Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Post by Johnnie »

Feel the Rhythm! Feel the Rhyme! Get on up, it's curfew time!

Man, that presser was a shitshow.

Are people finally becoming self aware enough that there are more 'us' than 'them' and that putting 'them' on their heels is exactly what needs to be done?

Also, is there a way to borrow that Balko book somehow? Kind of hard to find a library in Germany. I'll try the library on base, but something I can put on my Kindle is preferable.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Tonight's going well.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So it's finally found its way to bring on my feed, so I'm sure it has on other feeds as well. My idiot right wing nutjob friends are sharing articles from idiot right wing nutjob websites with a 10 minute video on YouTube of what happened after the shooting. This one: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shows Michael Brown dead in the middle of the street. Everyone is apoplectic and in shock that he was killed for no reason. But sometime around the middle of the video a dude can be heard giving his recollection of witnessing it live. He mentions the boy running from the cops and then double backing and going toward the cops. That's when he was lit up, according the just released autopsy, at least 6 times.

I'm not a lawyer. But if the eventual defense lawyer for Darren Wilson were going to use that as defense to justify shooting an unarmed teenager, he's the worst lawyer ever.

But what this does is see who's racist on your Facebook feed and delete them appropriately.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

National Guard def will help to calm things down.

#newark #kentstate #andothers
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

John Oliver brings some fucking heat.

And how many here caught this prescient Bill Maher bit from his show back in mid July?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The police went full retard before the curfew.

Kids and media were hit with shit while the peaceful protest was barricaded in.

Even Chris Hayes was threatened to be maced.

Unreal.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Did anybody post this, yet? I thought it was kind of funny.

How the media would cover Ferguson, MO, if it happened in another country.
Missouri, far-removed from the glistening capital city of Washington, is ostensibly ruled by a charismatic but troubled official named Jay Nixon, who has appeared unable to successfully intervene and has resisted efforts at mediation from central government officials. Complicating matters, President Obama is himself a member of the minority sect protesting in Ferguson, which is ruled overwhelmingly by members of America's majority "white people" sect.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I'm using this. Some of my best friends are members of that sect:
…America's majority "white people" sect.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd enjoy reading the "Eric Holder is coming" and "Eric Holder is a black guy" memo and sub-memo that presumably went out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Protests have spread to downtown STL and protesters are being blocked from the Wainwright State Office building in downtown STL.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For once, I wish I was at our office in downtown STL.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Reading about last nights' problems showed the sort of confused reporting that allows incidents like this to be a Rorschach test of how you see the world. One set of reporters said the police fired and tear gassed the protesters without provocation and with little warning. Another set said the protesters had fired shots at the police and thrown Molotov cocktails. Of course, other reporters then said they hadn't seen any of that - which of course doesn't make either side wrong - not everyone is going to see everything, but it allows readers to pick and choose the narrative they prefer.

My guess is that there WERE a few Molotov cocktails tossed, but I doubt anyone fired shots at the police. If gunshots had been fired, they would have hit something (or somebody) and we'd have conclusive evidence. I'm guessing that the gunshots heard were actually fired among the protesters, since apparently there was a shooting and a dude in critical condition.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:Reading about last nights' problems showed the sort of confused reporting that allows incidents like this to be a Rorschach test of how you see the world. One set of reporters said the police fired and tear gassed the protesters without provocation and with little warning. Another set said the protesters had fired shots at the police and thrown Molotov cocktails. Of course, other reporters then said they hadn't seen any of that - which of course doesn't make either side wrong - not everyone is going to see everything, but it allows readers to pick and choose the narrative they prefer.

My guess is that there WERE a few Molotov cocktails tossed, but I doubt anyone fired shots at the police. If gunshots had been fired, they would have hit something (or somebody) and we'd have conclusive evidence. I'm guessing that the gunshots heard were actually fired among the protesters, since apparently there was a shooting and a dude in critical condition.
It was a false flag attack! The police threw Molotov cocktails at themselves to provide a cover for shooting into the crowd!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I've read that there were live cameras that showed nothing after the first report of molotov cocktails a few days ago. Was any of this caught on video this time?
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

WTF? I'm just back from four days camping and I can't believe this is still going on. Didn't this get defused when the Highway Patrol took over for the local cops on Thursday? Did it abate and flare up again, or has it just been the same every night? Is this bring driven by insane cops or are there really outside agitators now?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:National Guard def will help to calm things down.

#newark #kentstate #andothers
Am I wrong in thinking that the National Guard consists of part-timers?

Also - not sure how the belief that a powder keg like this could be adequately controlled by traffic cops could have got any traction.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Shirley wrote:…showed the sort of confused reporting…
The situation is far far worse than confused reporting. This is the abject failure of journalism in America. On full display. Another long-standing spiral downward now fully realized.

Accurate, high-quality reportage and journalism is so rare I am shocked when I encounter it. Haven't been shocked on this story.
Steve of phpBB wrote:WTF? I'm just back from four days camping and I can't believe this is still going on.
I don't know what is worse, 0bama going on vacation, or you abandoning the nation when we need you most. It's Steve's Fault (Ukraine too!)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The Pros And Cons Of Militarizing The PoliceImage
PROS

•Same tactics used successfully in Afghanistan, Iraq

•Modern law enforcement simply cannot do their job properly by relying on handguns, tasers, and tear gas alone

•A real shot in arm for nation’s ailing weapons industry

•Look on driver’s face when tank pulls up beside Mini Cooper always fun

•Local photojournalists now able to capture fog of war at home

•Nice surprise treat for veterans to see weapons they used in war pop up on their hometown streets

•Never a bad idea to put a more powerful gun in someone’s hand

•Actually going to seem pretty quaint when compared with police armaments 20 years from now

CONS

• Most police officers have proven fully capable of violently subduing protesters without any military-grade weapons

• It actually very hard to recite Miranda rights while holding 40-pound grenade launcher

• There no longer any middle ground between community watch and military

• Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles only get 5 miles per gallon

• Jesus, just look at this shit

• Military-style helmets limit peripheral vision while firing indiscriminately into crowd

• Could potentially be abused if put in lesser hands than America’s historically honest and virtuous police departments

• Takes away that personal touch of beating a suspect to death with bare hands

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Onion has been soooo good.
joeyclams
Maude Lebowski

Post by joeyclams »

Any of you guys seen this bullshit yet?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... llenge-me/
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

We have a justice system in which you are presumed innocent; if a cop can do his or her job unmolested, that system can run its course.
Oh, right, it's that easy!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I imagine I wouldn't be in the first 10,000 to make a Stephen A. Smith joke, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:WTF? I'm just back from four days camping and I can't believe this is still going on.
I don't know what is worse, 0bama going on vacation, or you abandoning the nation when we need you most. It's Steve's Fault (Ukraine too!)
Heh.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think the reporters seem more interested in picking up trophy arrests than reporting.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The side missions are always more fun
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

At least someone on the ground is reporting accurate and important facts:

alex fritz ‏@boxcar_fritz 10h
Protestors in ferguson are doing a I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN chant. Is this real life? #USMNT

(fritz' twitter stream has been outstanding. sure, it always is, but his commentary has risen to this serious occasion wonderfully.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Vice News seems to be reporting quite well on their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vicenews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And at what point do civilians just go to the mattresses? And when does this snowball into something bigger? Does it have the potential?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

http://gawker.com/anonymous-singles-out ... 1624229454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel like there's a parallel b/w the cops not releasing the shooter's name and Anonymous not releasing the hacker's name.

(I guess the parallel hinges on the belief most of them don't know each other's actual identities and they're shielding him from prosecution. If he knows who they are, it weakens my point.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:http://gawker.com/anonymous-singles-out ... 1624229454

I feel like there's a parallel b/w the cops not releasing the shooter's name and Anonymous not releasing the hacker's name.

(I guess the parallel hinges on the belief most of them don't know each other's actual identities and they're shielding him from prosecution. If he knows who they are, it weakens my point.)
My understanding is that this guy isn't part of Anonymous, just uses Anon in his Twitter handle. It is really fucked up to release a name when you don't know for sure, but I think it is fucked up for Gawker to repeat the name in the article. No reason to bring the innocent officer's name out again. But to answer your question, there is a huge difference between the police, a tax payer funded organization tasked with the duty to serve and protect the citizens, and a subversive group trying to expose government lies and a useless media. The police need to be held accountable. If the hacker is arrested, I'm sure his name will be released.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's definitely a difference, but the transparency post-crime group hiding an identity only they presumably know feels a bit double standard-ish.

(Also, I read it as he's in the group, as so much as you can be in an informal group, just a known wildcard.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:There's definitely a difference, but the transparency post-crime group hiding an identity only they presumably know feels a bit double standard-ish.

(Also, I read it as he's in the group, as so much as you can be in an informal group, just a known wildcard.)
So basically the IsItStinky of Anonymous?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That is the perfect comp.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It's not a double standard if you're nihilist and don't believe in standards.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Deadspin article wrote:This is remarkably bad copping.

Today, a video was uploaded to YouTube of last night's Ferguson protests in the wake of Michael Brown's killing. It shows a police office prowling the street among dozens of protesters milling about. He has a rifle, and has it raised and aimed at peaceful civilians. The money shot comes about 30 seconds in, when he points the gun directly at multiple people and says, "I will fucking kill you. Get back!"

The person recording the video then asks the officer for his name. "Go fuck yourself," he replies.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Why on earth is Obama not in Missouri right now?

Is there anyone else who could calm this situation down?

Two hour flight there, three hours or so on the ground, two hour flight home.

Seriously, this is becoming his Katrina.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Obama doesn't care about black people.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:Is there anyone else who could calm this situation down?
Do you think having Obama there would calm things down or inflame them further?

He might calm the protestors down, but the cops?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Is there anyone else who could calm this situation down?
Do you think having Obama there would calm things down or inflame them further?

He might calm the protestors down, but the cops?
I was thinking about the angry population of Ferguson. Nothing calms a cop down.