Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Post by mister d »

Read that yesterday and hope they choose to make that one free.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jesus Christ. Holy fucking shit. This is absolutely fucking batshit insane.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 am Jesus Christ. Holy fucking shit. This is absolutely fucking batshit insane.

Wow, certainly doesn’t look good. What is the context, did the suspect have a bomb he was going to detonate in the store? I can’t imagine much else warrants shooting a guy in the back for trying to scoot into Lowe’s.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That toolbox was made of gold and held whatever was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Full details.

The murderer has already been fired.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't want to get too in the weeds on that story, and I don't feel like re-reading the account from the lawyer another time, but... Something doesn't really add up there.

He says an employee told him that a guy in a wheelchair stole a toolbox, so I guess that happened at the front of the store, copper hops in his car, but there are already 2 POs on the scene. So, already that's a weird wrinkle. The lawyer's account makes it sound like the bad cop was on the scene and this guy was approaching him. Obviously not the case.

The other thing that is likely just an error on the person that posted that video, but it says "Lowe's surveillance"... not a big deal, but confusing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

It is astounding to me that Security Guards (which is what this cop was working as at the time) are fully armed.

Also, there's this from the killer's lawyer. And while obviously he is defending his client, this quote is chilling:
Tucson attorney Mike Storie, who is representing Remington, said in a statement that his client "had no non-lethal options."
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

And to makes thing more normal they had to bring in the criminal past of Mr. Richards. Because he was a convicted criminal it is deemed appropriate to use lethal force over a fucking toolbox from WalMart.

Couldn't use taser my ass. He never even pulled it from his waist. From the other officer's body cam, the murderer had his gun drawn the whole time. He knew what the fuck he was doing. They need to bring every possible charge against this fucker. All over a fucking toolbox from Walmart. Ooh, the man in the mobility scooter had a knife, I must kill him so he doesn't ever steal from the Walton's again. How could they ever recover from such an egregious action against them.

And you can tell from the body cam footage of the female officer that she was taken aback by the use of deadly force. And to throw in the fact that he put the life of the Lowe's employee in danger by firing in her direction. Over a fucking toolbox. And that mean man in the mobility scooter didn't listen to him. Fucking small brained loser pig.

I spent too much time last night in the Reddit rabbit hole after seeing this post.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

While I have yet to see anything warranting the use of deadly force, the victim did pull a knife on the officer according to reports. From what I see, he wasn't about to stab anyone, but pulling a knife on a cop is a bit more than stealing a toolbox. If the guy was in the act of attacking the officer, I could see shooting being justified. Not sure the rule if he was about to stab the Lowes employee if the officer could shoot, but he clearly wasn't. It seems the officer was reacting to the victim refusing to stop or drop the knife, and he sure as fuck didn't need to shoot. The scooter was slow as fuck, and he wasn't about to kill someone.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

He didn't pull a knife on the pig, he showed a knife to the Walmart employee when asked about a receipt. At least that is what I have interpreted from the different news articles that I have read. At that point the Walmart employee let the off-duty swine know about what happened and they followed the man through the parking lot to the entrance of Lowes. At no time in the body cam footage or the surveillance footage from Lowes does the murdered man make any type of actions as if to threaten the murderer or the Lowes employee that was standing near the entrance.

And if you have seen the footage of them following the man from Walmart, it does not show any attempt to threaten anyone with the knife.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:22 pm He didn't pull a knife on the pig, he showed a knife to the Walmart employee when asked about a receipt. At least that is what I have interpreted from the different news articles that I have read. At that point the Walmart employee let the off-duty swine know about what happened and they followed the man through the parking lot to the entrance of Lowes. At no time in the body cam footage or the surveillance footage from Lowes does the murdered man make any type of actions as if to threaten the murderer or the Lowes employee that was standing near the entrance.

And if you have seen the footage of them following the man from Walmart, it does not show any attempt to threaten anyone with the knife.
Even worse.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Arizona is an open carry without a permit state too, btw.

So even if the dude had a gun, what happened here still isn't defensible.

This guy was clearly a small-dicked lowlife who felt killing someone was his right because he had a gun and badge.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This story is mind-blowing...

