Tipping

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Tipping

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:49 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:15 pm I've said this before, but there is hardly any single action that cements my position on a person more resolutely than learning their tipping habits.
My father has about a million bad traits that piss me off these days, but God bless him, he is a generous tipper, for all the right reasons. So at least he has that going for him, which is nice.

A lot of times my wife and I will go out to dinner with another couple and each put down a credit card. Usually the other husband and I will agree on a tip so we each give the same amount. That backfired on me recently, when we ate for the first time with one couple and the other guy had already finished signing his tab and told me how much he determined we should each tip. Unfortunately it was woefully lacking and would have been embarrassing if not insulting. My wife sized it up and silently dropped a makeup amount on the table as we departed.
My father is somewhat the opposite. Generally no major bad traits, but is a horrible tipper.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Do valets pool tips? If so the ones at this event I’m at are going to make a killing. Regular hotel traffic and then 1600 attendees.

Do you tip on drop off and pickup? I usually do.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:28 pm Do valets pool tips? If so the ones at this event I’m at are going to make a killing. Regular hotel traffic and then 1600 attendees.

Do you tip on drop off and pickup? I usually do.
For free valet, I'll usually tip $3 in and out. Most people only tip on the pickup though (for that reason -- at least in Vegas -- valets will pool their tips).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had a complimentary valet pass due to event sponsorship. I tipped five each way because that’s the cash I had.

As I was waiting For for my car afterwards I heard one of the valets talking about it being a big night because of the event. Good for them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Traveling for work today for a 3 1/2 week stay at a hotel. My company has made arrangements to handle tipping for valets. Still going to get the awkward feeling every time, though.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A very pretty girl (young lady! woman!) handed me my takeout order last night and said "here you go, my love" and I didn't have the $30,000 I wanted to give her :(
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I believe in these circumstances you're supposed to wait outside the place long before it opens with a $20 in your hand and keep asking every worker who arrives if "the (brown/blonde/black/whatever) haired girl is coming in soon".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.