The Lunch Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Lunch Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:52 am Inca Cola might be the sweetest soft drink I’ve ever had. Pretty sure I got a cavity after drinking a six-pack.
Yeah, I don't drink it often, but sometimes you just gotta. It has a bubble gum type flavor to it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Bubble gum or oddly flavored cream soda, but yeah, it’s a distinct taste.

I only tried it because Yves Galarcep wouldn’t stop tweeting about it during a USMNT game somewhere in Central America. Found a six-pack at Jungle Jim’s (TB knows about that place) so I tried it. I’ve never had another since.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am Trying a Peruvian place for lunch. Don't think I've had that cuisine before.
Its so good. There was(is?) a semi-upscale Peruvian place in Portland I went to atleast once every four days when I was working out there somewhat often.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:38 am Trying a Peruvian place for lunch. Don't think I've had that cuisine before.
Peruvian food is good! But don’t order the Cuy if your kids are nearby.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

One “t” syb
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And we have one in the U that I now realize we’ve never visited.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It was good. I got a fried fish dish with basically french fries. Was jealous of my buddy's meal though. His was chicken and rice and potatoes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:41 amOne “t” syb
No shit...I never noticed that!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This new sauce was pretty good at BW3 for lunch today.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Looks like a new Peruvian sandwich shop(?) is going into a nice spot in Maplewood (nj). Llama with sunglasses as the logo so it must be good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Where at?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I got spoiled in ABQ. There's an incredible Peruvian spot right outside the base. (The Peruvian places here in Tucson are so-so in comparison.)

When we didn't know what we wanted to eat, we went either there or the Caribbean spot near the university.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:03 pm This new sauce was pretty good at BW3 for lunch today.
Ooooh, I'm going to have to try that. It's kinda like when Popeye's and Megan Thee Stallion did the "Hottie Sauce" collab. I heard B-Dubs is doing a chicken sandwich now and you can douse it in any of their sauces.

Because of Hot Ones, I'm always perusing Heatonist for hot sauces. My favorites are the green Los Calientes and Dirty Dick's.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:33 pmWhere at?
Caddy corner from the Wine Barrel (where Edo’s used to be, though he’s doing pretty well in hillside and still putting out great cakes).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

From Magary's Funbag:

Question: Ordering nachos by yourself is a perfect experience. You get to work your way through the pile without anyone else ruining the effort it took to get to the Perfect Pull.

Answer: OK but the average nacho platter is so big that the NFL hires a color guard to unfurl it before every game. No one man should have all those nachos, mostly because he’ll be shitting his brains out after the fact. Plus there’s no gamesmanship in ordering nachos for yourself. You don’t get to scout out the platter and then strategize how to get the best bites before your tablemates do. That’s where the action is, baby.

Ordering a full plate of nachos for one is a bad idea, trust me. You don't want to be riding in a golf cart with someone for five hours after that.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I hardly ever eat out for lunch now that I work from home, but had to venture out of the cave today for a dentist appointment. Luckily the dentist is right by a Vietnamese place. Just downed a really tasty pork belly banh mi sandwich. Two thumbs up.
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the best sandwich anywhere near us is the pork belly banh mi from the thai place a few miles away. I add an egg to it and get two meals out of it for less than $10
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:06 am Looks like a new Peruvian sandwich shop(?) is going into a nice spot in Maplewood (nj). Llama with sunglasses as the logo so it must be good.
They have a truck and it’s at the town’s Hispanic Heritage Celebration (and has been at the farmers market) and if their apps are any thing to judge by the place is gonna be great.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Belongs in the dinner thread, but I just went and picked up two pulled chickens w/ cornbread and sides of cold slaw and potato salad from Mission BBQ. Carolina BBQ sauce. Oh, and a brownie that we'll split.

Good eats.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Made a trip up to Charm City to watch the alma mater play a soccer game today.

On the way out, swung by Catonsville to hit up Pioneer Pit Beef and I now have another spot when I'm looking for that particular culinary choice. Regular sandwich, medium rare, raw onions and tiger sauce. Side of fries and gravy split with the wife, who had the same sandwich but with BBQ sauce.

Top notch.

(The other joint I've frequented is Chaps. There's, apparently, something about these pit beef places that lends themselves to a shack-like establishment, nestled next to liquor stores and/or strip clubs. ??)

The other pit beef place we want to hit is Canopy. Don't need much of a reason to head up that way, but today was a very good day. (despite my team losing an annoying game)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 am Gas station next to office has a taco truck that offers lunch now. Looking forward to it.
having a burrito. so good. you know a place is solid when the eight people in front of you are Mexican.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:14 pmMade a trip up to Charm City to watch the alma mater play a soccer game today ...
I've had a massive craving for this post-Thanksgiving when I found out a friend was in Baltimore for a few days. Really not something you can replicate at home without having your own deli slicer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:44 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 am Gas station next to office has a taco truck that offers lunch now. Looking forward to it.
having a burrito. so good. you know a place is the best when the eight people in front of you are Mexican.
FIFY
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:49 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:14 pmMade a trip up to Charm City to watch the alma mater play a soccer game today ...
I've had a massive craving for this post-Thanksgiving when I found out a friend was in Baltimore for a few days. Really not something you can replicate at home without having your own deli slicer.
I'm getting a roast beef sub w/ horseradish mayo (and lettuce) for lunch but I know its not going to be the same.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't know if we have a dinner thread, but it'll be lunch somewhere. Having dinner at this James Beard semi-finalist restaurant tonight and have no idea what to get because it all looks so damn good.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:23 pm I don't know if we have a dinner thread, but it'll be lunch somewhere. Having dinner at this James Beard semi-finalist restaurant tonight and have no idea what to get because it all looks so damn good.
Normally I love playing this game, but fuck, I want every item on that menu!
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:23 pm I don't know if we have a dinner thread, but it'll be lunch somewhere. Having dinner at this James Beard semi-finalist restaurant tonight and have no idea what to get because it all looks so damn good.
Gotta start with the Phat Dim Sum Platter. The Basil Beef looks amazing, but it didn't win any awards like the Beef Rendang did, so I don't know which I'd choose.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That menu is impossible so I’d probably argue for no mains and like 8 of the smaller plates between two of us.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:24 pm That menu is impossible so I’d probably argue for no mains and like 8 of the smaller plates between two of us.
I like your thinking.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:55 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:24 pm That menu is impossible so I’d probably argue for no mains and like 8 of the smaller plates between two of us.
I like your thinking.
Table for 3 again Mr Giff?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

UPDATE we went with the following:

Roti with curry chicken dip
Satay chicken skewers
Pineapple fried rice
And the holiday special Waygu beef rendang Wellington

All of it fucking superb.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Another dinner not lunch but we just found a great place here in town. Had an amazing pork chop with local grits and brussels sprouts(maybe not local i never know whats in season) and the wife had a great pasta dish. And there was live music, but just a guy with a guitar. Dude was on The Voice! And he played john prine and jim croce and chris stapleton and CSN and lots of good stuff.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:18 pm Another dinner not lunch but we just found a great place here in town. Had an amazing pork chop with local grits and brussels sprouts(maybe not local i never know whats in season) and the wife had a great pasta dish. And there was live music, but just a guy with a guitar. Dude was on The Voice! And he played john prine and jim croce and chris stapleton and CSN and lots of good stuff.
I won't eat grits if they travelled more than 15 miles to get to my plate. Actually, I'm going to assume I've never had decent grits, because the few times I've had them, I can't comprehend why anyone would eat them.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Butter.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Team lunch tomorrow to welcome a new employee, going to a Jose Andres restaurant. I forget the name, but it's Greek food. Had no idea he owned a Greek restaurant, but I'm excited.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:00 pm Team lunch tomorrow to welcome a new employee, going to a Jose Andres restaurant. I forget the name, but it's Greek food.
Your new co-workers name is Tzatziki Loukaniko?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Benghazi!

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Grilled burgers last night, had leftover for lunch. So good. Hadn't made burgers at home in a bit for some reason. Won't fit everyone's flavor profile, but here's what I do:

1.5# 80/20 chuck
3/4 packet of onion soup mix (you can adjust to your preferences)
about a 1/4-1/3 cup of woostershoshtersihire sauce. I eyeball this part to where I get the color I want. Still mostly pink but with a dullness to it.
Rolled into balls, smashed into patties (made 5 last night but can make as big or small as needed. These fit perfectly on a store brand, classic hamburger bun.) Grilled on medium (it was around 375-400) for 6 minutes each side (5 if you made it at home from a grinder). Then move off heat and melted some cheese on a couple.

Came out perfect.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

We ate at our favorite Lyonnaise bistro for dinner on Saturday, Bistro B. Just superb. Place seats roughly 20 people, and he’s received a Michelin star and Gault & Millau certification. In my opinion his greatest skill is his wine pairings, and he does an excellent job explaining the what’s and why’s he’s picked what he has. He changes the menu roughly every week to ten days, and keeps to seasonal and local, so impossible to recommend a plate. If you ever find yourself in Lyon it’s highly recommended.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fucking one-upper.