What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by rass »

Really thought that was leading to a complaint about the scotch.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

no no the Scotch is honestly 10/10.

just sitting here on the floor me n the dog and my glass. honestly, it's not so bad after all.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:35 pm you guys ever miss the days of lower expectations about ... everything?

i swear up until maybe 2-3 years ago i was *never* a "things were better when...." person - even though i'm unabashedly nostalgic, it was totally antithetical to the logical side of me.

now man... i don't know. currently in a funk because all this technology isn't working but of course it's not really about the technology, it's about how complex and nonstop and fast everything is.

i think i'm in the wrong thread.

(although...this may be the Scotch having a very strong/quick effect...)
I feel like I've tried to make the conscious choice to try and not let myself get caught up in the insanity of everything, even with two kids approaching HS graduation. What's the Sam Jackson line in Pulp Fiction about trying real hard to be the shepherd?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah that's a good approach. it's the only approach i think even if it's impossible.

i was a history major (music minor. what i wouldn't do to reverse that now ha). my dad taught HS history. we were engrossed in current events growing up, wasn't even an option to not be. Now I find myself trying so hard to avoid the chaos - my mom started talking about the Middle East yesterday when I was over there and I had to tell her I can't talk about this stuff. It's just too upsetting.

wait, isn't this the drinking thread?

I recommend the Talisker Storm - I want to say it was maybe USD$60. A little peppery, touch of sweetness to it.
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 pm
I feel like I've tried to make the conscious choice to try and not let myself get caught up in the insanity of everything, even with two kids approaching HS graduation. What's the Sam Jackson line in Pulp Fiction about trying real hard to be the shepherd?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, I'll bring it back to the original intent of the thread. Had a Spanish orange wine with dinner. Might go crack the Ardbeg An Oa that I picked up a few weeks ago.
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:12 pm yeah that's a good approach. it's the only approach i think even if it's impossible.

i was a history major (music minor. what i wouldn't do to reverse that now ha). my dad taught HS history. we were engrossed in current events growing up, wasn't even an option to not be. Now I find myself trying so hard to avoid the chaos - my mom started talking about the Middle East yesterday when I was over there and I had to tell her I can't talk about this stuff. It's just too upsetting.

wait, isn't this the drinking thread?

I recommend the Talisker Storm - I want to say it was maybe USD$60. A little peppery, touch of sweetness to it.
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 pm
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Don't encourage him, chedda. :lol:
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Ardbeg ... now that's a name i haven't heard in a long long time...

tough one. "hints of rope and tar" is my favourite all time tasting note about a Scotch (about Ardbeg, that one); from some old book I owned. Not untrue.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've been drinking Crush City which tastes way different than it used to and I'm not a big fan any more, but thought it appropriate for tonight. And a Jarritos hard soda cause it's orange. Not sure if y'all have Jarritos where you are, but it's a fruit-flavored soda prevalent here at Mexican restaurants and taquerias.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nice, Max. Big fan of Talisker. Close to the bottom of bottle of 10.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The An Oa blend has something in it that makes it smoother than it smells. It's a strong nose though.
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 pm Ardbeg ... now that's a name i haven't heard in a long long time...

tough one. "hints of rope and tar" is my favourite all time tasting note about a Scotch (about Ardbeg, that one); from some old book I owned. Not untrue.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ok i drink pop/soda like once a month in my advancing age and usually only crave it with classic shit (i use the term respectfully) food like pizza or wings. a cold pepsi is really the only accompaniment.

But orange Jarritos? <chef's kiss> - the perfect compliment to any sort of mexicish food. My kids discovered it at Mucho Burrito in Vancouver now we seek it out.
Giff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:24 pm I've been drinking Crush City which tastes way different than it used to and I'm not a big fan any more, but thought it appropriate for tonight. And a Jarritos hard soda cause it's orange. Not sure if y'all have Jarritos where you are, but it's a fruit-flavored soda prevalent here at Mexican restaurants and taquerias.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:24 pm I've been drinking Crush City which tastes way different than it used to and I'm not a big fan any more, but thought it appropriate for tonight. And a Jarritos hard soda cause it's orange. Not sure if y'all have Jarritos where you are, but it's a fruit-flavored soda prevalent here at Mexican restaurants and taquerias.
We have Jarritos, but I haven't seen the hard soda, only soft. We do have hard Topo Chico here.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

oh wait i didn't notice the *hard soda* part of Jarritos - i didn't know that was a thing and I swear i haven't been getting my kids drunk for 10 years.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't recommend trying the alcoholic version. Yuck.

And now I'm repurposing the Crush City from MLB playoffs to my fantasy basketball draft.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:22 pm Ardbeg ... now that's a name i haven't heard in a long long time...

