Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:I still have no idea what I think of the movie. I either liked it less because I'm a big fan or I only tolerated it because I'm a big fan.
I loved it = I'm a bigger fan than you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

These were my takeaways ...

1. Matt is just as boring and normal as I expected, in a good way.

2. The Devendorfs probably wish they were in a cooler, louder band.

3. The Dessners are awkward and creepy.

4. Tom is annoying and his pretend emotional scenes sabotaged the movie. I may feel this way because I'm an older brother who was much better at Little League.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:These were my takeaways ...

1. Matt is just as boring and normal as I expected, in a good way.

2. The Devendorfs probably wish they were in a cooler, louder band.

3. The Dessners are awkward and creepy.

4. Tom is annoying and his pretend emotional scenes sabotaged the movie. I may feel this way because I'm an older brother who was much better at Little League.
I love all of the members of the band as if they were my own children, but yes, the Dessners are awkward and creepy. I'm a sucker for music docs though. I watched an hour of Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll the other night, even though all Chuck Berry songs sound the same.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I really like music docs too, so I expected to love this. Its possible that the fun part is usually seeing what they're like when not music-ing but this time I kind of already knew going in.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, I doubt I would really like music docs if they were all 60% brother-of-musician doc, 40% music doc.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Also, I doubt I would really like music docs if they were all 60% brother-of-musician doc, 40% music doc.
Have you watched The History of the Eagles? My god, it's great. Long as hell, if you watch the whole thing, but great. And, the concert that they show at the end was filmed the day I was born.

ETA - I couldn't stand the Eagles, especially "Hotel California", prior to watching and I still loved the movie. I even started to like their songs a bit.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really hate the fucking Eagles.

and maybe two others here care, but The Wedge from 7/20 in Chicago is en fuego.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I consistently listen to my old Tom Petty records over the years, but I admit taking him for granted a bit. I've been listening to him as a DJ on his Sirius Satellite station, and he is just so cool. As well, his playlists are awesome for my tastes, just the right mix of old blues, 60s rock and roll and soul. My only complaint is he plays almost no Tom Petty (an occasional Mudcrutch tune, or a cut from this upcoming album.) I listen to this station 90% of the time I'm on the sirius; Little Steven's Underground Garage channel has taken a back seat.

ETA: Tom Petty's Deep Cuts: Sirius 312
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "Wildflowers" is a perfect record.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The early stuff was integral to my rocker side of my life in my early-mid 20s. Just essential, when we were thin, cocky and had lots of hair. Damn the Torpedos spun as often as any Parker, Costello or Springsteen disc in my college apartment in Isla Vista in 77-80, and I saw them play at least a half dozen times (plus we promoted a show on their tour behind Your Gonna Get It, iirc and judging from my t-shirt collection from that era.)

The biggest taking for granted aspect for me is he kept rolling out hits and excellent albums as the decades themselves rolled along. And I just expected that, without being nearly as impressed or excited as I had been in youth. Like Neil Young--of course that new album is excellent, once I finally get around to listening, maybe not for a couple years after release.

In sports discussions, such as the Jeter, we consider performers who despite tremendous recognition and accolades remain underrated, (or the flip side, despite outsized achievement and talent are somehow overrated.) Petty has tremendous fame, recognition, awards, love of millions of fans and my individual love, respect and regular enjoyment of his music over four decades. But I stop and consider, it feels like it isn't enough, considering how fucking great all that music is.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:I watched an hour of Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll the other night, even though all Chuck Berry songs sound the same.
Is that your way of telling me I should watch the The National doc?

Hey Rush, I'll listen to The Wedge.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:I watched an hour of Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll the other night, even though all Chuck Berry songs sound the same.
Is that your way of telling me I should watch the The National doc?

Hey Rush, I'll listen to The Wedge.
Unintentional Veiled Sybian Dig!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm not a fan of newer country music mostly because I freaking hate "bro country"...I want my country drinking songs to be about lost love and lost jobs and running from the revenuer, not tapping a keg and partying on the tailgate. Which is why i kinda love this song--two women making direct fun of the whole Bro Country phenomenon

New Yorker has an article about it as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:I'm not a fan of newer country music mostly because I freaking hate "bro country"...I want my country drinking songs to be about lost love and lost jobs and running from the revenuer, not tapping a keg and partying on the tailgate. Which is why i kinda love this song--two women making direct fun of the whole Bro Country phenomenon
Cool stuff. I had no idea "Bro Country" was a thing. Funny and so foreign to me as a lifelong Northeasterner. The whole "git in my pickup truck, 'cuz I got a fifth of Southern Comfort." Wow, a $5 bottle of hooch is quite the tempting come on. SoCo and Labatts Blue is the taste of a hangover to me, as dollar SoCo shots was a big thing in college.

