Commercials

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Commercials

Post by rass »

Holy shit can we finally mothball the sexy shirt guy Cadillac commercial after tonight?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Discover Card one where the identical twin sisters don't realize they're talking to each other until one of them says "awesomesauce" even though a) the Discover employee sister references the other's account and b) THEY'RE IDENTICAL ****ING SISTERS is my wife's favorite commercial cause my rage at its utter stupidity makes her laugh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They have several versions of that where the person is talking to themself on the other line, no?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:They have several versions of that where the person is talking to themself on the other line, no?
No. The other ones they are talking to someone very similar to themselves in both look and mannerisms. I think the one Giff referenced is the only one where they are identical.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:They have several versions of that where the person is talking to themself on the other line, no?
No. The other ones they are talking to someone very similar to themselves in both look and mannerisms. I think the one Giff referenced is the only one where they are identical.

I would like to bet you a swamp buck that it's the same actor playing both characters in those other versions, but also will concede that I am not familiar with the identical twin one. Although, it seems pretty plausible that a single actor could play identical twins on opposite sides of a phone line.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:
rass wrote:

I would like to bet you a swamp buck that it's the same actor playing both characters in those other versions, but also will concede that I am not familiar with the identical twin one. Although, it seems pretty plausible that a single actor could play identical twins on opposite sides of a phone line.
Keep your Swamp bucks. You'll need them for your trip down to Glendale to hang out with DSG.

On the twin one I don't know if it's one actor(ess) or not. The others are definitely different people.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Why am i going to Glendale?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

See, you're not. You just have a habit of making a certain type of response in those types of threads, and I was playing (too far, I guess) off that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:See, you're not. You just have a habit of making a certain type of response in those types of threads, and I was playing (too far, I guess) off that.

That's NYC swamp meetups only, Rass!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Awww. Thanks man!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I get a kick out of the Dollar Shave Club commercials.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

the this is sportscenter ad with stephen curry:

That black kitchen worker is Baron Davis, right?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

howard wrote:the this is sportscenter ad with stephen curry:

That black kitchen worker is Baron Davis, right?
Not sure if it's Davis, but it is definitely the best Sportscenter ad in a long time.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not Davis, unless he got really skinny really fast.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Maybe Andre Kirilenko can give a positive ID.

Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I got the jingle below stuck in my head for a little while yesterday. I managed to lose it, but then bapo!'s fantastic thread and the references to old commercials brought it back. It must have been decades since I've actually heard this song, but the melody and tagline were still floating around.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It's a stupid dummy idiot commercial, but the voice the guy with the Popsicle uses when he yells "hey camel ... guess what daaay it is" kills me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Well, I just had one of my favorite delusions proven wrong. I thought that the German actor in the H&R Block commercials was schlock-film director Uwe Boll. Turns out it's an actor named Jim Meskimen.

A friend and I were watching the Golden Globes a few weeks ago and were actually talking about Boll. Then I looked up and saw this commercial. Seemed a little too good to be true, but I thought for sure that was him. Should have never researched it and lived with the fantasy. Oh, well. Still a funny commercial.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's a commercial for Plated which is a service that ships you ingredients to cook yourself. It's a fine idea and the commercial is no more or less dumb than any other (and the wife is really attractive) but then, at the end when they're eating what they made, he gives her a bite off his plate. Infuriates me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

bfj wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvp2bsFUQMc. Valu City Furniture
I watched that the first time without the sound and thought the premise was that they liked the new couch so much they were having spontaneous orgasms.

e: Seriously, try it without the sound.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That was outstanding. That dog is the best.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

That is one dog who clearly believes that "You don't win friends with sal-ad! You don't win friends with sal-ad!"
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If you ignore that this is one giant, mega-corporation clowning (ha!) on another, this is a pretty awesome commercial.

Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It is mind-boggling to me how much money was spent on a three-minute commercial that has minimal opportunities to air on television, simply because it is there minutes long and it would be hard to keep it coherent if edited for time. Aside from those during Adult Swim (I figure the only way I won't see that commercial there is I just am not watching the correct program), there are few commercial breaks long enough.

I know it'll be on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and many other online media forms, but still.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:It is mind-boggling to me how much money was spent on a three-minute commercial that has minimal opportunities to air on television, simply because it is there minutes long and it would be hard to keep it coherent if edited for time. Aside from those during Adult Swim (I figure the only way I won't see that commercial there is I just am not watching the correct program), there are few commercial breaks long enough.

I know it'll be on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and many other online media forms, but still.
I'm guessing Taco Bell thinks a viral online video is more likely to be watched by their demo than a TV commercial. And while it may have been expensive to make, it doesn't cost them a cent to post it on YouTube (I don't think).
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I usually hate Geico commercials, but the free range chicken one makes me laugh every time.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:It is mind-boggling to me how much money was spent on a three-minute commercial that has minimal opportunities to air on television, simply because it is there minutes long and it would be hard to keep it coherent if edited for time. Aside from those during Adult Swim (I figure the only way I won't see that commercial there is I just am not watching the correct program), there are few commercial breaks long enough.

I'm guessing Taco Bell thinks a viral online video is more likely to be watched by their demo than a TV commercial. And while it may have been expensive to make, it doesn't cost them a cent to post it on YouTube (I don't think).
You're probably right regarding their target audience.

And, they ran a 60-second version last night during the Bieber Roast. So, I'm just gonna show myself out in order to go fuck myself without disturbing the rest of you.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's great. Radical, even. Mom must like the purple stuff.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What the fuck is the new Wendy's salad commercial. She says "Do I believe they make these fresh every day? I do." That means nothing. Is it a way of implying they do when they really don't?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Do y'all get the Shiner Beer commercials?

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am a terrible beer snob, but I would buy that beer based on the ads.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:I am a terrible beer snob, but I would buy that beer based on the ads.
Never had Shiner Bock? (Actually given you're in Canada, maybe not entirely surprising, but it's available nationwide in the U.S.).

It's one of my favorite "default" beers. Totally happy to drink a Shiner at places that don't have that great a beer selection. It's $6 for a 24-ouncer at my favorite live music venue in Vegas. That's a steal for Vegas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:I am a terrible beer snob, but I would buy that beer based on the ads.
Never had Shiner Bock? (Actually given you're in Canada, maybe not entirely surprising, but it's available nationwide in the U.S.).

It's one of my favorite "default" beers. Totally happy to drink a Shiner at places that don't have that great a beer selection. It's $6 for a 24-ouncer at my favorite live music venue in Vegas. That's a steal for Vegas.
That's a steal at any music venue. Except however much the shot and beers were at wherever we saw Blitzen Trapper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not a Shiner Bock fan, but the Ruby Redbird is a fantastic summer beer. Cheer isn't bad either.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

cool ad
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

But doesn't he still play in the MLS?
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote:But doesn't he still play in the MLS?
Retired after last season.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.