CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:22 pm Though my job is (by design) about the farthest thing from cube life I’ll try to stick job updates here but heading to Phoenix tomorrow for Knight’s “Top Gun” training program. They only have 8 spots a week so it’s not a thing that all new hires get to do. It’s an intensive program covering a lot of things new drivers need to deal with. It’s pretty cool because they have state-of-the-art simulators and you even get to sleep in the trucks to experience what that’s like before you actually get out on the road.
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable coming in from above
Don't need no phone at all
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like great training!

fwiw, I once got to tag along on a flight in Kevin Knight’s private plane, from NYC (Teterboro) to Chicago. It was pretty sweet.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All moved into my “hotel”/truck for the week. It’s not entirely uncomfortable but I admit it’ll be weird when I’m doing this full-time. Fully expect to actually lose weight quickly since I might be apt to walk a bunch after stopping for the day just to get time out of the truck. Hopefully at least.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:32 pm All moved into my “hotel”/truck for the week. It’s not entirely uncomfortable but I admit it’ll be weird when I’m doing this full-time. Fully expect to actually lose weight quickly since I might be apt to walk a bunch after stopping for the day just to get time out of the truck. Hopefully at least.
My buddy drives a truck for a living. He's been through the gamut of quitting and getting hired at many places. Currently he's making good money doing his thing for oil companies in Texas. But he's done OTR for quite a while.

He likes it from what I can tell. But like any job it has its moments. I'm just bummed the dude quit going to college after a bunch of years and school debt to not get his O-chem degree finished.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You guys think Brian has cranked one out yet or is he holding strong?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:04 am You guys think Brian has cranked one out yet or is he holding strong?
Waiting to hear the first lot lizard stories, personally.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:11 am
mister d wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:04 am You guys think Brian has cranked one out yet or is he holding strong?
Shit, hadn’t thought about that! Must include pictures!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:27 am
That shit will get you killed.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:24 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:27 am
That shit will get you killed.
Naw, might get Brian killed, but I'll be just fine.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Any potential dating I have in the near future clearly cannot compete with truckstop stories.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Listen, I enjoy that since we've been going into the office twice a week that they are ordering in breakfast. I want to make that clear. But please go back to the kolaches and donuts. Denny's delivered breakfast is inedible.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't imagine eating Denny's food not at Denny's.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't recommend it. What's even funnier is we have a Diwali celebration with tons of Indian food ordered, but the facilities manager ordered Denny's. This is the second time and the first time, she ordered for 20 and they delivered for 5. Today it looks like they delivered for 40.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:55 am Listen, I enjoy that since we've been going into the office twice a week that they are ordering in breakfast. I want to make that clear. But please go back to the kolaches and donuts. Denny's delivered breakfast is inedible.
Moons Over My Hammy doesn't travel well.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:16 am I don't recommend it. What's even funnier is we have a Diwali celebration with tons of Indian food ordered, but the facilities manager ordered Denny's. This is the second time and the first time, she ordered for 20 and they delivered for 5. Today it looks like they delivered for 40.
So she had the options of (A) just order more Indian food, or (B) order Denny's, and she chose Option B?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:22 am
Giff wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:16 am I don't recommend it. What's even funnier is we have a Diwali celebration with tons of Indian food ordered, but the facilities manager ordered Denny's. This is the second time and the first time, she ordered for 20 and they delivered for 5. Today it looks like they delivered for 40.
So she had the options of (A) just order more Indian food, or (B) order Denny's, and she chose Option B?
I think it was a lack of communication. The party planning committee ordered the Indian food and probably didn't tell her.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:36 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:22 am
I think it was a lack of communication. The party planning committee ordered the Indian food and probably didn't tell her.
Dammit Phyllis. Just let Angela handle it!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 am I can't imagine eating Denny's food not at Denny's.
Or sober.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

As part of my GS employment I have to take a pee test and redo my security clearance paperwork.

The security clearance stuff is good to go. But I peed in a cup on the 2nd and I still haven't heard anything back. I called the 888 number on the personal paperwork and was told there's no record of it in their system. I'll probably have to pee in a cup again.

I think it's funny, but also reminded me what I'm getting back into with a government service job.

In the meantime I was told by the county that I got the procurement officer job, but since I chose the GS job I had to decline it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:19 pm As part of my GS employment I have to take a pee test and redo my security clearance paperwork.

The security clearance stuff is good to go. But I peed in a cup on the 2nd and I still haven't heard anything back. I called the 888 number on the personal paperwork and was told there's no record of it in their system. I'll probably have to pee in a cup again.

I think it's funny, but also reminded me what I'm getting back into with a government service job.

In the meantime I was told by the county that I got the procurement officer job, but since I chose the GS job I had to decline it.
Is there ongoing testing at this job, and are you willing to give up weed for this job?
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 am I can't imagine eating Denny's food not at Denny's.
Patton Oswalt does a fantastic bit about Denny's.

