Yeah, Acrobat.

File-Properties-Initial View-Magnification
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: Tech Support

Post by DC47 »

I've currently got a modem connected to a router, from which run three cables (for two laptops and a PC, all running Windows 7 or 8). The modem and router are 15 years old.

Internet access is via Comcast, and runs at 28-30 MBPS download speed most of the time. Sometimes when two users are online and video is being downloaded the speed lowers to 9-12 MBPS. I can boost it back to max speed by unplugging the modem and router for 30 seconds.

I want to add wifi so the laptop users have more range than cords can conveniently provide, but keep the ability to connect the PC to a router via cable. Ideally I'd like to be able to turn off the wifi at times and just run the cable connection. Also ideally, I'd like to eliminate or lessen the download speed degradation phenomena above.

What should I buy to make this happen?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Any Wifi router you buy will have at least 3 ports (usually 4) for your connected devices. It should be very easy to swap out one for the other. You don't need to turn off the wifi to use the wired connections.

I will warn you though - you will NOT get 15 years out of a wireless router. I just bought yet another a week or two ago to replace one that had gotten finicky. I think I buy a new one nearly every year because they inevitably start failing and need constant rebooting. Fortunately, the failures are almost always only for the wireless connections. The wired stuff is pretty stable.

You may want to consider a newer and faster cable modem as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Shirley wrote:Any Wifi router you buy will have at least 3 ports (usually 4) for your connected devices. It should be very easy to swap out one for the other. You don't need to turn off the wifi to use the wired connections.
Can I turn off the WiFi while using the corded connections?
I will warn you though - you will NOT get 15 years out of a wireless router. I just bought yet another a week or two ago to replace one that had gotten finicky. I think I buy a new one nearly every year because they inevitably start failing and need constant rebooting. Fortunately, the failures are almost always only for the wireless connections. The wired stuff is pretty stable.
I was surprised it lasted 15 years. But also surprised that new gear is so unreliable. Any advice on brands to avoid or to prefer, given that I'd pay a premium for reliability?
Would this be necessary in order to install a new router, like the type above?

Would it provide faster speeds than the 30 Mbps I'm now getting? Or offer the ability to keep that rate even when multiple users are on the internet?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DC47 wrote: Can I turn off the WiFi while using the corded connections?
Yes, but I'm not sure why you would. It seems an unnecessary hassle.
DC47 wrote:I was surprised it lasted 15 years. But also surprised that new gear is so unreliable. Any advice on brands to avoid or to prefer, given that I'd pay a premium for reliability?
I've had a lot of different brands and never had one that I thought lasted an appropriate amount of time. I think I've had Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, ASUS, and TrendNet. None have lasted.
DC47 wrote:

Would it provide faster speeds than the 30 Mbps I'm now getting? Or offer the ability to keep that rate even when multiple users are on the internet?
I'm not sure it would be faster. Newer modems would certainly be faster and handle multiple users better, but your actual bandwidth will also depend on what service you are paying for. Also, newer cable modems seem to have more controls that allow your provider to tweak your service - and that's not always a good thing.

On second thought, just replace your router. If things are still slow, then you might consider a new modem. Did you buy your own or did it come from the cable company?
Totally Kafkaesque
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Shirley wrote:
DC47 wrote:Can I turn off the WiFi while using the corded connections?
Yes, but I'm not sure why you would. It seems an unnecessary hassle.
To reduce interference with other devices.
DC47 wrote:

I'm not sure it would be faster. Newer modems would certainly be faster and handle multiple users better, but your actual bandwidth will also depend on what service you are paying for. Also, newer cable modems seem to have more controls that allow your provider to tweak your service - and that's not always a good thing.

On second thought, just replace your router. If things are still slow, then you might consider a new modem. Did you buy your own or did it come from the cable company?
I bought my own modem. It's a Motorola SurfBoard SB 5100.