Police in this tiny Alabama town suck drivers into legal ‘black hole’
The town of 1,253 just north of Birmingham reported just 55 serious crimes to the state in the entire eight year period between 2011 and 2018 – none of them homicide or rape. But in 2018 it began building a police empire, hiring more and more officers to blanket its six miles of roads and mile-and-a-half jurisdiction on Interstate 22.

By 2020 Brookside made more misdemeanor arrests than it has residents. It went from towing 50 vehicles in 2018 to 789 in 2020 – each carrying fines. That’s a 1,478% increase, with 1.7 tows for every household in town.

The growth has come with trouble to match. Brookside officers have been accused in lawsuits of fabricating charges, using racist language and “making up laws” to stack counts on passersby. Defendants must pay thousands in fines and fees – or pay for costly appeals to state court – and poorer residents or passersby fall into patterns of debt they cannot easily escape.

“Brookside is a poster child for policing for profit,” said Carla Crowder, the director of Alabama Appleseed Center for Law & Justice, a nonprofit devoted to justice and equity. “We are not safer because of it.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I was surprised that wasn’t one of the podunk towns you pass on the road from Atlanta to Destin. Because let me tell you, the only way to do that drive is fast.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I follow a YouTube channel called Audit The Audit where it breaks down interactions by police and civilians.

Some of these fucking pigs are downright pathetic shitheads with sudden authority. Exactly like the parodied character Cartman plays.

I can tell just by the way this dude talks that he's a know it all fuckbag that needs the last word. Give him a gun and badge and he's ruthless.

Warning: prepared to get infuriated if you watch this.

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 am This story is mind-blowing...

The town of 1,253 just north of Birmingham reported just 55 serious crimes to the state in the entire eight year period between 2011 and 2018 – none of them homicide or rape. But in 2018 it began building a police empire, hiring more and more officers to blanket its six miles of roads and mile-and-a-half jurisdiction on Interstate 22.

By 2020 Brookside made more misdemeanor arrests than it has residents. It went from towing 50 vehicles in 2018 to 789 in 2020 – each carrying fines. That’s a 1,478% increase, with 1.7 tows for every household in town.

The growth has come with trouble to match. Brookside officers have been accused in lawsuits of fabricating charges, using racist language and “making up laws” to stack counts on passersby. Defendants must pay thousands in fines and fees – or pay for costly appeals to state court – and poorer residents or passersby fall into patterns of debt they cannot easily escape.

“Brookside is a poster child for policing for profit,” said Carla Crowder, the director of Alabama Appleseed Center for Law & Justice, a nonprofit devoted to justice and equity. “We are not safer because of it.”
"Law and Order" pretty much defined.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

pruitt2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 am This story is mind-blowing...

"Law and Order" pretty much defined.
Sounds rather similar to Rockford Files, S2:E11 Pastoria Prime Pick.
Rockford takes a dislike to the small town he's visiting when a bogus repair bill is followed by phony criminal charges. Aided by his father and attorney, Rockford takes on the hamlet's corrupt mayor, sheriff and prosecuting attorney.
Noli Timere Messorem
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

DiS, I had the same reaction to that article. Super pissed. Their cops don’t wear uniforms identifying that they are cops. All patrol cars are unmarked. They also have this riot control vehicle for a town of 1200 (with a dollar general being the only store):

There’s a sister story that adds more detail to a specific case in the town: https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/pastor ... venge.html

DDA61093-B1BA-440C-8043-FC8AE700882A.jpeg
DDA61093-B1BA-440C-8043-FC8AE700882A.jpeg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 851 times
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

In a town of 1200, I'd say everyone should know who the cops are at this point.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 am In a town of 1200, I'd say everyone should know who the cops are at this point.
Majority of arrests are non-residents passing through on their 1.5 mile stretch of interstate.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 am In a town of 1200, I'd say everyone should know who the cops are at this point.
Majority of arrests are non-residents passing through on their 1.5 mile stretch of interstate.
Oh, I was supposed to read something? Seems like a lot of work for a guy who has clearly given up today.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hate that military hand me downs go to local law enforcement. What a waste of fucking money.

MRAPs are designed to withstand IEDs while on convoys, not intimidate Americans.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

And they get pulled over for total bullshit....like driving in the left lane of the interstate.

