Bourbon

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Re: Bourbon

Post by pruitt2 »

That $1,000 Bourbon You Bought May Be a Phony

Fraud hits the ultra-expensive bourbon market.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

From upthread, the Wegmans in Cherry Hill has a stand alone beer/wine/liquor store. Great selection too. Always liked the idea of it being stand alone and now understand, perhaps, why it is a pad site next to a standard Wegmans.

On bourbon, I acquired a taste for it at a bourbon tasting event at Morton’s. Found Basil Hayden that night and it was always a great go to. Over time, developed an interest in bourbon more frequently. Pairing with cigars or just while watching a game. I drink neat though I did recently have my first Old Fashioned. I had a Mint Julep that night at Morton’s, but that might be the extent of mixing. My cousin mixes beer and bourbon and says it’s great. That bourbon, ginger beer and pineapple sounds interesting btw. In any event, about a year ago I tried rye. Challenging thing here is, I started with a great bottle of Whistle Pig 15. So, that was my entry point. Similar to entering with Basil, if drinking neat, quality definitely matters. I know a few bourbon drinkers that don’t care for rye. I liked it and continue to have it in the rotation. Though, I’ve found Angels Envy Rye to be my preferred go to. It’s a pricy one, relatively speaking, but I don’t drink a ton of bourbon or rye so it becomes a bit of a treat.

Still love beer. Stout season is strong and I’ve found some really good stuff. Just picked up a 12 pack of nugget nectar cans this week. I know hop slam is hitting shelves soon.

Any of you try mixing bourbon and beer? What are your go to bourbon cocktails? Might try to find time to open up my appreciation of bourbon/rye. Just not with any of my Old Forrester 1920, Basil 10 year or Sam Houston 15. Until then, neat is the go to for me.
oh shit...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Goods post, ttb. I’m also a fan of sipping Basil Hayden and Whistle Pig.

For bourbon/rye cocktails, my two go-to’s are the classic Manhattan and the Vieux Carré. On the Manhattan, It’s fun to occasionally change up the whisky/red vermouth ratio. (My wife likes 3/2, I like 2/1.)

Vieux Carré is (per drink) one shot each of whisky, red vermouth, and cognac or brandy, plus half a teaspoon of Benedictine and a couple shakes of both angostura and peychaud bitters in a cocktail shaker. If you’ve got absinthe or Pernod, rim the glass with that, too. Serve up.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

teeteebee wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:34 am From upthread, the Wegmans in Cherry Hill has a stand alone beer/wine/liquor store. Great selection too. Always liked the idea of it being stand alone and now understand, perhaps, why it is a pad site next to a standard Wegmans.

On bourbon, I acquired a taste for it at a bourbon tasting event at Morton’s. Found Basil Hayden that night and it was always a great go to. Over time, developed an interest in bourbon more frequently. Pairing with cigars or just while watching a game. I drink neat though I did recently have my first Old Fashioned. I had a Mint Julep that night at Morton’s, but that might be the extent of mixing. My cousin mixes beer and bourbon and says it’s great. That bourbon, ginger beer and pineapple sounds interesting btw. In any event, about a year ago I tried rye. Challenging thing here is, I started with a great bottle of Whistle Pig 15. So, that was my entry point. Similar to entering with Basil, if drinking neat, quality definitely matters. I know a few bourbon drinkers that don’t care for rye. I liked it and continue to have it in the rotation. Though, I’ve found Angels Envy Rye to be my preferred go to. It’s a pricy one, relatively speaking, but I don’t drink a ton of bourbon or rye so it becomes a bit of a treat.

Still love beer. Stout season is strong and I’ve found some really good stuff. Just picked up a 12 pack of nugget nectar cans this week. I know hop slam is hitting shelves soon.

Any of you try mixing bourbon and beer? What are your go to bourbon cocktails? Might try to find time to open up my appreciation of bourbon/rye. Just not with any of my Old Forrester 1920, Basil 10 year or Sam Houston 15. Until then, neat is the go to for me.
In college I developed a taste for Bourbon, then I discovered Scotch and Bourbon fell back. Around 7 years ago I ordered a Bourbon at a bar. He told me I need to try Rye, and I'd never go back. I don't know why I never tried it before, but I loved it. I buy 3 or four bottles of Rye for ever bottle of Bourbon since then. For some reason, I'm starting to shift more towards Bourbon again.