Further information: the router needs to be able to send a reasonably fast signal to laptops that are 60 feet way, and through 3 or 4 walls.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DC47 wrote:
Further information: the router needs to be able to send a reasonably fast signal to laptops that are 60 feet way, and through 3 or 4 walls.
You're not going to have any issues with a newer modem. I get wifi outside my house with my router.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

i use chrome on my mac, and in gmail, when i went to attach a file, my finder window came up.

you might notice in the pic that both the minimize buttons at the top, and the cancel/open buttons at the bottom of the finder window are concealed. the problem is that when i realized i had to send the file in pdf form, i couldn't click cancel, nor could i change the dimensions of the finder window vertically. in order to get out of the finder window, the only thing i could do was either force-quit chrome or double click on a file. i did the latter, hid the bookmarks bar, and went back to attaching a file, and was able to click on a sliver of the cancel button at the bottom of the window, but still not able to change the dimensions vertically or click on the minimize button of the finder window. this is only happening in chrome, but it is happening after restarting chrome and restarting my computer. i'm sure the solution is fairly obvious and i'm just overlooking it, but how do i stop that shit from happening? i'm not sure what the settings would be. moving my dock to the right of the screen didn't even allow me access to the bottom of the finder window.

fuck you steve, sergey, and larry.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

My PC just died. Was in the middle of playing a game, got a series of weird striations on the screen and then just going to black. If I try to re-boot normally, I get a blue screen of death that flashes for just a second, but was able to catch "attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed." Booting in Safe Mode works, though with the same odd marks on the screen I saw before.

Is this my video card getting fired? Hoping it's not something more serious than that. If anyone might be able to help, let me know if I can provide any more info.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My program's Board of Directors wants us be all technologically innovative, so they're encouraging us to buy a 3D Printer. Does anyone know anything about 3D Printers? I know someday they will make us food, weapons, clothing, airplanes, and houses, but for now it looks like they just make game pieces and bottle openers. The idea is we'd build some type of curriculum for Kindergartners through 5th grade (probably more for the older kids), so teachers (or probably me) would have to be trained and we still have to buy one too.

This place is down the street from me. I guess that will be the starting point for me, and I'm looking into this:
3D Printers are one of the most powerful tools to hit the consumer market, allowing users to expand their ability to create new products.
One of the best ways to learn about 3D printing is to build one yourself!
In this class, we will:
- Assemble your own RepRap 3DPrintMi
- Learn how to control, calibrate and maintain your 3D printer
- Learn the software to interact with your 3D printer
- Take it home with you and start printing!

Take home your own assembled 3D printer!

Cost: $900
Any advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, and my boss wants us to act quickly on this because that's what you're supposed to do when you jump into something no one knows about.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Buy the cheapest one you can and then print better ones

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So as of, yesterday I guess, I can't stay logged into the Swamp in Chrome. I log in, and it either logs me out as soon as it takes me to the board index, or gets to the board index and then logs me out when I click on the forum. Happens here at work, and on PC at home, both using the same account in Chrome. Works fine in IE here at work and at home, and is fine in Chrome on the iPad. Tried clearing and deleting anything that made sense in Chrome. Anyone have any suggestions to try?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I appear to have malware on my iPhone 5. When I try go access sportsfrog.net on the phone/safari, I'm instead redirected to Facebook.com. Seriously! Any suggestions on how to clear the malware from an iphone5?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote:I appear to have malware on my iPhone 5. When I try go access sportsfrog.net on the phone/safari, I'm instead redirected to Facebook.com. Seriously! Any suggestions on how to clear the malware from an iphone5?
Factory reset then restore?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:I appear to have malware on my iPhone 5. When I try go access sportsfrog.net on the phone/safari, I'm instead redirected to Facebook.com. Seriously! Any suggestions on how to clear the malware from an iphone5?
Factory reset then restore?
Then hope the malware wasn't backed up in iTunes, iCloud, or whatever program you use for backup.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:So as of, yesterday I guess, I can't stay logged into the Swamp in Chrome. I log in, and it either logs me out as soon as it takes me to the board index, or gets to the board index and then logs me out when I click on the forum. Happens here at work, and on PC at home, both using the same account in Chrome. Works fine in IE here at work and at home, and is fine in Chrome on the iPad. Tried clearing and deleting anything that made sense in Chrome. Anyone have any suggestions to try?
That sounds like a cookie issue. Go to Settings-Privacy->Content Settings->All Cookies and Site Data and search for sportsfrog cookies. Delete them all and try again.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Does that happen everywhere, or only when you're at home or work?
Totally Kafkaesque
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

