Furniture Donation

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Furniture Donation

Post by The Sybian »

Why is it so damned hard to give away decent furniture? We bought new stuff, not expecting delivery in 3 days. Thought it took weeks. Anywho, got to get rid of stuff by Wednesday, and most of these charities require mint condition or charge you to pick it up WTF? A junkie moving into a halfway house should be happy with a moderately used sofa.

Put it up on freecyle and craigslist, no takers yet. Come on people, free couches! Our town only does bulk once a year, and the garbage service charge a small fortune. Anyone have any other suggestions of places to post?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Furniture Donation

Post by Brontoburglar »

You can't just drop it off at Goodwill and say adios? That's.... insane.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:You can't just drop it off at Goodwill and say adios? That's.... insane.
Pretty sure I can't fit 2 couches, a love seat and 2 recliners in the Camry. I'd really rather not pay to rent a U-Haul to give away furniture.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:You can't just drop it off at Goodwill and say adios? That's.... insane.
Pretty sure I can't fit 2 couches, a love seat and 2 recliners in the Camry. I'd really rather not pay to rent a U-Haul to give away furniture.
You don't know of anyone that has a truck to borrow?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
You don't know of anyone that has a truck to borrow?
I don't live in pickup truck "real America," and I doubt they will fit in a Sante Fe, Highlander or Pilot. My friends with trucks all have soccer mom style SUVs. The couches are 91 inches long.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Real America or not, "soccer mom style SUVs" are definitely not trucks!

You still get no points for not having a plan!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah Bronto. Syb's big D(ivan) is too much for the average woman's Enclave.

Or...

What kind of love seat are we talking about, Syb?

My mother in law just moved last month, and managed to find someone to come and take her 30 or 40 year old furniture. I think they did it for free, but even if she paid she didn't pay much. I'll see if my wife remembers who took it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Same thing happened to me. Women's shelter, Salvation Army, Jewish organizations... no one wanted the stuff. Sold a couple pieces for next to nothing on Craigslist and the rest was taken away by the city (and the junkman who circles the neighbourhood on garbage days).

I found it very odd at the time. I mean, I get constant phone calls looking for my old clothes - surely a decent couch is worth more than my old underwear?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:Same thing happened to me. Women's shelter, Salvation Army, Jewish organizations... no one wanted the stuff. Sold a couple pieces for next to nothing on Craigslist and the rest was taken away by the city (and the junkman who circles the neighbourhood on garbage days).

I found it very odd at the time. I mean, I get constant phone calls looking for my old clothes - surely a decent couch is worth more than my old underwear?

Don't sell yourself short, Pruitt. I'm sure people would lineup to pay top dollar for your underwear.

Bronto, my point is that in my neck of the woods, midsize SUVs is as close as it gets to owning a truck.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
What kind of love seat are we talking about, Syb?

Ha! I didn't even think about that. Got a call back from JunkLuggers. They pick up furniture for donations. $300. They can fuck off.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

While I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods, in LA, there is "oversize item trash pickup". You call to get on their schedule and set the item(s) out the night before. However, it is usually gone before the oversize item people show up.

So, my question is, can you just put the items out on the curb (with or without a sign that says "free") and let things take care of themselves?
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:While I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods, in LA, there is "oversize item trash pickup". You call to get on their schedule and set the item(s) out the night before. However, it is usually gone before the oversize item people show up.

So, my question is, can you just put the items out on the curb (with or without a sign that says "free") and let things take care of themselves?
Possibly, but we are on a very low traffic street. We thought about posting on freecycle saying it was outside, and put a sign on it, but if it didn't get picked up, it'd probably be ruined. Going to have to call the garbage service and see what they charge. Our town doesn't provide garbage, so you have to pay a private company. For the amount I'm paying in taxes, they should send a butler to empty my cans and take it out to the curb for me. Fucking New Jersey.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

True story...

About seven years ago or so, our old school 28" tv died. So, bought a small flat screen and put the old one (weighing over 50 pounds for sure) out on the curb the night before garbage pickup.

Next morning, it was gone before the garbage trucks arrived - we ha d laugh that whoever took the tv was in for a surprise because it was well and truly finished.

Two days later, I take the dog out for her early morning dump and there's the tv at the end of the driveway.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

In a similar boat with Syb, trying to offload a TV that's about 10 years old. In decent shape, but a heavy CRT tube unit that someone might take if convenient, but I doubt anyone would jump through hoops to get. Local Goodwill wont pick up, and it's too big/heavy for me to fit in my car. As Syb mentioned, the businesses offering to haul your stuff away want hundreds of dollars. I live in a condo complex so curbside pickup isn't really an option.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Set it out in front, and put a sign on it. "For Sale. Call BR-549" Someone will take it thinking they are getting a real steal.
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Syb, my MIL ended up dealing with Habitat for Humanity, 973-366-3358 ext. 111. She said she had to call them and leave a number of messages before they finally got back to her, but they were otherwise great. They came with a truck and a couple of guys and hauled everything out themselves.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You can't donate it to a local college frathouse for them to set on fire? I kid. Craigslist is the best bet. And if you live near a military base, even better. Some random just-moved-off-base soldier/airman would like a couch.

Also, the reason people don't want it is pretty much answered by your complaint: moving the motherfuckers. It's heavy, awkward, and not worth the possible back blowout. Why do you think IKEA is so damn popular? (Especially here. But furniture or mobel is a thing in Europe. The super heavy Belgian stuff is as expensive as it is heavy.)

The furniture I have was given to me by a buddy. It's a style of furniture where the cushion part separates from the base. It isn't heavy when in pieces. As a single dude with no owned house, I'd be out of my damn mind buying furniture -- especially when I move as often as I do. If I wasn't given this stuff I'd probably have lawn furniture in my living room because the stuff just isn't worth owning.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Craigslist or take it to my parents house and leave it in the front yard. High traffic street and nothing left has ever made it until the next morning.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I put a curb alert on craigslist yesterday for a bed set and bureau and it was gone in 15 minutes.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God