Random Videos

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Videos

Post by Johnnie »

Holy fuck.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s one way to stop a bombing run.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This would have been an epic day at the AofG. Don't leave before the Jedi mindfuck at 1:40...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's like a dying crow. I liked the confused "Canada?"

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's incredible.

My wife loves these... Thanks!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Another successful changing of the guard
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude's channel popped up in my YouTube suggestions.

Here he is listening to Rage Against The Machine for the first time:

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That was pretty funny, and made me realize I take for granted how awesome Killing in the Name is. That was an anthem of rebellion in my prime music listening years, great to see it isn't one of those pop culture things you remember as being incredible but realize it's just that you were the right age at the time. I was thinking it was a shame he didn't realize what the song was about, but his moment of (mostly) realizing was awesome. Loved the line "White people get TWO points for this one," and "now I understand why White people like guitar so much." Played it for my son a few years ago, but it didn't resonate. He is all about the rap and hip hop, kids don't listen to rock anymore. At least my daughter is more into rap. Not sure she has heard this song, I'll add it to her soccer pump up music mix.

I meant to comment months ago when I saw the Woodstock '99 documentary, but why was the music of that era so angry and full of rage and rebellion? Looking at the kids at the event, they were balls of anger waiting for a reason to erupt, and that was prevalent in the culture at the time. Thinking about it, I can't imagine a generation with less reason to rebel. Our country was about as economically sound as we've ever been, there were no wars or cultural revolutions to fight, kids didn't have the stress of social media yet... Had to be the easiest time to grow up. Maybe teens/early twenties kids need something to rebel against, and in the absence of a reason to rebel, music filled the void? I mean, there has been metal, violent rap music and rebellious music all the time, but not nearly as much of the "pop" music was so full of anger than in the mid-late 90s.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 amI meant to comment months ago when I saw the Woodstock '99 documentary, but why was the music of that era so angry and full of rage and rebellion?
I honestly don't know the answer to that. And any documentary or nostalgia-based program I've seen seems to gloss over a specific dissection of the 'why.' It's just presented as the next iteration of what's popular.

I'm sure someone like Chuck Klosterman has written about it somewhere though. I'm no music historian myself but I'm trying to think back to my childhood.

I think if you chronicle music through the 70s and 80s almost none of it seemed to be angry at all. It all seems to have a collective fake, boppy, catchy vibe to it.

Then MTV gets going in the early 80s, continues that trend of 'popular music' through the end of the decade. Now acts from across the country get a platform and there's suddenly a segment of people being given a voice that didn't exist before? I feel like I'm on the right track, but missing context.

I definitely remember, with hip hop specifically, NWA had Fuck That Police and Ice-T had Cop Killer. Then 2 Live Crew forced the government into 'Parental Advisory' labels. That preceded what you're talking about. And acts like Rage Against The Machine made Killing in the Name of as a response to Rodney King's beating. At some point that sentiment hits white culture and you go from grunge to rock music and nu-metal. And the corporate MTV structure dictated that it gets play because it gets views.

So something like that. Maybe. I'm kinda jumping around, but it's hard to pinpoint. I just know that by the end of the 90s it crescendoed with Woodstock '99.

(But you have to factor the totality of culture. The government played nanny state a lot telling you what's right and wrong all while being the main perpetrator in creating division in the first place.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I watched 2 docs on the 99 Woodstock debacle. They both touched on the toxic atmosphere that was prevalent with the vast majority of the concert goers being late teen/early twenty white males. I think the HBO version did a much better job of explaining that many in the audience were REALLY pissed at what MTV had been doing over the past 3 or 4 years.

They had gone from airing grunge rock and other "harder" music into a steady stream of Boy Bands, Britney Spears and the rest of the pop music pablum... All that TRL stuff. And they were completely shutting out the Limp Bizkits, Korn, Rage etc.

So, they came in really angry and then you just start piling on all the rest of the very real slights and bullshit from the concert organizers. I think, by far, the biggest trigger was how fucking ridiculously expensive everything was, including water... When it was extremely unhealthy weather-wise. I think somewhere around 1000 people had to be treated for heat exhaustion/dehydration.

But, yeah, in the absence of any true cultural issue or organizing principle... White dudes were looking for something to be angry about and MTV and pop music were the target.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pm I watched 2 docs on the 99 Woodstock debacle. They both touched on the toxic atmosphere that was prevalent with the vast majority of the concert goers being late teen/early twenty white males. I think the HBO version did a much better job of explaining that many in the audience were REALLY pissed at what MTV had been doing over the past 3 or 4 years.

They had gone from airing grunge rock and other "harder" music into a steady stream of Boy Bands, Britney Spears and the rest of the pop music pablum... All that TRL stuff. And they were completely shutting out the Limp Bizkits, Korn, Rage etc.

So, they came in really angry and then you just start piling on all the rest of the very real slights and bullshit from the concert organizers. I think, by far, the biggest trigger was how fucking ridiculously expensive everything was, including water... When it was extremely unhealthy weather-wise. I think somewhere around 1000 people had to be treated for heat exhaustion/dehydration.

But, yeah, in the absence of any true cultural issue or organizing principle... White dudes were looking for something to be angry about and MTV and pop music were the target.
Well, ^that and the fact MTV really dictated to America what it listened to. Legit, good bands were shut-the-bleep-out of mainstream MTV in favor of the Nirvana clones that dictated to white, middle class youth they be angry and disaffected cuz the videos of guys with neck tattoos tell them to be. Then the spigot gets shutoff in favor of banal pop garbage. It was a movement without a cause.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So I asked Google the question and a top hit was this Reddit thread from 2 years ago. It has this well written comment in response:

(Spoiler tags because the comment is long.)
[+] spoiler
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The fact that MTV was on site and long before any of the rioting, they were getting pelted with garbage is pretty telling as to the overall vibe of the crowd.

That's a great post from the redditer, giving great background and context. I don't think the average 22 year old white dude had all that in his head, though. But it's a lot like the idiot traitors who showed up for J6. Interview those fucking morons and you're not gonna get 800 words decrying 30 years of overly liberal politics of the Democratic Party. They just wanna hang Pelosi... because we're ANGRY!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Personally, I think a lot of the Woodstock issue was just drunk, tired, overheated kids, pissed about the lack of water, etc. at the venue, looking to raise hell and nobody to rein them in.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:47 pm Personally, I think a lot of the Woodstock issue was just drunk, tired, overheated kids, pissed about the lack of water, etc. at the venue, looking to raise hell and nobody to rein them in.
There is no doubt that the guys who ran Woodstock '99 fucked up royally and were unprepared and left the concert goers living in disgusting conditions (the scenes of kids diving into sewage runoff from the port o potties was horrendous). They were also charging jacked up prices for water and the only free water source for washing was contaminated. I don't think the conditions were any better at the original Woodstock, but the mindset of the people was completely different. The music acts at Woodstock were protesting Vietnam and the culture of hippies was peace and love in the face of legitimate reasons to protest. '99 was a generation full of rage and rebellion without a cause. The bands attracted certain crowd (white Bros ready to rage), and the energy of the music led to the destruction of the grounds. I was more curious about the generational differences. My theory is kids that age need to rebel, and the kids growing up in the 90s really didn't have a cause to protest, so we gravitated towards angry music to let out the pent up need to rebel. If there was something to rebel against, I don't think we would have needed the angry music.

I really like Johnnie's thoughts and the quoted Redditor. The routes for music to become "mainstream" or "pop" opened up a bit. Before MTV, everything was about corporate radio play, and nothing remotely controversial was getting through. Then again, Elivs, the Beatles and Rolling Stones were controversial (Elvis gyrated his hips!!!). Early Beatles were total bubblegum pop, and the Olds of the day railed against them for having floppy hair. Kids could rebel against their parents for listening to Rock music (even soft shit) because it was the Devil's Music, and something completely new. MTV started out as a little bit counter culture and trying to seem like it was run by the cool kids, but eventually became the corporate establishment as far as the gatekeeper of music. A new video on MTV was more important that the new song played every hour on radio stations. When MTV bought into Grunge and harder rock music, and even metal and rap, it made "angry" music mainstream, so to some degree maybe it was corporate execs making the music mainstream and less about the generation of kids. OTOH, maybe it was just the network execs giving the kids what they wanted.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:30 am That was pretty funny, and made me realize I take for granted how awesome Killing in the Name is. That was an anthem of rebellion in my prime music listening years, great to see it isn't one of those pop culture things you remember as being incredible but realize it's just that you were the right age at the time. I was thinking it was a shame he didn't realize what the song was about, but his moment of (mostly) realizing was awesome. Loved the line "White people get TWO points for this one," and "now I understand why White people like guitar so much." Played it for my son a few years ago, but it didn't resonate. He is all about the rap and hip hop, kids don't listen to rock anymore. At least my daughter is more into rap. Not sure she has heard this song, I'll add it to her soccer pump up music mix.

I meant to comment months ago when I saw the Woodstock '99 documentary, but why was the music of that era so angry and full of rage and rebellion? Looking at the kids at the event, they were balls of anger waiting for a reason to erupt, and that was prevalent in the culture at the time. Thinking about it, I can't imagine a generation with less reason to rebel. Our country was about as economically sound as we've ever been, there were no wars or cultural revolutions to fight, kids didn't have the stress of social media yet... Had to be the easiest time to grow up. Maybe teens/early twenties kids need something to rebel against, and in the absence of a reason to rebel, music filled the void? I mean, there has been metal, violent rap music and rebellious music all the time, but not nearly as much of the "pop" music was so full of anger than in the mid-late 90s.
My youngest is in the pep band and they play a tune called Rage. It is a mixture of Killing in the Name and Bulls on Parade. I believe it may be the favorite song of the entire band. She has heard these songs multiple times because I would play them every so often in the car, but neither of my girls enjoy that music. But fucking hell does she love playing Rage in pep band. Nothing quite like a 14 year old girl jamming out to Rage on her Contra (marching tuba).
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

