Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Post by Johnnie »

Not that this is an excuse by any means, but I learned very young that jumping in to save a drowning person could get you killed yourself because a person panicking will suck you under.

Note: I haven't watched the video, but I'd be hesitant unless I knew I wasn't going to get killed trying to save someone.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:12 pm Not that this is an excuse by any means, but I learned very young that jumping in to save a drowning person could get you killed yourself because a person panicking will suck you under.

Note: I haven't watched the video, but I'd be hesitant unless I knew I wasn't going to get killed trying to save someone.
You’re not wrong but that’s more true in the ocean or huge lake than a placid pond essentially.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I "rescued" a friend in high school (he was tall enough to stand but panicked. Not a pool guy, obviously) and it was a pretty intense struggle. And that was in a family pool where I had my footing even if he didn't. That said, I didn't taunt him instead of helping.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

As a lifeguard for 3 years at the JCC in Owings Mills, MD....made 1 save. Baby in a float flipped while mom was not paying attention (yapping away with someone else). Jumped in, flipped the kid up right, and the mom yanked the kid out of my arms...did not even offer a thank you.

But I learned very early in life guarding how dangerous a non-helpful rescue can be. We learned all kinds of tricks to get the person under control (including punching them in the face/nose, kick to the groin, pulling hair (including back hair).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You sure you didn't wander into an aquatic Krav Maga class?
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:25 pmBut I learned very early in life guarding how dangerous a non-helpful rescue can be. We learned all kinds of tricks to get the person under control (including ... face/nose... to the groin... hair).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Turns out being a Nazi Cop pays better than one would expect...

Kent to pay $1.5 million to settle dispute with assistant police chief who displayed Nazi insignia
The city of Kent will pay more than $1.5 million to settle a dispute with a former assistant police chief who was disciplined for posting a Nazi rank insignia on his office door and joking about the Holocaust.

Former Assistant Chief Derek Kammerzell had initially been given two weeks off without pay as discipline for his actions, but an outraged response by Kent citizens and members of the Jewish community resulted in Mayor Dana Ralph demanding Kammerzell’s resignation.

The city’s attempt to essentially discipline Kammerzell a second time led to a bitter dispute and standoff between his attorneys and the city that appeared headed for litigation. However, interim city Chief Administrative Officer Arthur “Pat” Fiztpatrick, who is also the city attorney, said Friday the city has resolved the matter through negotiation.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Albuquerque
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

See if that kid had had a gun, he could have defended himself against the violent intruders.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

ABQ is a pretty liberal city in a pretty liberal, but gun friendly state. The mayor is progressive dude and went semi viral by going on The Daily Show to get the money back from Trump for security detail when he visited a couple years back.

But cops are cops, I guess. Very sad all around.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 pm
And not one of them has been fired yet. The video of them running back down the hall at the sound of gunfire is damning.

And I feel bad for the journalists who had to edit the video to remove the screams of children being murdered.

The mind reels...I can't imagine what the families are going through after seeing this.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, even as sanatized as that video is, what a fucking nightmare. I won't reiterate the coward stuff, because it's just incredibly obvious just how low these guys are on this front. Pathetic. Sad.

I will say, it's really fucking stupid and shitty to take a shot at one a very few guys that was clearly not armed for sanitizing. I'm obviously making an assumption, but don't you think that guy was probably a medic/doctor gearing up to go treat victims? I know it's not anywhere close to the main point, but I just find people's lack of critical reasoning pretty frustrating.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

These guys like to go home too. More of a failure in leadership id say not to order the officers to do it. I bet they would have. If one of those guys were shot dead, would you rather explain to your kid why daddy got scared and left some kids to die or got dead and theres no more family now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just insane there's more of an onus on teachers to sacrifice their lives for 4th graders than there is on the armed and armored cops.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:49 pm These guys like to go home too. More of a failure in leadership id say not to order the officers to do it. I bet they would have. If one of those guys were shot dead, would you rather explain to your kid why daddy got scared and left some kids to die or got dead and theres no more family now.
If a person isn’t willing to have the answer be the second response then they shouldn’t become an officer.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:49 pm These guys like to go home too. More of a failure in leadership id say not to order the officers to do it. I bet they would have. If one of those guys were shot dead, would you rather explain to your kid why daddy got scared and left some kids to die or got dead and theres no more family now.
If a person isn’t willing to have the answer be the second response then they shouldn’t become an officer.
Right. It's OK to not be a fucking cop.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:59 pm
But then how are you going to legally shoot black people?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It's their job to protect the lives of civilians, even when it means risking their own. That's why the get paid really well for spending 90% of their time doing nothing. I've watched 2 officers sit in their car in front of my house watching Netflix for 4 straight weeks guarding a utility worksite. And that is all overtime. That's the perk of potentially being in a life threatening situation. Not too mention retiring early with a nice pension. And I'm extremely empathetic towards the family. I watched my father grab his gun and kevlar vest and leave the house on a manhunt for gunman on the loose who just killed an officer. That's the job.

Also want to acknowledge my horrible takes when the news of this shooting first came out. The reports of the police (lack of) action were so shocking, I refused to believe the media was accurate. I wanted people to wait before attacking the police until the true story came out, but everything coming out from the police is obvious lies and attempts to cover up the truth, which is even worse. Eh, I stand by calling for people to wait for the full story, just turns out in this case, the early reports turned out to seem accurate. Still not sure if the officers are to blame, but their Chief is certainly the main culprit. From what I've seen, he refused to accept responsibility at first, saying he didn't realize it was his responsibility to make the decisions. Maybe some confusion with multiple law enforcement groups onsite, but how can a Chief not know the protocol? I think he was scared and froze, and just flat out made some horrendous decisions to hold his officers back and he is trying to make excuses.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yep.

