Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Fast Food Thread: Not just about assholes anymore

Post by govmentchedda »

Amazing
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Zaxby’s is just a Garbage Pail Kids version of Raising Cane’s.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:08 pm Zaxby’s is just a Garbage Pail Kids version of Raising Cane’s.
My sister likes Zaxby's, so that tracks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I went to one of the most downtrodden and depressed Wendy's last night. It just didn't feel safe in there at all.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We stopped at a Zaxby's many years ago on a trip up 95... I wasn't impressed.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Are those a Southeastern thing? I’ve never actually seen a Zaxby’s in the wild.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think it started in Georgia and spread out from there. I do think they've headed out west a bit, but yes, primarily clustered in the SE.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

There's a few around here. I think I ate at one once, and it was basically fine but nothing special.

Raising Cane's has just moved into the area in the past few months and I haven't eaten there yet. We have a local upscale fried chicken place so I haven't felt the need to check out the new chain versions.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm There's a few around here. I think I ate at one once, and it was basically fine but nothing special.

Raising Cane's has just moved into the area in the past few months and I haven't eaten there yet. We have a local upscale fried chicken place so I haven't felt the need to check out the new chain versions.
Yeah the one I ate at was walking distance from our SLC terminal. Cane’s is the gold standard for chicken because that’s the only thing on the menu. At that point you better be doing something right.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:10 pm Are those a Southeastern thing? I’ve never actually seen a Zaxby’s in the wild.
They are a frequent advertiser during ACC sporting events.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:25 pm There's a few around here. I think I ate at one once, and it was basically fine but nothing special.

Cane's is excellent, imo.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brian have you had an Allsups burrito yet?!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:24 pm Brian have you had an Allsups burrito yet?!
.....aaaand I miss New Mexico again for the umpteenth time.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:24 pm Brian have you had an Allsups burrito yet?!
Funny, I lived there for 10 years and I don't recall ever having one.

ETA looks like you can mailorder them.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:46 am
Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:46 pm
Funny, I lived there for 10 years and I don't recall ever having one.

ETA looks like you can mailorder them.
I never had one either. But, then, again, I rarely buy food at gas stations.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:48 am
I never had one either. But, then, again, I rarely buy food at gas stations.
So this brings up a point that my wife and I discussed a lot when we first were together and in the road trip portion before kids or really even before marriage. First time we head out on a road trip I stop at a gas station to fill up and then asked if she wanted anything from inside. She looked at me like I had three heads. For her, gas stations were for gas and restroom. You did not under any circumstances get any snacks or drinks. I, however, grew up stopping for those things So yes, I have had my fair share of gas station food. My hometown was a bit of a food desert and the gas stations were usually manned by families and they always made food.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I feel like that "food desert" thing is a pretty good tell. We're up and down 95 and out 70 a lot and it would never occur to us to seek out a gas station for food. Like, ever.

We get our food and then go find the cheapest gas station. To the point that even if they have, like, a Wendy's inside of a gas station, I'm probably not going to eat there.

I was raised with the notion that gas stations are dirty/grimy and you only buy packaged snacks and soda from those spots. My wife is even more adamant on this front.

With that said, there's a Taqueria inside of Shell station that we were told is good and... It's fantastic! So, at this stage, if we get a tip off about a certain place, we'll try it out.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

don't you live in wawa country?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:04 am don't you live in wawa country?
Sorta. And I was introduced to that in B'more in college where it was a stand alone 7-eleven type deal without a gas station. That place made great sandwiches. Wawa is growing its footprint in MD, but it's not as omnipresent as it is in, say, PA. At any rate, it's not a spot we would choose to grab a meal from.

Slightly more prevalent around here is Royal Farms, which purports to have great fried chicken. We got that once from a recommendation and... Meh. The other big food-forward gas station is Sheetz and... nope, not gonna do it.

I'm not saying this is rational, btw. It's not even something we discuss. We just don't consider grabbing a meal from an establishment attached to a gas station while on road trips.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ye of little faith in the roller grill
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

To be clear, I don't genearlly get meals when on road trips at the gas station. But I do get chips and drinks and candy. And I will go to gas station here next to office because they have a good mexican food there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Northeasterner so grew up the same where anything you'd eat at a gas station was prepackaged but watching food and travel shows has made me really jealous of gas station takeout culture. Every once in a while you'll see BBQ pit setups further south into NJ or DE, but those are outside and seem independent of the gas station themselves.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:20 am To be clear, I don't genearlly get meals when on road trips at the gas station. But I do get chips and drinks and candy. And I will go to gas station here next to office because they have a good mexican food there.
Which one is the good food?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Some gas stations around here rent a corner to guys who use a trailer to haul a big drum grill and sell various meats. Quality varies but I can't head wrapped around huge open fire maybe 100 ft from a pump. City needs to dead that.

And Zaxby's is average and overpriced.

