Random Cartography

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Random Cartography

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:30 pm We have a main drag here in the west suburbs that travel time is all about making it through the first light, if you get stopped add 25-30 minutes as you're getting EVERY light on the way South.
I'm guessing Wadsworth...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I use Google Maps any time I’m driving more than 15 minutes. Traffic can be unpredictable here. My daughter used to make fun of me, accusing me of not knowing how to get to her field despite driving it 3 days a week. Until the day it took me a different route and a couple of her teammates got stuck in traffic we about. She panics about being late.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:56 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:30 pm We have a main drag here in the west suburbs that travel time is all about making it through the first light, if you get stopped add 25-30 minutes as you're getting EVERY light on the way South.
I'm guessing Wadsworth...
You'd be correct Sir.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:37 pm I use Google Maps any time I’m driving more than 15 minutes. Traffic can be unpredictable here. My daughter used to make fun of me, accusing me of not knowing how to get to her field despite driving it 3 days a week. Until the day it took me a different route and a couple of her teammates got stuck in traffic we about. She panics about being late.
I use it like this as well, it's extra fun on long trips to see how much time you can shave off. Once I was south of CO Springs and it told me to exit to the frontage road, 2 miles ahead there was an accident and traffic was backing up, I went by at 55 and then got back on the other side.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:21 am So each morning my phone suggests a route to work with an estimated ETA. However, me, with my superior brain, knows that's a trap route. So I never take it (way more traffic, more stoplights, etc., but ends with a 55 mph speedlimit for a few miles that presumably is how it says that is the best route). I have a route I use and I consistently beat Apple Maps by 4-5 minutes. So how come it doesn't remember that I drive this route 98% of all work days and it's faster than what it said? I'm back off the train. AI is useless.
UPDATE: My neighbor directly across the street works with a sister company in our office. We left at the same time. I went my usual way. Not sure what route he took (it's possible he used GPS because he's from South Africa and hasn't been in town that long) but I know I got to the parking lot, sat and pumped myself up until the end of a song, walked to the door and then saw him pull into the parking lot. Now I don't know if he stopped or whatnot but if he didn't my way was 3-4 minutes faster. So close that it seems difficult to believe he stopped.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:07 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:37 pm I use Google Maps any time I’m driving more than 15 minutes. Traffic can be unpredictable here. My daughter used to make fun of me, accusing me of not knowing how to get to her field despite driving it 3 days a week. Until the day it took me a different route and a couple of her teammates got stuck in traffic we about. She panics about being late.
I use it like this as well, it's extra fun on long trips to see how much time you can shave off. Once I was south of CO Springs and it told me to exit to the frontage road, 2 miles ahead there was an accident and traffic was backing up, I went by at 55 and then got back on the other side.
I'm sure I'd use it more in a more metropolitan area. Hell, the youngest uses it just about no matter what. Kids just don't know backstreets these days. If you're not ending up driving down Meth Avenue by mistake are you even living?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:32 amNow I don't know if he stopped or whatnot but if he didn't my way was 3-4 minutes faster. So close that it seems difficult to believe he stopped.
Leave work the same time as him today then wait on his porch 3-4 minutes until he gets home and ask him?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:45 am
A_B wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:32 amNow I don't know if he stopped or whatnot but if he didn't my way was 3-4 minutes faster. So close that it seems difficult to believe he stopped.
Leave work the same time as him today then wait on his porch 3-4 minutes until he gets home and ask him?
I suggest wearing tinted aviators and chewing on a toothpick. Start the conversation in a slow drawl saying, "I don't know how you do things back in South Africa, but in Kentucky..."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt