Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by L-Jam3 »

Great news, Syb. The laparoscopy is key.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just visited the hospital, and I'm in shock over how good he looks! He was finishing a cheeseburger and wanted to walk a lap around his floor. The physical therapist stopped by this morning and said he doesn't need her help as he has full range of motion. He asked to come off pain meds yesterday (he's always hated pain meds, which I will never understand), and says he has no pain at all. This morning they said he might be released tomorrow, but now they are saying Saturday is more likely.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Great news, Syb!
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:12 pm Just visited the hospital, and I'm in shock over how good he looks! He was finishing a cheeseburger and wanted to walk a lap around his floor. The physical therapist stopped by this morning and said he doesn't need her help as he has full range of motion. He asked to come off pain meds yesterday (he's always hated pain meds, which I will never understand), and says he has no pain at all. This morning they said he might be released tomorrow, but now they are saying Saturday is more likely.
My mom (following her father) was vehemently against pain meds. Something in that generation stuck with them about opioids.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:12 pm Just visited the hospital, and I'm in shock over how good he looks! He was finishing a cheeseburger and wanted to walk a lap around his floor. The physical therapist stopped by this morning and said he doesn't need her help as he has full range of motion. He asked to come off pain meds yesterday (he's always hated pain meds, which I will never understand), and says he has no pain at all. This morning they said he might be released tomorrow, but now they are saying Saturday is more likely.
My mom (following her father) was vehemently against pain meds. Something in that generation stuck with them about opioids.
He gets dizzy and nauseous and hates the feeling.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Great news, Syb!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's so great to hear!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great to hear.
And, my parents also are much against pain meds.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

One thing that's been getting more and more annoying to me is how dumb and disingenuous people on "my side" of the political divide can be. Paxton didn't steal Texas from Biden and Beto, Idaho did not pass a law preventing pregnant women from crossing state lines, and billionaires did not make $3.8 trillion "during the pandemic."

Paxton is terrible. The Idaho law is bad and was certainly passed with bad intentions. Wealth inequality is a huge problem and billionaires make too much money (and should be taxed way way more).

I believe all those statements are one hundred percent true. We shouldn't need to rely on half-truths and deception to support our positions.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm One thing that's been getting more and more annoying to me is how dumb and disingenuous people on "my side" of the political divide can be. Paxton didn't steal Texas from Biden and Beto, Idaho did not pass a law preventing pregnant women from crossing state lines, and billionaires did not make $3.8 trillion "during the pandemic."

Paxton is terrible. The Idaho law is bad and was certainly passed with bad intentions. Wealth inequality is a huge problem and billionaires make too much money (and should be taxed way way more).

I believe all those statements are one hundred percent true. We shouldn't need to rely on half-truths and deception to support our positions.
I’m glad they got Ken Paxton out of your Dad’s lung, Syb.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rants don’t have to stay on topic!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:49 pm We shouldn't need to rely on half-truths and deception to support our positions.
Where have you been the past 30 years? Legit wondering.

Stop trying to win the war of the 'just', and instead just win the war in front of you.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This is awesome.

:)
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nice to wake up to good news for a change!
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Trying to round up proper ID for my son to get his drivers license, and it's not easy getting acceptable proof of residency for a minor! There is a long list of acceptable items, but he doesn't get a property tax bill, doesn't have bank statement, government employee ID, health insurance with his name as the insured... they accept a school report card, but our district stopped sending them a few years ago. On the plus side, expired passports are acceptable within 3 years of expiration. His just expired a couple weeks ago.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think I just had to sign a form saying they live with me as a minor, and that address had to be what they used on the permits, which of course was correct at the time. Between you and Rass, it sounds like NJ DMV sucks assballs.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:46 am I think I just had to sign a form saying they live with me as a minor, and that address had to be what they used on the permits, which of course was correct at the time. Between you and Rass, it sounds like NJ DMV sucks assballs.
You can't begin to imagine... Marriage license was on the list, so most Kentuckians are set for getting their drivers license.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:49 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:46 am I think I just had to sign a form saying they live with me as a minor, and that address had to be what they used on the permits, which of course was correct at the time. Between you and Rass, it sounds like NJ DMV sucks assballs.
You can't begin to imagine... Marriage license was on the list, so most Kentuckians are set for getting their drivers license.
So his Guido gold chain with his initials doesn't work either?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

[insert popcorn gif]
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:00 pm [insert popcorn gif]
Sorry to disappoint, laughing too hard at AB's comeback to respond.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What type of driver's licenses do they issue in Bayonne?

Class EYYY!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Here's something I cannot understand.

So, my wife is a Checklist Person. She's always been that way and that's totally cool. It's her thing.

Well, we're married. So now I have to be a Checklist Person too. So there are lists on the counter for things that needs to happen. I'm guessing this was a good idea moment from a friend (also a Checklist Person) to communicate better or whatever.

Fine, ok. Whatever. It initially came across as passive aggressive because one day there's just a list without any prior warning or discussion, but I have to teach myself that it isn't because this is the easiest way to communicate and you always have to communicate.

So, with that said, there's a small checklist on the kitchen island this morning with "put towels away" and "Goodwill." The latter, totally understandable we have some stuff to get rid of, but the former...

Dude. I cannot for the life of me understand that my wife can use towels, throw them in the hamper, wash them, dry them, and after folding them....just leave them on the coffee table for days and days AND instead of simply putting them away make a fucking checklist item to put them away. It takes as much time to do either.

So now I have a checklist item to accomplish and it's like that meme of the dude who's confused with the "What!?" face. And to make it even dumber, she's awake at 4 in the morning. She left for work at 7.

Like, I'm not overreacting, right? This is stupid, right? But you can't say it's stupid. Even though it is. Because that's marriage.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode about this very type of thing.

The suitcase at the bottom of the stairs. S7:E22, titled "Baggage."
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:02 pm What type of driver's licenses do they issue in Bayonne?

Class EYYY!
I’ll use that in my truck driving class this week. It’ll kill!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yeah, I don't consider the laundry "done" until it's folded and put away. Does she always leave the dish towels on the counter? Because that seems like something a quick conversation would fix.

Or failing that, make it a compromise. Whoever puts the towels away receives oral to completion. That seems like a win-win if there ever was one.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We do our laundry separately. There isn't a 'laundry chore' that we switch off weekly or whatever.

I tried helping with laundry once and that's when I learned that Lululemon yoga pants have a warranty that gets voided if you wash and dry them incorrectly.

From that point forward we do our own respective laundry.

So the towels were part of her laundry. She put everything else away except for them. Makes me even more dumbfounded.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So you're saying you're not a fan of receiving oral?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm a list person because I have to be.

I encourage my wife to make me to do lists and I just push back when it gets into projects that are something I have to go to Home Depot and/or watch a YouTube tutorial to complete. Not that I won't do it, but that's more like "I'm gonna block off Sunday to deal with."

With that said, folding laundry and just leaving it on the coffee table is weird. That would take 35 seconds to complete. C'mon now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:31 pm So you're saying you're not a fan of receiving oral?
Didn't say that at all. Just giving context in case there was an assumption that we trade off chores or something.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I do all the laundry and the lady does all the dishes. She doesn't have lululemons, but she has things she doesn't like dried. I, a grown man, have cracked the code and am capable of remembering things.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"Honey, it looks like you left the dish towels on the coffee table again." UNZIP.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just quietly put the towels away this time and in a few days leave a list for Girl Johnnie that says ...

- Use towels
- Throw towels in hamper
- Wash towels
- Dry towels
- Fold towels
- Leave towels on coffee table
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:46 pm Just quietly put the towels away this time and in a few days leave a list for Girl Johnnie that says ...

- Use towels
- Throw towels in hamper
- Wash towels
- Dry towels
- Fold towels
I know this is a joke, but I might actually do this even if I get shit for it later.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:51 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:46 pm Just quietly put the towels away this time and in a few days leave a list for Girl Johnnie that says ...

- Use towels
- Throw towels in hamper
- Wash towels
- Dry towels
- Fold towels
I know this is a joke, but I might actually do this even if I get shit for it later.
Better update your profile on the dating apps.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm lucky enough to have a wife who enjoys that kind of shit so even if she was annoyed up front, it would be acknowledged as funny later. I know this isn't universal so don't blame me if it flops.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:43 pm I do all the laundry and the lady does all the dishes. She doesn't have lululemons, but she has things she doesn't like dried. I, a grown man, have cracked the code and am capable of remembering things.
We both put the laundry in (she more often than I), but I tend to be the folder. I actually like to do that while watching something silly on TV. I also tend to fold prior to travel. I'm weirdly meticulous about it.

She does the bulk of the cooking, but I do the dishes.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Lists are good things. To a point.
Encouraging you wife to do something they aren't doing can be good. Or, not.
We all gotta learn to let the small things go. (I'm not saying I necessarily follow my own advice, but I know I ought to do so.)
My wife and I agree on all the major things. But, we bicker over lots of meaningless stuff. I need to let little things go.
29 years. Still working on it...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:54 pm Lists are good things. To a point.
Encouraging you wife to do something they aren't doing can be good. Or, not.
We all gotta learn to let the small things go. (I'm not saying I necessarily follow my own advice, but I know I ought to do so.)
My wife and I agree on all the major things. But, we bicker over lots of meaningless stuff. I need to let little things go.
29 years. Still working on it...
You need the little things to squabble over to let off steam though.

Still, happy wife, happy life.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Wife has asked me after I dried something that gets hung up or hung up something that goes in the dryer, “does laundry confuse you”. I told her it does and that got me out of doing anything other than towels and sheets.

Everything else we split. Except the oral.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ok, so I got an answer.

She feels that washing, drying, folding, and putting away towels is a shared responsibility. (Like stepping the bed and cleaning the sheets, for example.) Since she did the washing and drying, I do the putting away.

But I didn't know this. And the chat about it went like this:

Her: "Thanks for putting away the towels."

Me: "No problem. But I have a question. Why did you make that an item to put on a checklist?"

Her: "Because a checklist is a way for me to tell you something."

Me: "Right, but you washed those towels with your laundry and you put away all of your laundry. So it only took like 20 seconds to put away the towels. I just thought it was kinda funny."

Her: "I feel that since you don't really wash any of the towels when you do laundry, I have no problem washing them. But I feel it's a shared responsibility, so I want you to put them away."

</scene>

Like if you want me to do more things around the house, tell me. Or put it on a checklist. Whatever.

I just hate the feeling that there's something I should be doing because up until I lived with another person I had habits and practices. I had my own timeline of what "needs to be clean" or "needs to be washed" around the house. That's completely upended and you have to learn something new.

It's so annoying that there's little things like this that I never gave piece of mind to that are suddenly important.