That reminds me of a problem I'm having with my home desktop. A few sites I visit (including some legitimate ones) change to a site that says my flashplayer needs to be updated, and sometimes the installer gets automatically downloaded (which I then trash).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote:That reminds me of a problem I'm having with my home desktop. A few sites I visit (including some legitimate ones) change to a site that says my flashplayer needs to be updated, and sometimes the installer gets automatically downloaded (which I then trash).
I get that all the time when streaming sports. If you look at the URL for the Adobe looking popup, it isn't Adobe. The installers automatically start to load, just make sure you don't click on anything in your downloads list, as it is malware.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:
Does that happen everywhere, or only when you're at home or work?
I've only tried at home. Doesn't happen on my iPad, or laptop or wife's iPhone. Just my iphone.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote:
rass wrote:So as of, yesterday I guess, I can't stay logged into the Swamp in Chrome. I log in, and it either logs me out as soon as it takes me to the board index, or gets to the board index and then logs me out when I click on the forum. Happens here at work, and on PC at home, both using the same account in Chrome. Works fine in IE here at work and at home, and is fine in Chrome on the iPad. Tried clearing and deleting anything that made sense in Chrome. Anyone have any suggestions to try?
That sounds like a cookie issue. Go to Settings-Privacy->Content Settings->All Cookies and Site Data and search for sportsfrog cookies. Delete them all and try again.
Thanks for the follow up Shirl (just back at work today). I had tried clearing cookies in general, but not specifically for the site. And...didn't work.

Checking off the auto login option for the Swamp does seem to work. I generally hadn't done that because I liked hiding my online status, but just checked and there is a user option for that anyway. I guess I'm good (enough). Thanks again!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone here good with Mac's/iPhones/Itunes?

Here's my issue: I was having problems with my Iphone...I was trying to load music on it, and when I looked at the iPhone via iTunes it would say that, for example, New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" was on my iPhone. But then I look at the iPhone itself, the song isn't there.

So I did a backup/restore of my phone, and started loaded music on it again. And that worked...for a while. But then it hit something and just said "Updating iPhone", for a really long time (~45 minutes). It was stuck, so I cancelled out of that. And now I try to put music on my phone, and the iTunes just says "cancelling update", and nothing shows up on the phone.

What the fuck? Short of doing the "backup/restore" thing again, anyone have any ideas?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had that issue. Or similar up until you canceled it. Turns out I had duplicate songs somehow and it would stick after trying to copy a dupe. It would act like it was finishing but they wouldn't show up. I went through my entire library and deleted a flit of dupes. I think it was related to early iTunes purchases or something. So you might look and see how many duplicate files you have.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Who's got the info on the ease of setting up a raspberry pi with plex and/or kodi/xbmc with all the bells and whistles?

Apparently it's the hotness that barely anyone (mainstream) knows about that creates the best, free streaming media center ever.

I've heard of raspberry pi before, but the other stuff is new to me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote:Who's got the info on the ease of setting up a raspberry pi with plex and/or kodi/xbmc with all the bells and whistles?

Apparently it's the hotness that barely anyone (mainstream) knows about that creates the best, free streaming media center ever.

Lifehacker has all of the how tos on going down this path. Here is one article
http://lifehacker.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc ... 1394239600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnnie wrote:I've heard of raspberry pi before, but the other stuff is new to me.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You've heard of raspberry pi WITHOUT hearing about plex and/or kodi/xmbc?!?

I call major fucking BULLLLLLSHIT.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:Who's got the info on the ease of setting up a raspberry pi with plex and/or kodi/xbmc with all the bells and whistles?

Wlu has the right link. I do recommend getting a big ass card though, makes loading things waaaay faster.

Pi works pretty well as emulator as well. Had fun a few months ago loading up all the old Nintendo games.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I've heard of raspberry pi before, but the other stuff is new to me.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. You've heard of raspberry pi WITHOUT hearing about plex and/or kodi/xmbc?!?

I call major fucking BULLLLLLSHIT.
I'm missing the joke. Unless you're not joking. Then I'm wondering why it would be bullshit. I heard of raspberry pi only in the context of it being for sale for cheap via Slickdeals or Gizmodo. Never explored what it was for.

Anyhoo, thanks, Wlu & Rush.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

There have been a lot of improvements in the Pi and the things that it can run. If you do make that "big investment" just google around for the latest version of xmbc/whatever and the instructions for it. The tutorials typically have step by step instructions for dummies, including all the tools that you need to format the SD Card, get your metadata in order, etc. etc.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was reading more about this stuff today. Apparently I can sideload kodi on an Amazon Fire TV/Stick. That is cool considering I actually have a prime account.

However, what's the difference with all of these damn devices? Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, Google Nexus Player, Slingbox...etc. They all seem to do the same thing.

