NFL meltdown thread: the slow two-minute drill to disaster

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: NFL meltdown thread: the slow two-minute drill to disast

Post by govmentchedda »

Was wondering if that was just local here in Des Moines. Seems like a very small class to advertise to, even if you include family members.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I've seen that commercial, streaming on Hulu. Frasier? The Muppets? I have no idea. Personally I think there will be two things that the NFL will not be able to recover from, and it'll take a star 'white' QB to succumb to CTE in the next several years. When that happens, more and more mothers are going to put their foot down and not sign the release form to let their sons play football, and then watching the NFL will be about watching guys who had no other choice but to play for the scholarship, and then winded up making a profession out of it. I don't mean to make it about race, but it's what's going to happen, me thinks.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote:I've seen that commercial, streaming on Hulu. Frasier? The Muppets? I have no idea. Personally I think there will be two things that the NFL will not be able to recover from, and it'll take a star 'white' QB to succumb to CTE in the next several years. When that happens, more and more mothers are going to put their foot down and not sign the release form to let their sons play football, and then watching the NFL will be about watching guys who had no other choice but to play for the scholarship, and then winded up making a profession out of it. I don't mean to make it about race, but it's what's going to happen, me thinks.
Hall of Fame inductee Kenny Stabler not white enough for ya? Too much of a bad boy, and retired too long ago to make a statement. I think Marino, Favre, Browning Nagle or any more recent super star does it. I completely agree with you on race and QB. A white WR or RB doesn't make as much of an impact, because they either weren't good or were named Collingsworth, and everyone hates Collingsworth.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I have a feeling that Wes Welker would be in that category Syb, I'm not sure that we're going to see a QB though they'll just keep legislating to protect the QB.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm guessing Manning is probably gonna invoke CTE in his suit with Tennessee right now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

From what I read, he already tried the c*nt trainer excuse.

Or did you mean something else?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote:I have a feeling that Wes Welker would be in that category Syb, I'm not sure that we're going to see a QB though they'll just keep legislating to protect the QB.
Jim McMahon isn't exactly the poster golden boy, but his brain is going to be a mess when they cut him open. Saw an interview with him a while back, and he is almost incapable of forming new memories. He said he reads a lot on his Kindle, and saw he bought and read the same book numerous times with no memory of previously reading it. That is fucking scary.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:I have a feeling that Wes Welker would be in that category Syb, I'm not sure that we're going to see a QB though they'll just keep legislating to protect the QB.
Jim McMahon isn't exactly the poster golden boy, but his brain is going to be a mess when they cut him open. Saw an interview with him a while back, and he is almost incapable of forming new memories. He said he reads a lot on his Kindle, and saw he bought and read the same book numerous times with no memory of previously reading it. That is fucking scary.
Kindle is fucked up if it allows you to rebuy the same book through the same account.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote:
He was in the recent 30 for 30 about the '85 Bears, and he wasn't in that great of shape. He said that he's started seeing a doctor every few weeks for "micro-adjustments" in his neck, which he said has helped a bunch. And he does a bunch of huge jigsaw puzzle, saying that they help keep his mind sharp.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The league snuck in an acknowledgement that there is a link between football and long term brain disease today.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of shocking, you don't look a day over (your age minus 5)! Happy birthday, Ry!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Interesting thoughts from Lions LB DeAndre Levy

Might have seen he was pretty critical of Jim Irsay's (idiotic) comments that compared the risk of CTE to taking aspirin.

Not sure I've seen too many players lay out in this detail their feelings about continuing to play football despite the risk of brain damage (and taking the league to task to boot).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Re: NFL meltdown thread: the slow two-minute drill to disaster

Post by rass »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

See now, I'm confused. Because I read that article and he says he retired because of the toll on his body. But every gasbag media dipshit in America said it was because the Lions suck. Weird.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote:See now, I'm confused. Because I read that article and he says he retired because of the toll on his body. But every gasbag media dipshit in America said it was because the Lions suck. Weird.
Can't it be both?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So apparently Flag Football more dangerous than tackle.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/flag-footb ... 54?tesla=y
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:
Good lord.
“I told him, ‘The law is the law,’ ” Rannazzisi said. “He said, ‘Well, my owner knows members of Congress and he’ll get the law changed.’ ”

The day after the article appeared, Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Tex.) introduced a bill in Congress that essentially would allow professional sports teams to travel for up to 72 hours with unlimited amounts of prescription drugs. They could administer those drugs on road trips, as long as they kept proper records.
Campaign finance reports show that the Cowboys never donated to the 11-term congressman before his most recent reelection bid in 2016. That’s when the family of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones became active donors. The most an individual can contribute to a candidate in an election cycle is $2,700. Within a two-day period in December 2015, Sessions received that exact amount from Jones, his wife, all three of his children, each of his children’s spouses and four of Jones’s grandchildren — a total of $32,400.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He's in trump class of incompetence.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

To be fair, he's probably accurate and that study acknowledges sampling issues. More or less 110 of 111 nfl players suspected of having cte do have cte.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote:To be fair, he's probably accurate and that study acknowledges sampling issues. More or less 110 of 111 nfl players suspected of having cte do have cte.

