doing the charleston - sc, that is

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

cerrano
The Big Lebowski

doing the charleston - sc, that is

Post by cerrano »

going down from dec. 21-24th and staying at the restoration on king. already have a dinner reservation at husk and one at hall's chophouse.

any reco's for food or things to do? nyt travel section just had a "36 hours" feature on charleston this week as luck would have it, but any swamp insight would be appreciated.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: doing the charleston - sc, that is

Post by govmentchedda »

Never been. Looking forward to your report. Charleston is on my list.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Great city.

We stayed on Kiawah Island but had a great dinner at Jim and Nick's on King street in Charleston.

Buddy of mine owns the Terrace theatre in the city - great place to watch movies and drink.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great town. There are very few American cities that have actual character - Charleston is one of them. I can't remember the name of the restaurants I've eaten at there, but there are a lot of good ones there. It's just a fun place to walk around and check out cool little shops and art galleries, and whatnot.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The griffon has or at least ha the cheapest beer in town. Its tucked away and is basically a dive but iy eas a good place to escape the heat when we went. Henrys bar is next to the slave market and is pretty nice. We popped over yo poes but i wouldnt say its a must.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:Great town. There are very few American cities that have actual character - Charleston is one of them. I can't remember the name of the restaurants I've eaten at there, but there are a lot of good ones there. It's just a fun place to walk around and check out cool little shops and art galleries, and whatnot.
I spent one day/night there, and Rerun summed up my opinion of the place better than I could have.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bump
Heading down to speak at a conference. Will have one night and no car (staying on Church Street). Any recommendations on what not to miss.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Plenty to do around there. Hyman's seafood is my go too. Really like it a lot. The she crab soup is great. Granted you probably get strong seafood where you live, though. I don't get it as much so when I get close to the coast I search it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hood Law Firm
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote:Hood Law Firm
So I should leave a message on the door with wlu_lax6 was here, find a sportsfrog sticker, or "where's the front page and why does it not have scores"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Coffee: Kudu

Bar: Closed for Business

Dinner: We did FIG, which was great, but everything I've heard says its 1B to Husk's 1A, if you can get into either.

Its an awesome city, one of those places where you want to go back immediately rather than "ok, cool, that one is off the list".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

mister d wrote:Coffee: Kudu

Bar: Closed for Business

Dinner: We did FIG, which was great, but everything I've heard says its 1B to Husk's 1A, if you can get into either.

Its an awesome city, one of those places where you want to go back immediately rather than "ok, cool, that one is off the list".
the meal at husk was not as good as advertised, but it was still pretty fucking good. way too salty. a friend of mine down there last summer said the same thing. we really liked poogans porch which was a couple of doors down.

bar: the gin joint on east bay street gets my vote. great selection of bourbons including pappy and phenomenal cocktails.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doubt anyone would ever make it to North Charleston when in town (if not for family there I wouldn't) but a friend of a friend owns this place.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Co-worker just got back and loved it. I'll ask her for the names of the places she ate.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.