What?? Are you drinking?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: What?? Are you drinking?

Post by phxgators »

AB - so much of what you wrote is so familiar. I tried slowing down, it didn't work. Finally had a wake up call and had to just quit. And it was hard! Even knowing how much better mentally and physically I feel. It still tries to draw me in sometimes. You never notice how much drinking there is in TV shows until you stop. There's always a glass of wine at dinner or whatever. And the guys are always having a whisky/bourbon/scotch.

There have been a couple of times I've almost fooled myself into thinking I could have just one drink and stop. But I know better. Keep up the good fight, man.

I have mentioned this a time or two before, but NA beer has gotten good! And is a damn mental life saver for me. I understand having something that tastes like real beer may open doors that not everyone wants to open. But places like Athletic Brewing are the real deal. They occasionally run buy one/share one deals or something like that, I'd be happy to do something like that if anyone wants to try it (just PM me). Not a paid advertisement, just a really fucking happy customer.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Ever give this a go?

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I haven't, but definitely would give it a shot.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

phxgators wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:28 am I haven't, but definitely would give it a shot.
Same. I've had a few NA beers and they are way better than I was expecting. Athletic is good. Heineken somehow tastes almost exactly like Heineken, which may or may not be a good thing for each of your palates. Brewdogs aren't my favorite but they are usually available. I had a really good amber lager but now I can't remember what brand that was. I think I may have one more in the fridge at home so I will check. Blue can, I know that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I get a ton of ads for Hop Tea, and I’m intrigued. If I saw it in a store, I’d buy it. Not sure why I haven’t ordered it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They have or had it at the Whole Foods in Vauxhall. It’s … liquid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Hop tea is great when you want beer but don't want beer...it's become my go to. Hop water is good as well...Hoplark makes that as well...Lagunitas also makes a good one.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Topo Chico and other non-flavored bubbly waters help my craving for alcohol.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've been going sparkling water + vinegar shrub.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've also used the Ritual NA spirits. They aren't the same, but they give you something to hold while others are imbibing. The rum has some spiciness that works pretty well in a rum and coke (zero!) and the gin is pretty handy for most things. Actually the best concoction is basically a gin screwdriver (which probably has a name).

But none of them are the real stuff.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 am I've also used the Ritual NA spirits. They aren't the same, but they give you something to hold while others are imbibing. The rum has some spiciness that works pretty well in a rum and coke (zero!) and the gin is pretty handy for most things. Actually the best concoction is basically a gin screwdriver (which probably has a name).

Gin and juice?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:33 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 am I've also used the Ritual NA spirits. They aren't the same, but they give you something to hold while others are imbibing. The rum has some spiciness that works pretty well in a rum and coke (zero!) and the gin is pretty handy for most things. Actually the best concoction is basically a gin screwdriver (which probably has a name).

Gin and juice?
Well, yeah, I suppose so!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I have a pretty good feeling I'm an alcoholic and I've rationalized it and how much I drink for way too long. This thread has pushed me over the hump to change that. I'm not stopping completely, but going to go back to not drinking during the week and cutting way back on weekends. I thought I was doing a good job limiting how much I drank each day, but when I say how much I limited myself to out loud, it's a lot. I did this last year about this time and I saw great results.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TWILTS...

Not for nothing, but one of the things I've discovered is that puzzles and complicated lego construction are a pretty good way to break out of my patterns.

Also, looking forward to doing a lot more reading this year.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I now feel guilty in advance about drinking when meeting any Swampers in the future.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 am I have a pretty good feeling I'm an alcoholic...
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:05 pm TWILTS...
Harsh follow up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're (mostly) good as long as its February 1st.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:38 pm I now feel guilty in advance about drinking when meeting any Swampers in the future.
Meeting new swampers might need to be a hall pass.

By which I mean, fuck Sabo!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:38 pm I now feel guilty in advance about drinking when meeting any Swampers in the future.
Not with me!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nor with me!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:54 pm
Not with me!
Hoping for November. We'll see.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This all sort of reminded me of when sc*ttie hit a wall with his Fluer de Cana fueled postings. I remember feelings bad for enjoying it prior to that, if I (or we, the swamp) to any degree contributed to his problems.

Good thing AB and Giff annoy the shit out of me and I’ve never enjoyed their presence here and certainly never encouraged it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, I'm officially off the DryNuary clock, as we're flying out to Denver tomorrow and we agreed not to be so hardcore about this stuff.

:-)

Definitely don't need to tread lightly around me, as others have stated... We're just being more self-aware of the general trend.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

This is something I've talked with my wife about several times actually. I've tried to make sure she knows that if she has a drink or two, it's fine with me. But she has cut her drinking back (which was nowhere near what I drank) too, since I stopped. In some ways I appreciate it (for instance, I still haven't found a decent substitute for red wine), but I feel guilty about her not feeling like she can enjoy herself.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

phxgators wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 pm
This is something I've talked with my wife about several times actually. I've tried to make sure she knows that if she has a drink or two, it's fine with me. But she has cut her drinking back (which was nowhere near what I drank) too, since I stopped. In some ways I appreciate it (for instance, I still haven't found a decent substitute for red wine), but I feel guilty about her not feeling like she can enjoy herself.
My GF still has a glass of wine (or 2) with dinner during the week. It's not a big deal.

