Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:33 am Put me in the camp of folks who really like the new Jason Isbell album. I wouldn't necessarily say it's his best album, but it's certainly close. The song King of Oklahoma reminds me a lot of Bruce Springsteen. It would fit right in on Nebraska.
Did anyone else think that it was Neil Young singing Miles?

Or think Vestavia Hills really sounds like Too Long in the Wasteland by James McMurtry?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Not familiar with the first but the second one I kind of see now that you point it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:17 pm Peter Gabriel is so great. Put both Secret World Live and So on recently and they completely hold up. Really want to see him on this summer/fall tour but he comes nowhere near Florida and I'm pretty sure my travel card is full.
Found his melty face and wet car albums used at the record store a couple weeks ago and had the same thought. Haven't pulled the trigger yet on Denver but likely will.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:17 pm Peter Gabriel is so great. Put both Secret World Live and So on recently and they completely hold up. Really want to see him on this summer/fall tour but he comes nowhere near Florida and I'm pretty sure my travel card is full.
Found his melty face and wet car albums used at the record store a couple weeks ago and had the same thought. Haven't pulled the trigger yet on Denver but likely will.
Biko is such a great song and really powerful live.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:56 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:33 am Put me in the camp of folks who really like the new Jason Isbell album. I wouldn't necessarily say it's his best album, but it's certainly close. The song King of Oklahoma reminds me a lot of Bruce Springsteen. It would fit right in on Nebraska.

Or think Vestavia Hills really sounds like Too Long in the Wasteland by James McMurtry?
I haven't listened to much James McMurtry. I need to remedy that. I recently learned that we went to the same high school.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:38 am

I haven't listened to much James McMurtry. I need to remedy that. I recently learned that we went to the same high school.
McMurtry’s voice is a bit flat, but imho, nobody writes better lyrics. Going to see him again in July.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:38 am

I really only know one album of his - Too Long in the Wasteland. But that one is really good.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Unless your name is Giff, you can probably disregard, but hey Giff...new Liv-Rod single dropped today and of course it's fire.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:41 pm Unless your name is Giff, you can probably disregard, but hey Giff...new Liv-Rod single dropped today and of course it's fire.

I stayed up with my oldest last night to listen to it as soon as we could at 11:00pmCT. And of course I agree!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

OK, so what the hell is Miles about?

The choruses seem to be about distance that's grown between the singer and his daughter. (Which is so brutal I had to call my daughter in the middle of listening to it.) But a couple of the verses really sound like he's singing about a lost wife or lover.

Someone help me out.

(Maybe it's just both?)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:46 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:41 pm Unless your name is Giff, you can probably disregard, but hey Giff...new Liv-Rod single dropped today and of course it's fire.

I stayed up with my oldest last night to listen to it as soon as we could at 11:00pmCT. And of course I agree!
This version is amazing. I love seeing young pop stars who are actually super talented.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I finally listened to the Luke Combs cover of Fast Car. I don't know anything about this guy, but I think he's a bro country dude, right? I was surprised and impressed to hear that he did a straight cover without changing any words, including "I work in the market as a checkout girl." I was certain he would change the gender. Kudos to him for not. It's funny sometimes how small things like that can have a positive impact.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:53 am I finally listened to the Luke Combs cover of Fast Car. I don't know anything about this guy, but I think he's a bro country dude, right? I was surprised and impressed to hear that he did a straight cover without changing any words, including "I work in the market as a checkout girl." I was certain he would change the gender. Kudos to him for not. It's funny sometimes how small things like that can have a positive impact.
I think he's less bro country than a lot of people. A couple of songs im sure are in that vein, but he seems pretty legit. Some really good love songs, I think.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Tyler Childers is genuine country.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:53 am I finally listened to the Luke Combs cover of Fast Car. I don't know anything about this guy, but I think he's a bro country dude, right? I was surprised and impressed to hear that he did a straight cover without changing any words, including "I work in the market as a checkout girl." I was certain he would change the gender. Kudos to him for not. It's funny sometimes how small things like that can have a positive impact.
I still hate it but you’re right in that it’s at least respectful to the original version. It just didn’t need to be done.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This is me about this song. It’s been my second favorite DMB song for 25 years now but I’ve always thought “what the fuck is he singing about?” all these years.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I usually have some background music going in the office and lately have been using the Sirius XM site. I've been digging the Grateful Dead Channel. Never listed to them much, but they do so much different stuff that I don't feel like it's the same shit all the time. For example, I like Jimmy Buffet Radio, too, when chilling outside but it definitely gets old. Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ded Talk.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

