Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:03 pmI Really like the Silversun Pickups song, need to give them a listen too.
You already did!

(They're one of the few bands where I'll commit to the "it all sounds the same" bit.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

I'm very late to the party, but thanks to Justin Hawkins, I'm digging the Knower/Louis Cole stuff. I'm Tight!

Also, thanks to my F.i.L., I became a convert to Wagner after seeing the Ring Cycle in Seattle years ago (he sang in the opera chorus). Lately I've been falling asleep to various recordings of Gotterdammerung.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:18 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:03 pmI Really like the Silversun Pickups song, need to give them a listen too.
You already did!

(They're one of the few bands where I'll commit to the "it all sounds the same" bit.)
Yeah, I don't think there's any need for a Silversun Pickups deep dive. I kind of remember one or two other songs on Carnavas that I liked, and that was it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:41 pmApparently they're doing some Wu-Tang tribute with the Empire State Building (I imagine black and yellow?) so I might drive up to the rich people neighborhood and see what it looks like tonight.
Stupid trees.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Another "driving" song.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:03 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:41 pmApparently they're doing some Wu-Tang tribute with the Empire State Building (I imagine black and yellow?) so I might drive up to the rich people neighborhood and see what it looks like tonight.
Stupid trees.

Turns out when you light something in yellow and black, you just light something up in yellow.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I just did a couple of long days of driving with my oldest daughter (LA - Seattle) where she had control of the music most of the time.

Wow....there are a lot of bands who sound like the Lumineers out there these days.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pat Finnerty takes down the Jason Aldean "try that in a small town"...

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What might be the Swamp's position on Noah Kahan? My friend is obsessed with him and sent me a list of like 20 songs to listen to and it all seems overwhelming and I'm probably not gonna do it, but just want to make sure I'm not missing out anything really cool. I listened to the Sticks one and it's a well written tune but a bit twangy? Is it a lot of that?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love “Alma Mater” by Bleachers so much and yet still can’t help thinking it’s almost like something some music AI bot would spit out if you asked it to make a Bon Iver song
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:05 pm What might be the Swamp's position on Noah Kahan? My friend is obsessed with him and sent me a list of like 20 songs to listen to and it all seems overwhelming and I'm probably not gonna do it, but just want to make sure I'm not missing out anything really cool. I listened to the Sticks one and it's a well written tune but a bit twangy? Is it a lot of that?
Is your friend a 17 year old girl? My oldest and some of her friends love him, dating back a couple of years at least, when I think he was still just a social media phenom. She could (and does) listen to music I dislike listening to more.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

one thing that's really difficult for me in middle age is to not be overwhelmed with how much music is "out there" and how much of it has grown huge and I'll never know. Noah Kahan I'd never heard of before September when my daughter started sending me daily links to his music, demanding I listen to him and the "Stick Season" album. I'm sure it's the influence of my daughter but I really like the album quite a bit - it's not usually my first choice of genre and I almost never pay attention to lyrics in general (unless they're obvious in a good or - more often - terrible way) but a lot of his hit me.

Also as perhaps a quick reaction to said daughter's initial struggles in college (things got better) I bought the fam 4 tickets to see him 5 hours away on a midweek May night.

Apparently tiktok has helped make him *huge*. I was expecting a little theater but this is a large outdoor shed and tickets are fking EXPENSIVE.

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:05 pm What might be the Swamp's position on Noah Kahan? My friend is obsessed with him and sent me a list of like 20 songs to listen to and it all seems overwhelming and I'm probably not gonna do it, but just want to make sure I'm not missing out anything really cool. I listened to the Sticks one and it's a well written tune but a bit twangy? Is it a lot of that?
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:56 am one thing that's really difficult for me in middle age is to not be overwhelmed with how much music is "out there" and how much of it has grown huge and I'll never know. Noah Kahan I'd never heard of before September when my daughter started sending me daily links to his music, demanding I listen to him and the "Stick Season" album. I'm sure it's the influence of my daughter but I really like the album quite a bit - it's not usually my first choice of genre and I almost never pay attention to lyrics in general (unless they're obvious in a good or - more often - terrible way) but a lot of his hit me.

Also as perhaps a quick reaction to said daughter's initial struggles in college (things got better) I bought the fam 4 tickets to see him 5 hours away on a midweek May night.

Apparently tiktok has helped make him *huge*. I was expecting a little theater but this is a large outdoor shed and tickets are fking EXPENSIVE.