That it's sole existence is to be there as a fall-back position to assess some situation that has gone horribly wrong, and that the waitresses seem to know to leave you alone by silently pouring you coffee.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:41 pm My new company was granting 4 weeks PTO, plus holidays which is amazing. Well they recently changed it apparently to an open PTO policy, which means you can take as much PTO as you want with no parameters whatsoever. That also sounds amazing but I hate it. I don't want to police my own time off at all and there's no way I'll take even close to 4 weeks, especially as a new employee. They say the amount of PTO you choose to take does not factor into your performance, but how can it not? Like, there has to be a subjective point where it becomes a problem.
Sounds like we’re heading this way next year. It was explained to me that it’s becoming a standard and also we’ve been in a bit of an acquisition mode the past 5+ years so this makes onboarding that type of new employee much easier. Plus not having to do pay out for PTO time when people leave. And it was admitted that some studies show employees take less days. I appreciated all of that at least, even it was in response to me saying that I can’t figure it the angle on the policy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:07 pm
Jerloma wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:41 pm My new company was granting 4 weeks PTO, plus holidays which is amazing. Well they recently changed it apparently to an open PTO policy, which means you can take as much PTO as you want with no parameters whatsoever. That also sounds amazing but I hate it. I don't want to police my own time off at all and there's no way I'll take even close to 4 weeks, especially as a new employee. They say the amount of PTO you choose to take does not factor into your performance, but how can it not? Like, there has to be a subjective point where it becomes a problem.
Sounds like we’re heading this way next year. It was explained to me that it’s becoming a standard and also we’ve been in a bit of an acquisition mode the past 5+ years so this makes onboarding that type of new employee much easier. Plus not having to do pay out for PTO time when people leave. And it was admitted that some studies show employees take less days. I appreciated all of that at least, even it was in response to me saying that I can’t figure it the angle on the policy.
We switched to that like 12 years ago but fuck my company. You better believe I took my 4 weeks. Some years closer to 5.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I am at 35 days total (36 if you count the volunteer day I get to take for Watch D.O.G. day) and I absolutely take every single one. And I tell my employees to do the same thing. We don't officially carry over, so I am adamant they use every single day.

I'm looking at two more Mondays and zero full weeks for the rest of the year and that is nice.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:27 pmIs there ongoing testing at this job, and are you willing to give up weed for this job?
Yes, and yes. Since I'm required to have a clearance I'm required to maybe pee in a cup every so often. I honestly don't care about it at this point. I went so long without doing it and had a bit of fun doing it while I was free that that was fun. I don't crave to be stoned all the time.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My company has random testing. One guy got fired for it but that was when he was hired. Worked here for 27 years and not a test. If they picked me I’d just tell them first.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My buddy is in a GS position without a clearance requirement and he does it all the time. He was bummed that I took a job that has random testing.

To be fair, I did a gummy with him one weekend. There was a giggle fest, but I feel asleep on the couch for a few hours. My experience isn't always amazing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:23 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:27 pmIs there ongoing testing at this job, and are you willing to give up weed for this job?
Yes, and yes. Since I'm required to have a clearance I'm required to maybe pee in a cup every so often. I honestly don't care about it at this point. I went so long without doing it and had a bit of fun doing it while I was free that that was fun. I don't crave to be stoned all the time.
It’s been rough at times to not be able to partake but I don’t miss it too much really.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:07 pm
I took 4 days in 10 months. I was new though. I just started a new job today actually. Data Analyst for a non-profit that serves the underprivileged. I get 17 days but it accumulates at 5.24 hours per pay period (biweekly). Plus 12 holidays, that's all I need.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Are they hiring more?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:32 pm Are they hiring more?
I think maybe actually because they're going hard in that direction, but it's hybrid and RI-based.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:56 pmI just started a new job today actually. Data Analyst for a non-profit that serves the underprivileged.
That sounds great, Loma. I hope it works out.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:07 am
I think maybe actually because they're going hard in that direction, but it's hybrid and RI-based.
I was just joking, but hey, thanks for the info!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 pm
Think about it, AB! A public relations job where you don't suffer concussions!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 pm
Think about it, AB! A public relations job where you don't suffer concussions!
Don't underestimate my ability to injure myself.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BTW, brian, as chronicled on this site, I do a LOT of "long haul" driving. I've often said that if I had to choose another career it would be pilot or long haul trucker.

All of that is to say, I'm fascinated by the path your on. I'd subscribe to that blog/newsletter.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:36 am BTW, brian, as chronicled on this site, I do a LOT of "long haul" driving. I've often said that if I had to choose another career it would be pilot or long haul trucker.

All of that is to say, I'm fascinated by the path your on. I'd subscribe to that blog/newsletter.
Same here. I don't do nearly as much long haul driving as I'd like though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This one-week intensive training has been great but the more I learn the more I learn how much I have to learn. I thinking of starting a diary once I get going since I’ll have time on my hands with the thought of one day maybe writing about all this. I need to buckle down and document the training process soon while it’s still fresh in memory.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:12 pm This one-week intensive training has been great but the more I learn the more I learn how much I have to learn. I thinking of starting a diary once I get going since I’ll have time on my hands with the thought of one day maybe writing about all this. I need to buckle down and document the training process soon while it’s still fresh in memory.
That's a great idea, I'm sure lots of people would be interested in reading the story. I
-Pruitt