And, look, I have absolutely the highest respect for first responders (including fire fighters, paramedics, etc.) who rush into life-threatening situations. That shit isn't for everybody, no question.

But that's what they signed up for, Citgo. You don't get to plaster Blue Lives Matter all over every surface and talk about how unique you are in our society and then... Fuck off when things get scary. That's the fucking job.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:01 pm
But then how are you going to legally shoot black people?
Move to a Southern state?
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

And maybe some cops are just dicks, no matter what uniform they wear, as you'll see Houston Sgt. Kenneth Wendt purposefully bumps and pulls back arms of 9-year-olds after his team loses.

He was fired from his "job" as a Little League coach, but do we really need him to "serve and protect" anymore?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

When people try to defend police and say that there are just some bad apples, I then reply whether they would ever fly commercial if airline pilots had the same percentage of bad apples as police.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 pm When people try to defend police and say that there are just some bad apples, I then reply whether they would ever fly commercial if airline pilots had the same percentage of bad apples as police.
I have more of a problem with the police who cover for bad apples than I do with the bad apples. I expect an asshole cop to be an asshole, but I also expect the rest of the cops to want to clean up their department and not condone bad acts.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:34 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:31 pm When people try to defend police and say that there are just some bad apples, I then reply whether they would ever fly commercial if airline pilots had the same percentage of bad apples as police.
I have more of a problem with the police who cover for bad apples than I do with the bad apples. I expect an asshole cop to be an asshole, but I also expect the rest of the cops to want to clean up their department and not condone bad acts.
Have you ever seen any cop movie, ever?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"Look, I get he's having some trouble lately overshooting the runway and the landing gear snapping off, but he's having some stresses at home."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

All correct. Just that most cops can go a while (career?) without ever putting yourself in knowing shot at situations. Not necessarily surprising when someone declines the opportunity is all. Yes bad cop. Yes still going to baseball games cop. The kids is what makes you cringe but other people's kids and all.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I want to photoshop Wordle onto his screen.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:43 pm All correct. Just that most cops can go a while (career?) without ever putting yourself in knowing shot at situations. Not necessarily surprising when someone declines the opportunity is all. Yes bad cop. Yes still going to baseball games cop. The kids is what makes you cringe but other people's kids and all.
Same excuses or empathy if an entire station of firefighters got scared and stood outside while an elementary school burned down? Lots have families at home.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah. Danger of fire seems less life threatening than that of an active shooter. Basically if you go into a fire you should expect to be saved by other firemen. Even then, that particular firefighter gets to make a series of judgment calls that can manage their risk of death. Not so much when you kick in a door with an active shooter inside.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I bet way more fire fighters have died in fires than cops have been shot by school shooters.

Dude, you're way fucking wrong here.
Last edited by Giff on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Come on man!

"Serve and Protect" is supposed to apply to the citizens not to the police themselves.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not trying to pile on, but I guess you haven't read much or seen documentaries about firefighting.

That shit is absolutely and utterly terrifying. Thing is, firefighters don't like to talk about it (from the material I've encountered) so the average citizen has very little knowledge of just how crazy their jobs can be.

I think the documentary with Steve Buschemi is the best I've seen on this. Basically, these guys go into situations where visibility gets reduced down to zero and they are trying to put out flames while blind and suffering unthinkable heat and smoke clogging up their oxygen masks/apparatus.

As with the police, many firefighters can go years and years without dealing with a big, bad inferno. But you don't ever hear of those guys just saying "fuck it, this is scary."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:14 am I bet way more fire fighters have died in fires than cops have been shot by school shooters.

Dude, you're way fucking wrong here.
Maybe, but way more fires than school shooters.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So one group is constantly putting themselves in danger and the other bailed their first and probably only time out of self-preservation. Heroic.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I saw a headline (but didn't click through) that the officer shown on his phone with the Punisher logo is actually the husband of a teacher who was murdered in the school. That paints that picture of checking his phone a lot differently. Of course, you could also argue that it makes it harder to understand why he'd just stand around.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:26 pm I saw a headline (but didn't click through) that the officer shown on his phone with the Punisher logo is actually the husband of a teacher who was murdered in the school. That paints that picture of checking his phone a lot differently. Of course, you could also argue that it makes it harder to understand why he'd just stand around.
Good little fascists always follow orders.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt3 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:11 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:26 pm I saw a headline (but didn't click through) that the officer shown on his phone with the Punisher logo is actually the husband of a teacher who was murdered in the school. That paints that picture of checking his phone a lot differently. Of course, you could also argue that it makes it harder to understand why he'd just stand around.
Good little fascists always follow orders.
In the weeks immediately following the shooting, Mireles and her husband, the officer Ruben Ruiz, were part of the story of Uvalde, and Ruiz’s plight was told sympathetically—as an officer on the scene who attempted to enter the classroom before being detained and disarmed by his fellow officers, as his wife lay dying a few feet away. Moody affirmed that account, and the video does not contradict it. (After Ruiz announces to the other police on the scene that his wife had been shot, he leaves the frame, and doesn’t return.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Were the spouses of the other 399 LEOs on site also victims?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”