Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, we drove through there on our way back from Estes last year. Thought it looked pretty cool so we are going to hit it up. Grand Lake was pretty nice on our drive thru.

Looking for those breweries and any other local/hidden gems.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Big Trout and Hideaway Park in Winter Park and Fraser River in Fraser are breweries that I know are pretty good. I don't have any restaurant recommendations...nothing has struck me as a must-go.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am Big Trout and Hideaway Park in Winter Park and Fraser River in Fraser are breweries that I know are pretty good. I don't have any restaurant recommendations...nothing has struck me as a must-go.
I really enjoyed Fraser River. Whichever one in Winter Park next to the hot dog stand is great too.
Last edited by Giff on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

went on ski/snowboard mancation two years ago to Winterpark --
only hit one restaurant outside the resort (we go out as a group once or twice, then cook in the rest of the time)-- Smokehouse BBQ - good selection of beer and excellent meats.

Headed to Steamboat this Saturday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I haven’t been to Winter Park for ages but assuming things haven’t changed, you can also ski sister ski area Mary Jane with the same ticket.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:18 pm Headed to Steamboat this Saturday.
Butcher Knife and Yampa Valley Brewing, there.

Outer Range on your way up, Guanella Pass Brewing on your way down.

Edit to add, Westbound & Down is pretty good as well (haven't been in a few years, but I see people gushing) and their food was excellent.
Last edited by Rush2112 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks, fellas!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:18 pm Headed to Steamboat this Saturday.
What Rush said plus Storm Peak Brewing in Steamboat.
What am I, 12?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The pizza place across the street from me managed to get an Outer Range tap. Dangerous.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....Italy. Specifically Tuscany.

We started looking at some things last night. We want to go visit my daughter in the first part of April, so we'll do 3-4 days in Florence, and then we want to spent time in countryside. We are thinking of using Lucca or Siena as a 'home base', and then doing day trips from there.

I've been to Florence before, but its been over 22 years, so could use some ideas.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like a great trip. (That’s all I’ve got.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Cinque Terre might be my favorite spot on the planet.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:44 pm Cinque Terre might be my favorite spot on the planet.
I've heard this from several people.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:13 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:44 pm Cinque Terre might be my favorite spot on the planet.
I've heard this from several people.
Did not make it there on my Euro trip but I know lots of people who have. They did the whole hike between towns, drink wine with the locals, and enjoy. On the list of places to get to.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Mancation Update

arrived in Steamboat on saturday before noon, spent nearly three hours at the Yampa Valley airport bar drinking local ales, waiting for my buds' delayed flights and our ride to show up
grocery store was bare on saturday evening.. pizza.. forget the place but they had a bacon/pinneaple/jalapeno 'za that was amazing
full day on the mountain on sunday. somehow i ended up on a black run from the top down to Four Points Lodge. my first black run. scary. A guiness and a double bourbon to calm the nerves. Lots of blues and a green or two to finish up the day. Six runs in total. OT Fiasco after dinner (i cooked - pasta-less lasagna and greek salad)
monday, did half day -- all blues. stuck to everything below 9000 ft. super tired. two ugly falls onto my back. smashed my sunglasses (in the backpack). Lunch at Slopeside.. beers. after four, lots of beers outside Timber & Torch. someone else made dinner. we watched Expendables
tuesday, full day. most of the afternoon was just me as the other four were either tied up at work or with a tinder find (widowed bud, two years, he was allowed). best day on the mountain. 8 runs. blues and greens. i actually looked like i knew what i was doing. dinner made by someone else, although i did papas saladas as a side dish. steak and salmon. we saw John Wick 1&2.
Wednesday, up at 430, out at the curb for the shuttle in -6. flight delays all over, made my connection with 15mins to spare and my bags made it to Newark (20 mins after landing, amazing). exhausted. Ready for next year's trip.
didn't go to any other place besides the places at the lodge. we finished two bottles of whiskey and a couple of cases. three guys remain til saturday.
Last edited by elflaco2 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sounds amazing
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, sounds like a lot of fun.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sounds like a great time.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This has me recommitted to getting our 2018 cancelled trip back on for this year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My daughter is there this weekend. She sent me a whatsapp video this morning that almost killed my motivation for work today. Looked amazing (and sunny)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm This has me recommitted to getting our 2018 cancelled trip back on for this year.
we got the '20 trip off, the '21 was cancelled... this one was nearly derailed. we had 11 initially, only five of us made it (the other six didn't make it tks to covid)-- a bit pricey with so few, but a great time. Looking forward to next year's trip.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ours was cancelled in 2018 for USMNT missing the World Cup, no idea why in 2019 and then the last two for Covid. Right now we’re debating between tourney first weekend or sweet 16 + Mexico match the next weekend.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We got our tickets to Italy in Mid-April last night. Very excited.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm
My daughter is there this weekend. She sent me a whatsapp video this morning that almost killed my motivation for work today. Looked amazing (and sunny)
It's still 8 years out, but we've planned for years to celebrate our 20th in Italy with my oldest friend and his wife who would also be celebrating their 20th that same year. This place is spurring some planning.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:26 pm Mancation Update

arrived in Steamboat on saturday before noon, spent nearly three hours at the Yampa Valley airport bar drinking local ales, waiting for my buds' delayed flights and our ride to show up
grocery store was bare on saturday evening.. pizza.. forget the place but they had a bacon/pinneaple/jalapeno 'za that was amazing
full day on the mountain on sunday. somehow i ended up on a black run from the top down to Four Points Lodge. my first black run. scary. A guiness and a double bourbon to calm the nerves. Lots of blues and a green or two to finish up the day. Six runs in total. OT Fiasco after dinner (i cooked - pasta-less lasagna and greek salad)
monday, did half day -- all blues. stuck to everything below 9000 ft. super tired. two ugly falls onto my back. smashed my sunglasses (in the backpack). Lunch at Slopeside.. beers. after four, lots of beers outside Timber & Torch. someone else made dinner. we watched Expendables
tuesday, full day. most of the afternoon was just me as the other four were either tied up at work or with a tinder find (widowed bud, two years, he was allowed). best day on the mountain. 8 runs. blues and greens. i actually looked like i knew what i was doing. dinner made by someone else, although i did papas saladas as a side dish. steak and salmon. we saw John Wick 1&2.
Wednesday, up at 430, out at the curb for the shuttle in -6. flight delays all over, made my connection with 15mins to spare and my bags made it to Newark (20 mins after landing, amazing). exhausted. Ready for next year's trip.
didn't go to any other place besides the places at the lodge. we finished two bottles of whiskey and a couple of cases. three guys remain til saturday.
First time skiing?
Totally Kafkaesque
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Snowboarding.

Sixth year. Usually get a couple of trips to the Poconos and this one out west. Rest of the group has at least a 20 year headstart.

I tried skiing early on. It didn't take and I hated the boots.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Heading to Siesta Key this weekend...anybody got any experience/suggestions for restaurants, bars and/or breweries good for a group of 10 people in Sarasota area? Any other suggestions for things to do?
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:49 pm Snowboarding.

Sixth year. Usually get a couple of trips to the Poconos and this one out west. Rest of the group has at least a 20 year headstart.

I tried skiing early on. It didn't take and I hated the boots.
One of the best tips you can give novice skiers is to rent the best boots the shop has on hand.

Another thing I'll never understand: Why skiers don't unbuckle their boots once they're no longer over their skis. You can actually walk quite easily in ski boots if you just undo the ankle buckles. Helps you massively going up/downstairs, as well.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:20 am One of the best tips you can give novice skiers is to rent the best boots the shop has on hand.
One of the best things about switching to telemark gear when I did was the boots were so much more comfortable.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:06 pm Heading to Siesta Key this weekend...anybody got any experience/suggestions for restaurants, bars and/or breweries good for a group of 10 people in Sarasota area? Any other suggestions for things to do?
I should have way more recs for you, but I don't get to Sarasota or Siesta Key much. If you go north an island or two, Beach Bistro is very good and fancy. Waterfront near the Anna Maria Island pier is quite good. St. Armand's Circle has a bunch of nice restaurants. Columbia is really good Tampa style Cuban food. I've heard Euphemia Haye is good but haven't been.

Oh, if you can get to Cortez, Star Fish Co. is an amazing dive bar/seafood shack on the intracoastal waterway. Capt. Kathe runs a charter pontoon boat out of there and she'll take you on a nice 2-3 hour tour where you can get out and snorkel and see a bunch of local fish. She's a real stickler about not using spray suntan lotion though and won't hesitate to tell you about it or bite your head off if she sees you using it.

As you might suspect, this time of year is going to be slammed with snowbirds down here.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:06 pm Heading to Siesta Key this weekend...anybody got any experience/suggestions for restaurants, bars and/or breweries good for a group of 10 people in Sarasota area? Any other suggestions for things to do?
I should have way more recs for you, but I don't get to Sarasota or Siesta Key much. If you go north an island or two, Beach Bistro is very good and fancy. Waterfront near the Anna Maria Island pier is quite good. St. Armand's Circle has a bunch of nice restaurants. Columbia is really good Tampa style Cuban food. I've heard Euphemia Haye is good but haven't been.

Oh, if you can get to Cortez, Star Fish Co. is an amazing dive bar/seafood shack on the intracoastal waterway. Capt. Kathe runs a charter pontoon boat out of there and she'll take you on a nice 2-3 hour tour where you can get out and snorkel and see a bunch of local fish. She's a real stickler about not using spray suntan lotion though and won't hesitate to tell you about it or bite your head off if she sees you using it.

As you might suspect, this time of year is going to be slammed with snowbirds down here.
Noted...thank you for the suggestions.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'll say it. Capt. Kathe has killed people in the past.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

How is Anna Maria Island these days? Has it gotten crowded or built up? My family bought a bunch of properties down there starting in the 1960s, and they are still going there every winter. I haven't been there in forever but I would love to go back.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:41 pm

How is Anna Maria Island these days? Has it gotten crowded or built up? My family bought a bunch of properties down there starting in the 1960s, and they are still going there every winter. I haven't been there in forever but I would love to go back.
AMI is great. My mom grew up vacationing there, and it's our summer beach week spot. They still have an ordinance that doesn't allow any construction over 3 stories (I think). There is one 5 story building that has been grandfathered in. I think the flooding may have gotten worse lately, but the water seems to recede pretty easily. My parents owned a few places down there for a bit and got spooked by having too much of their retirement tied up in real estate (and they also had chinese drywall which was it's own nightmare). It was really nice having a spot a few blocks from the beach to go to for essentially no money, but they sold their places within the last 10 years.

It would not surprise me if Capt. Kathe has killed. She is a no nonsense multigenerational Floridian that does not abide bullshit.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:15 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:20 am One of the best tips you can give novice skiers is to rent the best boots the shop has on hand.
One of the best things about switching to telemark gear when I did was the boots were so much more comfortable.
great advice. Six years too late.
snowboard boots are great to walk on. feel like a spaceman.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm
rass wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:36 am
rass wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm Leaving tomorrow evening NJ and landing Wednesday morning in Dublin, staying for 9 nights. The first two will be in Dublin, then we're heading North to Co. Down for a yet to be determined (3 or 4?) number of days to spend time with my wife's extended family, and then we'll wander around a bit after that. We haven't really made set plans for the back portion of the trip since we don't know exactly when we are setting out from Down. We want to try to see Belfast, since it was still a little dicey there last time we were over in Ireland in 2001. My wife wants to make it over to Donegal because she's never been there. We spent a lot of our last trip in Kerry, specifically the strut of land surrounded by water on three sides that starts with the fourth letter of the alphabet, so we'll probably not wander too far South.

Anyway, I haven't driven a standard transmission in 4 years or so, and didn't drive at all the last time I was over there, so wish me and our rental car luck.
The tiny village where we the bulk of my wife's family lives and where we stayed while in NI made it to the All-Ireland Senior Club Football Championship. Population under 1,500 according to the 2001 census. Neat!
They tied it up in the 10th minute of 5 minutes of injury time. Going to extra time!
That was two years ago and they lost in extra time. They got back to the finals again this year and yesterday was the match. I found a GAA app on Roku ponied up $6 to watch them win. They came back twice, and gave up a lead in the first ET period between those two comebacks. Brilliant!

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Will be in Seattle from Thurs-Monday. Staying with a buddy but I'm sure I can zip out on my own for a bit. Anything that's can't miss? Is Dave still in Seattle? We have any other contingent out there?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You can get a new iPhone at the Target right near Pike Place. Also the Pearl Jam exhibit at the Pop Culture Museum. These might be too personal?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Hook up with Shirley - maybe you can give that presentation to marketing for him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

You guys used to be fun man. If I can't buy DiS some jeans his future step daughter isn't getting him for free in his free new Jeep then why even go?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."