Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Ryan »

I don't much advice per se because my wife is a pro, so I guess this is just me bragging again but...

Seattle ---> train to Whitefish --> Glacier NP --> Banff --> Yellowstone --> Tetons --> Idaho Falls, I guess? --> Dinosaur --> Rocky Mountain NP --> Denver

Who's been to the Banff area?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Banff is top 5 spots anywhere for me but if you can make it north to Jasper that's #1.

Just that drive alone (Icefields Pkwy) is 3-4 hours of nonstop holyshit.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 pm I don't much advice per se because my wife is a pro, so I guess this is just me bragging again but...

Seattle ---> train to Whitefish --> Glacier NP --> Banff --> Yellowstone --> Tetons --> Idaho Falls, I guess? --> Dinosaur --> Rocky Mountain NP --> Denver

Banff is great. I’ve been twice. Once with my wife, and once on an epic trip with my best friend when I was 19, right after freshman year of college. That trip’s itinerary was a bit like yours. Camped out every night (basically sleeping bags near the car every night or in the car if it rained.) Went north from Colorado to Saskatchewan, where we stayed with relatives. Then west to Calgary/Banff/Jasper. Then south to Glacier. Then south to Yellowstone. Then Jackson Hole. Then home to Colorado. I could fill a page listing our adventures!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I can def provide advice on how to navigate the fuckery that is the daily traffic of peak-season RMNP. Your fam is cool with getting up at 4am, right?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:13 pm Banff is top 5 spots anywhere for me but if you can make it north to Jasper that's #1.

This was going to be my $.02 based solely off conversations with Oiler about his time up that way.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:16 pm I can def provide advice on how to navigate the fuckery that is the daily traffic of peak-season RMNP. Your fam is cool with getting up at 4am, right?
I don't know that it's that bad. We stayed in Estes and staying on East Coast time, it was pretty easy to get up early enough to get into the park prior to the timed entry stuff. And if Ry's wife is like mine (sure looks like it) getting a ticket for timed entry is just a matter of being near a laptop/wifi when the window opens.

ETA - But, yeah, if you hit that 1 wee, or more, into your trip, there's gonna be some grousing about pre-dawn.

But, man, that park is stunning.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

just know that i'm preliminarily extremely envious.

i've given instructions that hopefully in about 50yrs my ashes are scattered at one specific turnoff up there - nothing like making it easy on the kids :lol:

(always feel free to shoot me a note, i've been there a few times and might remember some random view/hike or whatever :) )
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:13 pm Banff is top 5 spots anywhere for me but if you can make it north to Jasper that's #1.

This was going to be my $.02 based solely off conversations with Oiler about his time up that way.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:16 pm I can def provide advice on how to navigate the fuckery that is the daily traffic of peak-season RMNP. Your fam is cool with getting up at 4am, right?
I don't know that it's that bad. We stayed in Estes and staying on East Coast time, it was pretty easy to get up early enough to get into the park prior to the timed entry stuff. And if Ry's wife is like mine (sure looks like it) getting a ticket for timed entry is just a matter of being near a laptop/wifi when the window opens.

ETA - But, yeah, if you hit that 1 wee, or more, into your trip, there's gonna be some grousing about pre-dawn.

Most of the crowd goes for the Bear Lake area, which even if you get the timed entry ticket, if you're not early you're gonna be stuck on the shuttle system. Funny thing is, there are great options outside of that area (Wild Basin, for one) where you can hike on the busiest days and pass nary a soul. (Of course like any NP, 90% of the visitors stay within a mile of their car, so just hike a bit and bliss is yours.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:27 pmi've given instructions that hopefully in about 50yrs my ashes are scattered at one specific turnoff up there - nothing like making it easy on the kids
Unless part 1 of those instructions is "hold my ashes for 20+ years", I can't cosign this at all. Being really old seems awful.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:55 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm

Most of the crowd goes for the Bear Lake area, which even if you get the timed entry ticket, if you're not early you're gonna be stuck on the shuttle system. Funny thing is, there are great options outside of that area (Wild Basin, for one) where you can hike on the busiest days and pass nary a soul. (Of course like any NP, 90% of the visitors stay within a mile of their car, so just hike a bit and bliss is yours.)
Yeah, the other draw about Bear Lake is that you're still at a "reasonable" altitude. RMNP can really mess with people on that front. If you drive in from one of the gates and then head up the main road, you get above 10k pretty quick and a lot of folks get queasy with the rapid ascent. My daughter, living in Denver at the time we went, got pale and light-headed the first day we went up.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 pm I don't much advice per se because my wife is a pro, so I guess this is just me bragging again but...

Was there 4 years ago in the summer.

Stayed in Canmore which is a really nice town about 20 minutes from Banff. More choice in terms of food and accommodations, and the local golf course is beautiful and much more suitable for 20+ handicaps. Hell of a lot cheaper than golf in Banff. Grizzly Paw brewery is a must visit.And like all the drives in the area, it is unbelievably beautiful. Lots of hiking in Canmore itself (bring bear spray), but Banff is just spectacular.

And the drive to Jasper is otherworldly.
Canadian International
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

One RMNP note is that the West side of the park (from Grand Lake to the top of Trail Ridge Road) imo is better than the East side. There are about 1/10 the visitors so it's much much quieter, and it's the only place I've ever been to where I've never *not* seen at least a couple moose (we've been up there about 5 times). Admittedly it's less stunningly picturesque than e.g. the Bear Lake -> Emerald Lake hike, if your schedule is flexible and you don't want to fight the hectic Estes Park summertime craziness, I'd definitely recommend going there. Definitely echo the earlier point about elevation, but hopefully since it's at the end and other places you're going are also quite high, you'll be acclimated by the time you get to Rocky.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone tried one of the language learning apps/programs like duolingo, babbel, or rosetta stone?

Since we are going to Italy at the end of May, and trying to stay out of the normal, big tourist areas, (current itinery: few days in Florence, couple of days in Bologna, couple of days in Parma, and then 4 days in the La Lengha region in Piedmont)we are thinking we should have some conversational skills in Italian.

Any advice/recommendations?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My son and I have been doing Duolingo Danish for about a year now. It helped a lot on our trip there for Thanksgiving last year.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve got a 440 day streak on Spanish in Duolingo. I love it. I am surprised at how easily I can now read basic things. Yeah I’m basically a kindergartener language wise but I have absolutely thought it’s worth it. I do pay for the middle tier version. Sixty a year.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

billy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:08 pm One RMNP note is that the West side of the park (from Grand Lake to the top of Trail Ridge Road) imo is better than the East side. There are about 1/10 the visitors so it's much much quieter, and it's the only place I've ever been to where I've never *not* seen at least a couple moose (we've been up there about 5 times). Admittedly it's less stunningly picturesque than e.g. the Bear Lake -> Emerald Lake hike, if your schedule is flexible and you don't want to fight the hectic Estes Park summertime craziness, I'd definitely recommend going there. Definitely echo the earlier point about elevation, but hopefully since it's at the end and other places you're going are also quite high, you'll be acclimated by the time you get to Rocky.
How are the trees there? I recall the west side was pretty bad about 15 years ago. Has it passed through?

Or, has the east side gotten hit, so it doesn't matter which side you go to?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

East is good. Pine beetles haven't had much luck getting past the divide.
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:24 pm
billy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:08 pm One RMNP note is that the West side of the park (from Grand Lake to the top of Trail Ridge Road) imo is better than the East side. There are about 1/10 the visitors so it's much much quieter, and it's the only place I've ever been to where I've never *not* seen at least a couple moose (we've been up there about 5 times). Admittedly it's less stunningly picturesque than e.g. the Bear Lake -> Emerald Lake hike, if your schedule is flexible and you don't want to fight the hectic Estes Park summertime craziness, I'd definitely recommend going there. Definitely echo the earlier point about elevation, but hopefully since it's at the end and other places you're going are also quite high, you'll be acclimated by the time you get to Rocky.
How are the trees there? I recall the west side was pretty bad about 15 years ago. Has it passed through?

The pine beetle isn't a huge deal from an aesthetics perspective there, but the fire from a couple years ago really hit parts of it hard. There are plenty of trails and areas where that's not the case, and tbh the drive in is fascinating to see the damage and the start of regrowth, if you're into that sort of thing like I am.
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am Has anyone tried one of the language learning apps/programs like duolingo, babbel, or rosetta stone?

Since we are going to Italy at the end of May, and trying to stay out of the normal, big tourist areas, (current itinery: few days in Florence, couple of days in Bologna, couple of days in Parma, and then 4 days in the La Lengha region in Piedmont)we are thinking we should have some conversational skills in Italian.

Any advice/recommendations?
If you want to get to semi-conversational, I'd recommend the first two levels of Rocket Italian vs. the others you mentioned, paired with a few italki sessions to help reinforce actual speaking proficiency after you make it about halfway through the first level of Rocket Italian.

I've tried all the ones you mentioned, and if your goal is to actually speak with people in a semi-conversational manner vs. just understand vocabulary and be able to master a few phrases, then Rocket Languages blows them out of the water.

I don't think you need to get all three levels - Level 1 & 2 + italki is definitely sufficient, and you shouldn't pay more than 60% off. And it's a lifetime access deal, so you can come back to it for subsequent visits. https://www.rocketlanguages.com/pricing ... ge=italian

Happy to answer any questions! And sounds awesome!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, I should have said earlier that I have no idea how Duolingo compares to anything else out there.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My dad went to Banff like 10-15 years ago. Mind you, he's rated the courses of nearly every good course in Florida (he's an FSGA course rater who wrote an Excel workbook to track each course's rating, and I built a py script to auto-upload them to the USGA's course rating website), and he came back appreciating the courses he played in the Banff region that much more than all the courses he's played / rated in Florida.

Long story short, if you're a golfer, bring your clubs.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

billy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:24 pm

The pine beetle isn't a huge deal from an aesthetics perspective there, but the fire from a couple years ago really hit parts of it hard. There are plenty of trails and areas where that's not the case, and tbh the drive in is fascinating to see the damage and the start of regrowth, if you're into that sort of thing like I am.
Yeah, I was gonna mention the fire. We were there 2 or 3 years ago and it was pretty rough. Still some cool spots to hit as you make your way to the mountains. And, frankly, after being on the east side for a number of days, it was an interesting contrast. But I wouldn't want to stay over there for multiple days without going over the divide.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really hate to generalize but so much of the South is trash compared to the rest of the country. There’s nice towns and nice people to be sure but on the whole just such a weird, trashy vibe here. (I’m in Little Rock today but I’ve been here enough for previous jobs that I feel OK with my opinion.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!