When I do drink on Friday/Saturday nights, it's usually a beer or 2 as I make dinner, and then splitting a bottle of wine with dinner. Almost never anything after dinner.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 pm So, I'm officially off the DryNuary clock, as we're flying out to Denver tomorrow and we agreed not to be so hardcore about this stuff.
Visit the Bagel Deli off Hampden or Rye Society in RiNo to get some great sandwiches to line the stomach.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This thread is having the opposite effect on me. Partially reading about people's drinking habits has me craving drinks, and I've had at least a drink every night this week. Partially hearing how much you guys drink makes me feel less concerned about my own habits. I almost never miss a Friday or Saturday night, usually have a drink on Thursday, but rarely the rest of the week. Typically just one or two beers, occasionally a glass of whiskey. But my one or two beers are usually between 8-12%, usually 16oz or 750 ml. Since my wife doesn't drink at all and I've barely left the house for 2 years, I'm almost exclusively drinking by myself.

I used to be like those of you who said you can't stop at one. I'd always say I was going to have one drink, then it'd seem a shame not to get a buzz when I was halfway there. Then I'd have a couple more, and usually watch an extra show to enjoy the buzz, seems a shame to sleep and miss out on the joy. In college and the following 5 years, drinking was definitely my way of self-medicating depression. I only felt happy when I was drunk. Or when in a deeper depression, getting really drunk was the only way to numb the pain.

When my wife was pregnant with our first, I was diagnosed with having a fatty liver. Doctor told me it was from drinking, and I was at the point where it might be reversible but if I continued, there would be permanent damage. He told me I didn't have to completely quit, but limited me to one drink a week until my liver enzymes normalized. If he told me to outright quit, I don't know if I would have, but expecting a kid, maybe I would. The thought of limiting seemed feasible, and once I got used to it, that's all I really wanted. I can count on my fingers the number of times I've been drunk in the last 15 years, and I don't miss or need that at all. I know everyone is different when it comes to this, but it is possible for some people to drastically cut back without fully quitting, for those who may feel overwhelmed or afraid to try quitting. I do understand that for many, it's not possible, and one drink can open the gate, so I'm not endorsing my approach for everyone.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Dunno if it's the weed or the pot
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I have guilt!

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wasn't going to bars anyway, so I feel no guilt. If my beer store closes, yes, I will feel pain.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 pm I wasn't going to bars anyway, so I feel no guilt. If my beer store closes, yes, I will feel pain.
Yeah, I’m doing a Wetuary, and bars haven’t gotten any of my money yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm sure the booze companies and some bars see a dip in January, but, frankly, I don't really buy that it's putting anyone out of business. Way too many people say they are going to do it and give up on it MLK three-day weekend and just say fuck it.

Same thing happens every year with fitness gyms but in the opposite. Sign up for a new membership (or renew) and a month or two in, you're canceling that shit. These companies know the cyles and plan for it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:13 pm I'm sure the booze companies and some bars see a dip in January, but, frankly, I don't really buy that it's putting anyone out of business. Way too many people say they are going to do it and give up on it MLK three-day weekend and just say fuck it.

Same thing happens every year with fitness gyms but in the opposite. Sign up for a new membership (or renew) and a month or two in, you're canceling that shit. These companies know the cyles and plan for it.
I'd say it's fair to guess that the gyms aren't getting their normal level of January bump this year. I'm not going to spend any time in a Covidatorium.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:42 pm I wasn't going to bars anyway, so I feel no guilt. If my beer store closes, yes, I will feel pain.
Yeah, I’m doing a Wetuary, and bars haven’t gotten any of my money yet.
"Wetuary!"

Looking forward to Febrewary.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gotta say, after a (pretty much) full month of no drinking during the week (except on THs when we fucking felt like it, dammit!)...

This is going really really well for us. Both of us are just kicking butt at work and getting lots more done around the house... We are also getting along really really well... We typically have a great marriage, but there have been times over the last few years where raw nerves (being hungover) has certainly contributed to some dust ups.

I also pulled out the Xbox 360 and Xbox One this week... Only got the One working, but if I can get the 360 up and running... That's gonna make this a lot more fun. We both still get pretty antsy around 5p when we start cooking. And then when we have dinner. And then when we settle in to watch our Stories. :D

But, yeah... It's not THAT difficult... And the upside is very noticeable and very much worth it.

/unsolicited update
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I think this is the "post"-pandemic reset we needed over here too. Lots of bad habits it was easy to fall into and justify.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Picked up some Other Half IPAs today. But the real haul was two stouts from Anchorage Brewing.

Jaguar God and Open Up More. Can’t wait to give them a try. 15.5% a piece so will savor/sip one at a time.

Btw, was able to score some Double Nugget Nectar. Very tasty. This is the 2nd year they’ve done and first time distributed outside the brewery.
oh shit...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

teeteebee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm Picked up some Other Half IPAs today. But the real haul was two stouts from Anchorage Brewing.

Jaguar God and Open Up More. Can’t wait to give them a try. 15.5% a piece so will savor/sip one at a time.

Btw, was able to score some Double Nugget Nectar. Very tasty. This is the 2nd year they’ve done and first time distributed outside the brewery.
I just picked up some Other Half two minutes ago! West Coast IPA, Green Flowers or something. Saw Nugget Nectar is out. Seems earlier every year.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sour DIPA from Hermit Thrush.

Really underrated VT brewery.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

teeteebee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm the real haul was two stouts from Anchorage Brewing.
When did they get big in the stout game? I remember they had some beer that had some good reviews 6-7 years ago, but I see a ton of their stouts getting really well-reviewed.