CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by Johnnie »

All of my paperwork is done and I officially start my job on 18 December.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

that's awesome - congrats Johnnie :)
Johnnie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:45 pm All of my paperwork is done and I officially start my job on 18 December.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:45 pm All of my paperwork is done and I officially start my job on 18 December.
Damn, that's a long time to wait. Usually companies want you to start yesterday.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:56 am
Damn, that's a long time to wait. Usually companies want you to start yesterday.
It's a GS job on base, so I think it's a pay period thing for one, but also I have a planned trip that I'm taking 29 Nov-4 Dec (Philadelphia for a board game thing), so my options were 4 December (can't) or 18 December (can).

Honestly, the fact that they cleared me so quickly once my urinalysis test came back clean was the surprising thing according to the civilian hiring authority.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like I won’t be starting until next Monday bc of Thanksgiving. Not complaining too much. They also have to pay me my (piddling, relatively) trainee pay for not working next week.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Where I work they onboard and do orientation once a month. I think it's the 2nd Monday? Anyways, you could theoretically get an offer and then have to wait close to a month.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had two other people in my class last week and one guy FaceTimed with his girlfriend about 20 times a day (and that was just in the 10 or 11 hours of the day we were together). I can’t even imagine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My company on Friday lost yet another patent infringement case, to the tune of $31 million, which absolutely cratered our stock price.

NanoString stock unravels after losing $31M patent verdict to 10x Genomics
A federal jury has sided against NanoString in a patent infringement lawsuit lobbed by 10x Genomics concerning the company’s hardware for profiling the spatial distribution of RNA and protein expression across a tissue sample.

The Delaware district court awarded 10x Genomics about $31 million in total damages—including $25 million linked to lost profits and $6 million in royalty payments—though NanoString said it plans to appeal the decision.

10x Genomics first filed its suit in May 2021 alongside Prognosys Biosciences, the owner of seven patents at issue in the case. The companies claimed that NanoString’s GeoMx Digital Spatial Profiler infringed their exclusively licensed methods for mapping out the inner workings of tissues and cells.
And now we are having an "emergency" Town Hall meeting tomorrow morning. I was speculating over dinner tonight whether or not our CEO was going to be announcing that he'd been removed by the Board.

I keep saying that I'll stay there as long as my key card works to get me into the building, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer that might be.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I still don't know what any of that means but also still hoping for the best for you.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:45 am I still don't know what any of that means but also still hoping for the best for you.
Means that our main competitor has decided that lawsuits is their best strategy (we do have a better product), and unfortunately, they appear to have a legal leg to stand on regarding patents and whatnot

Which, to me, means someone in our company did not do their job when our products were being developed. And eventually, in my mind, that's gotta come back on our CEO and senior leadership.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's gotta cost the CEO his job. The only way around that is if he's already the new CEO and that shit happened under a different one.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:12 am
rass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:45 am I still don't know what any of that means but also still hoping for the best for you.
Means that our main competitor has decided that lawsuits is their best strategy (we do have a better product), and unfortunately, they appear to have a legal leg to stand on regarding patents and whatnot

Which, to me, means someone in our company did not do their job when our products were being developed. And eventually, in my mind, that's gotta come back on our CEO and senior leadership.
In those cases don't you avoid the judgement, get to settlement, merge and dominate the market while raising prices?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:24 pm That's gotta cost the CEO his job. The only way around that is if he's already the new CEO and that shit happened under a different one.
According to what the CEO said this morning...the timeline was:

- Company P applied for a patent for spatial biology in 2010
- 2015: My company files their patent application
- 2018: Our competitor buys the patents from Company P, which had gone dormant
- May, 2019: Competitor starts rewriting their patent claims to cover what we are doing
- Nov, 2019: Competitor gets seven patents
- Dec, 2019: My company gets 14 patents
- May, 2021: Competitor files lawsuit

So basically, they bought stagnant IP, modified the patent request knowing what our product was, and then sued us. Pretty shady shit, but it worked.

Not sure if its a good sign when the CEO is reassuring us that we aren't going out of business, or selling the furniture.

(Oh, and this guy has been the CEO for about 11 years now...so he's been around for all of this)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:49 pmSo basically, they bought stagnant IP, modified the patent request knowing what our product was, and then sued us. Pretty shady shit, but it worked.
If this is what really happened, then you folks should've won (and can still win on appeal).

It sounds to me like the CEO and the lawyers fucked up.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:23 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:49 pmSo basically, they bought stagnant IP, modified the patent request knowing what our product was, and then sued us. Pretty shady shit, but it worked.
If this is what really happened, then you folks should've won (and can still win on appeal).
Its what he said...but I'm sure he's in full-on CYA mode.
It sounds to me like the CEO and the lawyers fucked up.
What it sounds like to me as well.

Should make for a bit of awkwardness at our Friendsgiving tomorrow...the son of some of our friends just started working at 10X, the company that took us to court.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Been waiting to go out on the road for my training weeks and just got a call for my recruiter that they have a trainer from SLC about two hours away and am I ready now? Gotta love the trucking industry. So off to pack.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 am Been waiting to go out on the road for my training weeks and just got a call for my recruiter that they have a trainer from SLC about two hours away and am I ready now? Gotta love the trucking industry. So off to pack.
Good luck!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah. Good luck!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fortunately my trainer had to drop a load tomorrow morning in Vegas. But heading off at 8 am tomorrow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And yes despite its more common crass euphemistic meaning that’s what I plan to call it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A few weeks back I did a 3 day long Scaled Agile "ReleaseTrainEngineer" training class. My window for taking the certificate test is closing in a couple of weeks, so I've started to study for it. Last night, I did the "practice exam"...and discovered that it DOESN'T TELL YOU THE RIGHT ANSWERS after you finish.