Rass: nailed it :D
rass wrote: 17 year old girl
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She has tickets with some friends to see him at MSG (I think) next spring/summer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

There is one Kahan song on my daughters drive to practice playlist. Not sure what song, but it was one that I asked who sang it because I liked it. Usually when I ask it’s because it’s horrible.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ah...he has a 16 and a 15 year old daughter, so that explains it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Stick Season stuck in my head now
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm at the point with several bands where if they're putting out new music, I'm just happy if it doesn't suck. The Black Crowes' new one passes the admittedly low bar.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Perhaps it's my affinity for the Bacharach/Warwick song catalog, but anyone else kinda loving this jam?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The latest Mister D "it really feels like this band is going to get big": Middle Kids
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

too easy "..."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My Twitter tonight was completely dominated by the Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs rendition of Fast Car and I love it. It's rare that we can all come together to be wowed by a particularly spectacular piece of art.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:41 pm My Twitter tonight was completely dominated by the Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs rendition of Fast Car and I love it. It's rare that we can all come together to be wowed by a particularly spectacular piece of art.
Good for her. I loved her debut. Played it a lot delivering pizza. IMO yet another casualty of the wake of Nirvana.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:44 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:41 pm My Twitter tonight was completely dominated by the Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs rendition of Fast Car and I love it. It's rare that we can all come together to be wowed by a particularly spectacular piece of art.
Good for her. I loved her debut. Played it a lot delivering pizza. IMO yet another casualty of the wake of Nirvana.
Yeah, I listened to that album a lot too. It's not just Fast Car.

And Twitter is still going strong on it today. I haven't seen anything other than love for the performance - and from a wide variety of accounts that I follow (and don't follow too).
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:10 pm HBO is releasing a documentary about Jason Isbell filmed by Sam Jones on April 7.
Not entirely shocking, especially if you watched that doc:

Jason Isbell Files for Divorce from Amanda Shires After Nearly 11 Years of Marriage
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think they both admit to being a little fucked up for sure. The doc was pretty raw about that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guess who had “if we were vampires” come on in his shuffle at lunch?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm Guess who had “…vampires” come on … his … lunch?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals... Both parties HAVE to be in on the ruse.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:45 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm Guess who had “…vampires” come on … his … lunch?
Things someone who works night shift might utter on a really bad evening.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm Guess who had “if we were vampires” come on in his shuffle at lunch?
Still better than mayo.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just heard the Deftones cover of Jawbox’s “Savory” for the first time. Not bad.

(For Your Special Sweetheart by Jawbox might be the most underrated album ever. They should have been huge.)0
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Beyonce's new country song is pretty good. No cap.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I love it if for no other reason it's pissing off the right people.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’m now where Romero was a year ago. Ready to start streaming my music. We’re doing a trial with Apple Music, but they don’t have a duo plan - only a family plan, which is two bucks more per month than Spotify’s duo plan. Anybody got an argument why I shouldn’t go with Spotify?

Also, I do have some extensive playlists on Apple - is there an easy, fast way to copy them over to Spotify?
EdRomero wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm I've finally decided to pay for streaming music. Amazon Prime Music changed a lot and now sucks. I've had a free Spotify account forever and that seems to be the easist choice to simply upgrade. I would just like o hear songs on demand which Prime Music doesn't do anymore and get back to listening to complete albums (I said this with vinyl but that never happened). Any suggestions to go with something other than Spotify or are there any discounts/deals I can take advantage of? (I don't use Apple)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:55 pm I’m now where Romero was a year ago. Ready to start streaming my music. We’re doing a trial with Apple Music, but they don’t have a duo plan - only a family plan, which is two bucks more per month than Spotify’s duo plan. Anybody got an argument why I shouldn’t go with Spotify?

Also, I do have some extensive playlists on Apple - is there an easy, fast way to copy them over to Spotify?
EdRomero wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm I've finally decided to pay for streaming music. Amazon Prime Music changed a lot and now sucks. I've had a free Spotify account forever and that seems to be the easist choice to simply upgrade. I would just like o hear songs on demand which Prime Music doesn't do anymore and get back to listening to complete albums (I said this with vinyl but that never happened). Any suggestions to go with something other than Spotify or are there any discounts/deals I can take advantage of? (I don't use Apple)
If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably switch to Apple. I think they pay a lot more, relatively, to the artists than Spotify does.

Yup, only Tidal pays more.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah I’m lazy too, but justify it by buying tshirts, vinyl, and concert tix from artists I fanboi on. Which is still the best way to put $ in their pocket regardless of streaming service.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've had Spotify Family for several years now. Share it with my boys (and technically my wife, but she doesn't use it). Never really shopped around. I mostly like Spotify.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:22 pm I've had Spotify Family for several years now. Share it with my boys (and technically my wife, but she doesn't use it). Never really shopped around. I mostly like Spotify.
This is me. My son wanted Spotify for his birthday, and it was only $1 or $2 more for a second plan, so I got it. Never looked into any options. It's great having access to just about everything I could ever want, but it's overwhelming. I miss having "my music" on my phone. I know it's ridiculous, but there is something satisfying to playing a downloaded CD I bought into my phone and playing it vs playing songs/albums off Spotify. I also find it incredibly overwhelming when I don't know what I want to listen to. It was easy to browse iTunes by genre and find what I didn't realize I wanted to listen to. Spotify, I usually just play random playslists. It's nice hearing new (to me) artists, but it's rarely what I want. Other problem is I usually listen while driving, and it's not easy to search while driving. I listed a bunch of artists in my library and usually just hit shuffle on songs by one artist.
-Pruitt