For some reason three race trac gas stations within 3 miles of me. QT is better.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 am
A_B wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:20 am To be clear, I don't genearlly get meals when on road trips at the gas station. But I do get chips and drinks and candy. And I will go to gas station here next to office because they have a good mexican food there.
Which one is the good food?
Clever girl.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 am Northeasterner so grew up the same where anything you'd eat at a gas station was prepackaged but watching food and travel shows has made me really jealous of gas station takeout culture. Every once in a while you'll see BBQ pit setups further south into NJ or DE, but those are outside and seem independent of the gas station themselves.
Yeah, I'll add awesome gas station spots to the tour when you Swampers meet in Houston.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:10 am
mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:21 am Northeasterner so grew up the same where anything you'd eat at a gas station was prepackaged but watching food and travel shows has made me really jealous of gas station takeout culture. Every once in a while you'll see BBQ pit setups further south into NJ or DE, but those are outside and seem independent of the gas station themselves.
Yeah, I'll add awesome gas station spots to the tour when you Swampers meet in Houston.
I'm generally in the Nonlinear camp here, but after seeing a video of two Brits trying everything in a Buc-ees, I'm intrigued. I have gotten food at WaWa's in a pinch, but I picture them more as a convenience store that sometimes has gas pumps. Maybe they all do, not really sure. "Gas station snacks" has become a recent tradition with my wife and daughter. We were at an away soccer tournament and she lost in the finals in overtime to a team coached by a former coach she wanted badly to beat. She was devastated, so as I filled up for the ride home, my wife let her go on a junk food shopping spree. Now my daughter will occasionally ask for gas station snacks on a road trip.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wawa shouldn't be in this discussion. Wawa was a convenience store/dairy/hoagie shop for decades before they put gas pumps in.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I want the non-chain stuff. "This family runs the gas station and also they serve the best tamales you'll ever have" or whatever.

(Also wawa subs suck shit. The bread is better than subway so they aren't the basement, but its awful and there's almost no excuse for eating one.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:26 am
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:10 am
I'm generally in the Nonlinear camp here, but after seeing a video of two Brits trying everything in a Buc-ees, I'm intrigued. I have gotten food at WaWa's in a pinch, but I picture them more as a convenience store that sometimes has gas pumps. Maybe they all do, not really sure. "Gas station snacks" has become a recent tradition with my wife and daughter. We were at an away soccer tournament and she lost in the finals in overtime to a team coached by a former coach she wanted badly to beat. She was devastated, so as I filled up for the ride home, my wife let her go on a junk food shopping spree. Now my daughter will occasionally ask for gas station snacks on a road trip.
Buc-ees has great snacks and the restrooms are always immaculate, but the food isn't all that great IMO. It's fine and not expensive, but others swear on the tacos and bbq sandwiches for the price.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I thought it expensive. Worth a stop and they have great tire pumps but everything about 1.5x what I would expect. Not exorbitant but pricey enough not to stop with the kids. OK bbq sandwiches. Great selection for a road trip.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Was in FL over the weekend/early part of the week and had my first Buc-ees experience. Have to say the sandwich I had was pretty good and their brand of diet soda I thought tasted better than Diet Coke.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Love's hotdogs.

There is a Marathon station in my little town that sells the best fucking Chinese food. So damn good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No but we passed about 50 Alksups. I’ll have to try next time I’m through NM.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There was an Allsups near Kirtland in the heart of the 'Warzone'. (The several blocks around the base, but south of Central Ave in ABQ.) Gassed up there once and grabbed a burrito. Really good, but I never went back because it was wicked unsafe.

In Deming, NM where I'd gas up on my trips between Tucson and ABQ, I'd stop at this Valero with really delicious tacos. So it's a suitable substitute.

Not sure if this gas station brand is everywhere, but QuikTrip typically has the cleanest convenient stores and decent food as well.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:12 pm

Cane's is excellent, imo.
Finally made it down to Cane's for lunch. Mostly to taunt my daughter who is still obsessed with trying it. Definitely not worth walking the 28 block round trip. Huge props for their efficiency in handling a long line and getting the food out quick, but with a 2-item menu (chicken fingers or chicken sandwich) it shouldn't be difficult. Chicken was average, not much flavor. Fries were crap but saved by a ton of salt. Sauce was ok, basically mayo, ketchup and black pepper, and I'm not big on mayo.

Sent my daughter a pic of the outside of the store and the food. She responded an hour after I finished eating asking me to bring some home for her. I told her I'm going to my firm's holiday party and I'm not carrying around a container of chicken and fries for 3 hours. She responded with, "that sounds like a you problem." Gotta love kids.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

about our review of it after trying it later this summer after we got home from colorado. there's one five minutes away. it was the first time we went and we haven't been back
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's my daughter's latest obsession.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:03 pm It's my daughter's latest obsession.
I may have said this already, but it was either a TikTok or Instagram thing. She was showing me a couple months ago that half of the things that popped into her feed were Cane's related. Curious how much they paid for that, but it's clearly working.
-Pruitt