal is not secure communication?

Then the article says they were screenshots. Like, damn. Dude wanted to keep receipts to take everyone down. Using Signal is meant to keep it untraceable.

Grand jury subpoena for Signal user data, Central District of California
Just like last time, we couldn’t provide any of that. It’s impossible to turn over data that we never had access to in the first place. Signal doesn’t have access to your messages; your chat list; your groups; your contacts; your stickers; your profile name or avatar; or even the GIFs you search for.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fucking God dammit this piece of shit scumbag.

We can never have real fucking progress in this country.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Fox News has been paving the way for a Donald Trump for 30 fucking years.

Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Kansas Rep. Mark Samsel arrested for battery after physical altercation with student
Kansas state Rep. Mark Samsel was arrested on charges of misdemeanor battery on Thursday after getting into a physical altercation with a student while substitute teaching in Wellsville.

Samsel, 36, was booked into the Franklin County Adult Detention Center after 3:30 p.m. Thursday. He has since been released on $1,000 bond, Sheriff Jeff Richards said.

Superintendent Ryan Bradbury said that Samsel will no longer be allowed to work for the district.

On Wednesday, Samsel, R-Wellsville, was substitute teaching at the Wellsville school district’s secondary school. Throughout the day, high school students began recording videos of the lawmaker talking about suicide, sex, masturbation, God and the Bible.

In one video shared with The Star, Samsel tells students about “a sophomore who’s tried killing himself three times,” adding that it was because “he has two parents and they’re both females.”

“He’s a foster kid. His alternatives in life were having no parents or foster care parents who are gay,” Samsel tells students. “How do you think I’m going to feel if he commits suicide? Awful.”

In another video, Samsel is recorded telling students, “make babies. Who likes making babies? That feels good, doesn’t it? Procreate. ... You haven’t masturbated? Don’t answer that question....God already knows.”
Wow...just...wow...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For the GOP that’s presidential timber right there.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I still can't believe that I am at a place where I am rooting for Liz Cheney, but here we are and continue to be...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure what to make of this, but I love how language can be so malleable even when trying to get at a point.

Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Watch out for Count Binface in todays election for London's mayor

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:34 am Not sure what to make of this, but I love how language can be so malleable even when trying to get at a point.

I know exactly what to make of it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm so glad that I've never had to be in a position to have to appear that detached from reality on camera.

Gross and disturbing to watch.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I remember Paris Dennard from some major embarrassing moment that went viral, but can't remember what it was. There have been so many insanely stupid mouthpieces and politicians out of the GOP in the last decade, I can't remember them all.

ETA: This was it. Guy is a fucking moron.

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:06 pm I remember Paris Dennard from some major embarrassing moment that went viral, but can't remember what it was. There have been so many insanely stupid mouthpieces and politicians out of the GOP in the last decade, I can't remember them all.

ETA: This was it. Guy is a fucking moron.

Is it self-loathing? Sociopathic tendencies? Like, what makes a person like this Paris idiot or Steven Miller get so snugly into bed with people who would happily watch you drown?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, he's a garbage human being. I just felt that at some point you made your point. And for whatever reason it looked bad on the interviewer (when I knew it shouldn't) by continuing with the interview.

Note: Not the rest of the interview where he twists everything. But the beginning of it. That clip was shared as "RNC spokesperson refuses to say Joe Biden is president" when I saw it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

holy fuck. reading through this now.... i don't know why i am but i'm stunned that in my lifetime stuff like this has still been published

(it's sad that there are really no ends to my naiveté when it comes to this - "Ole Massa" .... !!! )
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I really wish I had a couple of you smart guys with me last night. Went out for a few beers with an old friend. Well, he’s a republican and we proceeded to argue politics for a good part of the night. He kept making statements and claims that I strongly suspected were incorrect/untrue (probably pounded into his head by Fox News). But, I don’t follow things closely enough to have slam dunk rebuttals at the ready to refute his claims. So we just butted heads until the conversation veered to friendlier territory.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I can't stop laughing.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Why does her outfit match the couch?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Because she's sofa king stupid?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:35 pm Because she's sofa king stupid?
Crackerjack!
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ooof. Yang had to walk this back. But this doesn't exactly read like a real apology.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The fact that people did and do support this guy as anything resembling a serious left candidate drives me insane. Even more malleable than Buttigieg but too dumb to smooth out the process.

(I'm sure he's smarter than me. I mean politically dumb.)