When I started drinking Rye, Tempelton's was my favorite. Just got a bottle of Tempelton's for the first time in a few years, and now that I've tried a lot more, I'm not as big a fan. It's entry level, under $40/bottle. It's fine, just basic without much going on. I think it's made for mixing drinks, and I usually just drink whiskey neat. My new favorite is Widow Jane Rye with oak and applewood. I bought a bottle for $35, loved it, then could only find it for $55 or more, so I didn't buy it again. I found it for $40, so I have another bottle.

I used to love Old Fashioneds. When I'd come home from college, my high school friend's mother would them for me, along with Bourbon ball cookies every Christmas. I still like them, but not worth the effort, and I've had some amazing ones at high end places that make mine taste like garbage. I used to make Manhattans but haven't in years. Do sweet vermouth or bitters go bad if sitting open for a decade?

I've been looking to try new Bourbons, but I'm overwhelmed at all the options. It seems like there are tons of new brands on the market, and I don't know where to begin.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's too much effort to drop some simple syrup and orange bitters into a glass of bourbon?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am it's too much effort to drop some simple syrup and orange bitters into a glass of bourbon?
To do it right? Yes. Muddling oranges and cherries, bakers sugar, cocktail shaker. I’d rather drink neat than bad Old Fashioned.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

eh, it takes <5 min to make an above average old fashioned without much effort with the right stuff
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am eh, it takes <5 min to make an above average old fashioned without much effort with the right stuff
99 times out of 100 I'd prefer a bourbon neat. I am going to make a Rye Manhattan soon. Now I need to figure out where I put the shaker...
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:20 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am eh, it takes <5 min to make an above average old fashioned without much effort with the right stuff
99 times out of 100 I'd prefer a bourbon neat. I am going to make a Rye Manhattan soon. Now I need to figure out where I put the shaker...
OH NO. WHAT IF TWO REGULAR GLASSES WON'T WORK?!?!!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:20 am
OH NO. WHAT IF TWO REGULAR GLASSES WON'T WORK?!?!!
I'd like to think I would have thought of this.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay had good luck with the masters, so wish me luck for this.

Virginia’s annual Pappy Van Winkle lottery
By the numbers: The distillery determined how many bottles Virginia ABC gets to auction.
For the Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year, Virginia ABC has 966 bottles available for residents and an additional 241 for restaurants to enter to win. (will cost $90)
For the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year, it has 289 bottles for residents and 72 for restaurants (will cost $80)
Last year had the largest number of entries since the lottery began in 2016, at 302,884.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:41 am Okay had good luck with the masters, so wish me luck for this.

Virginia’s annual Pappy Van Winkle lottery
By the numbers: The distillery determined how many bottles Virginia ABC gets to auction.
For the Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year, Virginia ABC has 966 bottles available for residents and an additional 241 for restaurants to enter to win. (will cost $90)
For the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year, it has 289 bottles for residents and 72 for restaurants (will cost $80)
Last year had the largest number of entries since the lottery began in 2016, at 302,884.
Good luck!

And on a personal note, I prefer the 10-year Pappy over the 12-year. But it's not as if either of them are bad.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

If any of you jack-legs can get Weller near you, I’d be happy to buy it. It’s my favorite (along with Blantons) and damn near impossible to find anymore. Wife was flying in to Nashville last weekend and I picked her up. Went early and hit five different stores. Nothing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:46 am If any of you jack-legs can get Weller near you, I’d be happy to buy it. It’s my favorite (along with Blantons) and damn near impossible to find anymore. Wife was flying in to Nashville last weekend and I picked her up. Went early and hit five different stores. Nothing.
Yeah those are hard to get. I can have a look see at the store if I am there but I don't have high hopes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Apparently it became a thing that Weller was the same as Pappy and demand for Welller went nuts.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 am Apparently it became a thing that Weller was the same as Pappy and demand for Welller went nuts.
IIRC, the mash bill for Weller Antique is the same as Pappy but the barrels are stored in a different place in the rack house.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:33 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 am Apparently it became a thing that Weller was the same as Pappy and demand for Welller went nuts.
IIRC, the mash bill for Weller Antique is the same as Pappy but the barrels are stored in a different place in the rack house.
Always a good excuse to post the tree!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Makes it look like Georgia Moon is de-aged.

What do the coaster-water-stain looking oblongs mean?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:00 am Makes it look like Georgia Moon is de-aged.

What do the coaster-water-stain looking oblongs mean?
Those mean I couldn't' find an image that I could get to from my work computer that didn't have those on it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

WhistlePig makes some of the best rye whiskey I've ever tasted.