Also love Ardbeg, An Oa, IIRC, is a much smoother drink that the 10. Really loved their Corryckyveckin (not looking up the proper spelling. My favorite tasting note is Laphroaig, with “liquid bandaids”. Accurate, and I love it.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:50 pm

Also love Ardbeg, An Oa, IIRC, is a much smoother drink that the 10. Really loved their Corryckyveckin (not looking up the proper spelling. My favorite tasting note is Laphroaig, with “liquid bandaids”. Accurate, and I love it.
Oiler and I killed his Corryckveckin when I visited him on Labor Day weekend. Very tasty. And yeah, Laphroaig is the gold standard of peat.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:12 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:50 pm

Oiler and I killed his Corryckveckin when I visited him on Labor Day weekend. Very tasty. And yeah, Laphroaig is the gold standard of peat.
Lagavulin, but Laphroaig is second.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ooo i love both of these; Lagavulin is indeed a peaty smoky monster.
The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:48 pm Lagavulin, but Laphroaig is second.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When we were in Scotland a year and a half ago we did a single malt whisky tasting at a place in the Highlands called Blair Athol. Brought back a bottle and just got around to finishing it a couple nights ago (I’m not a big Scotch whisky guy). Always a bit sad to see a dead soldier of a tasty bottle.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:01 am... Blair Athol ...
Sounds like what Tootie would say if they were drunk and fighting ... or something like that ... ???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:) i know what you mean; feel the same way. For the longest time we kept some of the better empty bottles we've tapped, my wife made a cool battery operated lamp out of one by jamming some little tea lights into it.
sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:01 am When we were in Scotland a year and a half ago we did a single malt whisky tasting at a place in the Highlands called Blair Athol. Brought back a bottle and just got around to finishing it a couple nights ago (I’m not a big Scotch whisky guy). Always a bit sad to see a dead soldier of a tasty bottle.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:07 am …my wife made a cool battery operated lamp out of one by jamming some little tea lights into it.]
My wife makes kumquat liqueur (from our backyard bush) and also makes lemon-infused vodka and/or gin (for our consumption and for gifts). So, a few of the best-looking empty liquor bottles have gotten repurposed for that use.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah going to need to try some of that next time I'm out there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:44 am kumquat liqueur (from our backyard bush)
That sounds like something Tootie would say after doing cracky sack shots with George Burnett.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I hope this is accurate

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is there another basket for his legs?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Why is Sean Penn there?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Diy bottle aged Christian brothers. Still aight
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Tito’s and Sprite Zero w lemon. Lots of it. Need that to deal w my sister and her bunch.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Solid vodka soda. Drink your thing dawg.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I had some of that peanut butter whiskey (Skrewball) before dinner today. It's 70 proof, which is below the 80 proof that most whiskey / scotch snobs scoff at as being a legit form of the beverage. It's more of a liqueur than a liquor, IMO. It's tasty, but it's whiskey with training wheels. Little to no bite, and yeah, it tastes something like a sugary peanut butter. If your significant other isn't a fan of your whiskey, they'll probably like it, which might free you up to have a couple pours of your preferred beverage.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Least surprising thing ever, to learn that stuff isn’t good.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Lots of cranberry and Irish whisky today. Like a brighter whiskey sour. Happy holidays.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just found out another (numbers) guy I know does this so I'm going to ask if anyone else does ... do you ever track/pace yourself by running numbers in your head, multiplying ABV by ounces and keeping a cumulative total? Like if you drank a bottle of wine, that's ~25 ounces at 12% so you're at a 300. If you have three pints of 8% you're at 384, etc, etc. Anyone?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yes
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I usually look at those sort of facts in retrospect. Saying something like, “I think I drank too much.”

(Negronis tonight.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I made this for a party on Saturday night and it was a big hit ... but should have made half of what I did in the second batch to replenish the dispenser and now we have a ton left. so i've been slowly working my way through it since.

it's really good, but probably ultimately too sweet? I bet you could get away with half the simple syrup or light simple syrup instead of full-sugar
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:05 am I made this for a party on Saturday night and it was a big hit ... but should have made half of what I did in the second batch to replenish the dispenser and now we have a ton left. so i've been slowly working my way through it since.

it's really good, but probably ultimately too sweet? I bet you could get away with half the simple syrup or light simple syrup instead of full-sugar
You could reduce the OJ in half to reduce the sweetness and then add in some orange liqueur to bring back the citrus flavor.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think last Dry January's shrubs were when I finally decided any usage of simple syrup was going to start around 25% of the recipe then go from there if needed. I don't know if some sugars are more sugary or if I don't like stuff as sweet as normal people but I was going way over each time too.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I almost got the low-cal simple syrup after seeing the recipe because my immediate instinct was "this is a drink of liquid sugar with extra added liquid sugar."

but i also figured I should follow it exactly for the first time and if I was serving it to 30 people. it's worth making again for sure, but definitely also worth tweaking. I like the orange liqueur idea