Comics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Comics

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:22 am
I think the Conservative mind has a problem believing scientists can be motivated by seeking truth rather than money, so they assume the majority of scientists are swayed to fake findings to prove whatever point financially profits them.
[/quote]

I think that's part of their ethos.

To repeat a cliche, these are people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

It is shocking that in many cases, they pretend to have the moral high ground as "Christians"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Scott Adams is usually not political in his cartoons (But we know he is not shy on his views). Bled over this morning
https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-07-21?ut ... ip+-+UU%29
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 am So Scott Adams is usually not political in his cartoons (But we know he is not shy on his views). Bled over this morning
There's more and someone does a podcast about each of his comics, apparently.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:31 am So Scott Adams is usually not political in his cartoons (But we know he is not shy on his views). Bled over this morning
Oh man, don't read the comments...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:33 am
That statement goes for anything published by comics.com. There are lots of non-funny people. See page 2 of this thread last time commenting on comments came up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 am
That statement goes for anything published by comics.com. There are lots of non-funny people. See page 2 of this thread last time commenting on comments came up.
Started down a rabbit hole on Twitter with Trans people sharing some of their experiences with assholes who refuse to use their preferred pronouns. Infuriating and sad, I just don't know why anyone would care or feel the need to lash out.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:49 am
Started down a rabbit hole on Twitter with Trans people sharing some of their experiences with assholes who refuse to use their preferred pronouns. Infuriating and sad, I just don't know why anyone would care or feel the need to lash out.
Ignorance begets fear begets hate.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jesus, can we get him on a watch list? If he has another son, that kid better sleep with one eye open.

ETA: Click on the link to see the first post. Fucking nutter.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

CLUTCHING HIS PILLOW TIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHT
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Just saying - his son died 4 years ago or so (just looked it up).

Doesn't that correspond to when he really went off the deep end?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:10 pm Just saying - his son died 4 years ago or so (just looked it up).

Doesn't that correspond to when he really went off the deep end?
He’s been looney since 2015-16..
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:04 am
Has gone all in on ESG the last few days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:17 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:04 am
Has gone all in on ESG the last few days.
"ignites" wrote:The creator of the Dilbert comic strip claims that newspapers are refusing to publish a series of his strips that poke fun at environmental, social and governance practices in the workplace – and the financial firms that push for them.

“Just learned some of the bigger newspaper groups (that own multiple papers) are censoring Dilbert this week over the ESG comics,” tweeted Scott Adams, who writes and illustrates the cartoon. “I’ll publish those comics on social media when the series is complete.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m going to pre-apologize, because I can’t quite come up with the exact word I’m looking for.

You almost have to give credit, or admit that at least they’re consistent in their shitty views. Because they can sit there before they hit “Post”, and rationalize in their heads that a post like this is going to cost them future earnings, and then go through with it anyway.

Like another example is that bakery that didn’t want to bake a wedding cake for the gay couple. They could’ve stayed quiet and held their nose and just made the damn cake. But instead, they spoke out, having to know that they are going to turn off potential customers, and raised a stink. It’s something. I don’t know if it’s admirable, that’s probably not the word I’m looking for, but it’s something noteworthy.

It’s like when Arizona lost the Super Bowl about 30 years ago because they didn’t want to make MLK Day a holiday, and Charles Barkley, who recently became a Sun, replied that you’d really have to be racist to not wait a day off from work.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think I read somewhere that that bakery picked up a lot of new business from homophobes and other right-wingers.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Adams walked the fine line for years. I wonder if he just effed up and went too far or decided it was time to give up on the day job and go full RW grifter.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Given that every accusation from the right is a self tell, I feel extremely confident “Soros is paying everyone” means Adams will be taken care of as he pivots even more towards bigotry.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Given the extreme decline in the newspaper industry over the past couple of decades, I wonder if he doesn't really make much money from syndication anymore and felt it was worth it to torch that. Surely he knew he'd lose newspapers over that.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Scott Adams wrote:"By Monday, I should be mostly canceled. So most of my income will be gone by next week," he said. "My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can't come back from this."
He comes across as an unmoored douche who suffers from a malignant personality. It served him well when it was channeled as Dilbert, but he was always a prick. You just didn't hear too much about it.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

20+ years ago, I worked with a guy who socialized with Adams and was (apparently) a good friend. I’ve lost touch with him, but I have to wonder what he would say about Adams, now. Because my co-worker was an open-minded, smart, liberal guy, and is married to a woman of color (Indian-American).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm sure Adams will get a prime speaking time at the upcoming CPAC meeting.

And I would say he'll probably be featured on multiple FoxNews shows this week, but he's already a regular there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.