Winter Reading Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Winter Reading Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Just finished Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. Typical of Palahniuk, it is weird as fuck and continually got weirder. I was really getting into it, as it slowly unfolds level by level. It is the retelling of a guy's bizarre life through a documentary interviewing a large cast of characters, skipping from person to person every paragraph or two. The last twist started getting stupid, IMO, It also felt like he phoned it in for the last several chapters. Still a cool concept and unlike anything I have ever read.

Next up is The Reason I Junp. The inner thoughts of a 13 yo Japanese Autistic child.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Re: Winter Reading Thread

Post by Scottie »

My second trip through this underrated masterpiece (first was in 1990 upon release). Highly recommend it. Particularly if you enjoy huge and complex novels; the structure alone is tremendous. Great, great stuff.

Pic links to 'zon.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just finished

now listening to

and reading

and

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finished Doris Kearns Goodwin's bio of LBJ and Big Roads by Earl Swift. Now onto Black Hawk Down. Never read it and it's one of the only ones I own that I haven't read yet, so thought I would before I make another trip to the library. Only 60 pages in so far and it's unbelievable storytelling.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Only 60 pages in so far and it's unbelievable storytelling.
Word. By far the most intense true story I have ever read. Way better than Lone Survivor, which is coming out in movie form. Made for a decent screenplay, so it should translate well to film.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Word. By far the most intense true story I have ever read. Way better than Lone Survivor, which is coming out in movie form. Made for a decent screenplay, so it should translate well to film.
Not that I have anything to base this on obviously, but the movie seemed to me to be the most realistic war movie I'd seen at that time. Will be interesting to re-watch after I finish the book.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Not that I have anything to base this on obviously, but the movie seemed to me to be the most realistic war movie I'd seen at that time. Will be interesting to re-watch after I finish the book.
I thought the movie version of Blackhawk Down was really well done. It's been a long time, but I think the movie did a good job following the book, which may not have been completely accurate either, but it gives you a good taste of what they went through.
-Pruitt
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

ImageImageImage

I kinda hit the jackpot on reading, all three of these are very good. Two week holiday coming up, on which these will hopefully get some attention:

ImageImage
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brain is too scattered to tackle a novel or long work of non-fiction.

But these stories are hitting the mark.

Funny and occasionally mean spirited.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:

Lone Survivor was decent. Good action, intense.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey BTTG:

I just read this, which casts some context on Manchester's book on the assassination:

This is an excellent, thorough history of the Warren Commission investigation. I do not recommend it, because it is way too dense and detailed for any but the serious assassination buff. Had I not dove into all the TV documentaries around the anniversary in November, and not had all the details fresh in my mind, I would not have lasted 50 pages of this book. I never would have picked this up on my own, it was a gift (since I ran my mouth so much about the event around the anniversary). I was reluctant to even read it. But, with all the characters and events fresh to my consciousness, I enjoyed it as a history geek, specifically as a JFK murder super-geek. Lots of detail about the staff lawyers and how they went about the day-to-day of investigating the myriad aspects of the crime (Oswald's international trips, KGB and Cuban intelligence operatives, Jack Ruby's organized crime connections, Marina Oswald's background, the FBI and CIA pre-existent investigations of Oswald). And the numerous obstructions and shortcomings of the investigation and conclusions. (There were clear coverups, but for motives other than to protect a conspiracy.)

He covers Manchester's investigation and his 'sanctioned by the Kennedy family' version of history. According to Shenon, Jackie and Bobby were under the impression that Manchester would be valuable in their crafting of the myth of JFK and gave him plenty of access and interview time; more than they granted the Warren Commission. However, they did not control Manchester to the degree they expected; they assumed they would have final edit. They did not. Although, overall they were initially, and as time passed, pleased with Manchester's version. So, yeah, Shenon says Death of a President is a hagiography, but not nearly as bad as one might cynically assume.

FWIW, Earl Warren was extremely deferential to and protective of Jackie and the Kennedy family during the Commission activities, to the detriment of the official investigation. Perhaps no less deferential than Manchester had been.

And hopefully, I'll have little or nothing further to say about the JFK assassination until the 75th anniversary. Cause even I have had quite enough. (Oswald acted alone, cause he was nuts and wanted to be a famous 'big man'. And he succeeded.)