But a batch that spends time in barrels made from David Ortiz's bats?

Noli Timere Messorem
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:04 pm But a batch that spends time in barrels made from David Ortiz's bats?
Oh, for fuck's sake.

Okay, I read your link and this Food and Wine link, and it's not as bad as I thought. As a memorabilia geek, I was afraid that they cut up game-used Ortiz bats to build barrels, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
The remaining two iterations of the "Legends Series" — which will celebrate other living sports legends (not necessarily just from baseball) — are slated to launch later this year.
Any guesses? Whiskey finished on Jean Claude Killy's old skis? Jeff Gordon's tires? Laffit Pincay's horseshoes?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bapo! wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:31 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:04 pm But a batch that spends time in barrels made from David Ortiz's bats?
Oh, for fuck's sake.

Okay, I read your link and this Food and Wine link, and it's not as bad as I thought. As a memorabilia geek, I was afraid that they cut up game-used Ortiz bats to build barrels, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
The remaining two iterations of the "Legends Series" — which will celebrate other living sports legends (not necessarily just from baseball) — are slated to launch later this year.
Any guesses? Whiskey finished on Jean Claude Killy's old skis? Jeff Gordon's tires? Laffit Pincay's horseshoes?
John C. Holmes's ...
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:32 pm John C. Holmes's ...
Okay, let's not go too far here. I would buy whiskey that somehow used John Coltrane's reeds. Old hockey sticks? Sure, sign me up.

Can you get taste out of Roger Federer's rackets? I don't care -- I would still drink it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Had some Blanton's single barrel last night. Tasty.

Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm Had some Blanton's single barrel last night. Tasty.

Finding that is like gold mining these days. It’s so good.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:05 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm Had some Blanton's single barrel last night. Tasty.

Finding that is like gold mining these days. It’s so good.
I was going to mention that. It seems though the liquor distributor that does the run of restaurants on Frederick Road in Catonsville has it in stock, because each of the two restaurants I visited last night had it behind the bar.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think so many restaurants get first dibs anymore. And they can make a killing with the mark up.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

My collection is getting fairly healthy now. Off hand, I told the wife that I’m not buying anymore for a while, because I feel guilty even opening any of it. Given I have to hunt for it, and it’s expensive, I have to convince myself it’s ok to have some of it. Came home from work two weeks ago to a bottle of Blantons, eagle rare, weller special reserve, and Buffalo trace with a note- “these are guilt free, you want some, drink it.” I have a good wife y’all.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I know Buffalo trace isn’t fancy, but it’s allocated in Alabama so is actually hard to find. I typically have to head to Tennessee to get any.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Square Rob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:30 am I know Buffalo trace isn’t fancy, but it’s allocated in Alabama so is actually hard to find. I typically have to head to Tennessee to get any.
It’s allocated in Ohio, too. I don’t like BT straight but I think it makes an excellent old fashioned.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it is officially bourbon + ginger beer + pineapple juice szn
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:02 am it is officially bourbon + ginger beer + pineapple juice szn
A dark & salty!

Ok it doesn't really work.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I wanted to get a new (to me) wheated bourbon while I was booze shopping. I already know Maker’s. Couldn’t afford Pappy, even if I found it. Couldn’t find any Weller’s. So, the guy at the shop recommended an inexpensive brand called MacFarlane’s Reserve (made in Kentucky by IJW Whiskey Co.)

Good price but didn’t have much character. I guess I’ll use it in mixed cocktails.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:47 pm I wanted to get a new (to me) wheated bourbon while I was booze shopping. I already know Maker’s. Couldn’t afford Pappy, even if I found it. Couldn’t find any Weller’s. So, the guy at the shop recommended an inexpensive brand called MacFarlane’s Reserve (made in Kentucky by IJW Whiskey Co.)

Good price but didn’t have much character. I guess I’ll use it in mixed cocktails.
For a wheated mixer you can’t beat old Fitzgerald.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve seen that but never tried it. Next time!
oilcanboyd
Jackie Treehorn

Post by oilcanboyd »

Drinking some now. It's delicious.
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:56 pm I was out with my wife this past weekend in downtown Catonsville, and we had an after dinner drink at Jennings Cafe.

Had a glass of this on the rocks.

Anybody had this? TBH, I find it better than the original.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

!!!!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
oilcanboyd
Jackie Treehorn

Post by oilcanboyd »

And I missed you all. You all look great!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

oilcanboyd wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:30 pm And I missed you all. You all look great!
!!!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Welcome back, OCB!