KEXP has been doing "6 Degrees of Separation" week, where they link all the songs together by artist, theme, samples, producer, whatever. Its been great...and today they are focusing on Stevie Wonder, since its the 50th anniversary of the release of "Innervisions". Great stuff.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Eric Bibb is a really good bluesman. His new album is absolutely top notch.

Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pretty sure that started here (if this is common knowledge, ignore me):
Hyden: I don’t know if you have noticed this, but most of your albums have come out in May, June, or July. And that’s perfect, because your music seems best suited for late spring and early summer.

Isbell: Yeah, that’s what we do.

So it’s on purpose?

All of this is on purpose.

Wow.

I own the label, so all this stuff is intentional.

I definitely would not want a new Jason Isbell record in January.

Wouldn’t that feel weird? January’s already sad enough.

I want to be outside when your music is on.

I’m putting these out when people can go listen to them in the pool. Hopefully where they are will help temper some of the sadness of the songs.

For me Weathervanes is an example of what I call patio music. You’re setting yourself up to be king of the patios and barbecues this summer.

There you go. You know you’re about to have something to eat so you don’t get too awfully sad about the music.

There’s a hole inside you, fill it with barbecue and Jason Isbell songs.

Yes, exactly.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I went to buy that for a friend but it was on preorder and not shipping until well after his bday. So instead I bought two other shirts, one for him and one for me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:56 am I went to buy that for a friend but it was on preorder and not shipping until well after his bday. So instead I bought two other shirts, one for him and one for me.
Happy birthday, I bought myself this shirt in your name.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Not my birfin' day, boss.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Al Green released his first single since 2018...a cover of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day"....

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not complaining but that song (Reeds version) is gonna be in my head the rest of the day.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Holy smokes Sigur Rós has a new album out today?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Their catalog is intimidating (somewhere in the neighborhood of 120-130 full LPs so this beginners guide to Guided By Voices to celebrate their 40th anniversary is helpful.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

New Old Crow Medicine Show is good, but "Hell they ain't even old timey" on this one.

Also got ads showing up that indicate Bare Naked Ladies have a new album coming out in a few weeks.....who knew.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ll always love OCMS just for Wagon Wheel.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ll always hate OCMS just for Wagon Wheel.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:32 am I’ll always hate OCMS just for Wagon Wheel.
Giff, I generally like your taste. But, it’s a great song, dude.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I was dining with some bluegrass cats one night and one of them went on a rant about how Wagon Wheel was a total noob jam. I, myself, harbor no opinion on the matter.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:50 am I was dining with some bluegrass cats one night and one of them went on a rant about how Wagon Wheel was a total noob jam. I, myself, harbor no opinion on the matter.
Well, imho, a song doesn’t have to be technically difficult to be good. But I can understand how really good players would disagree.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:46 am
Giff wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:32 am I’ll always hate OCMS just for Wagon Wheel.
Giff, I generally like your taste. But, it’s a great song, dude.
Any song sucks when you constantly hear middling singers attempt it anytime you're at a place with someone who has a guitar. There's always a mix of groans and cheers when it starts. Admittedly, the cheers are louder.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I made a deal with a dad here where I'd listen to Isbell's "Southeastern" and he'd listen to "Boxer". Its not my thing, but I didn't mind it. I think in the past I just couldn't get into him because I'd listen to a one-off single and the sound just isn't my sound. Committing to the album made it easier to appreciate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.