Netflix Suggestions?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Netflix Suggestions?

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone watch the Dahmer thing yet? Any good?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:28 pm Anyone watch the Dahmer thing yet? Any good?
You'll eat it up!

[I haven't seen it.]
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I love it just for the memes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:19 pm I had no idea this, about the '83 America's Cup, was on Netflix...excited to watch it.

I watched this last night...it was very cool. And even though he went on to win the Cup back, you can tell that Dennis Conner is still haunted by losing in '83.

And the old 12 meters are cooler boats. The new foiling boats just don't require the same level of crewmanship.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Watched half of the Nick Kroll stand up special.

Seemed more like he was playing a stand-up than actually performing stand up. Material was pretty weak too, and I'm usually a fan of stories that end in poo or pooing. Even when there's two of them in 20 minutes.

Still like him as a performer and writer, but it was pretty weak.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's REALLY interesting you came to that conclusion. He was on a podcast talking about the special and he pretty much says (without saying) that he has imposter syndrome when it comes to stand-up. You probably know he's part of a group of Georgetown students/comedians that includes Mike Birbiglia and (of course) John Mulaney... So it's understandable he doesn't rate himself on their level. He said he's always kind of had 20 minutes ready to go, but doing a special was a stretch for him.

He does a lot of cringe comedy sketches, which... I need to be in the right mood to enjoy.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Between Big Mouth and The Kroll Show, I was very excited about this. But I also tend to agree with most of what Pruitt says about film/TV so now the bar is lowered (which will probably be a good thing).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watched the gray man on the plane. Pretty standard action movie. Decent way to kill a flight.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’ve never seen anything Nick Kroll was in before watching that standup tonight and … he’s just 50% less annoying Chris Kattan, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 pm I’ve never seen anything Nick Kroll was in before watching that standup tonight and … he’s just 50% less annoying Chris Kattan, right?
Nah, he's actually really talented. Watch "The Kroll Show"
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 pm I’ve never seen anything Nick Kroll was in before watching that standup tonight and … he’s just 50% less annoying Chris Kattan, right?
He was solid in the League.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is anyone watching The Watcher? Its terribly written and not even close to the true story but I'm sure we'll hang in because its local. Also, PDX, Naomi Watts looks great for mid-50s.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Season 3 of "Derry Girls" is good, but the actors really look their age this season. Also...
[+] spoiler
Episode 6 - Claire's father's death was a tonal shift out of nowhere - and it came at the end of a typically silly episode. A real pet peeve of mine - as if the writers and show runner decided that they had to make the show somehow "real" Hate it
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:40 am Is anyone watching The Watcher? Its terribly written and not even close to the true story but I'm sure we'll hang in because its local. Also, PDX, Naomi Watts looks great for mid-50s.
I vaguely remember the story, but I'm not going to look it up. The Mia Farrow character and her... Brother? Are kind of ridiculous.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:40 am Is anyone watching The Watcher? Its terribly written and not even close to the true story but I'm sure we'll hang in because its local. Also, PDX, Naomi Watts looks great for mid-50s.
When I saw the trailer pop up I got excited, because I read about the story and spend a lot of time in that town. Watched the trailer and thought it looked horrible and way off from the real story, so I'll be passing. Always been a big fan of Naomi Watts though.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:18 am
When I saw the trailer pop up I got excited, because I read about the story and spend a lot of time in that town. Watched the trailer and thought it looked horrible and way off from the real story, so I'll be passing. Always been a big fan of Naomi Watts though.
I really liked Cannavale in that series from a couple years back (9 perfect strangers) but I'm not a big fan of his character in this series. He's such a specific type of guy, not sure it really fits with the Naomi Watts character or the family in general. Seems off and I can't quite put my finger on it.

But, my wife really likes horror movies/shows and I don't and... This show is close enough and she's happy to be watching something in that genre. Even though it's highly fictionalized, it helps me knowing it's true story-adjacent.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I got shown a preview while browsing last week and looked it up just to verify it was based on the local incident but don't know that I'll watch (unless my wife decides she wants to).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:34 amHe's such a specific type of guy, not sure it really fits with the Naomi Watts character or the family in general. Seems off and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Yeah, he's exceptionally aggressive but not in a way that moves the story. Its just like a personality trait no one really mentions and that doesn't seem to be true to the real owner of the house.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Like, the way he's acting towards his daughter... Having gone through that with my daughter... The way he is acting just isn't realistic. Unless you are in, like, a family of first generation or maybe second generation immigrants? Maybe?

It's just an odd character. He's super sweet with his son, but weirdly old-school with his daughter. And, yet, he hires this cute young guy to do the security??