This seems to help, but everything looks so damn redundant: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-stream ... -2140.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outside of the Roku 3 with the controller you can connect headphones to, it seems to be just a matter of preference. Nothing seems to stand out.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well the Pi cists what? 25 bucks? and with either a wireless fob or a wired connection and an SD card can do anything those players can do and more.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

EdRomero wrote:My program's Board of Directors wants us be all technologically innovative, so they're encouraging us to buy a 3D Printer. Does anyone know anything about 3D Printers? I know someday they will make us food, weapons, clothing, airplanes, and houses, but for now it looks like they just make game pieces and bottle openers. The idea is we'd build some type of curriculum for Kindergartners through 5th grade (probably more for the older kids), so teachers (or probably me) would have to be trained and we still have to buy one too.

This place is down the street from me. I guess that will be the starting point for me, and I'm looking into this:
3D Printers are one of the most powerful tools to hit the consumer market, allowing users to expand their ability to create new products.
One of the best ways to learn about 3D printing is to build one yourself!
In this class, we will:
- Assemble your own RepRap 3DPrintMi
- Learn how to control, calibrate and maintain your 3D printer
- Learn the software to interact with your 3D printer
- Take it home with you and start printing!

Take home your own assembled 3D printer!

Cost: $900
Any advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, and my boss wants us to act quickly on this because that's what you're supposed to do when you jump into something no one knows about.
Is it too late to get one of these?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Raspberry Pi update:

HNNNNNNNNGGGGGG.

This thing is too cool. I have access to just about everything you could want to watch/listen to for Free.99.

Next is putting all the old school emulators on another SD card because why the hell not, right?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone know anything about Sharepoint?

I've been saddled with a small project that involves taking stuff from a Sharepoint data sheet, doing some calculations, putting into a graph type form, and saving it to another Sharepoint document. Should be easy enough, right? But I don't know anything about Sharepoint, and since no one else in my group does either, it got shuffled off to Dave, The Contractor.

Right now they are outputting the stuff to an excel spreadsheet for doing the calculations and creating the graphs, and then cutting and pasting them into the Sharepoint doc. Gotta be a way to do that better, and make it automated.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

We did get a 3D printer, but much, much slower than the one Ryan showed. My students have already designed and printed cool stuff with tinkercad.com. Next year I'm trying to get them an arduino and a makey makey.

Also, I'm trying to build a makerspace area for the program. If you have kids, look for makerspaces (they're mostly geared for high school kids). It's amazing how many opportunities are out there for kids now.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone know someone at Google? I applied 2 step verification to my account a few months back and my primary means of getting a verification code was a text to my cell phone. All good and well and works great, but it's to my German cell number. I never had a backup phone listed. So I'm trying to log into my laptop and I'm met with the verification stuff. Emails to Google are fruitless and there doesn't seem to be a help line. Also, since I can access all my accounts from my phone, the initial ticket I opened got kicked back to me because Google could show that I have access to my account. They didn't bother to read the blurb about my traveling. Worst case I can just wait until I get back to Germany, but I was hoping I could deal with it now.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

While I also haven't done it, that's why they say to print the emergency codes. I don't have an answer for you, but I will probably go print out my backup codes just in case.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Go to this job application if you have sec...

https://brown.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en- ... /200-Dyer-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Street/Associate-Dean_REQ116662-1

Under Education-Field of Study, I only get the first 100 results on the drop down. It says I need to revise my filter. How do I do that?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Raspberry Pi has been awesome. Except for one thing. The only real way to turn it on/off is to unplug and plug it in. So, obviously repeatedly doing that leads to corruption of the SD card it boots from. Everything operates smoothly for a couple months and then it gives a 'black screen of death', won't boot, and I have to go through the task of re-formatting and re-adding everything back. It's a pain in the ass. Is there any way that I can avoid this silliness?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:The Raspberry Pi has been awesome. Except for one thing. The only real way to turn it on/off is to unplug and plug it in. So, obviously repeatedly doing that leads to corruption of the SD card it boots from. Everything operates smoothly for a couple months and then it gives a 'black screen of death', won't boot, and I have to go through the task of re-formatting and re-adding everything back. It's a pain in the ass. Is there any way that I can avoid this silliness?
If you're using it as a media player, I know XMBC has a off switch in the program.
I have mine as a music player currently and there is a off selection as well.

Also why are you turning it off? Not like the thing gets hot, if you're worried get a small case fan to cool it.