This group shows how Rage sounds being played by a brass band.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJMqr ... J4ZdfqZdeQ
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:42 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:47 pm Personally, I think a lot of the Woodstock issue was just drunk, tired, overheated kids, pissed about the lack of water, etc. at the venue, looking to raise hell and nobody to rein them in.
I really like Johnnie's thoughts and the quoted Redditor. The routes for music to become "mainstream" or "pop" opened up a bit. Before MTV, everything was about corporate radio play, and nothing remotely controversial was getting through. Then again, Elivs, the Beatles and Rolling Stones were controversial (Elvis gyrated his hips!!!). Early Beatles were total bubblegum pop, and the Olds of the day railed against them for having floppy hair. Kids could rebel against their parents for listening to Rock music (even soft shit) because it was the Devil's Music, and something completely new. MTV started out as a little bit counter culture and trying to seem like it was run by the cool kids, but eventually became the corporate establishment as far as the gatekeeper of music. A new video on MTV was more important that the new song played every hour on radio stations. When MTV bought into Grunge and harder rock music, and even metal and rap, it made "angry" music mainstream, so to some degree maybe it was corporate execs making the music mainstream and less about the generation of kids. OTOH, maybe it was just the network execs giving the kids what they wanted.
It was all about eyeballs and the music didn't matter. Just another cycle in video killing the radio star. And you know what is likely? Those people so pissed that Korn wasn't getting playtime were probably recording TRL and wanking it to the flavor of the day as is their right, nay, obligation.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Funny on its own, funnier after the edibles kick in.

Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This was great:

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

"Oh my days!"

Loved that. It's been popping up on my feed.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 am "Oh my days!"

The algorithm is good sometimes. Jolly popped up for me because they tried BBQ and I follow/watch several BBQ channels. And then this video popped up the other day and I figured I'd watch it and was glad I did.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:40 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:08 am "Oh my days!"

The algorithm is good sometimes. Jolly popped up for me because they tried BBQ and I follow/watch several BBQ channels. And then this video popped up the other day and I figured I'd watch it and was glad I did.
Thanks for sharing, those kids are pretty funny, and the Head Master is great. He gets so excited and loves everything, especially in the Thanksgiving food video.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One of the first things Americans learn in Britain is that what we call cookies, they call biscuits, eh?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Our backyard neighbors are Cameroon -> London and it took the kids like a year to finally synch up on snack terminology when one set of parents was offering to the others. Lots of things are cakes too that aren't cake here, like banana bread, but I think they're more right than we are.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:28 pm One of the first things Americans learn in Britain is that what we call cookies, they call biscuits, eh?
Thanks to the Instagram algorithm this person popped up and does all the U.S. vs U.K. stuff.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Holy shit.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

How the fuck does one get on top of a hot air balloon?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here's time-lapse videos from sailing regatta this on Saturday. 4 races...we went 1-5-3-1. Video from yesterday would have been more interesting...nutty day...big breeze (25-30). We ended up second overall for the regatta. I'm the one in the red foulie top, trimming the spinnaker on the downwind legs.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Salvador Dali designed the logo for Chupa Chups (the lollipops)
Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:28 pm Here's time-lapse videos from sailing regatta this on Saturday. 4 races...we went 1-5-3-1. Video from yesterday would have been more interesting...nutty day...big breeze (25-30). We ended up second overall for the regatta. I'm the one in the red foulie top, trimming the spinnaker on the downwind legs.

10 o'clock and 2 o'clock mister helmsman! :lol:

Seriously that looks awesome.
Noli Timere Messorem
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Dave - I know maybe only 3 of the words in that last sentence you wrote but that was an oddly compelling video, especially on a full screen. Very cool.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:28 pm Here's time-lapse videos from sailing regatta this on Saturday. 4 races...we went 1-5-3-1. Video from yesterday would have been more interesting...nutty day...big breeze (25-30). We ended up second overall for the regatta. I'm the one in the red foulie top, trimming the spinnaker on the downwind legs.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:56 pm Dave - I know maybe only 3 of the words in that last sentence you wrote but that was an oddly compelling video, especially on a full screen. Very cool.
Right? So which one is Dave?
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

man...if you don't know what a foulie is I'm sure as hell not gonna explain it to you...

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:59 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:56 pm Dave - I know maybe only 3 of the words in that last sentence you wrote but that was an oddly compelling video, especially on a full screen. Very cool.
Right? So which one is Dave?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This fucking fish has more artistic talent than billions of people.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

“If this doesn’t get him noticed, nothing will.”

Bitch there’s 75 billion of his friends making the same damn shapes
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Was he carving the sand with his dick? I'm impressed, and dare I say a little intrigued.
-Pruitt