In the 42 yo thread, where I said early 20s look like kids, that was before I saw this video. The girls are 18, but the hot one looks pretty damned good. I don't normally go for the Heffner cheesy blonde with a ton of makeup and spray tan look, but she is pretty damned hot.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Looking forward to checking out the new Tom Petty as well as the new Jenny Lewis today. New Spoon next week!!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My new Petty came in yesteday's mail (joined the fan club to get decent seats to his show here in the fall). Haven't listened to it yet. Did you see Steven Hyden's write up of Petty in Grantland? Good stuff. Also, there's a nice Hyden curated "Petty deep tracks Spotify playlist" linked there. I really like Down South on that list, and I'd never heard it before.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Spoon isn't quite Hold Steady level for me, but I really don't get them. I hate not getting bands I should get.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Spoon isn't quite Hold Steady level for me, but I really don't get them. I hate not getting bands I should get.
It took me a while too which is surprising given the Austin connection. Saw them at ACL a few years ago and I was hooked.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I really didn't like their last album. I really like the two prior to that one.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:Looking forward to checking out the new Tom Petty…
They have been playing three cuts on his Sirius Satellite channel (312), and they are friggin' great! I guess I'll go ahead and order it today. And check that Spotify as soon as I get home from work.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote:The girls are 18, but the hot one looks pretty damned good. I don't normally go for the Heffner cheesy blonde with a ton of makeup and spray tan look, but she is pretty damned hot.
Indeed. She's super hot. Is it ironic that she made this song, but surely a huge part of her ability to make a large budget music video at the age of 18 is her super hotness?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
mister d wrote:Spoon isn't quite Hold Steady level for me, but I really don't get them. I hate not getting bands I should get.
It took me a while too which is surprising given the Austin connection. Saw them at ACL a few years ago and I was hooked.
I didn't really like Spoon that much until I saw them live a few weeks ago. Definitely a band you can't judge based on their albums. Though I went back and listened to their albums and found I liked them a lot more after the concert.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:
The Sybian wrote:The girls are 18, but the hot one looks pretty damned good. I don't normally go for the Heffner cheesy blonde with a ton of makeup and spray tan look, but she is pretty damned hot.
Indeed. She's super hot. Is it ironic that she made this song, but surely a huge part of her ability to make a large budget music video at the age of 18 is her super hotness?
Absolutely. I was thinking that in order for the video not to be hypocritical, the girls should have gone with little or no makeup. The outfits weren't overly sexy, but I would have downplayed it. But, you need sexy to sell, so there you have it.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Absolutely. I was thinking that in order for the video not to be hypocritical, the girls should have gone with little or no makeup. The outfits weren't overly sexy, but I would have downplayed it. But, you need sexy to sell, so there you have it.
Wouldn't that run the risk of "durrr you dont like it cause your ugly durrr" backlash from the people they (ostensibly) want to reflect?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The bro country recipe is perfect for mass consumption. Just make it catchy.

There's so many terrible country songs out there that are really, really easy to sing along too.

(ETA: Just as a posted this the first video popped up on the music I'm listening to)

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

good to see afghan whigs out with new shit. they tend to be a one-trick-pony, but that's a good fucking trick.

for some reason, it made me want to listen to some tv on the radio.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So the wife and I go see The Hold Steady last night at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas and who is there but SpongeLikeNinja and his wife and another couple all down from Oregon. Crazy surprise. Thought I was hallucinating for a minute. Good times were had by all -- THS puts on a great rock show.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

cerrano wrote:for some reason, it made me want to listen to some tv on the radio.
New album in October!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got free tix to Deer Tick at Brooklyn Bowl tonight. Who's in?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Got free tix to Deer Tick at Brooklyn Bowl tonight. Who's in?
I'm trying to avoid deer tick from now on, thanks.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

cerrano wrote:good to see afghan whigs out with new shit. they tend to be a one-trick-pony, but that's a good fucking trick.

for some reason, it made me want to listen to some tv on the radio.
The first four songs of their new album are absolutely fantastic. Some of the other tracks aren't that good, but the first four more than make up for it.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can be there. Drinks on me...you got mileage points to get me there, right??
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote:
I can be there. Drinks on me...you got mileage points to get me there, right??
My buddy just saw them at the Short's Festival in MI. Pretty good show from what I've heard of his recording (he's a taper)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So, did you see what's at Brooklyn Bowl on 9/20? I bet you'd pay me not to have to go!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:
So, did you see what's at Brooklyn Bowl on 9/20? I bet you'd pay me not to have to go!
Ha, nice! Sounds a win-win if you want to see the place. I didn't read close enough but I assume it's free cover. If not I can almost definitely guarantee you free tix.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I paid for tickets to see them and Langhorne Slim in a tiny room earlier this year and couldn't make it. Still kicking myself.