I've previously read about this 2012 study, which did find that ex-NFL players are significantly less likely to die of various common causes of death (e.g., cancer, heart disease, violence) than the population as a whole. Based on the data tables, it looks like a big chunk of the cancer effect is due to the uncommonness of lung cancer among players -- which makes sense as there probably aren't many chain smokers in the NFL. Not smoking, and just generally exercising more would also likely help a lot with heart health.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Even though they play a sport that actively destroys their bodies and brains, they still live longer than you because of money and access to quality health care" is probably not a message Goodell's fellow rich people are going to be thrilled about. Also, very few NFL players die of causes like pediatric cancer and SIDS.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote:"Even though they play a sport that actively destroys their bodies and brains, they still live longer than you because of money and access to quality health care" is probably not a message Goodell's fellow rich people are going to be thrilled about. Also, very few NFL players die of causes like pediatric cancer and SIDS.

Obviously not, but I doubt the data effects are all just about access to health care. NFL players, like pro athletes in any sport, surely eat better, drink less, smoke less and exercise a hell of a lot more than the average American male. So while the nature of the sport is bad for brain and joint health, it's not surprising that ex-players would have healthier hearts and lungs. However, I don't know if there have been any rigorous attempts to measure quality of life, as opposed to just life expectancy and mortality, among ex-players. That's obviously really important too.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote:He's in trump class of incompetence.

Not to defend him, but a large part of his job is to eat the shit 31 billionaires (and a conglomeration in Green Bay) tell him to eat. He does a pretty good job at that, considering how he is compensated and retained.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They also get arrested at a lower rate than the general population, even though they are a bunch of thugs.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That "live longer" thing smakcks of using every person whose ever been on a roster for no matter how small of a time being included in the dataset to me.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote:That "live longer" thing smakcks of using every person whose ever been on a roster for no matter how small of a time being included in the dataset to me.

Actually, the study was limited to players with 5 or more seasons in the league, so that's not the case. It used a large data sample of thousands of players who were active from the 1950s through the late 1980s. It's certainly possible the game has gotten more dangerous in the last 30 years due to bigger and stronger players. But at the same time, Goodell's comments are correct in that the most rigorous study that has been conducted does show a lower mortality rate among ex-players. What was interesting to me is that while neurological-related deaths were a bit higher among the ex-players, the rate of suicide was significantly lower. Those are the two biggest areas identified as potential risk factors from concussions/CTE.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How many seasons did Aaron Hernandez play?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nvm.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote:
A_B wrote:That "live longer" thing smakcks of using every person whose ever been on a roster for no matter how small of a time being included in the dataset to me.

Actually, the study was limited to players with 5 or more seasons in the league, so that's not the case. It used a large data sample of thousands of players who were active from the 1950s through the late 1980s. It's certainly possible the game has gotten more dangerous in the last 30 years due to bigger and stronger players. But at the same time, Goodell's comments are correct in that the most rigorous study that has been conducted does show a lower mortality rate among ex-players. What was interesting to me is that while neurological-related deaths were a bit higher among the ex-players, the rate of suicide was significantly lower. Those are the two biggest areas identified as potential risk factors from concussions/CTE.

Nobody likes a know it all.

(But seriously I just assume he NFL is being shady no matter what these days)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote:

Does the study compare non-players with the same income and wealth? I would think being rich leads to living longer, for several reasons.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Joe K wrote:

Does the study compare non-players with the same income and wealth? I would think being rich leads to living longer, for several reasons.

It looks like it made comparisons by age and race but not income. And while I think you have a valid point I also think that the lower mortality found likely has a lot to do with the better lifestyle habits inherent among athletes. The studies' authors specifically identified much lower tobacco use as perhaps the biggest causal factor.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NFL owners struggled to retain control after Trump's attacks, rise of player protests

Dan Snyder, the Washington Redskins' owner and who declined to comment through a spokesman, argued that the protests needed to end because of the danger that the issue posed to the league's bottom line. A "$40 million" NFL sponsor was considering pulling out, he told his fellow owners. Snyder kept repeating "$40 million" to add emphasis, amusing a clique of owners who did the math and realized that, after the players' cut of the shared revenue, it amounted to considerably less than $1 million per club -- hardly a game-changing sum for a league that last year had an average per-team profit of $101 million.

There was a general, if fanciful, consensus that even a short-term financial hit could benefit the league in the long term, especially if the league and the union could join in solidarity behind a single plan. That's how the league's marketing department was planning to proceed, even if some of the rough ideas fell flat. One idea had all players wearing a patch on their jerseys that would read, "Team America." An owner briefed on the proposal simply shook his head: "We need to do better than that."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"League's marketing department"

FUCK YEA!

Capitalism!

FUCK YEA!

Greed!

FUCK YEA!

Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

fuck yea.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerry Jones wants to sue the NFL if Goodell gets an extension.

Oh, I get it. When your star player gets the heavy handed punishment, you'll go ballistic and threaten lawsuits for a thing you have no say in because you're not on the committee that determines it. Gotcha.

I hope he loses his franchise and Goodell gets fired.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The owner of my team's archrival, Jerry Jones, one of the more noxious owners in the sport, is trying to get the impotent Commissioner Joffrey fired.

I don't know who to root for.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, usually its just the fans filing embarrassing, frivolous lawsuits.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."