(I don't think I'll be waiting for "Profiles in Cowardice" or "Conspiracy a Go-Go")

Plowing through this now. I don't like this guy much, but he succeeded too:

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Howard, I really enjoyed this

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Thanks. I am just up to the part when IBM breaks ground on their research facility in Upstate NY in 1935, and how it became a model for corporate tech R+D. The one thing that impresses me the most about Watson is that when the depression hit, he increased his R+D expenditures. This decision was bold, visionary, optimistic and the opposite of what most firms did. The decision was also pollyannish (betting on a short depression, which was wrong), reckless, and nearly bankrupted the firm. Most importantly, the decision was lucky. Rather than destroy IBM, combined with the timing of other events the investment in research was like drafting Tom Brady in the 5th round, led directly to IBM for the win for the next fifty years.

The more history I read, the more I respect the role of luck.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A Ron Swanson lover like yourself believing in luck??
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Thanks. I am just up to the part when IBM breaks ground on their research facility in Upstate NY in 1935, and how it became a model for corporate tech R+D. The one thing that impresses me the most about Watson is that when the depression hit, he increased his R+D expenditures. This decision was bold, visionary, optimistic and the opposite of what most firms did. The decision was also pollyannish (betting on a short depression, which was wrong), reckless, and nearly bankrupted the firm. Most importantly, the decision was lucky. Rather than destroy IBM, combined with the timing of other events the investment in research was like drafting Tom Brady in the 5th round, led directly to IBM for the win for the next fifty years.

The more history I read, the more I respect the role of luck.

I'm curious to read that, since I grew up in a town completely dominated by IBM employees. IBM was founded there, and there used to be 4 major plants in the area and my town's school was vastly superior to all of the neighboring towns. Not a brag, just that other schools were either full of drug dealers from NYC or woodchucks and hillbillies. Watson was known to be an anti-Semitic White Supremacist and provided the Nazi's with equipment used in concentration camps. I don't think he was quite the Nazi Sympathizer Henry Ford and Charles Lindbergh were though.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote:my town's school was vastly superior to all of the neighboring towns.
How hard is it be superior to Binghamton?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:
The Sybian wrote:my town's school was vastly superior to all of the neighboring towns.
How hard is it be superior to Binghamton?
Hence my next sentence. Binghamton HS was full of drug dealers and crack babies growned up. The rest of the region was what you picture backwoods PA to be. My town is where all of the college professors, engineers and Doctors lived, so the divide in school districts only widened. Actually, the neighboring 3 or 4 towns were standard middle class white suburban blandness, then it gets dicey.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think its that way with a majority of New York. People don't realize how full of rednecks the state is.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Some similarities with Davis and the surrounding Sacramento Valley towns back in my day. Woodland is semi-rural.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll probably Finish Doctor Sleep this weekend.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
was by bathroom/waiting book on the ipod lately. Decent. I like Kaling.

Not certain what I'm going to next. Interested in Dan Simmons's The Abominable but may give The Name of the Rose a shot.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm in the middle of the fifth book of the A Song of Ice and Fire (AKA, the A Game of Thrones series). It's an impressive, expansive, HUUUUGE piece of work. I've found myself slowing down a bit, because I know when I finish this one, the stories won't be tied up and there are two more books left to go. I think the rumor is that book 6 will come out this year, but who knows about book 7? Surely Martin will feel the pressure to stay ahead of the TV show, right?

Totally Kafkaesque
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I finished this last night:

It was very good. I had read a few different Ted Williams books before and I think I enjoyed this one the most.

Next up is one of these two:

Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Fortunately, I got that David Cross book for free at a yard sale that was finishing up. That made throwing it away after a couple of pages so much easier.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Scottie wrote:Fortunately, I got that David Cross book for free at a yard sale that was finishing up. That made throwing it away after a couple of pages so much easier.

It is a library book so it ain't costing me anything if it sucks. The only book I have bought in the last year or so was The Goldfinch, and that was using a gift certificate I got for Christmas.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Scottie wrote:Fortunately, I got that David Cross book for free at a yard sale that was finishing up. That made throwing it away after a couple of pages so much easier.
Like Bensell, I got that book from the library.

It is so bad that I can no longer enjoy seeing him in anything. Even Mr. Show has become less funny since reading the first half of that book. Unfunny, whiny, bitter it's just terrible.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

howard wrote:(I don't think I'll be waiting for "Profiles in Cowardice" or "Conspiracy a Go-Go")
I really did love Slacker, such a funny film.