It's just a weird show with a lot of headscratchers, and that's just the pilot/E1 that I watched.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

If you do watch "Derry Girls" season 3, might as well stop after episode 5.

The last two episodes are pretty bad, with the long "one year later" recap being really poor.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So now, because of The Watcher series, the house is drawing some weirdos going to just stop and stare at the house and stuff, probably to the disconcert of the new residents. Very meta.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:53 am So now, because of The Watcher series, the house is drawing some weirdos going to just stop and stare at the house and stuff, probably to the disconcert of the new residents. Very meta.
Asd if the owners and neighbors didn't have enough issues selling or dealing with lurkers before. I'd be so pissed about the show if I lived in the neighborhood.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Thought that the first season of Avenue 5 was pretty good, with a few real laugh out loud moments.

The 2nd season started meh and by the 3rd episode devolved into just plain stupidity - even the snappy insults sound contrived.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I watched the first like 15 seconds of the trailer of “Pepsi, Where’s My Jet” to be sold. Great show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:02 pm I watched the first like 15 seconds of the trailer of “Pepsi, Where’s My Jet” to be sold. Great show.
I'm intrigued by this. I remember the commercials and hearing about this story when it happened. I'm just getting annoyed with all the 4/6/8 part documentaries with stories that could easily be told in 90 minutes.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:22 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:02 pm I watched the first like 15 seconds of the trailer of “Pepsi, Where’s My Jet” to be sold. Great show.
I'm intrigued by this. I remember the commercials and hearing about this story when it happened. I'm just getting annoyed with all the 4/6/8 part documentaries with stories that could easily be told in 90 minutes.
Fair though at least this is like 4 40 minute eps. I don’t mind just breaking it up a little.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:24 pm
Fair though at least this is like 4 40 minute eps. I don’t mind just breaking it up a little.
I plan on watching this. I love documentaries, but too many of the episodic ones drag on.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It will also scratch any 80s nostalgia you may have.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:33 pm
Watched the first episode. 1995 nostalgia, I would have guessed it was a few years earlier. Definitely could have been 60-90 minutes, they just drag out scenes with an actor wearing 90s clothes to act out scenes that really don’t need it. The guy seems normal today, but his planning sounds like a crazy moron. Also seems like he conflated his story with the Seinfeld episode where Newman and Kramer brings cans to Michigan for 10 cent deposits.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I previewed the first few minutes of Tim Burton's "Wednesday" to see what it's about. Just before they enter Nevermore. It looks like it'll be fun (if you're a Tim Burton fan or not).
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, I just finished the first episode.

It's good.
Noli Timere Messorem
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:52 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:33 pm
Watched the first episode. 1995 nostalgia, I would have guessed it was a few years earlier. Definitely could have been 60-90 minutes, they just drag out scenes with an actor wearing 90s clothes to act out scenes that really don’t need it. The guy seems normal today, but his planning sounds like a crazy moron. Also seems like he conflated his story with the Seinfeld episode where Newman and Kramer brings cans to Michigan for 10 cent deposits.
Just finished this. Got distracted at the beginning of episode 3 when the recreation Avenatti came on screen, as it's someone I used to know and have acted with in the past. But beyond that, I really enjoyed this.
[+] spoiler
Kinda made me pissed that the judge didn't even allow any depositions to go forward.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

anyone watch 1899? watched the first episode last night. I'm not sure about it. I thought it was dumb they went to that ship in the middle of the night when they could have just waited until the morning
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:59 am anyone watch 1899? watched the first episode last night. I'm not sure about it. I thought it was dumb they went to that ship in the middle of the night when they could have just waited until the morning
My wife’s been watching that. I’ve only been paying partial attention. It seems really convoluted and strange and creepy. But she’s liked it enough to keep watching.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

If you're in the mood for colourful absurdity (that goes well with edibles), you could do much worse than "Gudetama: An Eggcellent Adventure."

One thing about Japanese shows - when they go over the top, they go way over the top.

Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So my main golfing buddy here has a brother who is on this show that starts in March:

He's at the 12-second mark. Apparently I'm now going with my buddy to LA in two weeks for a watch party in West Hollywood and staying on the beach at a place called The Georgian in Santa Monica. My life can be very weird. A Kentucky 5 is what, a LA -8? I'm gonna need a new wardrobe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's badass AB!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:07 am Apparently I'm now going with my buddy to LA in two weeks for a watch party in West Hollywood and staying on the beach at a place called The Georgian in Santa Monica. My life can be very weird. A Kentucky 5 is what, a LA -8? I'm gonna need a new wardrobe.
So when you were here in NJ last summer my wife and youngest were in SM staying with a friend of my wife's. She lives a block or two from the pier and she and her on-again-off-again BF would totally show you guys around. Almost certainly totally.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The