What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:06 pm See you nice and early for a run tomorrow. Who’s in?

Yah mo be there
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:04 pm Tryhbbit to be mad Beth her one things I’m drinking husband and heat i their. A lot but I’m diner control spetinal.
Nailed it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I did not meet this Rass.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:04 pm Tryhbbit to be mad Beth her one things I’m drinking husband and heat i their. A lot but I’m diner control spetinal.
I thought I drank a lot tonight… I need to ramp it up!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That post was a throwback to bengal and the red wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Definitely had to run away from a headache this morning and I was a little slow even for early in the morning but between the exertion and the Gatorade I grabbed partway through it seemed to do the trick.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Hard Mt Dew takes like sweetened piss. Four Loki might be better not even joking.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 am Hard Mt Dew takes like sweetened piss. Four Loki might be better not even joking.
Probably better off just pouring a little vodka into some regular Mountain Dew.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:25 am
brian wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 am Hard Mt Dew takes like sweetened piss. Four Loki might be better not even joking.
Probably better off just pouring a little vodka into some regular Mountain Dew.
Used to drink that in high school. Was pretty disgusting even then but you make do with what you got when you’re 17
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

speaking of HS drinking..

did my fair share, so not trying to be a hypocrite.
the boy (16, junior in hs) had friends over tonight.
10 became 20 became 30
in basement
my storage work room.. became the quarters arena
they blacked out all the lights with red cups and markers
i heard the bottles and heard them thru the vents - asked the kid point black if alcohol was in the house.. he said no.
party ended when we heard one kid throwing up. went downstairs and said out.
threw everyone one out.
the boy gave his phone and earbuds to my wife knowing his life is over (if only for a bit)
my wife is talking to a handful of his close friends.. they told her they were glad for nico she was around cause i'm scary (nah, well yeah)
she did remind me i did my share.. but never at my house w my old man.. and i never did get caught (well, there was that one time)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

elflaco2 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:55 pm speaking of HS drinking..

did my fair share, so not trying to be a hypocrite.
the boy (16, junior in hs) had friends over tonight.
10 became 20 became 30
in basement
my storage work room.. became the quarters arena
they blacked out all the lights with red cups and markers
i heard the bottles and heard them thru the vents - asked the kid point black if alcohol was in the house.. he said no.
party ended when we heard one kid throwing up. went downstairs and said out.
threw everyone one out.
the boy gave his phone and earbuds to my wife knowing his life is over (if only for a bit)
my wife is talking to a handful of his close friends.. they told her they were glad for nico she was around cause i'm scary (nah, well yeah)
she did remind me i did my share.. but never at my house w my old man.. and i never did get caught (well, there was that one time)
Oof. That’s dicey with kids because of the DUI danger.

We had major problems last year with my then-18yo daughter. We let her stay at the house in the city when we moved to the cabin. She abused the hell out of that privilege until we finally had to install security cameras in the house and back yard.

Edit: And yes, when I was that age we drank a lot. All the time. Our parents all knew and were fine with it as long as no one drove drunk. Which we were pretty good about.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ya, I had a friend in my class that threw the parties, but the keys went to the parents and you had to bring a tent.

With the couches, extra room, and the Westphalia we can sleep 10 extra without tents.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Fortunately they're all juniors, none are 17.. so no one driving. All for picked up by their parents.

Got more of the story today.
Seems two kids invited by others brought the alcohol, corona and hard seltzer.. when my son found out they had it he was trying to kick them out.. which is when I walked in...iffy but ok.
Did tell him today ,better to use me to deal with it.. he agrees he didn't know what to do.
We got some.work still.
But he came clean fast last night, so glad he has been listening. Sometimes.
House is back in order. Kid is taking it easy. Next party will have me checking kids at door or spending time in the basement w them. I can probably take them in pool.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:05 pmSeems two kids invited by others brought the alcohol, corona and hard seltzer.. when my son found out they had it he was trying to kick them out.
I was one of the two names given in a nearly exact same story over two decades ago.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:05 pmSeems two kids invited by others brought the alcohol, corona and hard seltzer.. when my son found out they had it he was trying to kick them out.
Sounds like a complete bullshit story I gave my wrestling coaches after I got busted in high school.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

At some point I need to look into why the most popular (or prevalent) Costa Rican beers either look (Imperial) or sound (Bavaria or Pilsen) or look and sound (Imperial) like they’re German.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Without looking it up, in the 1800's there was decent amount of German immigration to Latin America (Argentina in particular) and they may have been instrumental in setting up breweries there. When I was in Argentina I remember Schneider? beer being a thing.

Or it could be as simple as much of the world associating Germany with beer and slapping German names on their own beer.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:38 pm Without looking it up, in the 1800's there was decent amount of German immigration to Latin America (Argentina in particular) and they may have been instrumental in setting up breweries there. When I was in Argentina I remember Schneider? beer being a thing.

Or it could be as simple as much of the world associating Germany with beer and slapping German names on their own beer.
Very good points. Also, I think a few Nazis snuck off to South and Central America after WWII.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A lot.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm thinking Freezer Door Manhattans are going to be a thing here soon.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting. But, imho...