There's one story about a woman pulling into town, seeing a cop, thinking its evening time, I should put my lights on just in case. So she does, and gets pulled over anyways. The cop charges her with 'blinking her lights to alert other motorists about his presence'.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 pm
And they get pulled over for total bullshit....like driving in the left lane of the interstate.

There's one story about a woman pulling into town, seeing a cop, thinking its evening time, I should put my lights on just in case. So she does, and gets pulled over anyways. The cop charges her with 'blinking her lights to alert other motorists about his presence'.
That isn’t a crime and has been confirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court as being protected speech. That’s why Google Maps added the “report speed trap” to the app a year or two ago.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 pm

That isn’t a crime and has been confirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court as being protected speech. That’s why Google Maps added the “report speed trap” to the app a year or two ago.
Doesn't matter to those cops. There's other examples of people getting cited for things that aren't actually illegal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 pm

Sounds like they were losing to Waze in that department.

But still, good on them for the feature add.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well...they bought Waze.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:41 pm Well...they bought Waze.
Holy crap. They did that in 2013. Where have I been?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sounds like that town is doing an extreme version of what a number of deep-south towns have done for decades. There are places in South Carolina, Georgia, and north Florida that I recall being warned about never speeding through - not even 1 mile over. They had set up steep fines for the most minor of offenses and treat the highway through town as a chief town revenue source. Essentially, they're modern highwaymen. Just one of a jillion ways our justice system is fucked up.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:47 pm Sounds like that town is doing an extreme version of what a number of deep-south towns have done for decades. There are places in South Carolina, Georgia, and north Florida that I recall being warned about never speeding through - not even 1 mile over. They had set up steep fines for the most minor of offenses and treat the highway through town as a chief town revenue source. Essentially, they're modern highwaymen. Just one of a jillion ways our justice system is fucked up.
There's a town in Southern Colorado named Dove Creek that was like that. It was on the route between my parents home and Salt Lake, so I drove through it many times when I was in college. They would pull you over for anything.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I know Dove Creek! There is also a town in western Colorado called Parachute that was famous for its speed trap. Interstate 70 went right through the middle of that town as a two-lane road when I was in high school, so the speed limit went from 70 to 50 to 30 in nothing flat. But, a few years later, they expanded I-70 with a new 4-lane highway that bypassed the town, and then they lost all their revenue.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

This seems excessive, no? Especially after all those shots fired, why not add two shotgun blasts at the end like you're responding to a secret door knock.

Man shot on Nashville highway. Video at the end pauses right after he brandishes a "shiny object" and before shots are fired, but the audio goes on.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

And then there's this...

Redmond officer who killed woman had been fired from another law-enforcement agency
The Redmond police officer who shot and killed Andrea Churna, an unarmed 39-year-old mother as she tried to surrender to officers in September 2020, had been dismissed as a probationary Whatcom County sheriff’s deputy 14 months earlier for poor performance, according to records.

Daniel Mendoza, 26, struggled with virtually every aspect of police work during his seven months as a probationary sheriff’s deputy, unable to recite statutes, routinely getting lost while responding to calls, writing muddled reports and failing tests on topics ranging from when using force was appropriate to the county’s pursuit policies.

The preceding 720 hours he spent learning to become a peace officer at the Washington State Criminal Justice Training academy wasn’t much better — while he looked sharp and was enthusiastic, he was last in his class academically, and repeatedly failed a key test mock scenario, preventing his graduation. The academy only certified him as a peace officer after Whatcom County intervened to help him pass on his third and last try, according to personnel records obtained through public disclosure by The Seattle Times.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Man drowns as Arizona police watch: ‘I’m not jumping in after you’

So what's the point of these people? Other than fellow cops, who exactly do they serve and/or protect?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

pruitt2 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:50 am Man drowns as Arizona police watch: ‘I’m not jumping in after you’

So what's the point of these people? Other than fellow cops, who exactly do they serve and/or protect?
I wonder what their original police report said before the body camera footage came out.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You can't expect the cops to give a fuck about a homeless person. They're there to serve and protect people who look like them -- white, male, employed, ideally conservative.

Everyone else is a drain on society.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:02 am You can't expect the cops to give a fuck about a homeless person. They're there to serve and protect people who look like them -- white, male, employed, ideally conservative.

Everyone else is a drain on society.
Ready to get even more pissed?

We now know that these cops care more about a dog than a homeless person...