I started the Manchester book early and, about 65 pages in, it is every bit as engrossing as I hoped. Have nearly missed my stop on the train a couple of times in the last 24 hours.

What has been most interesting so far is the exploration of the Dallas community in the early 1960s and how it managed to ferment in to this hate-filled cauldron of Baptist, anti-communist loonies. Perhaps Manchester exaggerates this a bit and writes it up in purposeful fashion, I don't know. But more than almost anything else I've read , it helps me comprehend a lone gunman idea, the notion that there were plenty of deranged potential assassins and Oswald just happened to be the one to follow through.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Doctor Sleep was a good tale. King is getting better with age, IMO. Couple of twists in there that were excellently plotted.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I regularly listen to a BBC podcast called "Great Lives," and the one about the life of Graham Greene reminded me that I have a number of his books on my shelves.

Started this one and am deeply immersed...

Old time story telling.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I finally finished the first book of Caro's LBJ Biography. Good lord....he hasn't even been elected to the Senate yet! Good book though...very interesting. But I think I'm going to take a little break before diving into the next one.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was reading this week's Entertainment Weekly and noticed that the cover of the book in the featured review (a well-reviewed YA Hunger Games knockoff) features a blurb from a guy Sabo and I used to work with. Small world.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rush2112 wrote:Image
Well, this has my logistics boner raging. How was it?

I started this the other day. It's pretty awesome, in my opinion. Calls out both sides for being ridiculous in their own right:

Lots of history, weird facts, and misplaced idealism from what you'd think on the surface.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Image
Well, this has my logistics boner raging. How was it?
Not quite done, but it's interesting. More about the way the different aspects of shipping more than anythings else. History of the container ships, piracy, how marine life is effected, etc.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Pruitt wrote:
Like Bensell, I got that book from the library.

It is so bad that I can no longer enjoy seeing him in anything. Even Mr. Show has become less funny since reading the first half of that book. Unfunny, whiny, bitter it's just terrible.
I quit less than 50 pages in - truly terrible. But I refuse to like Mr. Show even a smidge less.

To make up for reading the first 2 books in this series:

I am halfway through this:

But I have to say the Mortal Instruments books are a fun read so far.
howard
Karl Hungus

This Is How amazon.com Saves Me Money

Post by howard »

Walked in to Barnes & Noble for one book, for work:

Walked out with it, and with seven others:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

That'll keep ya' busy until opening day. Looking forward to what you have to say about Larson's book. I loved Devil In The White City but haven't read that one.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Larson + Hitler = I think I'm gonna like it.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

howard wrote:Larson + Hitler = I think I'm gonna like it.
don't expect the storytelling dynamism of devil. garden of beasts is incredibly well-researched and is a fascinating perspective into american diplomacy, especially as an apparatus coming to grips with the rise nazi germany, but it doesn't pop like devil.

you'll still like it, though.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just finished listening to The Contortionist's Handbook. Absolutely loved it, couldn't put it down. It is a bit dark and unusual, kind of like a Chuck Palahniuk book, but more rooted in reality. Cool story of psychology, drugs and crime.

Almost finished reading Marc Maron's Jerusalem Syndrome. Pretty much a memoir told in funny stories. If you like Maron, you'll like this. If you regularly listen to WTF, you probably heard at least half the stories, but it is a bit longer form in the book, and told in a straight chronology. Good, fun read.

-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

cerrano wrote:
howard wrote:Larson + Hitler = I think I'm gonna like it.
don't expect the storytelling dynamism of devil. garden of beasts is incredibly well-researched and is a fascinating perspective into american diplomacy, especially as an apparatus coming to grips with the rise nazi germany, but it doesn't pop like devil.

you'll still like it, though.
Just give me some Ribbentrop.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Inspired by the discussion of the Nye/Ham abortion in the Science! thread, I started listening to Stephen Hawking's Grand Design this morning. Not the easiest listen in the car on a sleep deprived morning. Not sure if I will be able to keep up with this on an audio book. Probably best read in hardcopy to slow down and absorb the intricacies of M-Theory, which is a theory unifying the 5 String Theories. I don't know much at all about String Theory, so this might not work out too well.

-Pruitt