Swampers on the golf course

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Swampers on the golf course

Post by Brontoburglar »

we won our flight in the (rain delayed) spring league and finally had the shootout last night. 10 teams per hole. alternate shot with four eliminated the first hole and then two and two to set up a head-to-head sudden death match.

we went par, par, par and got eliminated on a blind chip off on the third hole because the guys who were getting a stroke hit it into the shit twice and still somehow got a gross par/net birdie. we did exactly what we wanted to do with each shot and just got unlucky.

it was really fun. hopefully we make the playoff again this next session because that means we will have made money again.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

1. we made the playoff again in the fall and lost on the third hole again lol

2. got to play golf on Christmas Eve for the first time ever with a high of 72 yesterday. was awesome. shot 80 somehow despite 20-30 mph winds
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

getting fit for golf clubs is great until you see the price tag of the club combination that works best for you. eesh.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:25 pm getting fit for golf clubs is great until you see the price tag of the club combination that works best for you. eesh.
Didn’t bother with custom fitting for the reasons you mentioned. I’m (6’1”) +1 on my set of irons and standard length woods and hybrids.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am to the point of playing so much and current -> aspiring skill level that I need to get custom fit. I obviously could play stock stuff, but hey, why not be as good as possible while I have the chance? that also helps me justify that if I do this now, I have no reason to buy new irons in three years.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

If you get your custom length graphite shafts, in addition to regripping, you could update the club head with a better version, no?
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

same price
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:22 am same price
Wow. Did not know that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

it's crazy ... and also probably unnecessary?

went down a rabbit hole this week after I talked to golf buddies and became more and more convinced that I wasn't to the point where I needed to spend double retail price on irons. so I went down to a TM fitting event today and tried out their available custom iron shafts that aren't upcharges and, sure enough, found a stock KBS shaft that performed basically as well as the shafts that were going to cost like $90 extra per club

so instead of paying for the club price *and* a custom shaft price on top of that, I'm just paying for the club price. I wish I had all this knowledge going into the fitting, but this only took me a week to decide and I'm saving over 50% of that price I got quoted on Monday by ordering through my course today.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

40 on the back 9 today and I haven't felt this good in a long, long time.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

pruitt2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:01 pm 40 on the back 9 today and I haven't felt this good in a long, long time.
I doubled the 18th a week ago to shoot 41 on the back. Kicking myself.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:00 pm
pruitt2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:01 pm 40 on the back 9 today and I haven't felt this good in a long, long time.
I doubled the 18th a week ago to shoot 41 on the back. Kicking myself.
I normally shoot mid-90s on a pretty tough muni course. Shot 87 today. Savouring every stroke. It's like I finally understand the mindfulness crap I've been doing for 2 and a half years.

Savour the 41!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I've finally got the swing down pretty good (it comes and goes but this time might be here to mostly stay) and it's "can't golf because it's 100 degrees" season.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You should be good by Thanksgiving.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I shot a 38 on the front in late May with a double on 9. and then limped home the rest of the way as we thankfully won the match

doing very well at inflating my handicap in rounds that don't count and playing well in rounds that do. shot a 79 a couple weeks ago in a handicap better ball match (and my partner shot 75) and we still somehow lost

eta: also currently hate my new irons at the moment. swing is all jacked up. going from 85g to 120g is an adjustment and I haven't totally unlocked the secret yet so I have resorted to always taking an extra club anytime I'm outside a three quarter pitching wedge
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Everyone loves a sandbagger!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm trying not to be one! I want/expect to break 80 every time
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Just had one of those rounds that I'll be thinking about all winter.

Couldn't drive worth shit, but the short irons and putter were working so well. And sand saves? What a day.

(Hate to brag, but if you're visiting this thread, you understand.)
Canadian International
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I have lost at least 50 yards of distance in the last two years, which is probably not good.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s usually a really strong indicator of herpes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Went to Top Golf for a company outing last week... Had a blast!

I've been missing the game more and more lately. Played a shit ton in my teens and twenties but pretty much hung it up when the kids arrived, especially when I started coaching.

But, yeah, think I'm gonna get some rounds in this summer.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have not played in years, but finally got talked into taking a day and doing the company golf event. So cleaned out the bag (my clubs are from 1992 or 93 and were $99 then). Also found old scorecards and pencils from Tom Mitchell's Golf Gridiron.

Anyway went to the local golf store yesterday to get a new glove (leather dry rot on the one in the bag). Funny you don't get much customer attention if you walk in and go straight to the $10 generic golf gloves, but you do if you are a high school kid with a Georgetown Prep t-shirt on.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This could make prices a bit higher
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Yikes!

Good thing I walk my dog on the local municipal course all winter. While she digs and sniffs, I bag up stray balls - usually get 200-300 hundred good ones each year.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:00 am Yikes!

Good thing I walk my dog on the local municipal course all winter. While she digs and sniffs, I bag up stray balls - usually get 200-300 hundred good ones each year.
That's amazing. I'm always shocked ho many decent golf balls I find that really aren't that hidden. One round I found 4 pro v1s or xs. and then a couple of other callaway or whatever. I ain't picky generally.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

When I golfed regularly, there were times when those around me weren't paying attention and I'd hit a shot and legitimately not know where it went. Just... poof... gone. Sometimes I'd kind of stumble on it, but there I know I just let dozens and dozens of balls go as opposed to spending time looking around.

10/10 that happened when I was on a backed up course. If I was on some South Cackilacky course where I was pretty much the only one out there, I'm not leaving one behind.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They call him the Humbert Valley ball man.

The shadowy figure can be seen traversing the frosty fairways of the muni course, kicking and squatting in the brush as his faithful and only companion does the same on four legs...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:40 am

The shadowy figure can be seen traversing the frosty fairways of the muni course, kicking and squatting in the brush as his faithful and only companion does the same on four legs...
That is exactly how I feel out there! And on occasion, my dog will dig up a few balls.

Although I scavenge at Don Valley, not Humber Valley (which are both Toronto municipal courses)
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 am

That is exactly how I feel out there! And on occasion, my dog will dig up a few balls.

Although I scavenge at Don Valley, not Humber Valley (which are both Toronto municipal courses)
Oops. I guessed based on you mentioning Humber College in the past.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:59 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:55 am

Oops. I guessed based on you mentioning Humber College in the past.
Very impressive though!
Canadian International