What in the hell???? How am I supposed to learn from that?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm My wife hung up Christmas lights in my office at the house because it faces the street.

They're on a timer.

So, it sounds like a CD-ROM loading 24 hours a day.
They're back.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That remains unfortunate.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We switched to a timer that recognizes/begins at dusk and goes for as many hours as you set. Quiet.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Any one on here done any data digging on Salesforce?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm My wife hung up Christmas lights in my office at the house because it faces the street.

They're on a timer.

They're back.
Smart plugs are really inexpensive these days. Your sanity is worth the $5 to $18
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I refuse to check if I posted this last year (Rass) but I wouldn't be able to handle that. The lights in the little TV room either have to be on or off because I sit near the switch and any level of dimmed makes a very faint buzzing noise that drives me insane.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:58 am I refuse to check if I posted this last year (Rass) but I wouldn't be able to handle that. The lights in the little TV room either have to be on or off because I sit near the switch and any level of dimmed makes a very faint buzzing noise that drives me insane.
You may want to have that inspected. When I installed dimmer switches, I noticed one of them hums. Some research indicated that can be a sign of a fire hazard. I had an electrician in for another job and had him double check and he said it was fine, but buzzing can be a sign of dangerous wiring. Weird thing in another room, nobody can hear the buzzing, but if you take a video in that room with the dimmer on, you can hear it very loudly in the video.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:31 am Weird thing in another room, nobody can hear the buzzing, but if you take a video in that room with the dimmer on, you can hear it very loudly in the video.
THEY'RE HEEEEEEEERE
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:46 pm Any one on here done any data digging on Salesforce?
I've done reports from time to time in Salesforce at various jobs. Even did some automation scripting once, but that was probably 10 years ago.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:31 am
mister d wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:58 am I refuse to check if I posted this last year (Rass) but I wouldn't be able to handle that. The lights in the little TV room either have to be on or off because I sit near the switch and any level of dimmed makes a very faint buzzing noise that drives me insane.
You may want to have that inspected. When I installed dimmer switches, I noticed one of them hums. Some research indicated that can be a sign of a fire hazard. I had an electrician in for another job and had him double check and he said it was fine, but buzzing can be a sign of dangerous wiring. Weird thing in another room, nobody can hear the buzzing, but if you take a video in that room with the dimmer on, you can hear it very loudly in the video.
My insurance company just gave me a free device and subscription to "ting". https://www.tingfire.com/. It plugs in and monitors your electric for potential hazards. Plus comes with $1000 to remediate issues if ting finds it. I get neat reports and alerts when the power goes out (telling me based on others with the service how widespread the issue is).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:21 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:09 pm

They're on a timer.

They're back.
Smart plugs are really inexpensive these days. Your sanity is worth the $5 to $18
I am usually listening to a podcast or music, so it's not that big of a deal.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:26 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:46 pm Any one on here done any data digging on Salesforce?
I've done reports from time to time in Salesforce at various jobs. Even did some automation scripting once, but that was probably 10 years ago.
I'm trying to do something I know should be possible, but just not seeing how to make it happen.

Putting a spoiler here to not bore people:
[+] spoiler
Every instrument my company sells get an "asset" record. On that record is a "SW Version" field that shows the CURRENT SW Version.

Every time a customer calls with a complaint, a "complaint" record is created, which has a different "SW Version" field that shows the SW Version on the box when the complaint happened.

When I'm putting together a query to get the compliant records, it pulls the CURRENT SW version, not the version when the complaint happened. No idea why.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wish I could help. I use SalesForce everyday, but we have a dedicated operations team to support anything we might need report wise so outside of standard reports, I go to them.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:56 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:26 am
I'm trying to do something I know should be possible, but just not seeing how to make it happen.

Putting a spoiler here to not bore people:
[+] spoiler
Every instrument my company sells get an "asset" record. On that record is a "SW Version" field that shows the CURRENT SW Version.

Every time a customer calls with a complaint, a "complaint" record is created, which has a different "SW Version" field that shows the SW Version on the box when the complaint happened.

When I'm putting together a query to get the compliant records, it pulls the CURRENT SW version, not the version when the complaint happened. No idea why.
[+] spoiler
It's been a while since I've built something like that in Salesforce, but you'll need to set up a report that joins those two tables. Salesforce isn't much more than a thin UI on a database. Once you have the two tables (they'll probably join on AccountId or something like that), you should be able to choose the fields. I'm not sure what tricks to use to deal with two fields with the same name.

Have you tried this site? https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Got a division wide email this afternoon that our division's VP is leaving next week "for another opportunity".

I talked with my manager afterwards and he called it a "grass is always greener" kind of thing, which made me wonder if I'm standing in a bare patch.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The "circling the drain" feeling continues...my company laid off another ~50 people yesterday...this time from Customer Support and Marketing.

Not a good feeling...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This is bad...
NanoString (NSTG) received a notice from The Nasdaq Stock Market this week after failing to satisfy a continued listing rule of standard. It has until July 2, 2024 to regain compliance with the $1.00 per share minimum bid price listing requirement.
Circling the drain...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've now been at my new job for a few weeks and it's been decent.

Everyone's nice and I don't have to deal with any military bullshit. I can wear jeans! And have a beard! And long hair!

I just have to use time cards and have less time off when military members get family days on top of federal holidays.

But I do get to have a day off a week every other week because of the way I can set up my schedule. (Effectively, I take an 8 hour day and piece out an hour a day over 8 days to make up the time.)

Plus I have a view of the mountains from my desk. Which is so damn sweet.

But the pay....😐. Yeeeeeaaaaaaa, let's just say I'm glad I have a nice retirement from the military.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry to hear that DiS. Hope you can find something better soon!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto