Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Why Do Local Cops Need Camoflauge?

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
The Sybian wrote:As many have said before, America won't wake up as long as we have our cable TV, broadband internet, Kardashian-style "news" and accessible food. Things need to continue to deteriorate down the path they are heading until we reach a tipping point. Once income disparity reaches a level where enough people are struggling to get by, we'll see a movement take shape. The Tea Party has become bigger and lasted longer than I would have thought possible. OTOH, they never would have taken off (or subverted the original ideas of the TP) if not for FoxNews driving the movement. The problem is, the idiot brigade is screeching for policies that will only benefit the wealthy and corporations and the detriment of the rest of us. It is really shocking how far the wealth of the 99% has fallen since 1980, and how much power and control multinational corps have assumed.

People already are struggling, they don't seem to even realize it, and at their core they believe in what they perceive to be the rationale behind it.
I agree, but as long as struggling people remain distracted with all of our electronic devices and TV, and are able to eat, we remain placated. I think my generation is in for a major shock when we reach retirement age. A huge percentage don't have a retirement savings account or much in savings to begin with. The days of using your home as an economic nest egg are gone and may never come back. Salaries have not increased much nearly as much as inflation, and nobody outside of a union has a pension. And unions are a dying concept. Social Security, at best, will be a fraction of what it historically has been.

Oh, retirement is going to be crazy for us. Me and Nicole just finally woke up and started getting long-term financial planning going. Buying a house is ridiculous these days. She said something recently along the lines of how other people can do so much (my opinion is debt, no savings/long term outlook for the most part) and how it's so hard for us despite our relatively high combined income (most of it hers). And she's pretty far to the right. I think that's when she started to realize that shit is fucked up and bullshit.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Also, you can only embed three quotes in the Swamp, AND THAT IS TRES FUCKED UP
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'd just like to point out that all this military grade gear must be costing the taxpayers an awful lot.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:I'd just like to point out that all this military grade gear must be costing the taxpayers an awful lot.
The Tea Party doesn't care about gubmint spending as long as it's on stuff that kills black people.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A few more questions I have. (The fact reporting in this story has lagged way behind the emoting and the opining.)

Which PD is in charge of this shitshow right now? Is it still Ferguson PD?
Is Ferguson part of a county with a police department?
Is there a governor in this state who could maybe do something?
Is there a president in this country "" "" "" "" ""?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Ok Missouri, you're legit SEC now.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I see the questions asking Nixon to get involved, but what is the state's option(s) here? Send in the National Guard to control the police?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If the police are acting in an illegal manner ... isn't that exactly what should happen?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote:I see the questions asking Nixon to get involved, but what is the state's option(s) here? Send in the National Guard to control the police?
He can call in the National Guard to take the place of the St Louis County police. Which could very likely considerably de-escalate things.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:If the police are acting in an illegal manner ... isn't that exactly what should happen?
I'm not saying it shouldn't. But if it seems to be the only possible outcome, why are there simply the cries about "Where is the governor?" rather than a call for the Guard?

And Brian, ignore got you on that one.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Also, I'm probably not using the right Google terms here, but the two high-profile incidents where the Guard has been brought in were in LA and Detroit. And for those purposes, it was because of civilians rather than police, no? Would this be unprecedented if the NG was brought in as enforcement for the supposed enforcement rather than re-enforcement?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Most counties have a police force. Every state has one. Really, a 50-man municipal police squad going all GI Joe on the local populace is not something that should have ever reached the level where people are calling for the Feds to step in. And yet, here we are.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Brontoburglar wrote:Also, I'm probably not using the right Google terms here, but the two high-profile incidents where the Guard has been brought in were in LA and Detroit. And for those purposes, it was because of civilians rather than police, no? Would this be unprecedented if the NG was brought in as enforcement for the supposed enforcement rather than re-enforcement?

Much of the 50's and 60's in the South
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:Also, I'm probably not using the right Google terms here, but the two high-profile incidents where the Guard has been brought in were in LA and Detroit. And for those purposes, it was because of civilians rather than police, no? Would this be unprecedented if the NG was brought in as enforcement for the supposed enforcement rather than re-enforcement?

That's comforting. And maybe we're not SEC material after all.

Good reading for tomorrow.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rex wrote:

That includes South-Central, 1965.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Firing into a peaceful protest of civilians and journalists is always a good thing. The craziness starts around 6:55.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feels like I'll be listening to a lot of N.W.A. today. What a fucked up country we've made.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Firing into a peaceful protest of civilians and journalists is always a good thing. The craziness starts around 6:55.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfucking believable. Just regular people standing in a suburban neighborhood. Standing. with their hands in the air a block and a half away from the police line. No throwing of objects. Not even chanting threats to the police. Peaceful civil disobedience. Why the need for launching smoke grenades or whatever the fuck those exploding things were. Firing rubber bullets into the crowd? For what? Shouldn't the police be trying to deescalate and try to prevent future violence and riots, or stand around making sure nobody gets hurt? Props to the guy filming this and letting us see what is really happening. Risking his safety and breathing in tear gas.

Anybody see the videos of the two reporters arrested in McDonalds? Just sitting there, recharging their laptops and typing. Police come in ordering everyone out. Gives them 45 seconds and cuffs them. Another reporter tweeted that he called the police chief, who sounded deflated when the reporter told him they arrested 2 reporters. The reporters were let go after 45 minutes and not even processed. That's good, at least.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote:Shouldn't the police be trying to deescalate and try to prevent future violence and riots, or stand around making sure nobody gets hurt?
Do you think they want to deescalate or do you think they want a confrontation? Not all, but a certain type of officer that exists everywhere and seems prevalent there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, looks like Anonymous just did the police dept's job and released the shooter's name.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nate Silver likes burritos.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

TheAnonMessage @TheAnonMessage · 34m
We have video of Mike Brown's body being shoved into the back of a PD SUV. No EMS was on the scene at all as we first thought. #Ferguson
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You know it's bad when the ACLU comes out directly and states that you can videotape the police doing their job. That always seems like one of those things that you have to ask the question for in order to get an answer too.

Plus, the local alderman that was protesting with them was arrested. That's fun. And also, a female media member got tear gassed too.

This is a clusterfuck and a half.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watching these videos, I learned something. I always thought Nelly was trying to sound cool with his goofy pronunciation of words like "here." The accent cracks me up.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

MO Gov. Nixon just confirmed that state police and federal authorities are relieving the St. Louis County PD of their duties.

See, was that so hard? Something tells me that they won't be aiming sniper rifles and throwing tear gas at the protestors tonight.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Twitter just suspended Anonymous' "message" account.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or did Anonymous request the suspension of their message account???
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's a town a few miles outside of where I grew up (pop. 3,900) and a full-time police force of four people that has two Humvees and two armored personnel carriers.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is what they did to the Al-Jazeera English media. There's also video out there too.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Entire courses should be taught about the day the first black POTUS made a statement about racially charged police violence FROM MARTHA'S VINEYARD.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I asked for my BEIGE topsiders, not my tan ones. Who the fuck would wear tan with this outfit?"
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey, Oak Bluffs, bitches. Black vacation community for doctors, lawyers and other bourgeoisie for over a hundred years.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Hey, Oak Bluffs, bitches. Black vacation community for doctors, lawyers and other bourgeoisie for over a hundred years.
No wonder Clinton spent so much time there.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

ANyone see this (I've been gone all morning and sorry if its a repost)

http://toprightnews.com/?p=5133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Waiting for a similar video from police officers asking why they need to shoot unarmed black kids in the back.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They can't figure out a way to do it without videotaping themselves
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Waiting for a similar video from police officers asking why they need to shoot unarmed black kids in the back.
Because he was turned around and they couldn't shoot him in the front?

But yeah, I get your point for sure. It's a two-way street and the cops were obviously the tipping point.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

For this to be going on in "the home of the free" 2014 is beyond belief.

These cops are acting like jack-booted thugs, and it will be interesting to revisit this thread 6 months from now to see what the consequences have been.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:These cops are acting like jack-booted thugs, and it will be interesting to revisit this thread 6 months from now to see what the consequences have been.
I can help you out there.

None. There will be none.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

What a trainwreck this governor press conference is. I'm guessing he gets money from the police union.