Swamp Shopping Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Swamp Shopping Guide

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:37 pm One of the cats knocked his food bowl over and broke it. To replace it, I looked at the bowls at Petsmart, and they are pretty freaking expensive for what they are. So, I walked down to the local thrift store and bought a couple nice ceramic cereal bowls for 99 cents each. Score.
Most old lady thing ever written in the Swamp
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You really know how to hurt a guy! (Harsh, but fair.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We bought one of those pet watering bowls that has the pump and filter and the friggin pump went about 4 months in. Ordered 3 different pumps of the Zon and they all shoot frigging water a foot in the air (got pet specific, one with a variable power, etc.) finally had to break down and get a new one.

And our kitten broke his bowl (it's a little bowl with a Siamese face on it) glued it together, with crazy glue, not a hot glue gun like SC would have done. Don't worry no glue in eating areas.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

speaking of vacuums. thoughts?

I'm also thinking about finally quitting Amazon and counting on Walmart for onine shopping. Anyone else quit Amazon?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:49 pm speaking of vacuums. thoughts?

I'm also thinking about finally quitting Amazon and counting on Walmart for onine shopping. Anyone else quit Amazon?
Ours is purple. I really can't tell the difference between the sharks in the lift away models. I think they do that so you don't price shop across channels. But the lift away is really nice and the way it pivots when vacuuming makes my wife laugh because I pretend to be dancing with it...but I am vacuuming so she knows not to laugh too much or I will let her do the cleaning. I also like the lift away ability for stairs and such.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

No sharks right now but a dyson animal and Bissel on deep discount
https://www.woot.com/category/home/vacu ... et_home_20
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone have strong opinions on (middle school) kids headphones? Specific ones or a more general yes/no on whether to give them in-ear like airpods?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:18 pm Anyone have strong opinions on (middle school) kids headphones? Specific ones or a more general yes/no on whether to give them in-ear like airpods?
Yes, but nobody listens to me. Fought my daughter getting on-brand Airpods last year for her birthday. Tried to convince her that she couldn't tell the difference between cheap knockoffs and the real deal, and more importantly, her friends wouldn't be able to tell. Sure enough, she lost them within days, and since she didn't charge them or tell us she lost them for several days, Find my Phone app didn't help. I much preferred her having the large Beats-style headphones, because it was easy to find when she left them everywhere from my car, the kitchen, garage, soccer bag... She insisted on the real deal for Christmas, but I convinced my parents to get used ones, and a year later, she still has them after a close call shortly after getting them.

My only concern was that they are easier to lose. My son has the same pair for 4 or 5 years now, no issues with them fitting/staying or damaging hearing.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

get the airpods. they fit kids fine so far as I can tell. now i didnt purchase them but they are in possession of 3/4 two years later and a couple have been washed. From what the kids say there is a market in newly acquired airpods so the right connections would probably get them some for about $25. I also saw some for $99? at or around black friday. not the pro or upgraded new model. fwiw i dont even have an iphone and could care less but the kids appreciate
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I have been on the Anker brand for years. Way less expensive than the cool kids, but they look fine, have lots of options in style (in ear, hook over ear, etc) and all the features. They are all waterproof/sweatproof protected (IPX 5 or 7 or such). For my kids we have a few options in the house (over the head, in ear). Because we went cheap we don't mind having options)
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:18 pm Anyone have strong opinions on (middle school) kids headphones? Specific ones or a more general yes/no on whether to give them in-ear like airpods?
My only opinion is to get them ones with built in volume limiting. We got these for our (much younger) kid, and they're fantastic and would totally work for kids probably up to about high school (then they might be too small), depending on head size.

https://purosound.com/products/bt2200-p ... 4599335583
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:27 pm
Yes, but nobody listens to me. Fought my daughter getting on-brand Airpods last year for her birthday. Tried to convince her that she couldn't tell the difference between cheap knockoffs and the real deal, and more importantly, her friends wouldn't be able to tell. Sure enough, she lost them within days, and since she didn't charge them or tell us she lost them for several days, Find my Phone app didn't help. I much preferred her having the large Beats-style headphones, because it was easy to find when she left them everywhere from my car, the kitchen, garage, soccer bag... She insisted on the real deal for Christmas, but I convinced my parents to get used ones, and a year later, she still has them after a close call shortly after getting them.

My only concern was that they are easier to lose. My son has the same pair for 4 or 5 years now, no issues with them fitting/staying or damaging hearing.
Cut to Saturday. Both kids ran a 5K. A couple hours after getting home, I get a call from a number I don't recognize and happen to take it, which I never do. Organizer of the 5K said she is on a mission to find the owner of the airpods turned in after the race, and she is starting by calling of the kids. I start to say they aren't ours, then realize who I'm dealing with. I ask my daughter if she lost her airpods, she checks her pocket and panics realizing for the first time, that she doesn't have them. Unbelievable. And apparently my son got new brand named airpods last year, as I learned in reading my post from last year while looking for this thread.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

billy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:07 pm
My only opinion is to get them ones with built in volume limiting. We got these for our (much younger) kid, and they're fantastic and would totally work for kids probably up to about high school (then they might be too small), depending on head size.

https://purosound.com/products/bt2200-p ... 4599335583
Exact ones we had too but they've physically and stylistically outgrown them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.