Lane kiffins career

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Lane kiffins career

Post by A_B »

Fired.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
brian
The Dude

Re: Lane kiffins career

Post by brian »

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

AB_skin_test wrote:Fired.
pulled off the team bus at the airport, and fired in the parking lot. And then then team bus left without him. That's really getting fired...
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

If you are not feeling just a little bit of schadenfreude here, we cannot be friends. What a great story.

Will he ever be a head coach again? Maybe end up at some CUSA or Sun Belt school?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My high school is struggle-ling with a second year coach who is in over his head.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Fired.
pulled off the team bus at the airport, and fired in the parking lot. And then then team bus left without him. That's really getting fired...
He wasn't pulled off the bus and his car was at the airport. The guy who tweeted that story also tweeted earlier that Kiffin wouldn't be fired last night.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yeah, I would assume he lives much closer to the airport, and in a different direction, than campus. (I'm also assuming faculty and staff have long since been priced out of Hancock Park.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Serious question, why is he so hated? I really don't follow college football at all, and he wasn't with the Raiders long enough to bother anyone.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Weatherfrog wrote:If you are not feeling just a little bit of schadenfreude here, we cannot be friends. What a great story.

Will he ever be a head coach again? Maybe end up at some CUSA or Sun Belt school?
Hope he likes snow...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:Serious question, why is he so hated? I really don't follow college football at all, and he wasn't with the Raiders long enough to bother anyone.
You know in golf, eh, when you're on the green and just about to putt? Kiffin is the guy that waits until you draw back the putter blade and then just happens to sneeze or cough or yell. He does a lot of underhanded things that, if you were so inclined to try, can be explained as simple accidents. Like semi-deflating footballs (last year against Oregon). Could have been accidental, right? Except Kiffin has dozens of "just accidental" incidents. And that doesn't count the blatant cheating (recruitment violation, for one example) or his gigantic mouth which he uses to trash talk other coaches. Safe to say that there is no (well, was as of this weekend) coach more disliked by his peers than Kiffin.

If you Bingle some terms like "lane kiffin cheating", "lane kiffin scandal" or even "lane kiffin rumors" you'll get a huge pile of stories about his usually unsavory escapades.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Kiffin had a backup QB change jerseys with a punter last year so that he could attempt a fake kick...in a game USC won by 44.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The Sybian wrote:Serious question, why is he so hated? I really don't follow college football at all, and he wasn't with the Raiders long enough to bother anyone.
He's a very dirty recruiter. I expect some more violations will come out in the next few years. He was one of the first to go after the PSU players when the free transfer rule came out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 25878.html
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

He had a head-to-head dispute with Al Davis. And made Davis sympathetic. Prosecution rests.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Weatherfrog wrote:If you are not feeling just a little bit of schadenfreude here, we cannot be friends. What a great story.

We already have Dennis Franchione, so we're good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The interview itself is kind of surreal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... s-mistakes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes...it's on ESPN for everyone to watch.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If anything it's gotten worse, right?
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

USC hires Kiffin's old buddy:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college- ... ball-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Keg wrote:USC hires Kiffin's old buddy:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college- ... ball-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for your service, Ed Orgeron. Now get the fuck outta here. (You should've beat UCLA if you wanted the job.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

If I was an USC fan, I would have preferred Coach O to Sark. I figure Haden wanted a CEO-type to lead the program rather than a Rob Ryan caricature.

Word on the street is UW is interested in Jim Mora (who is UW alumni). Haden would kill two birds with one stone if that were to happen.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I agree, Keg.
Keg wrote:Haden would kill two birds with one stone if that were to happen.
That would be truly masterful. But Westwood to Seattle seems like a downward move for Mora, despite his deep roots (high school in Seattle when his dad was Don James' assistant, and college at udub). Not just weather and hot chicks-wise.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back when Kiffin got fired, some media types were saying Jack Del Rio was a lock to get the USC job. Maybe the John Fox heart trouble and JDR's stint as interim Denver coach got in the way of that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Apparently UW has more money and nicer facilities than UCLA. Which wouldnt take much considering UCLA practices on an 80 yard field.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

‏@footballscoop
A guy at UCLA just called and said they are “relieved” SC didn’t hire James Franklin…said he would have changed the dynamic in LA
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had no idea they had not upgraded their facilities. Space is tight, but man. I guess expansion of the hospital is a big part of the blame.

As nice as Pauley is for watching hoops, they should've blown it up and built a high-rise athletic complex above a new arena. It was too small for a major athletic department when I nearly transferred there in the 70s.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No change in job status, just a great photo (the top one) and a humorous story.

ETA: much better article now, great photo at the bottom instead of the top...
Last edited by rass on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thanks
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sometimes that works out....

So a co-worker of mine told me this story a few months back. Basically he was at the Final Four in 1999 (Tropicana Field). He and his brother are leaving the semifinals and stuck in traffic. And over on the side of the road his brother says..."
Isn't that guy famous." So his brother screams out the window the rental car.."Hey Coach Williams" and waves. So Roy Williams walks over to his car, says hello and then explains that he was in charge of transportation for the coaches at the Final Four and the bus taking the coaches left without him. So he asks my co-worker to give him and his wife a ride to the hotel in Tampa. So they drive him to his hotel (They offered them the front seat..but he refused). Coach Williams asks after getting dropped off his they have tickets to the championship. They said they did have some nosebleed seats. He gave them his tickets (but made them promise they would not sell them). They sat next to Kevin Costner and some other actor at the final. So my co-worker writes a nice thank you note to Coach Williams. Coach Williams writes back and offers to have him down for any game any time. So they take him up. Coach Williams has them at practice, eats with the team, etc. Apparently now at least once or twice a year they go to a game (now UNC), have stayed at his house as guest, trade xmas cards, etc. And my co-worker has gotten him to ring the bell at the NYSE a few times.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice story, wlu.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote:

So a co-worker of mine told me this story a few months back. Basically he was at the Final Four in 1999 (Tropicana Field). He and his brother are leaving the semifinals and stuck in traffic. And over on the side of the road his brother says..."
Isn't that guy famous." So his brother screams out the window the rental car.."Hey Coach Williams" and waves. So Roy Williams walks over to his car, says hello and then explains that he was in charge of transportation for the coaches at the Final Four and the bus taking the coaches left without him. So he asks my co-worker to give him and his wife a ride to the hotel in Tampa. So they drive him to his hotel (They offered them the front seat..but he refused). Coach Williams asks after getting dropped off his they have tickets to the championship. They said they did have some nosebleed seats. He gave them his tickets (but made them promise they would not sell them). They sat next to Kevin Costner and some other actor at the final. So my co-worker writes a nice thank you note to Coach Williams. Coach Williams writes back and offers to have him down for any game any time. So they take him up. Coach Williams has them at practice, eats with the team, etc. Apparently now at least once or twice a year they go to a game (now UNC), have stayed at his house as guest, trade xmas cards, etc. And my co-worker has gotten him to ring the bell at the NYSE a few times.
That's awesome....
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

That's awesome....
I will be frank, when he told the story my first thought was jealousy. Then it was how can I piggy back on this for personal benefit.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Holy hell that's awesome.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »