Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

blundercrush
Brandt

Re: Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Post by blundercrush »

If you have Xbox game pass (it's a dollar right now for both PC/Xbox) the streaming feature is pretty sweet. I didn't try and play anything that requires really good internet, but it was sweet loading up a game that would normally be a multi hour download and just start playing it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Anybody played Ghost of Tsushima yet? It was released a year and a half ago, and an enhanced, Director’s Cut was released last summer.
Noli Timere Messorem
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:42 am Anybody played Ghost of Tsushima yet? It was released a year and a half ago, and an enhanced, Director’s Cut was released last summer.
I got about halfway through it. It’s absolutely beautiful. My only complaint was that the actual gameplay was not that varied.

Started elden ring yesterday. Holy shit is it hard. I kinda wandered off at the start and got teleported from a trap to a far corner of the map. Have spent roughly ten hours dying and working my way back to where I need to be to finish the tutorial.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:53 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:42 am Anybody played Ghost of Tsushima yet? It was released a year and a half ago, and an enhanced, Director’s Cut was released last summer.
I got about halfway through it. It’s absolutely beautiful. My only complaint was that the actual gameplay was not that varied.

Started elden ring yesterday. Holy shit is it hard. I kinda wandered off at the start and got teleported from a trap to a far corner of the map. Have spent roughly ten hours dying and working my way back to where I need to be to finish the tutorial.
Considered buying elden ring. But the reviews and comments make it seem to be so time consuming that I can't justify it right now. Also was interested in Ghosts but never took the plunge. May just get back into The Show while I wait for God Of War Ragnarok
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Considered buying elden ring. But the reviews and comments make it seem to be so time consuming that I can't justify it right now. Also was interested in Ghosts but never took the plunge. May just get back into The Show while I wait for God Of War Ragnarok
Been watching about 75 minutes of a walk-through of Ghost, and about all of it was cut-scenes and directed play until you reach the open world where the credits roll. It looks fun.
Noli Timere Messorem
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

A_B wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:55 pm

If you really like beating games, or don't like previous dark souls games, do not buy Elden Ring. Otherwise, it's probably going on my all time greatest games list. The game is enormous, meandering, and doesn't tell you how to beat it like most open world games do.

Ghost of Tsushima is a very good game, and significantly more grokable than Elden Ring. Also incredibly beautiful on a PS4 Pro.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I keep seeing videos for Elden Ring. And the old lady is out of town. I doubt I will make it through the night without downloading.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:06 pm I keep seeing videos for Elden Ring. And the old lady is out of town. I doubt I will make it through the night without downloading.
It's just as hard as the others here said, so be warned. Which isn't to say it's not a ton of fun if you can get into it.

I've sunk about 30 hours into it so far. Might add more thoughts here this weekend if we want to share progress.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:25 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:06 pm I keep seeing videos for Elden Ring. And the old lady is out of town. I doubt I will make it through the night without downloading.
It's just as hard as the others here said, so be warned. Which isn't to say it's not a ton of fun if you can get into it.

I've sunk about 30 hours into it so far. Might add more thoughts here this weekend if we want to share progress.
I'm used to failure.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What in the name of the fog was I thinking.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I was going to say, there's "failure" and then there's "you will encounter multiple things in the first hour that you'll find unbeatable unless you're willing to change your approach from almost any other game you've ever played."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:14 am I was going to say, there's "failure" and then there's "you will encounter multiple things in the first hour that you'll find unbeatable unless you're willing to change your approach from almost any other game you've ever played."
Yeah I learned pretty quick to be careful what I fight. Well. Back to it!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Seven plus hours. No clue what I’m doing or what to do to get better gear. Fun!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:34 pm Seven plus hours. No clue what I’m doing or what to do to get better gear. Fun!
I'm by no means a great player, but I've managed to clear out most things in the early areas of the game so far and beat the first couple bosses. Let me know if you're stuck on something and I'll see what advice I can give.

Also, don't know how often you use guides/wikis for the games you play, but it's nearly essential for a game like this. Here's a pretty good one: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Elden+Ring+Wiki
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I would dream those shapes gloriously falling into the ether.