1. That's a really rye-heavy mix. I like a greater ratio of sweet vermouth and bitters than he uses.
2. It's really pretty easy and fast to make a fresh Manhattan. I don't think this is much of a time-saver, anyway (unless it's for a party.)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:40 pm I don't think this is much of a time-saver, anyway (unless it's for a party.)
Or you're drinking a shite load of Manhattans (and I prefer your version as well, guess we're drinking Manhattans rather than stout next time.)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Made some glögg and it slayed.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I am back on my vinegar shrubs in January shit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Mimosa while taking down the Xmas junk.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Any one else doing "Dry January"? Am I out here on Sober Island by myself?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I/we am/are again this year.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm trying! Been slaying more than a few seltzers (the non-alcoholic ones) every evening, and hitting the vape a wee bit more...it's been a tough two days.

(My wife had to go into today and a buddy had a family emergency so I had 2 6-year-old girls and 2 8-year-old boys here today while I tried to work, I need a beer.)
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:49 pm Any one else doing "Dry January"? Am I out here on Sober Island by myself?
I believe there are a couple of us living on Sober Island these days. Once again, I cannot recommend Athletic Brewing enough.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Please pardon the blunt manner in which I ask, but what does one who does "dry January" or the like get out of it? Does it serve any greater purpose for you other than trimming a few pounds off and showing you can not drink for 31 days (the seeming relief of people when the month ends and they finally have a drink seems a little over the top)? Like, do you ever consider carrying this change over to reduced drinking longterm, since it's often done under the guise of improving your health?

Not trying to shame anyone, just trying to understand why.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 pmEver had a shrub? Made a batch of Watermelon/Mint shrub juice about a week ago. Took some water, mixed with sugar, vinegar and mint, and let it percolate in the fridge.
DiS or anyone else ever get into this? Its been the go-to Dry January night drink but wondering if there's any combos I'm really missing out on. Watermelon wouldn't work because its winter, but right now I have blueberry-basil, apple-cinnamon and blood orange in the fridge. (Not doing the 1:1:1 ratio because that's just way too much sugar, just do a 1:1 on the fruit and vinegar and add a little simple syrup.)
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

phxgators wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:48 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:49 pm Any one else doing "Dry January"? Am I out here on Sober Island by myself?
I believe there are a couple of us living on Sober Island these days. Once again, I cannot recommend Athletic Brewing enough.
I've kinda said to myself I'm doing it, but literally haven't told a soul, including my wife. I was still drinking after midnight on New Year's Eve and said to myself I wouldn't have one during the NFL games on Sunday, and then the game happened and I cracked open a beer at halftime. So January 1st doesn't really count because it's a holiday, right? Anyway, I haven't had one the rest of the week and as long as I can make it through this Sunday's game, it'll be easy for the rest of the month (and then maybe February 1st to make up for New Year's Day).
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(cut to Tyrod Talyor driving to punch Philly's ticket to Tampa)
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:19 pm (cut to Tyrod Talyor driving to punch Philly's ticket to Tampa)
Joke's on you. It's gonna be Davis Webb that does it to me. (Because the last time a Webb made his pro debut against the Eagles, it went swimmingly).
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:53 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 pmEver had a shrub? Made a batch of Watermelon/Mint shrub juice about a week ago. Took some water, mixed with sugar, vinegar and mint, and let it percolate in the fridge.
DiS or anyone else ever get into this? Its been the go-to Dry January night drink but wondering if there's any combos I'm really missing out on. Watermelon wouldn't work because its winter, but right now I have blueberry-basil, apple-cinnamon and blood orange in the fridge. (Not doing the 1:1:1 ratio because that's just way too much sugar, just do a 1:1 on the fruit and vinegar and add a little simple syrup.)
The GF picked up a couple of crowlers of Tepache, which is "naturally fermented beverage from Mexico that is made of piloncillo, spices & pineapple"...and its pretty good. Not too sweet, just enough fizz.

And yeah, I'm still on Dry-January. Not that I'm going to get HAMMERED-DRUNK on wednesday night or anything, but it will be nice to have a beer after work next friday.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If it’s happened twice, it’s officially an annual tradition. We again ended Dry January on the last weekend; last year was a big snowstorm and this year there was an Other Half + Trillium collab.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:20 pm If it’s happened twice, it’s officially an annual tradition. We again ended Dry January on the last weekend; last year was a big snowstorm and this year there was an Other Half + Trillium collab.
Funny. We met friends for a hamburger yesterday at a locally renowned pace (it’s been on the Guy Fieri show), that has a big beer selection. They had an Other Half hazy beer on tap so I tried it. Pretty good.

ETA: for those of you who don’t know, it’s a bit surprising we would have Other Half on draft at a California place. It’s from Brooklyn.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Had some very unexpected Friends stop by and it was great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:20 pm Had some very unexpected Friends stop by and it was great.
I hope it was Jennifer Anniston and Courtney Cox!!!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:06 am
A_B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:20 pm Had some very unexpected Friends stop by and it was great.
I hope it was Jennifer Anniston and Courtney Cox!!!
Yeah the capitalization made it more awesome than it was. But still some good people shared our loss in basketball.