The Lunch Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The Lunch Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:17 pm It was awesome. Having the leftovers for dinner tonight. The peach tea glazed pork belly was phenomenal and I've never seen smoked scalloped potatoes as a side.

I have been doing a lot of BBQ eating over the last year or so. I've never been all that into it, but the cravings have stuck around for a while. What I've decided (and am sure I won't stick to) is that I'm done ordering brisket at these places. They're all phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but at this point with how popular it's become here, none of them actually stand out. So it's all stuff unique to the particular place going forward instead of paying $15 1/2 pound of something that tastes as good as the last one.
This reminds me, I made jello shots a few weekends ago. Peach jello, lemon ginger tea, and rye. Tasty, but next time I'm cutting out any tea that isn't just fruit and probably using bourbon instead of rye. Between the ginger and rye here was too much savory in this flavor mix. Got the recipe from Chef Sara Bradley's instagram page (runner up on this season's Top Chef All-Stars as well as her original season of Top Chef Kentucky).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just made some flatbreads with lemon ricotta, hot honey, pepper flakes and roasted cherry tomatoes and zukes and it was marvelous.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Damn, that sounds delicious.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Buffalo cheeseburger with mayo, mustard, chopped onions, and jalapenos from a shack called Bubba's which has somehow survived all the highway construction/expansion around it. I legit assumed it closed down during COVID due to that and the construction.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Bout to have wing stop for the first time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Back in Ohio for a family event this weekend (who in Columbus schedules a couples baby shower during the Ohio State game?? - should probably go in the Rants thread).

Got my Skyline Chili fix and my Joe Burrow collectable cup.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:32 pm Bout to have wing stop for the first time.
Go with the Atomic sauce or the Korean sauce. Atomic isn't too spicy and has great flavor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:21 pm This reminds me, I made jello shots a few weekends ago. Peach jello, lemon ginger tea, and rye. Tasty, but next time I'm cutting out any tea that isn't just fruit and probably using bourbon instead of rye. Between the ginger and rye here was too much savory in this flavor mix. Got the recipe from Chef Sara Bradley's instagram page (runner up on this season's Top Chef All-Stars as well as her original season of Top Chef Kentucky).
We've decided that instead of handing out the small cups of frozen margaritas this year for "Grown Up Trick & Treat" at Halloween, we're going to do Jello Shots instead. Might need to find that recipe.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:58 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:21 pm This reminds me, I made jello shots a few weekends ago. Peach jello, lemon ginger tea, and rye. Tasty, but next time I'm cutting out any tea that isn't just fruit and probably using bourbon instead of rye. Between the ginger and rye here was too much savory in this flavor mix. Got the recipe from Chef Sara Bradley's instagram page (runner up on this season's Top Chef All-Stars as well as her original season of Top Chef Kentucky).
We've decided that instead of handing out the small cups of frozen margaritas this year for "Grown Up Trick & Treat" at Halloween, we're going to do Jello Shots instead. Might need to find that recipe.

I would definitely go away from my choice of rye and towards a sweeter bourbon. I'd also make sure to just do a fruit tea, not one with ginger too. I don't think savory or umami is all that great of a taste in a jello shot.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hoagies, from the deli I mentioned at some point the last week or two in the license plate thread.

I’m worried about whether they’ll be around next summer. The old man who originated the place is looking very old, and his wife passed away last year. The daughter has been running everything the last 2 or 3 summers, and I’d guess she’ll keep at it as long as he’s around but not sure after that. Though I’m pretty sure they own the building and live upstairs so maybe that helps.

If it closes then this end of town will be an absolute hoagie desert, at least during the day. My other fave hoagie place, which was even older, closed at the end of the season last summer.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hope you ordered the fries.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:20 pm
I hope you ordered the fries.
And dipped them in blue cheese.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

YUP.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If u serve me a po boy on a hot dog bun u can get fucked
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, this exact thing happened to me at a place I was surprised it did.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I made the one with gochujang cream sauce but substituted the shrimp for chicken. Really, really good and super simple.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They just opened a Cheba Hut by the house and that is bad news for my belly.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:55 pm They just opened a Cheba Hut by the house and that is bad news for my belly.
Wanted to like it but not a fan.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bummer. Been three times and really liked what I had. Today was chicken breast, peanut butter, honey sriracha, and pineapple.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:17 pm Bummer. Been three times and really liked what I had. Today was chicken breast, peanut butter, honey sriracha, and pineapple.
Remove the chicken, and that sounds good. Interesting menu, and I mean the food not the weed related names.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is this just restarting Quizno's?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:25 pm Is this just restarting Quizno's?
I just looked at the menu. Quiznos never had a menu like that, did they? Maybe the bread was similar, but wasn't it just rustic bread with Subway + veggies?

Maybe they expanded since college.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, the look and the whole "we toast our sandwiches". I guess there are a lot more options. I can't believe ~25 year old Mister D was super excited to try that on a visit to Chicago.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Quiznos was pretty underrated in retrospect. Not enough places have sesame seed bread options.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should be the default for subs.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:35 pm Yeah, the look and the whole "we toast our sandwiches". I guess there are a lot more options. I can't believe ~25 year old Mister D was super excited to try that on a visit to Chicago.
Yeah, their innovation was being the first chain to toast the subs and they had lots more variety in their menu.

They got bought by a guy that a) expanded too aggressively through franchisees, b) forced those franchise owners to buy all of their supplies through a subsidiary that overpriced the ingredients and c) did not live up to agreements with said franchises.

Weirdly, a 10 minute story popped in my YouTube feed a couple of weeks ago.

/useless info in my head
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Cheba Hut moving into a prime corner bar/restaurant spot near me (where the Lazy Dog used to be, for those familiar w/ the environs). Guessing it's gonna slay with the wooks and tie-dyed pajama folk.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It was fun going to Cheba Hut in uniform on April 20th. Had to get there early to avoid the line though. I liked the head nods from the stoners.

And as a sandwich chain I liked it way more than any of the others (Subway, Quiznos, Potbelly, Firehouse, Which Wich...etc) because the ingredients are so unique and the goo balls are delicious.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had Whataburger for the first time in over a year and it was delightful.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am Frozen potstickers air crisped in the Ninja. Better than it has any right to be.
Not crispy enough?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:51 am
Ryan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am Frozen potstickers air crisped in the Ninja. Better than it has any right to be.
Not crispy enough?
I like the taste of fried cooking oil.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can already tell this jerk chicken patty isn't going to stay with me long.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My office did a big Thanksgiving catered lunch. Food was phenomenal, best version of every traditional dish I've ever had, especially the turkey. Shaved parmesan on the brussel sprouts was a nice touch. I'd make something similar, but I'm probably the only person who would eat it. One of the catering staff gave me that "I know this guy from somewhere" feeling, but I was in a conversation and didn't give it much thought. My manager walked over and whispered, "it's freaking me out how much one of the caterers looks like Jeffrey Epstein." As soon as she said it, I knew that was exactly why. I felt creeped out every time I saw him after that. The resemblance was uncanny. And while I'm not usually a huge prime rib fan, the prime rib was incredible. So glad we switched caterers.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ham & peanut butter sandwich.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

While I'll be having it at dinner, it'll only be my second meal so it counts. We are headed to Post Houston, a food court/office building/concert hall venue in what used to be Barbara Jordan Post Office to see their Xmas light display, and I'm finally trying YoYo's Hot Dogs. It's been a staple in Houston, but only open late at night by the bar spots until they opened this one.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

While those hot dogs look great ...
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:51 pmWhile I'll be having it at dinner, it'll only be my second meal so it counts.
... that line is nonsense. I essentially don't eat dinner most days under that logic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm not jealous often, but Giff's food posts always get me.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm While those hot dogs look great ...
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:51 pmWhile I'll be having it at dinner, it'll only be my second meal so it counts.
... that line is nonsense. I essentially don't eat dinner most days under that logic.
It's fine logic if you don't want to start a new thread (I didn't see a dinner thread).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm I'm not jealous often, but Giff's food posts always get me.
Seriously, y'all would love a Swamp meetup here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:16 pmIt's fine logic if you don't want to start a new thread (I didn't see a dinner thread).
Missed chance for a Hot Dogs thread. I could have contributed tomorrow because if we go to the city, my youngest has to get (atleast) one from a street vendor.