Probably the greatest video game of all time. So simple. So not.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Threw my first solo no-hitter in a video game last night. If you don't have SuperMegaBaseball 3, you should..it's the best baseball game out there.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am Threw my first solo no-hitter in a video game last night. If you don't have SuperMegaBaseball 3, you should..it's the best baseball game out there.
Sounds like the name of the great baseball games of my youth. When baseball stars and bases loaded took all of my time.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am Threw my first solo no-hitter in a video game last night. If you don't have SuperMegaBaseball 3, you should..it's the best baseball game out there.
I have the second one and thought about getting 3 but wasn't sure if it was enough of an upgrade. You're right though, the gameplay is great despite the cartoony look. I had even though of doing a "lite" version of the old Swamp OOTP thing in it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

3 has editable franchises, IIRC that's the big difference. I've had the HIpsterz with a 6-year dynasty and just started afresh with the BirdLizards.

I only have a couple of quibbles (I wish there was trading, a draft of sorts, and some sort of minors where you could stash young players, as for gameplay starters shouldn't be tense forever if they come in to relieve, and lord have mercy I wish there was instant replay) but give the game a solid A/low A+
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am
Sounds like the name of the great baseball games of my youth. When baseball stars and bases loaded took all of my time.
What is a wren?

Loved that game.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This will scratch this itch.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

FIFA was the PlayStation free game last month and it’s so much fun. Haven’t played a soccer game in years but this is great.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:32 pm FIFA was the PlayStation free game last month and it’s so much fun. Haven’t played a soccer game in years but this is great.
So, got called up to international duty. Holy shit the lineup GREGGGGGGG trotted out was abysmal. Fucking Zardes.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:54 am
A_B wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:32 pm FIFA was the PlayStation free game last month and it’s so much fun. Haven’t played a soccer game in years but this is great.
So, got called up to international duty. Holy shit the lineup GREGGGGGGG trotted out was abysmal. Fucking Zardes.
I totally blanked and for a second I was thinking Williams? Easterbrook? Jeffries?

And to threadjack, Gregggggggg has an inordinately high percentage of assholes for a name. Popovich is the only one I can think off the top of my head as someone who doesn't totally suck at his job.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:59 am
I totally blanked and for a second I was thinking Williams? Easterbrook? Jeffries?

And to threadjack, Gregggggggg has an inordinately high percentage of assholes for a name. Popovich is the only one I can think off the top of my head as someone who doesn't totally suck at his job.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Don't bring up Gregggggg Jefferies to us Philly guys, wlu. The only memories we have of him is abject frustration.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 am Don't bring up Gregggggg Jefferies to us Philly guys, wlu. The only memories we have of him is abject frustration.
Shouldn't you be Musial or Stargell at this point?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You right, AB, you right. Starting next week I'm going to go up the ladder once a week until I'm in the correct slot.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've been playing for Montreal in the MLS, we were kicking ass, I got called up for the World Cup (which you don't play) and the Impact fell down to 5th or 6th in the table. Then I got transferred to Wolves.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:36 am
I've been playing for Montreal in the MLS, we were kicking ass, I got called up for the World Cup (which you don't play) and the Impact fell down to 5th or 6th in the table. Then I got transferred to Wolves.
Wow. I really thought I just got snubbed. I guess there is another edition of the game for that, huh?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I believe that I read that the World Cup is included in FIFA23 (I'm playing 21 on PC) you do play various friendlies...I don't think you play in qualifying matches either.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I’m sure there are “ways” (build a raspberry pi and upload it to TikTok to win a raffle or whatever you’re about to tell me) but I’m constantly amazed that I can’t just walk into a store right now and buy a PS5.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

One does not simply walk into Babbage's.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got the new God of War: Ragnarok. PLayed it a couple of hours. This is going to fuck up my sleep patterns. Yeah, it's a button masher, but the graphics are insane and it's really fun. There are some puzzles you have to figure out, though I haven't made it to anything difficult just yet.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If any of you have Apple Arcade, Football Manager is included.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Now you're playing with power, Nintendo Power!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is brilliant.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Im available on Fifa today if anyone wants to play. I have a ps5 but not sure about cross platform. acemcgee007 is my sony username
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Anyone a Top Eleven fan (phone game pitched by the Special One)? Could be a fun one for to get a bit of head-2-head competition. Yes a typical pay to excel type phone app, but no ads and doing fine without paying so far.
My referral code is N1THFWCS7L4ZNT.