Steubenville Rape

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Steubenville Rape

Post by howard test2 »

This story hits lots of buttons. My girlfriend at the time was a reporter who covered a similar story twenty years ago in Northern New Jersey (Glen Ridge, for you homies in the region old enough to remember). The addition of modern communication altered the dynamics of this situation. High school athletic stars, sexually assaulting a nearly passed-out drunken girl, witnessed by peers, covered up by adults, many parties blaming the victim. FF to 2012, mix in witnesses and participants tweeting the event, photographing the undressed girl, boasting on facebook and youtube video commentary. And just when the coverup was prevailing, Anonymous recovers erased social media evidence, broadcasts to the net, and spurs viral spread of the story, forcing authorities to actually investigate and prosecute the crimes committed.

I hope I didn't miss anything. Conviction today; more charges against more people loom, with planned grand jury session.

Judge finds two Ohio teens delinquent in rape of girl
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
temporassy
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Steubenville Rape

Post by temporassy »

Wasn't the victim in Glen Ridge mentally disabled?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dan Wetzel's Yahoo piece on this is really good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
howard test2
Jackie Treehorn

Post by howard test2 »

govmentchedda wrote:Dan Wetzel's Yahoo piece on this is really good.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool ... 58178.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"…and, you ground into a World Series ending double play"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard test2 wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Dan Wetzel's Yahoo piece on this is really good.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool ... 58178.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. I was on the mobile at the time.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

That story has pretty much every single thing I hate about humanity all rolled up into one Ohio clusterfuck.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Test Ride the Sybian
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Test Ride the Sybian »

Onion reported this story 2 years ago. Sort of.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

This is a good name for an MLS team
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shrew
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Shrew »

I remember the Glen Ridge case well. As some of you know I have two sisters that are handicapped so it hit close to home. It was also on the newly minted Court TV so my Dad was doubly glued to the TV. Every so often in a group home or institutional setting female gets knocked up and in the days before genetic testing it was never clear if it was another resident or a counselor. Mama and Papa Shrew debated the merits of forced sterilization of my sisters for this very reason.

The difference in Glen Ridge was that the girl was pretty highly functioning and could accurately describe what happened. Those sick fucks used a broomstick and a bat. The poor girl just wanted to be liked and I got the impression that even during the trial she didn't really want to get the boys in trouble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Ridge_rape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Glad to hear that a few assholes who were threatening the girl in the Steubenville rape are facing prosecution.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... ictim?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

ShrewToo wrote: Glad to hear that a few assholes who were threatening the girl in the Steubenville rape are facing prosecution.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... ictim?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to see they were paying such close attention to a case where the accused sunk themselves with a comprehensive electronic paper trail.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

ShrewToo wrote:Glad to hear that a few assholes who were threatening the girl in the Steubenville rape are facing prosecution.
"Let me be clear. Threatening a teenage rape victim will not be tolerated. If anyone makes a threat verbally or via the internet, we will take it seriously, we will find you, and we will arrest you,"
If they take this hard a line on threatening, I can only imagine how hard they come down on an actual rapist. Oh wait.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So here's a clearly logical reason for appeal.

Steubenville Rapist to Appeal Because His 'Brain Isn't Fully Developed'

Wow. Just fucking wow. I know not all lawyers are evil (just the overwhelming majority), but Christ on a fucking cracker, are you kidding me?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.